Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I don't know what to read next.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

whiterob81 wrote: »
    Read Fast Food Nation and Lovely Bones. I thought they were deadly. I bought Chocolat for my wife's birthday a few years ago. I think it's still on the shelf. Must get it down when I'm finished with Bukowski

I'll throw more up when I think of them, but I'm currently reading Middlesex - Jeffrey Eugenides, and unless it deteriorates dramatically, it's worth a read. (I'm about 40% in - loving it so far.)

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭whiterob81

Blush_01 wrote: »
    I'll throw more up when I think of them, but I'm currently reading Middlesex - Jeffrey Eugenides, and unless it deteriorates dramatically, it's worth a read. (I'm about 40% in - loving it so far.)

another one i bought for the wife! thanks Blush, I must check that one out too.

I've started readin the bell jar, it's pretty good so far. i'll let you know how it goes

Middlesex was very enjoyable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭SeekUp

Another vote for The Book of Lost Things . . . really quick read, a kind of adult fairy tale, I could read over and over again. And really, how many books can you say that about?

Just finished reading the Bell Jar last night. Really enjoyed it. It's actually a fairly easy read and very well written. Anyone else here read it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭corkgal1981

Just finished reading the Bell Jar last night. Really enjoyed it. It's actually a fairly easy read and very well written. Anyone else here read it?

I read it about a year ago, couldnt put it down. Great account of mental health issues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭Woger

Has anyone read "Let the Right One In"? It's a very good Swedish book about a vampire, there's also a film doing the rounds.

hey woger, I've been hearing a lot of good reports about that book. must check it out.

Just finished Hey Nostrodamus by Douglas Coupland last night. It's brilliant. well worth checking out. Very engaging story and some brilliantly written characters. It really show the effects that grief can have on a community.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 316 ✭✭callmescratch

Woger wrote: »
    Has anyone read "Let the Right One In"? It's a very good Swedish book about a vampire, there's also a film doing the rounds.

Saw the movie last week, was excellent.
    More of a coming-of-age love story than a vampire horror story.

He has a new book out at the moment in hardcover - Handling the Undead. Looks good, zombies this time :)
    Not gonna read Let the Right one in now after seeing the movie, but might give Handling the Undead a go before they make a movie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭Woger

hey woger, I've been hearing a lot of good reports about that book. must check it out.

Just finished Hey Nostrodamus by Douglas Coupland last night. It's brilliant. well worth checking out. Very engaging story and some brilliantly written characters. It really show the effects that grief can have on a community.

Definitely worth checking out, it was originally wrote in Swedish so some bits seem lost in translation. Let me know what you think.
    callmescratch, if you liked the film (I didn't think it's as amazing as some are making out) you should like the book, it goes into alot more detail and there are a couple more characters.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 316 ✭✭callmescratch

callmescratch, if you liked the film (I didn't think it's as amazing as some are making out) you should like the book, it goes into alot more detail and there are a couple more characters.

I'll put it on my (already way too long) list :)

Shantaram - Gregory David Roberts.

Bloody brilliant. I've been reading it every second I get, and frankly I don't know why I'm online when I could be immersing myself in Jin's life. I found the first 100 pages were pretty slow going, but I've found my stride now. I'd rather read it than sleep. Not a bad recommendation.

I can't wait for the prequel and two sequels that are supposedly in the works - the first of which is due for publication in early 2010. Roll on!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

The Past is a Foreign Country by Gianrico Carofiglio.

Excellent read you will probably read it in a couple of days, it sucks you in right from the off.

Reading another one of his at the moment Reasonable Doubts. Very absorbing so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Blush_01 wrote: »
    Shantaram - Gregory David Roberts.

Bloody brilliant. I've been reading it every second I get, and frankly I don't know why I'm online when I could be immersing myself in Jin's life. I found the first 100 pages were pretty slow going, but I've found my stride now. I'd rather read it than sleep. Not a bad recommendation.

I can't wait for the prequel and two sequels that are supposedly in the works - the first of which is due for publication in early 2010. Roll on!!

I have been considering reading this book for a while and, like others, have been putting it off because of its length. But that is of course a pathetic excuse and I've heard so many good things about it. So once my exams are over I think I'll pick it up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭doonothing

Starting "Complicity" by Iain Banks, same chap who wrote the Wasp Factory. The Wasp Factory was ****ed up beyond belief, but Complicity is just great so far :)

Morzadec wrote: »
    I have been considering reading this book for a while and, like others, have been putting it off because of its length. But that is of course a pathetic excuse and I've heard so many good things about it. So once my exams are over I think I'll pick it up.

