Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Germany putting the foot down

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭Gruffalo

axer wrote: »
    Try talking to the germans about their mistakes that they haven't rectified. Which mistakes would they be then?

Ha Ha if you want to make the point then you can answer the question?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,130 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Gruffalo wrote: »
    Try criticising Germany for things they have done which you dont agree with and see how far that gets you.

Yes some Germans and indeed other Europenas (politicans manily I would bet) do see our vote on Lisbon as being a slap in the face.
    Afterall the original constitution was negotiated by Irish PM and Ireland has always gotten way more out of EU than we ever contributed.
    I am not German

I think we guested that by now :rolleyes:
    peasant wrote: »
    I think you're grasping at straws.

The EU, or rather the european central bank may or may not have to "do something", but "the Germans" or Germany on their own/off their own batt? ...forget it.

Yes but what Eurozone economies have the wherewithall to provide most of the necessary funds for any bailouts ?
    Who is the biggest economy in the Eurozone ?
    Valid argument, but just try talking to Germans about their mistakes. How would they feel if we attacked them in the press and without a proper argument - read Fergalr's comment earlier.

It was just a cheap shot.

Ah perish the thought anybody outside our little country would mention the fact that we have a political system, a financial regulatory system, and a banking sector that is a crock of sh** and we are not really doing anything to rectify the situation.
    So the fact that in comparison to other EU member state politicans our politicans are on much higher renumeration and expenses is not a proper argument for stating the bleedin obvious as it seems this guy did.
    If like fergalr you bring the US into it, it doesn't make the Germans look bad, it just makes us look ten times worse, but of course if you can't see that and would rather complain about people pointing out our problems then fine :rolleyes:

PS it is anything but a cheap shot, it is costing us billions and what worries this German gentleman is will it cost him and his compatriots billions as well :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭Gruffalo

jmayo wrote: »
    Yes some Germans and indeed other Europenas (politicans manily I would bet) do see our vote on Lisbon as being a slap in the face.

That is because they dont respect our democratic right to object to something which will definitely affect us. Yet they demand the right to object to something which will probably never affect them. Maybe you are too naive to see the hyprocisy in that.

Afterall the original constitution was negotiated by Irish PM and Ireland has always gotten way more out of EU than we ever contributed.

Who cares who negotiated it , we expressed our democratic right as enshrined in the Irish Constitution, to reject something which would definitely affect us.

Yes but what Eurozone economies have the wherewithall to provide most of the necessary funds for any bailouts ?
    Who is the biggest economy in the Eurozone ?

Bailouts which may never be required.
    If we need them to bail us out then they will have the right to a say. Not until then

Ah perish the thought anybody outside our little country would mention the fact that we have a political system, a financial regulatory system, and a banking sector that is a crock of sh** and we are not really doing anything to rectify the situation.

All he commented on was the pay, he did not provide anything constructive.

So the fact that in comparison to other EU member state politicans our politicans are on much higher renumeration and expenses is not a proper argument for stating the bleedin obvious as it seems this guy did.

Not much higher than Germany itself. In fact when you allow for the pension levy Cowen will get paid less than Merkel.

If like fergalr you bring the US into it, it doesn't make the Germans look bad, it just makes us look ten times worse, but of course if you can't see that and would rather complain about people pointing out our problems then fine :rolleyes:

Fergal's example is perfectly appropriate. This guy complained about Irish TD wages because he represents more people. If he was to compare himself to the Americans then he is grossly overpaid. It is a stupid means to determine pay but if he is going to do it then he should be consistent.

PS it is anything but a cheap shot, it is costing us billions and what worries this German gentleman is will it cost him and his compatriots billions as well

At this point in time it wont so it is none of his business and yes it is a cheap shot.

Everybody seems convinced that we will need to be bailed out, I didn't realise that we had so many economists.

Everybody seems convinced that we will need to be bailed out, I didn't realise that we had so many economists.

Speaking of disregaridng our decision on Lisbon, I seem to remember a few other parties on this island disregarding democratic mandates and the democratic will of the majority of the people.

