Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scientology and the Double Standard.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

Zillah wrote: »
    Doesn't that make you a hypocrite?

no

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Pretty sure it does.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,045 ✭✭✭Húrin

I've noticed allot of people looking down their noses on Scientology and dismissing it as outrageous. Personally I'd be inclined to agree. It is mental. The problem I have is that people who believe in other religions look down on it. If you believe in something there is no evidence for, you have no right to hold a different brand of lies in contempt.

So where is the evidence for the claim that science is the only path to knowledge?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Húrin wrote: »
    So where is the evidence for the claim that science is the only path to knowledge?
    Since reading that question I've failed to think of a single thing we "know", that isn't thanks to one of the sciences.

Help me out!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

Dades wrote: »
    Since reading that question I've failed to think of a single thing we "know", that isn't thanks to one of the sciences.

Help me out!

You know there was a Caesar, right?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

Well religion is a pretty good example ....

what was the last thing you guys actually got right?

You know there was a Caesar, right?
    A historical figure is hardly an example of something discovered by a "path to knowledge".

Though if the truth be known, I don't know there was a Caesar. I believe historical accounts because I've no reason to think they are all false. Though I guess if people claimed he had supernatural powers I'd be somewhat sceptical about anything people wrote of him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

Help me out!
    You know what you did yesterday :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Goduznt Xzst

I don't believe it is. But then knowledge is a fairly basic first step. Science is the only path to application, comprehension, analysis, synthesis and evaluation.

Having a knowledge that 1+1=2 does not mean that you actually know what 1+1=2 actually means.

Pretty sure it does.

nope

• Advertisement

A historical figure is hardly an example of something discovered by a "path to knowledge".

Though if the truth be known, I don't know there was a Caesar. I believe historical accounts because I've no reason to think they are all false. Though I guess if people claimed he had supernatural powers I'd be somewhat sceptical about anything people wrote of him.

What do you understand by the term "path to knowledge"? If I didn't know better I would think you had stumbled into some vague spirituality. Anyway, you initially asked to name something that we "know". Well, we know about Caesar, the Battle of Hastings, MLK Jr. Good history is about knowing.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

Back in the day, Pluto was a planet, iPhones were supposed to be a passing fad and this thread was about Scientology.
    Them were the days wha?

Yes, welcome to the intertangent.

nope

No, it does.

What do you understand by the term "path to knowledge"? If I didn't know better I would think you had stumbled into some vague spirituality.
    tbh I assumed we were talking about seeking new knowledge, i.e. via science, theology, philosophy, astrology or something equally fruity.
    Yes, welcome to the intertangent.
    As usual, I blame the management!

tbh I assumed we were talking about seeking new knowledge, i.e. via science, theology, philosophy, astrology or something equally fruity.

Well, I would argue that we can seek and gain new knowledge via non-science sources.
    As usual, I blame the management!

Yeah, the standards continue to slip! On the other hand, the Christianity forum is the paragon of order. I've also heard rumours on the internets that the mods are "dreamy".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 321 ✭✭CPT. SURF

No, it does.

If he was telling people that he protests in front of churches and that he thinks they should be like him and do the same, then he would be a hypocrite. Right now he is just someone who does not do what he thinks would be best. What are they called? Dunno, but I don't think hypocrite is the correct term.

Edit: come to think of it, I think he might be a hypocrite actually

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

I've noticed allot of people looking down their noses on Scientology and dismissing it as outrageous. Personally I'd be inclined to agree. It is mental. The problem I have is that people who believe in other religions look down on it. If you believe in something there is no evidence for, you have no right to hold a different brand of lies in contempt.

"believe in something there is no evidence for".

Issue: What are you considering as evidence?

I would consider there to be two types:
    1) Evidence by indication, what suggests that your faith is true, or that God doesn't exist.

2) Evidence by proof, something that objectively proves something to be true.

Neither atheist or theist can provide 2.

