Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I don't know what to read next.

Options
  • 10-03-2009 4:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭

Anyone got any recommendations? I'll read anything that isn't chick lit or comes in a pastel jacket

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 363 ✭✭Locamon

whiterob81 wrote: »
    Anyone got any recommendations? I'll read anything that isn't chick lit or comes in a pastel jacket

Not giving us a lot to go on -what kind of stuff have you read and enjoyed in the past?

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭GO_Bear

Why not try dabble into the warhammer 40k books ,

I went into them expecting the worst but was surprised at how i enjoyed them ( Bear in mind i do like the 40k universe , Have not played the tabletop game instead the computer games ) , I like a good series that is built up and all the books are related , something with no defined beginning or end ( this can also be linked to my liking of MMORPG's ) i also have a resentment for standalone books , Not saying there bad , just that the better one is the more i dislike it for giving us so much and not giving more ,

Anyways i am rambling on just try and visage the first books of the Wheel of time and take out the Egewene and Nynaene ( Forgive my spelling ) chapters , Thats how the books are shaping up for me at the moment :pac::pac:;)

Well for as much i have read ( which is not much xD )

No great place to start em but i would recommend the Horus Heresy series it basically shows where Chaos arose from which i a major force in all the other books

Fin
    Ok you can flame me now

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭whiterob81

Some of my favourite books are one flew over the cuckoo's nest, day of the triffids, confedracy of dunces, lord of the rings, the time traveller's wife, the motley crue autobiography, in cold blood

Like I've said, I'll read anything. any suggestion is welcome, if anyone's read anything decent lately that they think i or anyone else should check out, just post it here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 363 ✭✭Locamon

okay given the range...have you read Shantaram by Gregory David Roberts and with the sequel coming soon good to read this one now. Fiction but based on the authors actual experiences of escaping from prison in New Zealand and his subsequent adventures in India and Afghanistan. Brilliantly written saga for the modern age.

Locamon wrote: »
    okay given the range...have you read Shantaram by Gregory David Roberts and with the sequel coming soon good to read this one now. Fiction but based on the authors actual experiences of escaping from prison in New Zealand and his subsequent adventures in India and Afghanistan. Brilliantly written saga for the modern age.

thanks for that, i've heard shantaram's meant to be worth checkin out

not too sure about the warhammer books, don't really fancy gettin into a big series right now. but the suggestions very much appreciated

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭corkgal1981

I recently read The Suspicions of Mr Whicher by Kate Summerscale - would recommend! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo is pretty good, and the sequel is available now too. The third installment in the trilogy hasn't been published yet though, as far as I'm aware.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

PS I Love yo.....

no really
    Mister Pip - A L Jones
    Christine Falls - Benjamin Black
    Confederacy of dunces - J K Toole (only if like me you have a weird sense of humour)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

If you havent already read them and like fantasy - JRR Martin's Song of Ice and Fire series. I read them knowing nothing about them and absolutely loved them.

They're not "traditional" fantasy, books dont have a lot to do with magic and theres not the traditional good vs evil thing going on.

buck65 wrote: »
    PS I Love yo.....

no really
    Mister Pip - A L Jones
    Christine Falls - Benjamin Black
    Confederacy of dunces - J K Toole (only if like me you have a weird sense of humour)

PS I Love You? Well, if it's every bit as good as Samantha Who I'm on to a winner;)

Read Confederacy of Dunces a few years ago. It's a deadly book. Really enjoyed it. Loved the humour in it. Saw many little quirks in it that were just hilarious.

I think my brother (who funnily enough we call Pip) has a copy of Mr Pip in his flat. Must get a lend of it off him

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Lizzykins

The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova. All about Dracula. Really good.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭Mink

whiterob81 wrote: »
    the motley crue autobiography

Anthony Keidis' (Red Hot Chilli Peppers front man for those who haven't been listening to music for 20+ yrs) bio is very very good. It's called Scar Tissue.
    The guy has actually lived quite a life so the biography is completely warranted. Parts are harrowing, parts are hilarious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭cooperla

The best book I've read in the last year has probably been The Shock Doctrine by Naomi Klein: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Shock_Doctrine

Not sure if that sort of book interests you, but if you find the topic interesting then you won't be disappointed IMO.

Also... A Quiet Vendetta by RJ Ellory - very violent and lots of cursing :D but great all round book and great twists

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Me and Mrs Carawaystick started reading the series in mid Jan. Mrs C is on the last one, I'm taking a break after the 4th.

Mrs C likes Chick lit and Pastel shaded covers and crime fiction,

I'm reading montaineering/exploration books by Eric Shipton now, pre Harry I read the White Tiger and before that Mutiny on the Bounty by Jon Hoyne(sp?) who wrote the Boy in the Striped Pj's and before that I read a book the Vires hunter, an autobiography by C.J Hunter MD.

