Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Brooding Corner

Options

Comments

• Registered Users, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 68,370 Mod ✭✭✭✭Grid.

Need a bit of a rant to get this off my chest

I'm not sure if this is just me or not... but when you have a relationship or friendship with someone I find it awful annoying that I have to keep things going, this includes chats and suggesting things to do. In my experience it should be a two way street, a bit from them and a bit from me. Lately it's all me that's making the effort:(

You're right smiler.....it should be reciprocated, no harm in letting the other folk know that you'd appreciate some input. A bit of gentle encouragement.;):)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,004 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Need a bit of a rant to get this off my chest

I'm not sure if this is just me or not... but when you have a relationship or friendship with someone I find it awful annoying that I have to keep things going, this includes chats and suggesting things to do. In my experience it should be a two way street, a bit from them and a bit from me. Lately it's all me that's making the effort:(

btw I don't mean any of you lot, you're all great:) <3

I know that feeling smiler allĺlll too well :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,604 ✭✭✭writer_lady170

thanks grid and steph:) I may have a word with them and as you say gentle encouragement. Just a bit annoying when it happens cos I tend to feel a bit lonely and blah...thanks though:) good to know that I'm not the only one

Interesting to hear the other side of it as well, I don't think most people would be annoyed if you started a conversation with them, most would be glad and happy to talk with you:) *It's part of our human nature to want human contact and most people would be glad of the chat etc. In short, if you want to start a conversation etc, go for it:)

*sorry going on all dr on ye!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,711 ✭✭✭C.K Dexter Haven

thanks grid and steph:) I may have a word with them and as you say gentle encouragement. Just a bit annoying when it happens cos I tend to feel a bit lonely and blah...thanks though:) good to know that I'm not the only one

Interesting to hear the other side of it as well, I don't think most people would be annoyed if you started a conversation with them, most would be glad and happy to talk with you:) *It's part of our human nature to want human contact and most people would be glad of the chat etc. In short, if you want to start a conversation etc, go for it:)

*sorry going on all dr on ye!

Some people talk, some listen, and talk less. Some wait for someone else to organise things- some are the organisers. Try and reflect a bit more on what your friends preferences are- then adapt accordingly. Don't lose a friend just because "you're always making the suggestions"- it might be that they like things that way or it might be they can do no different- but you can:)don't let it worry you though- friends are hard to come by, so keep them where you can.
    Just a thought but you'll know best:)

• Registered Users Posts: 40,401 ✭✭✭✭x Purple Pawprints x

Feeling a bit like this now. Kinda tired of starting conversations and feeling like I'm an annoyance

• Advertisement

thanks dexter:) very insightful, I'll give it some thought

*hugs* pp

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Sometimes the reason you're not getting any input from someone is because they think they've overdone it and are scared of annoying you! :o

God knows I've been at both ends of this issue before... sometimes I think shy people like myself should come equipped with a warning sign :D:p

*hugs pp and smiler* :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭andyman

Ever feel like life is just going nowhere?

Don't get me wrong. I don't regret a thing I've done thus far but lately I feel like I've just hit a dead end. My current part-time job (which was to get me through college) is in a club working weekend nights meaning I can't see my friends. The degree I'll be getting is one that qualifies me to enter a career with very little prospects right now and it's not really something I want to enter right now anyway. On top of that, the career I do want to get into is very, very difficult, and even then to get a foot in the door I might have to work for free.

What is it with people being all over you one minute and then literally no contact the next?

I know I shouldn't expect much considering I got chatting to him on Tinder but does nobody have any manners to say "Actually, I'm not interested, sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

Too many people just want quick entertainment & things that require the least work. (Directed at Mr Tinder btw Paws)

People are getting more & more lazy as technologies increase. Too many of these social media types are fads & people drop it when the next craze going on.

When did I turn into Victor Meldrew.

• Advertisement

Yep, true.

Really not liking being single right now, I usually don't care. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭kissmequick

I need to get in on this Tinder craic! :) Somebody needs to buy me an iphone first though. :/ Paws is there any nice guys on there from Galway?! :D :P

I don't have my distance set that far haha... maybe I should widen it a bit considering the ones near me have no manners!

Well you can drive a bit now paws. Jus sayin like........ You could include couple of neighbouring areas or however it works. Include Galway and report back. ;) *whistles nonchalantly*

I wrote a post there, was for the Lair Thread but realized my err of ways when about 10 new pages appeared that I don't remember reading! And I've have absolutely no idea where I put it!! I've a million assorted different tabs open with Boards stuff. Jaysus. /itcouldbeanywhere

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Yep, true.

Really not liking being single right now, I usually don't care. :(
    To paraphrase what I was saying last night, some people deserve to be hit with a chair.