I bought it ages ago, and daunted by the size I put it on the long finger, but it took just over a week to read. I thought the physical size of it would be difficult to hold, but it's surprisingly a very comfortable book to read. I haven't read Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell because it was so uncomfortable to hold it, and I've had it for years... must read that next though, if I think of it.

just finished reading dark water by koji suzuki. I think some of the writing might have lost something in translation but some of the stories were really enjoyable all the same. Some of them were very clever.

just finished reading gulliver's travels last week. Brilliant book. Hillarious in parts. Well worth reading. Anyone else here read it?

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭JD1763

Seconding Ken Follets Pillars of the Earth enjoyable read and although it's a large enough book you get through it quite quickly.

For fantasy, Joe Abercrombies First Law series is very good - 3 books: Before They Are Hanged, The Blade Itself and the Last Argument of Kings. He also has a new standalone one out called Best Served Cold.

Stephen Hunt's books The Court of the Air, The Kingdom Beyond the Waves and The Rise of the Iron Moon are another series I really enjoyed. Steampunk genre, again good stories, well written.

Someone mentioned Iain Banks, my girlfriend has read his fiction (still have to get around to these), his culture novels as Iain M. Banks are all excellent.

And just to wrap up since I could go on alot more, China Mievilles Perdido Street Station, Iron Council and The City & The City are all great reads.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭Linguo

The caves of steel by Issac Asimov is fantastic! Written in the 60s but totally believable now as futuristic sci-fi! He was a genius!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭minusorange

Bill Hicks - Love all the People - Letters, Lyrics, Routines.

Laugh. Think. Change

Just read the gum thief by douglas coupland. Some of it's great. And I actually quite liked the characters, meesed up and all as they were.

Found some parts of it a bit self pitying. Also, some parts of the book seemed quite manipulative. The unfortunate back stories of the characters were kind of hammered home a bit, like the author was attempting to make you feel as sorry for the characters as they did for themselves. Maybe I'm nit picking here. Because overall the novel was really enjoyable and one that was quite hard to put down

anyone else here read it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 378 ✭✭cathysworld

A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini is good, just finished The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold, not bad

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

neil gaimen-neverwhere

I recently finished, and really enjoyed, The Raw Shark Texts - Steven Hall. Very interesting!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 DublinBookClub

I have read this one. Great book if you enjoy your vamps without the Twilight-esque sugar-coating. There is a brilliant scene set in a hospital that is hair-raising!!

The movie is good, very similar to the book - eerie and uneasy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 DublinBookClub

The Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd is a really lovely read! I don't thing I know anyone who didn't enjoy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Paddy Samurai

lord of the rings,

Like I've said, I'll read anything. any suggestion is welcome, if anyone's read anything decent lately that they think i or anyone else should check out, just post it here

One epic trilogy that you owe it to yourself to read is David Gemmels Troy.
    Lord of the Silver Bow is nearly a flawlessly enjoyable book, with a depth of writing that is hugely engrossing and characters that leap clear of the page in their vividness. Such is the strength of the story that you forget you are reading a story that you know the end of, and the moments in the story that do intersect with the legend are all the most impressive for that, such as when the reader realises that Helikaon is actually Aeneas and when Prince Paris crops up for one of his extremely infrequent appearances. The combat sequences are brutal and convincing; the characters' philosophical musings are short, to the point and do not slow down the action; the drawing of the characters is so well-achieved that some of the deaths at the end of the book are almost physically painful to read about.

Lord of the Silver Bow (****½) is laying the groundwork for the war to come, but is in itself a hugely accomplished and significant epic fantasy novel with enough closure to make it a great self-contained work. The other two books in the sequence are Shield of Thunder and Fall of Kings, which I will read and review promptly.
    the drawing of the characters is so well-achieved that some of the deaths at the end of the book are almost physically painful to read about.
    Could'nt agree more with this statement you don't read these books you live them.Top notch!.

Give it a try ,let me know what you think.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

Some randoms:

Cryptonomicon - Neal Stephenson
    Norwegian Wood - Haruki Murakami
    Catch 22 - Joseph Heller
    Good Omens - Terry Pratchett & Neil Gaiman
    Fear & Loathing in Las Vegas - Hunter S. Thompson
    Marabou Stork Nightmares - Irvine Welsh

• Advertisement

read catch 22 and fear and loathing. both great books. must check out the other ones on your list.

Just finished reading Trouble with Lichen by John Wyndham. It's really enjoyable and very well written even if his description of the irish in it is somewhat offensive. It's not quite as good as day of the triffids but worth a read all the same

Advertisement