Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FAQ: Unlocking, Jailbreak, Cydia, etc - All discussion goes here

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭massy086

I have a question about unlocking American iPhones.

I am moving to America shortly and was hoping to get an iPhone SE (I'm on a contract with 3) before i left, however they are hard to come by.

Would it be possible to wait until I get over there, buy an Iphone SE there(would I need to buy into a lengthy contract? I'm only going for a couple of months) and then get it unlocked when I return to Ireland use use my 3 SIM card?

Any advice is much appreciated.
    You can buy direct from Apple with no contract and they are factory unlocked too

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

I just bought an SE on eBay, locked to Vodafone UK, need to get it unlocked obviously, how hard is it to do?

I've never unlocked a phone myself, and I've zero experience with iPhone's anyway so am I better off getting it done in the phone shop? They want €75 for it.

Could get a code off eBay for €20ish and would prefer to do that myself and save €50 if possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Tyler Durdenn

massy086 wrote: »
    You can buy direct from Apple with no contract and they are factory unlocked too

Thanks for the reply. So would I...

1) go to New York and buy an unlocked one from Apple(can this be bought in an apple store or only online)?

2) get American SIM card and use it.

3) Upon my return to Ireland, go back to my old contract with a 3 SIM card in the phone?

Sorry if the answers seem obvious but this is a big investment, I want to be sure I end up with hassle not being able to use it there/here.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,489 ✭✭✭✭guil

I just bought an SE on eBay, locked to Vodafone UK, need to get it unlocked obviously, how hard is it to do?

I've never unlocked a phone myself, and I've zero experience with iPhone's anyway so am I better off getting it done in the phone shop? They want €75 for it.

Could get a code off eBay for €20ish and would prefer to do that myself and save €50 if possible.

iPhones don't use codes so if anyone is trying to sell one don't do it.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Thanks for the reply. So would I...

1) go to New York and buy an unlocked one from Apple(can this be bought in an apple store or only online)?

2) get American SIM card and use it.

3) Upon my return to Ireland, go back to my old contract with a 3 SIM card in the phone?

Sorry if the answers seem obvious but this is a big investment, I want to be sure I end up with hassle not being able to use it there/here.

Yes, you can. You can buy in an Apple Store. Be aware though, buying in the US that you will have a one year warranty, and that's it. If you buy in Ireland you would have the protection of the Sale of a Goods Act. Don't forget to add 8.75%(?) Sales tax for NY. No sales tax in New Hampshire, AFAIR.

• Advertisement

guil wrote: »
    iPhones don't use codes so if anyone is trying to sell one don't do it.
    Thank you so much for this info. I really appreciate it.

Seems like getting it done in the shop is the best option maybe ?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,489 ✭✭✭✭guil

Thank you so much for this info. I really appreciate it.

Seems like getting it done in the shop is the best option maybe ?

It's all done on Apple servers. There is services selling it online. Just look for a seller on eBay with good feedback.

Hi all

I came across this website https://www.officialiphoneunlock.co.uk/ which looks good, but has anyone used them for unlocking before? What was your experience? Would you recommend them?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭naasrd

Hi all

I came across this website https://www.officialiphoneunlock.co.uk/ which looks good, but has anyone used them for unlocking before? What was your experience? Would you recommend them?

I've used eBay for all my unlocks. Would recommend you try that.

naasrd wrote: »
    I've used eBay for all my unlocks. Would recommend you try that.
    I've had a look but not sure what sellers to use tbh.

Can you recommend any via PM?

• Advertisement

I found a seller on eBay and bought the unlock service from them, paid on Tues evening and my phone is now unlocked. My phone was on Vodafone UK.

If anyone wants a recommendation, PM me.

Cost less than €10. I was given three quotes for unlocking my phone €75 (euros), one at €45 (euros) and one at £44.99 pounds.. So I saved a fair bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭naasrd

I found a seller on eBay and bought the unlock service from them, paid on Tues evening and my phone is now unlocked. My phone was on Vodafone UK.

If anyone wants a recommendation, PM me.