And pray tell us what do you think will happen to our economy ?
    Our banks are worthless, the two major banks in all likelyhood are going to be nationalised ?
    The level of bad debts been hidden by Anglo and the other big two is much greater than what has been released to date, what will that do for our credit rating when that little chestnut finally comes out.
    Our unemployment growth figures are going through the roof and thus public welfare spending, whereas our tax revenues are decreasing every month.

All the while the government are diddling and fiddling and the hole is getting bigger and bigger.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Want to tell us which money was pissed up the wall. Germany do not have the right and neither do you English. To get European money an application is submitted for funding. They have the right to check up on that if there money is included in the funding.
    I've worked all my life mainly paying taxes to a uk government that paid billions into the eu on the basis that the smaller economies would get rich and ultimately repay the debt. I then moved to one of those countries and have just how the money has been mismanaged and pissed up the wall. This country had it's hand constantly out to the eu to fund poorly managed road building schemes, politicians looking after their mates and spending millions on tribunals etc which come to nothing. I live in ireland, pay tax here and have a vote so don't ****ing tell me I can't comment. The government has been riding the eu and the voters for years. The Irish didn't seem to realise it because they kept voting for anyone with a fianna fail badge. Jesus, half the TD,s election campaign was that they were part of Bertie's team. At the time the gob****e was getting caught left right and centre with his hands in the till they got voted back in. If the people of Ireland can't see it then I welcome someone from outside pointing it out. Germany is probably the most respected country in the eu so it is good it comes from them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Dannyboy83

peasant wrote: »
    I think you're grasping at straws.

The EU, or rather the european central bank may or may not have to "do something", but "the Germans" or Germany on their own/off their own batt? ...forget it.

I have to make this brief, but who will do it if not the Germans?

The Brits?
    http://www.sott.net/articles/show/179291-UK-recession-will-drag-into-2010-as-others-recover-says-IMF

• Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

Dannyboy83 wrote: »

The Brits?
    http://www.sott.net/articles/show/179291-UK-recession-will-drag-into-2010-as-others-recover-says-IMF
    it dident take long for the anti/british lobby to get their threads going ;this thread is about ireland and germany[if you make your bed you must----

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭SWL

I've worked all my life mainly paying taxes to a uk government that paid billions into the eu on the basis that the smaller economies would get rich and ultimately repay the debt. I then moved to one of those countries and have just how the money has been mismanaged and pissed up the wall. This country had it's hand constantly out to the eu to fund poorly managed road building schemes, politicians looking after their mates and spending millions on tribunals etc which come to nothing. I live in ireland, pay tax here and have a vote so don't ****ing tell me I can't comment. The government has been riding the eu and the voters for years. The Irish didn't seem to realise it because they kept voting for anyone with a fianna fail badge. Jesus, half the TD,s election campaign was that they were part of Bertie's team. At the time the gob****e was getting caught left right and centre with his hands in the till they got voted back in. If the people of Ireland can't see it then I welcome someone from outside pointing it out. Germany is probably the most respected country in the eu so it is good it comes from them.

I agree with your sentiments 100%, but I think its worth pointing out that other regions in the EU received as much in Funds from the EU as Ireland, southern Italy and Portugal, it is widely recognised that Ireland has used its funding in the most effective manner unlike southern Italy where it disappeared and nothing to show for it. Can’t post a link because I am patristic at this PC stuff, but the EU office in Dublin I am sure can conform this.

The Brits?
    getz wrote: »
    it dident take long for the anti/british lobby to get their threads going ;this thread is about ireland and germany[if you make your bed you must----

I think it is a reasonable point. The EU does not magic money out of thin air, nor does the ECB, it has to come from somewhere. The ECB can't just start printing bank notes because Ireland or Spain need a few quid, it has to come from within the european or eurozone economy.

Britain is not in the eurozone so they have no interest in bailing it out, but if they were there is little chance they could anyway given the plight of the UK economy.

