Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I don't know what to read next.

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭whiterob81

just read "I was Dr. Mengele's Assistant" by Miklos Nyiszli. It's a prisoner's account of what life was like in the concentration camps. Fairly harrowing stuff but one of those books I think everyone should read.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭SarahBM

Lizzykins wrote: »
    The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova. All about Dracula. Really good.

You have got to be kidding! Rubbish book! Took me nearly two years to read it coz it was so boring! but I just had to finish it! I was sooooo disappointed coz I had heard great things about it!!!
    Seriously no!!!

You should read His Dark Materials trilogy or The Pianist. Great books!

The Book of Lost things is a great read! I couldnt put it down!!!
    I loved the Lord of the Rings but I would definatly recommend reading the Hobbit first!
    I know ya said no chick lit but I think Jane Austen is great. IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭LaLucy

Just a Little Run Around the World by Rosie Swale Pope. I have almost finished reading it and am finding it quite uplifting, moving and inspiring. It's a true story about Rosie who embarks on a five year solo run around the world in aid of cancer research after losing her husband to cancer. Really recommend. Oh yeah and the woman was 57 when she started this amazing journey!

I'm just after reading a book called Make Your Own Damn Movie by a guy called Lloyd Kaufman who owns an independent film production company called Troma. Brilliant book. Very entertaining with lots of amusing anecdotes. It's a how-to on every part of film production to marketing your film and getting it scene but I ended up reading the whole thing from cover to cover. I've actually no interest in making my own damn film, someone in work just passed it on to me, but I'd recommend it to anyone who's not easily offended and has even a passing interest in film.

One of the most oddly inspiring books I've read in a long time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 rickman

why we suck - denis leary
    her fearful symmetry - audrey niffenegger
    here comes robert kingdom - peter mc cluskey

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40 GFJD

Into the Wild by Jon Krakauer would come highly recommended from me. Gripping. Hard to put down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 SparkleShoes!

the time travellers wife
    her fearful symmetry
    the secret scripture
    the house at riverton
    the suspicions of mr whicher or the murder at roadhill house
    marley and me

I actually bought Marley and me for my wife a few months ago. Must get around to reading it myself at some point.

Just finished reading Chocolat. I thought it was OK. Not fantastic. It was a bit too self consciously unconventional for my liking. I also found the characters a bit too black and white. Anyone else here read it?

Just read Adrian Mole- The Cappucino years. It was fantastic. Such a funny book. I'm a big fan of the series

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

whiterob81 wrote: »
    I actually bought Marley and me for my wife a few months ago. Must get around to reading it myself at some point.

Just finished reading Chocolat. I thought it was OK. Not fantastic. It was a bit too self consciously unconventional for my liking. I also found the characters a bit too black and white. Anyone else here read it?

I have to say I really enjoyed it. It was far superior to the movie, which I did judge it against as I read it. I guess it'd be different if I hadn't seen the movie first.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Hrududu

I'm just about to finish The Suspicions of Mr Whicher. I've flown through it, its such a gripping read. Now I'm trawling around looking for something just as good to jump into, but its proving difficult.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,924 ✭✭✭✭RolandIRL

have to say. the stand by stephen king. just a wonderful post-apocalyptic book that had me up all night reading. even had a mini-series made of it in the 80's. haven't seen it tho

Blush_01 wrote: »
    I have to say I really enjoyed it. It was far superior to the movie, which I did judge it against as I read it. I guess it'd be different if I hadn't seen the movie first.

maybe that's it. I've never seen the film so maybe if I'd seen that I might have enjoyed it more. I just found the main character slghtly insufferable at times. Maybe it was a case of too much sweetness! Having said that though it's a couple of weeks since I read it and I can still remember most of it so that's a good sign

My wife said she actually prefered the film funnily enough

Just finished reading on the road and brideshead revisited in the last while. Both very different but equally brilliant in their own ways.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭landsleaving

whiteman19 wrote: »
    have to say. the stand by stephen king. just a wonderful post-apocalyptic book that had me up all night reading. even had a mini-series made of it in the 80's. haven't seen it tho

The series is actually pretty good, worth checking out if you enjoyed the book.

I'd recommend 'An American Dream' by Norman Mailer, found it really hard to put down. And I'll second Into The Wild, absolutely brilliant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 BIG DOG 82

Not ordinarily into sci-fi but recently read Jeff Somers - The Electric Church which I enjoyed. Easy reading stuff & to a lesser extent The Digital Plague by same author

• Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭Swampy

Sho-gun

or

Noble house. Both by James Clavell.

Do it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

I just read Alone in Berlin by Hans Fallada. It was written in 1946 and follows the story of ordinary Germans living under Nazi oppression, really interesting read but also a really good novel.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭baalthor

Would just like to recommend the amazing works of Christopher Priest, in particular "The Separation" and "The Prestige".

Also "Arthur and George" by Julian Barnes is a good read. It's based on the true story of Arthur Conan Doyle and his campaign against the imprisonment of George Edalji as a result of the "Great Wryley Outrages"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 celtic ride

Anything by David Sedaris.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭fontanalis

baalthor wrote: »
    Would just like to recommend the amazing works of Christopher Priest, in particular "The Separation" and "The Prestige".

Also "Arthur and George" by Julian Barnes is a good read. It's based on the true story of Arthur Conan Doyle and his campaign against the imprisonment of George Edalji as a result of the "Great Wryley Outrages"

Try The Glamour and The Affirmation also, you should enjoy them if you liked the other two. The Seperation was my least favourite as I thought the end didn't come together too well.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Polynomial

"The Guards" by Ken Bruen, especially if you know Galway. Sad, funny, gripping. Great writing, not a word wasted.

Advertisement