Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FAQ: Unlocking, Jailbreak, Cydia, etc - All discussion goes here

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Thats the wifi password on your home network. Nobody can tell you that except whoever set it up for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭iKeith

you can get it by going to your router. if you have a wired connection, type the ip address of the router in firefox or internet explorer. click wireless and youre gonna see your wep key. put it in your itouch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 395 ✭✭AntoSRFC

Havent really been reading about this since the 3.0 update but now i have a bit of spare time is it worth updating? I am running 3.0 on a jailbroken iphone 3G and its going grand. I need the unlock for it to work. Is there anything worth changing for on 3.1.2?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

Hi chaps, just wondering if someone can point me in the right direction for jailbreaking my ipod touch. It's a 2g 32gb, model MB533BT...running OS 3.1.2.

Any help appreciated :)

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭cobijones

Hi, I updated me iphone 2g to 3.1.2 with Blackrain/ bootneuter. Everything works fine except the youtube app, which says ,cannot connect to youtube.

I seached the web and installed a new package source - http://cydia.iphoneil.net. It says to search for a "push fix" app but it doesnt seem to be there anymore.

Was just wondering if anyone had this problem and managed to fix it, cheers!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25 aoifed6

hi ,

could someone please give advice on the pushfix and youtube app from cydia,

i cant seem to find it in cydia, is there problems with this or does anyone have an alternative

i have a new iphone 3gs and cant get youtube working the rest is unlocked and mms working fine
    thanks
    aoife

aoifed6 wrote: »
    hi ,

could someone please give advice on the pushfix and youtube app from cydia,

i cant seem to find it in cydia, is there problems with this or does anyone have an alternative

i have a new iphone 3gs and cant get youtube working the rest is unlocked and mms working fine
    thanks
    aoife

try to add apt.iphinemodding.com in sources. that should do it

• Registered Users Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭Jackobyte

I don't understand unlocking the ipod touch...? You can't put a sim in it so what does unlocking it do? And does it void the warrenty? Can it potentially damage your ipod if done uncorrectly?

Thanks, an iPod n00b:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

Correct you don't need to unlock a iPod touch.
    I think whoever wrote meant to say jailbreak. .

Unlock= to unlock the sim restrictions and use any carriers sim.

Jailbreak= to "jailbreak" the iPhones O.S to use 3rd party software etc.

(to unlock you need to jailbreak 1st)

Hope this helps.
    M

mixednuts wrote: »
    Correct you don't need to unlock a iPod touch.
    I think whoever wrote meant to say jailbreak. .

Unlock= to unlock the sim restrictions and use any carriers sim.

Jailbreak= to "jailbreak" the iPhones O.S to use 3rd party software etc.

(to unlock you need to jailbreak 1st)

Hope this helps.
    M
    OK, cool. Does it void the warrenty or anything? Can it damage the iPod? Will it be unjailbroken everytime you connect to itunes? And where can you get 3rd party apps? What are they used for?

• Advertisement

Jackobyte wrote: »
    OK, cool. Does it void the warrenty or anything? Can it damage the iPod? Will it be unjailbroken everytime you connect to itunes? And where can you get 3rd party apps? What are they used for?

Yes Jailbreaking will void your warrenty, but a quick restore before sending the device back for repair will remove the jb.( that's if you can )

Reconnecting to iTunes won't remove the jailbreak , updating the software if Apple release a new one most definitly will.
    Jailbreaks are usually firmware specific , new firmware new waiting game for new jailbreak ( that's if it ever comes)
    If your iPod is newly made , more than likely you will need to hook it up to your computer to rejailbreak if it ever looses power .
    This is called a tethered jailbreak , it's the only available jb available for the most recent Apple firmware , it's call blackra1n , and found here blackra1n.com

Jailbreaking opens up a whole new platform on your device with hundreds if not thousands of things you can do and add to your device , some of which cannot be discussed on this forum.
    Google is your friend ... See what is says on jailbreaking .

M

Yes Jailbreaking will void your warrenty, but a quick restore before sending the device back for repair will remove the jb.( that's if you can )

Reconnecting to iTunes won't remove the jailbreak , updating the software if Apple release a new one most definitly will.
    Jailbreaks are usually firmware specific , new firmware new waiting game for new jailbreak ( that's if it ever comes)
    If your iPod is newly made , more than likely you will need to hook it up to your computer to rejailbreak if it ever looses power .
    This is called a tethered jailbreak , it's the only available jb available for the most recent Apple firmware , it's call blackra1n , and found here blackra1n.com

Jailbreaking opens up a whole new platform on your device with hundreds if not thousands of things you can do and add to your device , some of which cannot be discussed on this forum.
    Google is your friend ... See what is says on jailbreaking .

M
    is it easy to "restore" if I have to send it away for repairs? I'm buying a 64gb and for that price I don't want to lose it because I jailbroke it...

Jackobyte wrote: »
    is it easy to "restore" if I have to send it away for repairs? I'm buying a 64gb and for that price I don't want to lose it because I jailbroke it...

The restore part is simple, just hook it up to your iTunes and hit restore.
    Only problem is if you have a device that just dies and won't do anything, you won't get anything from iTunes ( won't show up as been connected) to be able to restore and remove the jb prior to return.

The warrenty is 12 months , would it fail before then ?