The Germany economy is deep in the **** at the moment, but not as deep as the rest of the EU so I can't imagine there is little appetite for pumping more money into failing economies.

SWL wrote: »
    I agree with your sentiments 100%, but I think its worth pointing out that other regions in the EU received as much in Funds from the EU as Ireland, southern Italy and Portugal, it is widely recognised that Ireland has used its funding in the most effective manner unlike southern Italy where it disappeared and nothing to show for it. Can’t post a link because I am patristic at this PC stuff, but the EU office in Dublin I am sure can conform this.

I don't doubt it at all. It is just another reason why there are so many eurosceptics in the UK.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Cosmo K

Just my two cents, as a german, who is living in Ireland since 2001, I have to say, peasant is a 100% right.....no politician in germany gives a damn about Ireland at the moment.

Really, a bail out for Ireland is not even discussed in germany at the moment. Yes, form time to time there are newspaper articles about Ireland in the german press, but they only report on the state of the irish economy.

Probably the most discussed subject in germany right now, is the imminent collapse of Opel.

Opel is looking for 3.3 billion euros from the german govement, and the public opinion is heavily divided on that issue. Some people say, Opel has to be rescued at any price, other people argue, that the state cannot bail out every company thats in financial difficulties at the moment.

It would be very hard, to convince the german public, that the german tax payer has to bail out Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

Yet they demand the right to object to something which will probably never affect them. Maybe you are too naive to see the hyprocisy in that.
    Maybe you are too naïve to realise the effect that a bankrupt Ireland would have on the EU?
    Bailouts which may never be required. If we need them to bail us out then they will have the right to a say. Not until then
    So it’s only after the stuff hits the fan that anybody outside Ireland gets to have a say? I’m afraid it doesn’t work like that. All EU member states are required to keep their house in order; thems the conditions we signed up to. If a member state is in breach of those conditions by, say, for example, running a massive budget deficit, then the other member states are perfectly within their rights to comment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭Zynks

Cosmo K wrote: »
    Opel is looking for 3.3 billion euros from the german govement, and the public opinion is heavily divided on that issue. Some people say, Opel has to be rescued at any price, other people argue, that the state cannot bail out every company thats in financial difficulties at the moment.

3.3 bn to rescue Opel?!? How much did we put into Anglo? It seems that there is a bargain to be had in Germany that could create a lot of Irish jobs :D

getz wrote: »

Sorry, but that was totally clueless and I resent being labelled anti-brit or whatever; wind your neck in and have a think about it, I'm sure you'll understand it

Just my two cents, as a german, who is living in Ireland since 2001, I have to say, peasant is a 100% right.....no politician in germany gives a damn about Ireland at the moment.

Really, a bail out for Ireland is not even discussed in germany at the moment. Yes, form time to time there are newspaper articles about Ireland in the german press, but they only report on the state of the irish economy.

Probably the most discussed subject in germany right now, is the imminent collapse of Opel.

It would be very hard, to convince the german public, that the german tax payer has to bail out Ireland.

The weak Sterling must have really hit the German car market. I know the UK is one of BMW and VAG's larger markets so not only would they be selling less cars, the ones they do sell are worth a lot less to the parent company.

When the world gets out of this recession, it could look very different. If Opel go bust what next, GM themselves? Ford?

Interesting comments, thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭fergalr

jmayo wrote: »
    Just to be clear, I wasn't in any way defending the way the country was run.
    I just pointed out that to attack the salary of TDs (they get paid roughly the same as German MPs) on the basis that they have less constituents, is stupid.

I only introduced the example of the US Senators to show that numbers of constituents is a silly metric on which to base a complaint about pay.

Also - expenses aren't pay. If the accounting is done properly, expenses cover extra necessary costs of doing your job. If the accounting isn't done properly and people are claiming for things they shouldn't (and I'm quite willing to believe it isn't) it's an administration problem, not a remuneration problem. The cost of an assistant isn't pay either (it was implied to be part of pay in the original article); to count it as such is disingenuous.

