Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scientology and the Double Standard.

Options
  • 12-03-2009 3:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭

I've noticed allot of people looking down their noses on Scientology and dismissing it as outrageous. Personally I'd be inclined to agree. It is mental. The problem I have is that people who believe in other religions look down on it. If you believe in something there is no evidence for, you have no right to hold a different brand of lies in contempt.

Also, protests are often held against Scientology. What would happen if I protested outside a Synagogue? I'd be called a Nazi. It's a real double standard. I know Scientology employs questionable methods to gain members, but surely brainwashing a child is also wrong. Every mainstream religion is guilty of this. Ask any Christian what they make of Scientology. They'll probably smile or even laugh. They tend to get very upset when you tell them you have as much respect for Scientology as you have for Jesus Christ.

Basically, I think allot of people are hypocrites of the highest order.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,229 ✭✭✭✭King Mob

To be clear the protests against Scientology are more about their human rights abuses and their suppression of free speech not their beliefs specifically.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

Theists and atheists alike.
    Hang on now, let's not lump someone who believes all religions are false with people who believe their religion is the only right one.

The Scientology protests are more about the sinister practices of the cult more than the bizzareness of their belief systems.

EDIT: King Mob, you ninjar!

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

At least we have evidence to prove that L Ron Hubbard existed...

But what about the Thetans?
    And the all powerful Xenu (fear his wrath)!

But what about the Thetans?
    And the all powerful Xenu (fear his wrath)!
    Well for one Xenu wasn't all powerful. He's more like Ming the Merciless.

• Advertisement

You're not doing a very good job of fearing his wrath, work on that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Overblood

How are atheists hypocrites?

By the way, I think this thread would be better suited to the christianity forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭Naz_st

Basically, I think allot of people are hypocrites of the highest order. Theists and atheists alike.

Scientology is nonsense, but there's plenty of nonsense in most mainstream religions (Noah's ark, Genesis, etc). That's what you get when a basic tenet of a religion is "faith" or "believe it without, or despite, evidence" or "believe it because I say so and I've been divinely mandated (take my word for it)".

I agree with your assertion that any religious person who scoffs at the the "silly" beliefs of other religions is inherently hypocritical, but if a lot of atheists look down on all religions reasonably equally, how are they being hypocrites?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Borneo Fnctn

Overblood wrote: »

Sorry I poorly worded it. What I'm saying is that an atheist should not protest against the beliefs of Scientology. It shouldn't be singled out. You could not get away with this if it was a more mainstream religion.

As I said, it's not the beliefs, it's the wrong-doings.
    The seperation of family members.
    The forced abortions.
    The murders committed.
    The money you have to pay to advance in the religion.

All religions have unplausable beliefs. you won't find an Atheist who will argue that point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

Sorry I poorly worded it. What I'm saying is that an atheist should not protest against the beliefs of Scientology. It shouldn't be singled out. You could not get away with this if it was a more mainstream religion.
    I think you will find that most atheists think they are all crazy equally (well i do anyway).

As I said, it's not the beliefs, it's the wrong-doings.
    The seperation of family members.
    The forced abortions.
    The murders committed.
    The money you have to pay to advance in the religion.

All religions have unplausable beliefs. you won't find an Atheist who will argue that point.

*Cough* allegedly *cough*.

Also thier abuse of the legal system to suppress free speech

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

people should be protesting outside churches too

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Do you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

Overblood wrote: »

By the way, I think this thread would be better suited to the christianity forum.

I think this is the perfect forum since Scientologists are actually atheists. While they believe in various extra-terrestrial beings, I understand that they do not teach the existence of God.

So don't try to push your atheist religion of scientology over onto our forum. We have enough nutcases of our own without taking responsibility for yours. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭pts

PDN wrote: »
    I think this is the perfect forum since Scientologists are actually atheists.
    Actually I think you've got that one wrong. I'm pretty sure that they are more like the Freemason's. They're expected to believe in some kind of higher being, but don't give much details about said being. At least that's what they tell the uninitiated. In fact they often say that you can be Jewish, RC etc and also a Scientologist.

You only find out about the space opera stuff once you're in so deep you won't question it (allegedly)

EDIT: if you're able to read L Ron's unusual style of writing this may be of interest: http://www.scientologymyths.info/cult-or-religion/do-scientologists-believe-in-god.php
    From the book "Scientology: The Fundamentals of Thought":

“The eighth dynamic is the urge toward existence as infinity. This is also identified as the Supreme Being. This is called the eighth dynamic because the symbol of infinity stood upright makes the numeral “8.” This can be called the infinity or God dynamic…. "

“These dynamics could best be represented as a series of concentric circles wherein the first dynamic would be the center and each new dynamic would be successively a circle outside it.

“The basic characteristic of the individual includes his ability to so expand into the other dynamics, but when the seventh dynamic is reached in its entirety one will only then discover the true eighth dynamic.”