The restore part is simple, just hook it up to your iTunes and hit restore.
    Only problem is if you have a device that just dies and won't do anything, you won't get anything from iTunes ( won't show up as been connected) to be able to restore and remove the jb prior to return.

The warrenty is 12 months , would it fail before then ?
    Not worrying about it failing. Its just that last time I went messing with firmware, it had bad results. I was updating a usb broadband dongle's firmware and halfway through the installation my computer became unresponsive, leaving the dongle f**ked and unable to be fixed. It was not even detectable by the computer any more... Not even as removable device. Zilch.

The modern Apple devices are pretty much impossible to brick these days , so you will have no worries there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭kaisersose77

I have a first generation iphone (i.e. before 3g). I updated it to 3.0 a few months ago i think and have it unlocked and jailbreaked (bought it on ebay from the US).

Anyways I want to use an app that requires a newer firmware than I have. What program will allow me to update to the latest firmware and let me unlock and jailbreak it?

cheers

do i just update it to 3.1.2 even though that will lock it, and then use blacksnow to jailbreak and unlock it?

I have a first generation iphone (i.e. before 3g). I updated it to 3.0 a few months ago i think and have it unlocked and jailbreaked (bought it on ebay from the US).

Anyways I want to use an app that requires a newer firmware than I have. What program will allow me to update to the latest firmware and let me unlock and jailbreak it?

cheers

do i just update it to 3.1.2 even though that will lock it, and then use blacksnow to jailbreak and unlock it?

if you read a few pages back, yes it will jailbreak and unlock the iphone when you update the firmware. fyi, blackra1n: jailbreak, blacksnow:unlock

• Registered Users Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭fox007

iKeith wrote: »
    try to add apt.iphinemodding.com in sources. that should do it
    Keith is that the right address? its coming up cannot find repository any help there lads this youtube not working is doing my head in:confused:

fox007 wrote: »
    Keith is that the right address? its coming up cannot find repository any help there lads this youtube not working is doing my head in:confused:

its ok the address is apt.iphone.modding.com. but after I ran it still youtube will not connect do I have to reboot? and will i loose my jailbreak on 3.1.2 baseband 5.11.07?

its ok the address is apt.iphone.modding.com. but after I ran it still youtube will not connect do I have to reboot? and will i loose my jailbreak on 3.1.2 baseband 5.11.07?

sorry that was a typo. was actually apt.iphonemodding.com. after installing the repo, search pushfix and install it.

• Advertisement

sorry that was a typo. was actually apt.iphonemodding.com. after installing the repo, search pushfix and install it.

Anyone help me out please installed pushfix ran it still cannot connect to YouTube

pm sent

pm sent
    Thanks keith!! After the info on that forum,for anyone else getting the "cannot connect to youtube" message install push fix rebooth iphone try youtube, if you get the message again go to cydia manage.packages.pushfix.modify,reinstall,rebooth system,I had to do this 3 times.Now youtube workes great on jailbroke iphone 3g 3.1.2 firmware 5.11.07 .Hope that helps someone else out thanks again keith:D

Thanks keith!! After the info on that forum,for anyone else getting the "cannot connect to youtube" message install push fix rebooth iphone try youtube, if you get the message again go to cydia manage.packages.pushfix.modify,reinstall,rebooth system,I had to do this 3 times.Now youtube workes great on jailbroke iphone 3g 3.1.2 firmware 5.11.07 .Hope that helps someone else out thanks again keith:D
    good to hear that :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Folks,

Just got a 2G (3.1.2), how do I go about unlocking it, I see a few conflicting step by step guides. :(

Currently I have it back to factory restore from Itunes. Its sitting at a screen that says (Insert a valid Sim with no PIN lock to activate iPhone)

jonny24ie wrote: »
    Folks,

Just got a 2G (3.1.2), how do I go about unlocking it, I see a few conflicting step by step guides. :(

Currently I have it back to factory restore from Itunes. Its sitting at a screen that says (Insert a valid Sim with no PIN lock to activate iPhone)

Download blackra1n I had the same problem. when ya have it downloaded to your pc SHUT DOWN ITUNEs and run blackra1n it will unlock jailbreak your iPhone In 30 seconds once ya do that find blackrain on the home menu run it click install cyida etc that's it enjoy any trouble just ask really is simple.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭hshortt

Another source for pusfix and youtube fix.

cydia.pushfix.info they have 3 youtube fixes, you are advised to try them one at a time. I ran this yesterday on a friends 3GS (3.1.2 new baseband). The youtube fix#1 was all that was required.

Might help someone.

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 10,571 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Hi guys,

I have an iPhone 3GS 3.0, jailbroken and unlocked using ultrasn0w. I want to upgrade this to the latest firmware, but keep it unlocked.

Can I just use pwnage tool or blackra1n to upgrade straight to 3.1.2, or do I need to apply each patch in sequence?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭savemejebus

afaik you can go straight to 3.1.2 and if you use pwnage tool you don't need to use blackra1n. You just create your custom firmware and restore from it.

Am on 3.0 myself and was looking into doing similar but there is nothing in the 3.1.2 upgrade to tempt me so i just left it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,239 ✭✭✭Elessar

Divynedevteam are said to be releasing a non-tethered jailbreak for the 3Gs very very soon. Time will tell if this is just more smoke and mirrors.

http://divyne.webs.com/

Advertisement