It's completely understandable, to me, that people are dissatisfied with the results of the jobs done by some Irish politicians.
    But expressing this anger by complaining, as in the original quote, that they are overpaid because they have much less constituents than a german politician, or have an extra assistant, is not constructive.

Just a personal view here, but I think this country needs much more efficient, clearcut, rational thought, and much less rhetoric, less appeals to selfishness, and less arguments that don't hold water.

Too many people seem to be angry, not because things were run badly, but because of the way the bad running of the country is now effecting them...

Would anyone care if the politicians were getting more than the German or American or wherever-the-hell-you-want ones, if they were doing a good job?
    No; they apparently weren't even doing a good job for years, but as long as it wasn't directly hurting each of us, people didn't care.

It's a red herring to say that we are upset because they are getting paid more than germany - people are angry because they apparently haven't been doing a good job; that's enough reason, why do we need to go comparing constituent sizes, and numbers of assistants, and other irrelevancies?

And I always think, the problem remains - collectively, not individually - in no small part with us, the people of Ireland, for not electing better politicians. Collectively, as a people, we obviously did not care enough about how well the country was being run, as long as we were getting more money, and 'times were good'.

We need to take responsibility for that before we can fix things, and getting angry about constituency sizes compared to Germany is not a step down the right path, imo....

fergalr wrote: »
    Just to be clear, I wasn't in any way defending the way the country was run.
    I just pointed out that to attack the salary of TDs (they get paid roughly the same as German MPs) on the basis that they have less constituents, is stupid.

I only introduced the example of the US Senators to show that numbers of constituents is a silly metric on which to base a complaint about pay.

Also - expenses aren't pay. If the accounting is done properly, expenses cover extra necessary costs of doing your job. If the accounting isn't done properly and people are claiming for things they shouldn't (and I'm quite willing to believe it isn't) it's an administration problem, not a remuneration problem. The cost of an assistant isn't pay either (it was implied to be part of pay in the original article); to count it as such is disingenuous.

It's completely understandable, to me, that people are dissatisfied with the results of the jobs done by some Irish politicians.
    But expressing this anger by complaining, as in the original quote, that they are overpaid because they have much less constituents than a german politician, or have an extra assistant, is not constructive.

Just a personal view here, but I think this country needs much more efficient, clearcut, rational thought, and much less rhetoric, less appeals to selfishness, and less arguments that don't hold water.

Too many people seem to be angry, not because things were run badly, but because of the way the bad running of the country is now effecting them...

Would anyone care if the politicians were getting more than the German or American or wherever-the-hell-you-want ones, if they were doing a good job?
    No; they apparently weren't even doing a good job for years, but as long as it wasn't directly hurting each of us, people didn't care.

It's a red herring to say that we are upset because they are getting paid more than germany - people are angry because they apparently haven't been doing a good job; that's enough reason, why do we need to go comparing constituent sizes, and numbers of assistants, and other irrelevancies?

And I always think, the problem remains - collectively, not individually - in no small part with us, the people of Ireland, for not electing better politicians. Collectively, as a people, we obviously did not care enough about how well the country was being run, as long as we were getting more money, and 'times were good'.

We need to take responsibility for that before we can fix things, and getting angry about constituency sizes compared to Germany is not a step down the right path, imo....

I understand your point and your logic is perfectly reasonable.

On the other hand, people have to start a protest; somewhere;sometime;concerning something.

Where do you suggest people should start to look for reform?

The weak Sterling must have really hit the German car market. I know the UK is one of BMW and VAG's larger markets so not only would they be selling less cars, the ones they do sell are worth a lot less to the parent company.

When the world gets out of this recession, it could look very different. If Opel go bust what next, GM themselves? Ford?

Fratton Fred Ford, GM and Chrysler are in deep deep trouble, remember their bailout by Washington.
    GM is being crucified by pensions and healthcare costs of current and ex employees.
    As well as Opel, Saab is in deep trouble.

