Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FAQ: Unlocking, Jailbreak, Cydia, etc - All discussion goes here

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭dmcg90

I'm on 3.00, how the hell would I go up to 3.1+ and be jailbreaked.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,980 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Mellor wrote: »
    I updated the software on my ipod touch, and he basterding thing wiped everything, all musicm apps everything

Argh, Still pissed over this,

Time to rebuild all the apps,

suggestions for the best (free at the minute) apps,

help please

• Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭acidburn51737

Mellor wrote: »
    Argh, Still pissed over this,

Time to rebuild all the apps,

suggestions for the best (free at the minute) apps,

help please

Updating your firmware is supposed to wipe everything out. Didnt you research before updating? As for the apps, afaik, you can download them again in the app store free of charge, assuming you paid for them when you downloaded them. As for the music, sync it up with itunes again and you should be good *_^

@dmcg
    you can update your firmware by clicking the update button on itunes. Go to blackra1n.com to get the jailbreak program. There are loads of tutorials out there. The search function and google are your best friends, dont be shy to use them ^_^

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭Elessar

Just bought an iPhone3Gs - it's week 45, any news on a new non-tethered jailbreak?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭deep1

Elessar wrote: »
    Just bought an iPhone3Gs - it's week 45, any news on a new non-tethered jailbreak?

Welcome to Iphone club after ditching N97 eventually.:)
    Afraid there is no update yet only tethered JB.

• Advertisement

heard geohot will fix the tethered jailbreak on firmware 3.2. im gonna upgrade to a 3gs tomorrow (i hope, lol) ill be taking a peak at the serial number and ask to get another (and another if its still a post week 40 build) lol

deep1 wrote: »
    Welcome to Iphone club after ditching N97 eventually.:)
    Afraid there is no update yet only tethered JB.

Yeah the N97 is up on ebay, I wanted to like it but it was just too clunky, slow (ughh) and old fashioned. Little to no feedback on the keyboard too. Am glad I'm back with the iPhone! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭deep1

Yeah the N97 is up on ebay, I wanted to like it but it was just too clunky, slow (ughh) and old fashioned. Little to no feedback on the keyboard too. Am glad I'm back with the iPhone! :D

Yeah i am in same boat, Swop my N97 with few weeks old Iphone 3g and got some cash on top, pretty good deal in IMHO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 493 ✭✭cooper_man

Hey guys,

Im in a bit of a pickle. I have an iphone on 2.2.1 with baseband (03.30.03) and i need to jailbreak to unlock it (ive moved to NZ). Any good guides? I cant seem to find a guide for that baseband and if i update to 3.1.2 etc im gonna be in the same boat again.

Any help guys? Really stuck :p

@cooper_man
    you can update to firmware 3.1.2 and jailbreak it using blackra1n and unlock it using blacksnow. Try iclarified.com, they have good guides there

• Advertisement

Updating your firmware is supposed to wipe everything out. Didnt you research before updating? As for the apps, afaik, you can download them again in the app store free of charge, assuming you paid for them when you downloaded them. As for the music, sync it up with itunes again and you should be good *_^
    Don't have access to my music library at the minute (its 11,000 miles away:))

also, I was told it would just update, and I thing it was on this thread that I was told that, This forum definatly.

Hmm... Updating/restoring your firmware definitely erases everything. Except if you backed up, the contacts, settings, etc. would be restored. Forgot where i read the article about itunes backup

Its gone now, so meh, time to rebuilt my army of apps

Apps suggestions, wifi access limited, for at the minute i'm favouring off-line apps
    Games and utilities etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭Ideo

I've read the last 100 posts or so, and just want to confirm.

If i jailbreak the iPhone 3gs I will be able to use it on vodafone, however if the phone powers off then I have to connect it to a pc with blackra1n to make it boot properly.

In order to make it boot properly I need to connect it to a PC via usb cable, however if it as week 40 build or later then I can connect to the PC over the wireless network and it'll work that way?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭branners69

Ronan wrote: »
    ...which means every time I power the phone off I have to run blackrain again..

Sorry for the dumb question but do you power off by pressing the button on the top left?

And does running blackrain have any effect on your Apple guarantee?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 395 ✭✭AntoSRFC

branners69 wrote: »
    Sorry for the dumb question but do you power off by pressing the button on the top left?

And does running blackrain have any effect on your Apple guarantee?

Yes and I am 99% sure that it breaks it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭branners69

AntoSRFC wrote: »

Many thanks!

AntoSRFC wrote: »
    If a apple firmware restore can get it back to the offical firmware then the warrenty should be fine

Yeah just make sure that if you return it for repairs or replacement, restore it in itunes first

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭princemuzzy

Ronan wrote: »
    Just to note the newer 3Gs iphones, build after week 40 of this year (The week is the 4th and 5th digit of your serial number) can only currently be done with a tethered jailbreak. So every time you reboot them you will have to run the jailbreak program again.

Just to note i bought a 32gb 3gs in carefone warehouse on saturday and salesman advised me nearly all their stock was pre week 40 build mines 38

Jailbroke it and unlocked it and all working fine phone battery has died a couple of times with no need to re-jailbreak or re-unlock on reboot

so get to carphone warehouse and just tell them you want a pre week 40 build the guy i said it to had no prob with it

It was carphone warehouse in liffey valley btw

• Advertisement

The salesman probably has an iphone too and knows the grief of not jailbreaking it lol.

yes you can. just read the guides here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

Mods,
    I think it's time for a sticky on Blackra1n .
    It's the only unlock and jailbreak around .
    The sticky could also explain the week if manufacture scenario. Etc

What do you think?

M.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭pvt.joker

mixednuts wrote: »
    Mods,
    I think it's time for a sticky on Blackra1n .
    It's the only unlock and jailbreak around .
    The sticky could also explain the week if manufacture scenario. Etc

What do you think?

M.

I think you've just nominated yourself to write it :D

Mr.S wrote: »
    Just reading a few posts here. I can't turn off the phone, because that gets rid of the unlock, or something?

And will i need to get the phone activated in the Uk, or can i do it from Here and then do the process of jailbreaking/unlocking it.

Yeah newer iPhones have new modem firmware which means your jailbreak will be "tethered". I.e. everytime you turn off the phone you need to connect it up to a computer and run blackrain again to get use of it. Can be a pain sometimes, particularly if the phone crashes or freezes and restarts, leaving you without a phone til you get home :(

The phone will be activated through iTunes when you first connect it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭scuba steve

any word yet on an un-tethered update for week 40+?

Mr.S wrote: »
    Just reading a few posts here. I can't turn off the phone, because that gets rid of the unlock, or something?

And will i need to get the phone activated in the Uk, or can i do it from Here and then do the process of jailbreaking/unlocking it.

as ellezor said, the phone needs to be hooked up via usb to your pc or laptop and run blakrain again

dont really know bout unlocking the phone here but you can try. when the iphone is activated, it wont detect your network. so the best thing to do is jilbreak then unlock. some users (not in this forum) have reported this works

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Fat_Fingers

Hi, and sorry if i come accross as stupid but i have to ask :)
    I have a new Ipod touch 32Gb and serial number starts with MC, i heard that you cant even do tethered jailbreak on this one.
    Does anyone know if this is true? I dont want to try and brick it...

Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

tis true!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Fat_Fingers

Actually jailbrake does work on new Ipod but its tethered.

Advertisement