The 1st Harry potter is aimed at a younger reader,(more Hobbit than LotR say) but the books reader age age a year each book. We like the series.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭livvy

i read ken follett's pillars of the earth recently and thought it was brilliant. Im halfway through the sequel "world without end" at the moment and thoroughly enjoying it.

I forgot In the Company of the Courtesan by Sarah Dunant. A great story. And Mutiny on the Bounty by John Boyne is another good read.

Me and Mrs Carawaystick started reading the series in mid Jan. Mrs C is on the last one, I'm taking a break after the 4th.

Mrs C likes Chick lit and Pastel shaded covers and crime fiction,

I'm reading montaineering/exploration books by Eric Shipton now, pre Harry I read the White Tiger and before that Mutiny on the Bounty by Jon Hoyne(sp?) who wrote the Boy in the Striped Pj's and before that I read a book the Vires hunter, an autobiography by C.J Hunter MD.

The 1st Harry potter is aimed at a younger reader,(more Hobbit than LotR say) but the books reader age age a year each book. We like the series.

I've actually read the first 6 harry potter books. they're great. really liked the 6th one. number 7 is sitting on my shelf right now waiting to be read. but i'm just after reading the diary of anne frank and watchmen. i kind of wanted to read something a bit more adult first before i go for that.

actually just reading through a collection of short stories by charles bukowski at the moment called tales of ordainary madness. i'm really enjoying them. it's like dubliners as written by an amoral scumbag

Lizzykins wrote: »
    In the Company of the Courtesan by Sarah Dunant. A great story.

+1 - also The Birth of Venus by same author, equally as good if not better

Oh I must look out for that. Thanks for the tip! Just finished Netherland by Joseph O'Neill. It was named on the New York Times Best Books of the Year list. I liked it in a funny way. There isn't a big story there but it's very atmospheric.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,326 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

If your into it I'd recommend When Giants Walked The Earth, a biography of Led Zeppelin. I've just finished it and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭cashback

Some good ones i've read lately.

The Secret History - Donna Tart
    1984 - George Orwell
    The Beach - Alex Garland
    A Prayer for Owen Meaney - John Irving
    The Grapes Of Wrath - John Steinbeck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 441 ✭✭Kieo

anything by Ann Rule, all true crime, all very well written. v. hard to put down

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

The Little Friend - Donna Tartt
    The Lovely Bones - Alice Sebold
    City of Joy - Dominique Lapierre
    Cats Eye / Oryx and Crake / The Penelopiad - Margaret Atwood
    The Witch of Portobello - Paulo Coelho
    Chocolat - Joanne Harris
    Million Little Pieces - James Frey
    The Canterbury Tales - Geoffrey Chaucer
    The Secret Scripture - Sebastian Barry
    The Scarlet Pimpernel - Baroness Emmuska Orczy
    Postcards - Annie Proulx
    The Book of Lost Things - John Connolly
    Fast Food Nation - Eric Schlosser
    Kings Solomon's Mines - H Rider Haggard

All of the above were pretty enjoyable.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

I have just finished "A thousand splendid suns" by Khaled Hosseini. I couldnt put it down.

Blush_01 wrote: »
    The Little Friend - Donna Tartt
    The Lovely Bones - Alice Sebold
    City of Joy - Dominique Lapierre
    Cats Eye / Oryx and Crake / The Penelopiad - Margaret Atwood
    The Witch of Portobello - Paulo Coelho
    Chocolat - Joanne Harris
    Million Little Pieces - James Frey
    The Canterbury Tales - Geoffrey Chaucer
    The Secret Scripture - Sebastian Barry
    The Scarlet Pimpernel - Baroness Emmuska Orczy
    Postcards - Annie Proulx
    The Book of Lost Things - John Connolly
    Fast Food Nation - Eric Schlosser
    Kings Solomon's Mines - H Rider Haggard

All of the above were pretty enjoyable.

Read Fast Food Nation and Lovely Bones. I thought they were deadly. I bought Chocolat for my wife's birthday a few years ago. I think it's still on the shelf. Must get it down when I'm finished with Bukowski

Survivors by Terry Nation
    1974 by David Peace

• Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭raah!

http://www.literature-map.com/

Slap the name of an author you like here, and loads of other similar authors will come up (or authors which are not similar but have a similar fanbase)

Edit: actually I don't know how reliable that thing, alot of silly associations there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭mark renton

Read any of this dudes books - pretty amazing stuff

http://www.optimnem.co.uk/blog/index.php

• Advertisement

raah! wrote: »
    http://www.literature-map.com/

Slap the name of an author you like here, and loads of other similar authors will come up (or authors which are not similar but have a similar fanbase)

Edit: actually I don't know how reliable that thing, alot of silly associations there.

Pretty nice little site. Every author I've typed in has Sylvia Plath associated with it. Maybe it's time I gave that copy of the Bell Jar a go

Advertisement