Ford offloaded Land Rover, Jaguar and Aston Martin in 2007 & 2008 to Tata.
    Yes some of Britains famous marks are owned by people from one of the old colonies or was india ever an actual colony ?
    Volvo is the only one left in Ford's Premier Automotive Group.

AFAIK the only profitable arm of Ford a few years ago was their leasing division, everything else was in the red.
    Chyrsler's famous merger (or shoudl that be takeover by) with Daimler Benz ended in 2007 when the Germans managed to offload over 80% of the company to Cerberus Capital Management.
    BTW their 19% stake was worth zero book value according to Daimler Benz in 2008.

The American car companies sales are down because even Americans are buying Japanese cars because of reliability and fuel economy.

fergalr I wasn't saying you were complaining, like another poster, about the German complaining about our overpaid politicans.
    That's a lot of complaining by the way ;)
    I was alluding to fact that bringing in US consituency size makes us look even worse.
    Yes it isn't the best measure of how a politican should be paid, but it is one that should be still be taken into account.

Our politicans are well paid, they have ministerial pensions even though not pension age and still in the Dail, they have it seems unvouched for expenses and then government members have added perk of having paid civil servants doing their constituency work so that they can get a jump on being relected.
    They are very well remunerated and honestly they come up far shorter, I would bet, than the elected representatives of most other countries.

Oh yeah, I know how bad the car industry is doing at the moment, but that is probably a bigger problem for Germany than it is for a lot of other countries at the moment. Opel, Ford, VAG, BMW and Mercedes not to mention Porsche make a significant chunk of Germany's exports.

I doubt the German presidents of these companies had the cheek to fly in their private jets to ask for a bail out though :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭fergalr

Thanks.
    On the other hand, people have to start a protest; somewhere;sometime;concerning something.

They do - it's a fair point.
    I just think that 'protest' or statement of grievance, has to be very rational, and well thought out. If it's not, it either doesn't get support, because it's written off as the 'lunatic fringe' (perhaps unjustly) by the majority of people - or perhaps worse, if it causes change, the change might do more harm than good. (I don't want to re-derail this thread with lisbon, but the 'commissioner' issue there would be an example of this for me - while I think there's plenty of valid reasons against lisbon, the seemingly widely misunderstood changes to the commissioners is probably going to result in bad solutions in the long run).

Where do you suggest people should start to look for reform?

This isn't an easy question to answer.
    (Also, I don't think that pointing out that a particular approach is flawed means you should have to suggest another approach.)

I guess people could try and lobby/protest for some sort of credible alternative to the current political choices in Ireland - or demand reform off of the existing choices.
    Not reform in that they have to take a pay cut - reform in that they must do a better job in future.

Everyone is fixated on bankers salaries, and TDs salaries.
    Really, those things don't matter much at all.
    Sure, a bank exec getting 3million euro salary rankles when your being told to pay an extra 10% levy - but the reason for the problems wasn't that all the 3million euro salaries caused the banks to get into trouble; nor was it that the high cost of TDs salaries caused the economy to sink. It's that banks were mismanaged, and that the government apparently mismanaged the economy.

Like, if the problem is that people think our current government incompetent, then organise protest against government incompetence, not against their salaries. Write to your local TD and tell them what you think, and that they'll lose your vote if their party doesn't put someone more credible in charge.

If the opposition isn't credibly competent to vote in, write to them and tell them that they need to change their leadership.

If they don't listen, move along the line.

I'm not an economist, nor a political activist (far from both!).
    But, like a lot of Irish people, I'm trying to get my head around the idea that Ireland, as a nation, was not run as well as it should have been. Special interests, incompetence, mismanagement, average joe footing the bill...
    ...I guess I'm just saying that if we don't all want to be footing another bill in 20 years, then there's no point getting worked up about TDs salaries being 10% higher than they should be, or what they are relative to germany - instead, we should be trying to figure out what caused this whole mess in the first place, and how to put people in charge that will A) Credibly and competently clean it up B) Reduce the risk of it re-occurring.
    I don't think it's anyway partisan or fringe to suggest that many Irish people are not convinced about our current leadership - and indeed the other potential leadership candidates - ability to fulfil these objectives.