A recent thing-to-do I've realized for whenever I'm feeling like that again, - is read the Thread on annoying things about your Partner! That might work. :) And then afterwards read the Ranting & Raving Threads and you'll be laughing. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭akamossy

Just got the news that my best friends mum is dying when only last week they were hopeful about her fighting and recovering from the cancer. She had just beat breast cancer and got diagnosed with ovarian cancer two weeks ago. I'm absolutely devastated

Sh1t, mossy that's awful. Don't really know what to say except that I'm thinking of you all x

that awful, sorry to hear mossy:( thinking of you all. pm is there if you need an ear/chat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,891 ✭✭✭✭Hugo Stiglitz

Sorry to hear that Mossy :(

• Advertisement

My friend and her fiancé got married today so that her Mother could be there. Today is a happy day for them. So glad she got to see them get married

• Registered Users Posts: 8,614 ✭✭✭Mozzeltoff

Today has been a bad day.

I woke up at ten to seven this morning to a phone call from the OHs cousins partner. She had changed her mind about taking on Buster (the husky) as she was afraid that he would only do more damage in the future. She had hoped I wouldn't have any hard feelings towards her but to be honest, she was asking a lot of me. For in those few brief minutes on the phone I had come to the realisation that Buster was doomed no matter what.

Frantically, I tried to come up with a solution as to what to do. I did not want to condemn this dog. Not a hope. I decided to ring the shelter I rescued him from but once they heard what had happened, they just hung up the phone.
    (For those of you who don't know what he did, he broke out, got loose and attacked a goat. He didn't kill or maim the goat but he did give it a nasty tear along it's belly and back leg.)

I sat down and thought my options through. Ok let's say I did get him a home? What if they had small kids and he attacked them? What if they lived in the countryside? What if he did it again but the next time he did more damage? Yet what if we did find him someone that lived in a town,that could provide him a good home and would be well out of harms way? Chances were slim.

My OH sat down with me and told me straight out that no matter how much I tried, I couldn't save him from his faith because he did it before, he'll do it again. I refused to believe this. I tried a few more animal shelters. One in particular was very helpful but they couldn't take him as they were full up.

My OH sat me down once more and told me to face the facts. The dog had gone out and harmed a farmers livestock. The dog now had the taste of blood and would only do it again given half the chance. I was responsible for him no matter what and giving him over to someone else would be completely irresponsible of me. He was my problem and I had to deal with it. Not shove over to someone else.

I reluctantly rang the pound and told them to be expecting us. I walked Buster to the car, opened the door and he jumped in. He gave me this heart wrenching look as if he knew what was going on. I sat into the passenger side and OH started Busters final journey. we drove on in silence for a few minutes until my heart just shattered itself and I started to bawl. I didn't want this to happen him. I looked back at him and he sat there silently, watching the world pass him by for the last time. I pleaded with my mind to come up with another answer to this problem but nothing. I try to reason with myself that it was for the best but it just cut me even more.

Finally we got to the pound. OH told me to stay in the car but I couldn't. I needed to be with Buster. When we got into the reception a man appeared behind the counter and OH explained to him why we were giving him up. Straight away he said "You're doing the right thing" which made me bawl like a small child. He produced some forms for me sign.

I signed the dogs death warrant.

I hugged him one last time, told him I loved him no matter what and not to be scared. I then watched him go through the doors, tail between his legs all the while the man trying to reassure me that I was doing the right thing.

I may have done the right thing but it still doesn't make it any easier. I signed my pets life away. I gave them the go ahead to put him to sleep and that just makes me feel like a monster. I miss him so much and I am just a blubbering wreck of a person. I know he was a dog but **** it, I am grieving for him like I would for family.

Jesus. Mozz I don't know what to say. I'm trying not to cry for you here x

• Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

Fck Mozzie :( thats awful to hear.

You did all you could to try & prevent this. I know it is hard to hear but you did all you could. You tried your hardest to rehome him.

Too many people just dump or give up animals when they get two big or bored with them. You took one of these in & gave him a loving family, more people should be like you.

I have never had to go through this kind of situation, but having grown up on a farm, have seen dogs & animals pass. Too non animal lovers there is no easy way to explain what you are going through. In some ways it is worse than losing a human family member.

Let yourself grieve, we are all hear if you need to vent or PM.

Don't let this put you off giving another dog a loving home a couple of months down the line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,891 ✭✭✭✭Hugo Stiglitz

Sorry to hear about that MT. You are not a monster at all. *hugs*

• Registered Users Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭EZ24GET

this makes me bawl too. I know we can't save all dogs but still I want to.:(

• Registered Users, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 68,370 Mod ✭✭✭✭Grid.

So sorry to hear that Mozz:(.....you did the best you could!;)

My friends mum passed away this morning. Devastated :(

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,738 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

akamossy wrote: »
    My friends mum passed away this morning. Devastated :(

Oh Mossy, hugs for you. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭EZ24GET

hugs to you and to all the family...

Advertisement