However, many Christian authors have shown evidence by indication for what they believe.
    Also, protests are often held against Scientology. What would happen if I protested outside a Synagogue? I'd be called a Nazi. It's a real double standard. I know Scientology employs questionable methods to gain members, but surely brainwashing a child is also wrong. Every mainstream religion is guilty of this.

Hm, I think this is nonsense myself. Children are going to be influenced by their parents in cultural factors such as language, I don't see how that is any more "brainwashing" than anything else. Bringing up your children into a secular environment is also predisposing or in your language "brainwashing" them towards a secular lifestyle. It holds no weight unfortunately.

There is no guilt to be had for teaching your child moral values and to give them an understanding of a higher power or of a religion. I consider it wrong for you to begrudge parents the right to bring their child up in faith.
    Ask any Christian what they make of Scientology. They'll probably smile or even laugh. They tend to get very upset when you tell them you have as much respect for Scientology as you have for Jesus Christ.

Basically, I think allot of people are hypocrites of the highest order.

Isn't this what we commonly call making assumptions? Using a few to stereotype the lot?

CPT. SURF wrote: »
    If he was telling people that he protests in front of churches and that he thinks they should be like him and do the same, then he would be a hypocrite.

No that's exactly what a hypocrite is not. Telling people they should protest in front of churches when he himself doesn't is hypocritical.
    Edit: come to think of it, I think he might be a hypocrite actually

Er, yes...

No, it does.

no it doesn't, i said people should feel free too, i said i havn't, i didn't say i wouldn't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Goduznt Xzst

no it doesn't, i said people should, i said i havn't, i didn't say i wouldn't.

is this some kind of really obscure joke about arguing like a Christian? because I must say you are doing a very good job :D;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

Yeah, the standards continue to slip! On the other hand, the Christianity forum is the paragon of order. I've also heard rumours on the internets that the mods are "dreamy".

Reality's turned into a Jack Chick tract?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Well, I would argue that we can seek and gain new knowledge via non-science sources.
    Jesus and Mo' debated this very point back in December:
    2008-12-17.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

I've also heard rumours on the internets that the mods are "dreamy".

Pity they're all married and their Christian morals wont allow them to play the field ;)

is this some kind of really obscure joke about arguing like a Christian? because I must say you are doing a very good job :D;)

Maybe he's being post modern?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,838 ✭✭✭midlandsmissus

Again, I think scientology is unbelievable tripe, I also think alot of catholicism is tripe. You dont need to be a part of any religion to believe in God. Is my two cents!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

Again, I think scientology is unbelievable tripe, I also think alot of catholicism is tripe. You dont need to be a part of any religion to believe in God. Is my two cents!
    and believing in god (especially the christian god) is unbelievable tripe.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,838 ✭✭✭midlandsmissus

axer wrote: »
    and believing in god (especially the christian god) is unbelievable tripe.

Hmmmm......
    Scientology - pay lots of money to people to be in their religion
    Catholic church - pay lots of money to be in their religion (I know priests zipping round in little convertables)
    Your own little belief that makes you happy and doesn't involve other money-grabbing humans.

I know which option makes more sense to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

"non-science sources" being... I believe he can do X without any proof at all?
    I've also heard rumours on the internets that the mods are "dreamy".
    LOLtastic lies.
    Jakkass wrote: »
    There is no guilt to be had for teaching your child moral values and to give them an understanding of a higher power or of a religion. I consider it wrong for you to begrudge parents the right to bring their child up in faith.
    /edit
    Didn't see the "or". My bad :oops:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭Naz_st

Hmmmm......
    Scientology - pay lots of money to people to be in their religion
    Catholic church - pay lots of money to be in their religion (I know priests zipping round in little convertables)
    Your own little belief that makes you happy and doesn't involve other money-grabbing humans.

I know which option makes more sense to me.

I agree with you that there is a difference in the credulity required to believe in theism over deism but still have to point out that just because something "makes you happy" or just because something is more "believable" than something else, it isn't evidence for its truth. You could argue that pink elephants are more believable than pink unicorns, but it doesn't make the belief in pink elephants any more accurate.

Advertisement