That's the problem we should be thinking about - not what some german guy said about relative salaries.

fergalr wrote: »
    Thanks.

They do - it's a fair point.
    I just think that 'protest' or statement of grievance, has to be very rational, and well thought out. If it's not, it either doesn't get support, because it's written off as the 'lunatic fringe' (perhaps unjustly) by the majority of people - or perhaps worse, if it causes change, the change might do more harm than good. (I don't want to re-derail this thread with lisbon, but the 'commissioner' issue there would be an example of this for me - while I think there's plenty of valid reasons against lisbon, the seemingly widely misunderstood changes to the commissioners is probably going to result in bad solutions in the long run).

This isn't an easy question to answer.
    (Also, I don't think that pointing out that a particular approach is flawed means you should have to suggest another approach.)

I guess people could try and lobby/protest for some sort of credible alternative to the current political choices in Ireland - or demand reform off of the existing choices.
    Not reform in that they have to take a pay cut - reform in that they must do a better job in future.

Everyone is fixated on bankers salaries, and TDs salaries.
    Really, those things don't matter much at all.
    Sure, a bank exec getting 3million euro salary rankles when your being told to pay an extra 10% levy - but the reason for the problems wasn't that all the 3million euro salaries caused the banks to get into trouble; nor was it that the high cost of TDs salaries caused the economy to sink. It's that banks were mismanaged, and that the government apparently mismanaged the economy.

Like, if the problem is that people think our current government incompetent, then organise protest against government incompetence, not against their salaries. Write to your local TD and tell them what you think, and that they'll lose your vote if their party doesn't put someone more credible in charge.

If the opposition isn't credibly competent to vote in, write to them and tell them that they need to change their leadership.

If they don't listen, move along the line.

I'm not an economist, nor a political activist (far from both!).
    But, like a lot of Irish people, I'm trying to get my head around the idea that Ireland, as a nation, was not run as well as it should have been. Special interests, incompetence, mismanagement, average joe footing the bill...
    ...I guess I'm just saying that if we don't all want to be footing another bill in 20 years, then there's no point getting worked up about TDs salaries being 10% higher than they should be, or what they are relative to germany - instead, we should be trying to figure out what caused this whole mess in the first place, and how to put people in charge that will A) Credibly and competently clean it up B) Reduce the risk of it re-occurring.
    I don't think it's anyway partisan or fringe to suggest that many Irish people are not convinced about our current leadership - and indeed the other potential leadership candidates - ability to fulfil these objectives.

That's the problem we should be thinking about - not what some german guy said about relative salaries.

Well, I don't think anyone would object to that.
    But the time for ideals has passed.

We must set quantifiable targets.
    We cannot ask our politicians to perform better, it would be like sticking our heads in the sand and hoping it would go away.

A) We need to establish some quantifiable criteria for the government to meet starting from April
    B) If they don't meet it, they must be ejected from office immediately (Military coup :D
    C) and appoint someone who can do it for us before the Germans appoint the IMF

Ideas of quantifiable targets:

Shortfall = y
    Income= x
    ===========
    Reduce expenditure= z
    Tax increases = a

Other ideas:
    A) TD expenses must be accounted for
    B) TD salary must take a 20-40% hit
    & so forth;
    The only possible way to reform without the country descending into chaos is to start at the top.

[Anybody who has ever played a fooking computer game simulation like Sim City would be able to grasp these basics, I cannot understand how our government have failed to]

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

I see that the German Ambassador appears to agree:
    THE GERMAN ambassador to Ireland has defended remarks he made at a cultural event in Tralee, Co Kerry, in which he warned of the consequences of a second rejection of the Lisbon Treaty.

Christian Pauls was reported to have told an audience gathered for the official launch of a partnership between Tralee and the Frankfurt- Höchst Schlossfest that Ireland would “throw away its future” if it voted No in a second referendum on the treaty.

