Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scientology and the Double Standard.

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

YES IT DOES!
    YOU CAN'T DISPROVE THEM!
    /troll

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,838 ✭✭✭midlandsmissus

Naz_st wrote: »
    I agree with you that there is a difference in the credulity required to believe in theism over deism but still have to point out that just because something "makes you happy" or just because something is more "believable" than something else, it isn't evidence for its truth. You could argue that pink elephants are more believable than pink unicorns, but it doesn't make the belief in pink elephants any more accurate.

Yeah but you can't measure everything in a scientific sense. That's what I believe anyway. I think there is definitely a seperate, spiritual realm, where just because it's impossible to measure it in the physical world doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

I've had experiences - seeing things, feelings of ultimate peace when I talk to what I call 'God', seeing spirits, doing research on people who have been regressed to 'the other side' by pyschologists and they all said the same thing....there is a spiritual world with a higher power. All that adds up to evidence for me

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭Naz_st

YES IT DOES!
    YOU CAN'T DISPROVE THEM!
    /troll

lol - yes it all becomes clear now: 2 equally non-disprovable claims prove they are both equally true. :)

Yeah but you can't measure everything in a scientific sense. That's what I believe anyway. I think there is definitely a seperate, spiritual realm, where just because it's impossible to measure it in the physical world doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

I've had experiences - seeing things, feelings of ultimate peace when I talk to what I call 'God', seeing spirits, doing research on people who have been regressed to 'the other side' by pyschologists and they all said the same thing....there is a spiritual world with a higher power. All that adds up to evidence for me

But if you can see it, interact with it, evaluate it or prove it... why do you believe it? Couldn't it be something you just imagined?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

Any good psychologist will tell you its more to do with the power of the mind than a spiritual dimension. You should never underestimate the power of psychology - its power has been shown time and time again to be able to with stand pain, perform extraordinary feats etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

If it is unmeasurable in the physical world, then it has no effect on the physical world (remember most measuring in science is actually indirect, looking at effects from things that are or where present rather than looking at them directly). If something has no effect on the physical world then it is irrelevant to it (because you cant say anything about it).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

Hmmmm......
    Scientology - pay lots of money to people to be in their religion
    Catholic church - pay lots of money to be in their religion (I know priests zipping round in little convertables)
    Your own little belief that makes you happy and doesn't involve other money-grabbing humans.

I know which option makes more sense to me.

money free tripeTM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

is this some kind of really obscure joke about arguing like a Christian? because I must say you are doing a very good job :D;)

the christian way is to tell somebody they shouldn't do something while doing it yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

If someone smoked enough weed, they'd be talking to God. Well, that or to the bush that they set on fire 5 minutes ago... :pac:

=-=

I'll believe in the banshee before I believe in the fairies God.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

the christian way is to tell somebody they shouldn't do something while doing it yourself.

Which is what Jesus told people not to do, so hang on?

How can this work given the following:

1. Jesus the inspiration of Christianity preaches that people shouldn't by hypocrites, claiming that they should "take the log out of their own eye before their criticise others for the speck in theirs" (Matthew 7:3)
    2. The "Christian way" or the Gospel is based on Jesus' teachings.
    3. Therefore one could not be a hypocrite and claim to follow the Christian way legitimately.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Jakkass wrote: »
    3. Therefore one could not be a hypocrite and claim to follow the Christian way legitimately.
    Ah, like the peado priests, those who moved the peado priests around, the christain brothers in the industrial schools who bet the children, etc.

I see the christain way, and the teachings of christ as two different things. The teachings of Christ are mainly one of peace, whereas the christain way is warped to fit the needs of the church that is preaching it, and has been used to justify crusades.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

the_syco wrote: »
    Ah, like the peado priests, those who moved the peado priests around, the christain brothers in the industrial schools who bet the children, etc.

Indeed, that's why you and I would both consider that to be a disgrace. Those people should be ashamed with themselves. They were more concerned with shame than with the works of Jesus Christ.
    the_syco wrote: »
    I see the christain way, and the teachings of christ as two different things. The teachings of Christ are mainly one of peace, whereas the christain way is warped to fit the needs of the church that is preaching it, and has been used to justify crusades.

Again, I would see the Crusades are abhorrent, and I don't really think that that is something the modern Christians should have to defend themselves against in criticism. There was also Christian opposition to the Crusades in Europe leading up to it. Steven Runcimans - History of the Crusades volume 1 explains all of these things concerning the 1st Crusade. Good series of books if you are ever interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Goduznt Xzst

Jakkass wrote: »
    Which is what Jesus told people not to do, so hang on?

In Christianity neither morality nor religion come into contact with reality at any point. - Friedrich Nietzsche

If heaven should be filled with only those that could claim to be Christian legitimately then it will be a pretty empty place, filled with only the vacuous and obsessive compulsives among us. Humans are inherently hypocrites. None more so than Christians who preach a way of life (regardless of denomination) that is largely ridiculous to adhere to. The form of Christianity that a lot of people have is a form of personal Christianity where they cherry pick that which is not difficult for them to practice and ignore what they view to be unreasonable. From this they assume a piety that they are truly practicing the Christian way and preach this to others.

I don't think it would be possible to even get 2 Christians of the same Church/Congregation to sit down and fully agree with each other how a true Christian should live their life and admit that that they adhere to it fully.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭FishFood

I don't see how you can compare scientology to say, christianity.

I mean its a religion based on control. It requires donations of money within the community despite being already enormously wealthy. Its basic requirements restrict interaction with others depending on the strength of the individuals beliefs and in some cases interfere with medical treatment that could save lives. Its based on outdated principles that are unbending in a modern world. Its foundation comes from written texts that are impossible to verfiy and include impossible scenarios. Attempting to leave will ostracise you and restrict your future activities within the community.

And as for scientology....oh!

See what i did there!

FishFood wrote: »
    See what i did there!

No...

Advertisement