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

pts wrote: »
    Actually I think you've got that one wrong. I'm pretty sure that they are more like the Freemason's. They're expected to believe in some kind of higher being, but don't give much details about said being. At least that's what they tell the uninitiated. In fact they often say that you can be Jewish, RC etc and also a Scientologist.

You only find out about the space opera stuff once you're in so deep you won't question it (allegedly)

EDIT: if you're able to read L Ron's unusual style of writing this may be of interest: http://www.scientologymyths.info/cult-or-religion/do-scientologists-believe-in-god.php
    From the book "Scientology: The Fundamentals of Thought":

“The eighth dynamic is the urge toward existence as infinity. This is also identified as the Supreme Being. This is called the eighth dynamic because the symbol of infinity stood upright makes the numeral “8.” This can be called the infinity or God dynamic…. "

“These dynamics could best be represented as a series of concentric circles wherein the first dynamic would be the center and each new dynamic would be successively a circle outside it.

“The basic characteristic of the individual includes his ability to so expand into the other dynamics, but when the seventh dynamic is reached in its entirety one will only then discover the true eighth dynamic.”

To be fair, the vague kind of 'higher power' talk employed by Scientology is no different from Einstein's vague references to God. Yet, when some Christians have (mistakenly in my view) tried to claim Einstein as a theist then atheist posters here have insisted that such vague God-talk is entirely compatible with atheism.

A case of wanting to have your cake and eat it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

To be fair, the vague kind of 'higher power' talk employed by Scientology is no different from Einstein's vague references to God.

It is hugely different from Einstein's vague talk of the universe and the order found in the universe as some kind of "higher power". Scientology talk of an actually "being"

From the Scientology website (I feel dirty)
    Does Scientology have a concept of God?

Most definitely. Scientology affirms the existence of a Supreme Being, although its dogma is unique and does not include the worship of one. Scientology believes that only through total spiritual enlightenment can one then truly discover and understand the Supreme Being.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭Naz_st

To be fair, the vague kind of 'higher power' talk employed by Scientology is no different from Einstein's vague references to God. Yet, when some Christians have (mistakenly in my view) tried to claim Einstein as a theist then atheist posters here have insisted that such vague God-talk is entirely compatible with atheism.

In my view, Einstein's reference to "God" was effectively an unbound awe at the majesty of the universe as he perceived it, something which obviously touched him on a "spiritual" level (or "deeply/subconciously" if you prefer).

To quote Einstein himself:
    "It was, of course, a lie what you read about my religious convictions, a lie which is being systematically repeated. I do not believe in a personal God and I have never denied this but have expressed it clearly. If something is in me which can be called religious then it is the unbounded admiration for the structure of the world so far as our science can reveal it."

This is very different from the view of a higher power as perceived by an organised religion, even if that higher power is non-personal or otherwise vague.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Goduznt Xzst

Yes because we all know that when you make religious people feel like they are being victimized and oppressed that they become more receptive to other peoples opinions :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Wicknight wrote: »

Thats your Thetan, yearning to be released. You need to pay someone to point a electropsychometer at you, quickly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

Check your closets !

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭pts

Again, I wouldn't quite agree with this. As others have pointed out they do actually say that they believe in a God. They however decline to meat it out much. Presumably giving more detail would make Scientology incompatible with some religions. If your goal is to make as much money as possible you don't want to make yourself incompatible with anyone if at all possible.
    On a related note:http://www.colbertnation.com/the-colbert-report-videos/220648/march-04-2009/stephen-becomes-scientology-s-galactic-overlord
    EDIT: Of course according to Scientology all religions are brainwashed into us by Xenu. Usually they don't mention this in their brochures though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

I think this is the perfect forum since Scientologists are actually atheists. While they believe in various extra-terrestrial beings, I understand that they do not teach the existence of God.

Until I saw Wicknight's post for a minute I taught you had yourself a strawman comparable to Creationists.

Zillah wrote: »
    Do you?

no

Yes because we all know that when you make religious people feel like they are being victimized and oppressed that they become more receptive to other peoples opinions :rolleyes:

maybe those religious people should own up to the criticism.

look at brady up north retarded the peace hopes of country by wanting to dominate his children.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

It is hugely different from Einstein's vague talk of the universe and the order found in the universe as some kind of "higher power". Scientology talk of an actually "being"

The seem to have a concept of a Supreme Being, but I believe it is left up to the individual to decide who or what that being exactly is. The focus is more upon the self, whereby the believer attempts to rid themselves of 'engrams' or some such. This just so happens to be a very costly process.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

Do common or garden Scientologists buy into the whole Thetans and Xenu bit or is that just for the higher ups in the cult?

I read somewhere once that they don't introduce you to that stuff 'till you pass (or is that fail) a good few personality tests.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

no

Doesn't that make you a hypocrite?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭994

King Mob wrote: »
    Well for one Xenu wasn't all powerful. He's more like Ming the Merciless.

Ming the Merciless was all-powerful

Advertisement