Ireland could not have an a la carte approach to Europe and simply pick and choose what it liked, he said, according to local media reports of the event which took place on Monday.

The ambassador was also said to have noted that rural regions such as Kerry returned a much higher No vote than urban areas in last year’s referendum.

He reportedly made pointed references to those who “complain about other nations fishing in their waters. . . and forget who pays their milk subsidies”.

Informed of the reports yesterday, Mr Pauls told The Irish Times that while he could not recall using “those exact words”, he admitted that he had said “something along those lines” at the event.

“The reports make it sound like I was lecturing Ireland and the Irish but it was not meant to be aggressive or demeaning,” he said.

“A second No would have horrific consequences for Ireland and I am not the first to say it. I don’t think there is anything particularly new in that.”

The ambassador rejected suggestions his remarks could be considered undiplomatic. “They are not. I am simply conveying what my government thinks. That is my job.”

From the Irish Times.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

Thanks for that Scofflaw

Looks like they certainly do care, they've coughed up the lot'o'Euro, the EU economies must be fooking thrashed.

EU leaders agree €5bn economic stimulus package
    Related »
    EU LEADERS have agreed a €5 billion economic stimulus package which will provide more than €100 million EU funding for Irish infrastructure projects.

They are also considering a proposal from the European Commission to raise an extra €25 billion to help EU states that get into financial trouble during the current crisis.

At an EU summit in Brussels last night they signed off on the package, which aims to boost Europe’s flagging economy and increase its security of energy supplies.

“I think we have reached a compromise that everyone can subscribe too,” said Czech prime minister Mirek Topolanek, who as holder of the six-month rotating EU presidency chaired the discussions by European leaders on the €5 billion stimulus package.

Berlin, which has led trenchant opposition to the stimulus package proposed by the commission last December, finally relented when it received guarantees that infrastructure projects not ready to begin in 2009 or 2010 cannot access the EU funds.

The plan, which is dwarfed by member states’ own stimulus efforts that run to €400 million, is financed from unused funds in the EU budget. It includes spending on energy, telecoms and farming projects that can provide an immediate stimulus to the economy.

The list of projects earmarked for funds was amended yesterday to meet the concerns of some EU states, who felt they did not get enough funding for their proposed projects.

The new list proposes to increase the amount of funding for an electricity interconnector between Ireland and Britain to €110 million, up from €100 million. Some €165 million is also available for wind power projects in eight countries, including Ireland. There is also more than €1 billion earmarked for broadband networks and farming projects that are related to the recent health check of the common agricultural policy.
    MY GOD!!!!!
    FOOKING BROADBAND - PISSING THE MONEY DOWN THE 3G TOILET >(
    Minister for Foreign Affairs Micheál Martin welcomed the stimulus package and the financial support it would provide for a proposed interconnector between Ireland and Britain.

Commission president Jose Manuel Barroso said last night he was proposing to increase the ceiling on an emergency fund used to support EU states who are not members of the euro zone to €50 billion, up from €25 billion. The existing fund has already been tapped by Hungary and Latvia, who have received €10 billion. Romania has also made an application to access the fund in the face of the economic and financial crisis. A final decision on whether to recapitalise this so-called “balance of payments fund” will be taken by EU leaders today.

EU leaders also reiterated their opposition to US calls for Europe to launch a much larger stimulus packages to kickstart the world economy, fearing it would increase public deficits and possibly undermine the euro.

“It is not time to look at more growth measures. I disagree with this idea completely,” said German chancellor Angela Merkel shortly before the EU summit began. “A competition to outdo each other with promises will not calm the situation,” she added.

The US has pledged to spend 5.5 per cent of gross domestic product (GDP) on stimulus measures designed to kickstart economic recovery and has asked the EU to increase its own efforts. When taken together the EU is spending 3.3-4 per cent of GDP and wants to wait to see the effect of these measures before pledging more cash.

EU leaders are also expected to pledge at least $75 million in new EU loans to help recapitalise the International Monetary Fund.

What are the chances this money will be needed in urgently underfunded sectors such as Fianna Fail's website?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Uh oh.
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/feedarticle/8413349
    * Euro zone has plan for stricken members - German lawmaker
    * Will probably have to use rescue plan - lawmaker
    * Ireland and Greece worst-hit euro zone states - lawmaker
    (Adds market reaction, ECB no comment, background)
    By John O'Donnell and Paul Carrel
    BERLIN, March 20 (Reuters) - Euro zone countries have agreed a rescue plan to prevent members of the currency bloc going bankrupt and will probably use it, with Ireland and Greece the top candidates for aid, a senior German lawmaker said.
    "There is a plan," said Otto Bernhardt, a member of Chancellor Angela Merkel's Christian Democrats (CDU) who chairs the party's financial policy group in parliament.
    "The finance ministers have agreed the procedures. The core point is: 'We won't let anyone go bust,'" he told Reuters.
    Of all the euro zone states, Bernhardt said Ireland was the in the "worst situation of all", followed by Greece. He made clear that any aid would come at a price.
    "We would look very closely at past sins," Bernhardt said. "We will not tolerate there being low-tax countries like Ireland for example. We will insist on a minimum corporate taxation rate."

The euro fell from just above $1.37 to around $1.368 after Reuters reported Bernhardt's comments.
    Countries such as Ireland and Greece have been hit hard by a sharp economic downturn and are now being forced to pay hefty premiums over stronger bloc members to finance their debt, aggravating their financial troubles.
    Speculation has grown in recent weeks that stronger members of the 16-nation euro zone, like Germany, could step in to help ailing partners.
    On March 3 European Monetary Affairs Commissioner Joaquin Almunia said the euro zone had a way of bailing out its members, if they faced a crisis, before they had to seek help from the International Monetary Fund. However, he refused to give details, saying "it is not clever to talk in public about this solution".
    European Union leaders met in Brussels on Friday to agree their stance for a Group of 20 summit on the global financial crisis in London on April 2.
    Asked what the likelihood was that the plan would be used to rescue a fellow member of the currency area, Bernhardt said: "It depends on how the international crisis develops. It could be that they (Ireland) can manage without getting credit."
    "But the chances we will need to help are greater than the chances that we will not need to help," he added.
    A reserve fund is on standby at the European Central Bank, ready to be tapped at a moment's notice should it be needed, he said. "We have already built up a fund at the ECB," Bernhardt added, saying of any state that needed help: "They would receive loans."
    "We are in a position to act within 24 hours. The ECB would take immediate action," he said. "The ECB can make an unlimited amount of money available."
    The ECB said it had no comment on Bernhardt's remarks.
    Bernhardt said the danger for Germany of not helping would outweigh the cost of helping: "What is the alternative? We would otherwise lose our currency."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 localnutjob

Isnt Cowen over with the EU getting poked with the schnitzel as we speak ?

love to be a fly on the wall in that meeting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭elshambo

Anyone know where the shinners left their guns?

This country is long overdue a bloody proper actual coup
    Clean out the old chums network

Viva Hate!

Vote Brewster in the next election!

OOh and everything the German said is right
    Therefore he is right to say it!

But we all know that!
    And 6 months before every election FF wheel out the TAX cuts
    and "yer grandfather fought with" lines
    and were socialist capitalist neo geo meo liberialist nationalist not nationalist messages

AND people vote for the TAX cut

No TAX cuts anymore :eek:

ALL political parties everywhere
    are Party first, country second
    Just we seem to have the most Party first party in Europe (except maybe New Labour)
    And now we are going to suffer for it!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

gurramok wrote: »
    Uh oh.

Well, according to Reuters and Micheál Martin Ireland doesn't need or want EU help

http://de.reuters.com/article/worldNews/idDEBEE52J08220090320

(article in German)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,908 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

Yeah, just like the banks didn't want or need govt help?

• Advertisement

Between Obama fining off-shoring and Germany's harmonising tax rates, this may be just the excuse that an multinational would need to pull out of Ireland.

Advertisement