Cost less than €10. I was given three quotes for unlocking my phone €75 (euros), one at €45 (euros) and one at £44.99 pounds.. So I saved a fair bit.

That's a cracking deal!

• Registered Users, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

Pangu Has Released a Jailbreak of iOS 9.3.3!

Pangu has just released a jailbreak of iOS 9.3.3 for the iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.

The jailbreak is for 64-bit devices only and is not fully untethered. It requires that you rerun a jailbreak app on your device if it is rebooted.

The latest Pangu jailbreak tool allows the user to jailbreak iOS devices on the demand. The user can easily jailbreak the iOS devices by running the click-to-jailbreak app, and also easily remove the jailbreak by rebooting the iOS devices. In other words, the user has full control to enable or disable the jailbreak functionality.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭Savage Tyrant

You beautiful bástard. Thanks.
    My phone really needs a full reset and the only thing stopping me was losing my jailbreak.
    Great news.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Masala

sharkman wrote: »
    Pangu Has Released a Jailbreak of iOS 9.3.3!

Pangu has just released a jailbreak of iOS 9.3.3 for the iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.

The jailbreak is for 64-bit devices only and is not fully untethered. It requires that you rerun a jailbreak app on your device if it is rebooted.

The latest Pangu jailbreak tool allows the user to jailbreak iOS devices on the demand. The user can easily jailbreak the iOS devices by running the click-to-jailbreak app, and also easily remove the jailbreak by rebooting the iOS devices. In other words, the user has full control to enable or disable the jailbreak functionality.

Thanks man... Can u throw up a link ??

• Registered Users Posts: 8,965 ✭✭✭Doge

Masala wrote: »
    Thanks man... Can u throw up a link ??

Its actually not publicly released yet I think, their official website says Coming Soon.

www.pangu.io

sharkman wrote: »

This is actually great news for me as anytime I've Jailbroken since iOS7 I got frequent crashes, from what I presume were memory crashes.

This way i can choose not to activate the jailbreak and use my iPad for general browsing without the crashes.

Does it mean for 64bit or better devices?.... My 6s Plus is 64bit but it seems the iPad Air 2 is 128bit.... I had no idea and had to google.
    I hope it will work with the iPad too.

Never mind.... Just checked Pangu website and the Air 2 is supported.
    Now just to get home from work and get them sorted.

• Registered Users, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

Does it mean for 64bit or better devices?.... My 6s Plus is 64bit but it seems the iPad Air 2 is 128bit.... I had no idea and had to google.
    I hope it will work with the iPad too.

Supported devices include: iPhone 5s, iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 6s, iPhone 6s Plus, iPhone SE, iPod touch 6G, iPad mini 2, iPad mini 3, iPad mini 4, iPad Air, iPad Air 2, iPad Pro.

• Advertisement

Looks like Pangu have released the jailbreak via the chinese software PP25 which is around a few years now and let you sideload apps without jailbreak in the past.

Its a bit of a messier way of installing the jailbreak and the software is in Chinese only. Not sure if Pangu will be releasing a standalone jailbreaking utility yet.

Tutorial from ICU here:

i did it last night on my 6s Plus....very simple process altogether.
    I did lose all the tweaks I had installed in Cydia though and I hadn't made a note of the repos or tweaks I was using.
    I was too high to start trying to remember them all so I have that ahead of me tonight (and to do the iPad and not make the same mistake)... But as it stands, it's a simple enough jailbreak.

Will Bite SMS work on the new Jailbreak?

To be honest - its the only real App that I ever really wanted and the onlt reason I done a jailbreak in the past.

I just love that App....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭EuskalHerria

Masala wrote: »
    Will Bite SMS work on the new Jailbreak?

To be honest - its the only real App that I ever really wanted and the onlt reason I done a jailbreak in the past.

I just love that App....

I think that stopped a number of iOS releases ago. I know because it's one of the few things I bought a full licence for, and then almost immediately after I paid, it stopped working on either iOS 8 or 8.

I think that stopped a number of iOS releases ago. I know because it's one of the few things I bought a full licence for, and then almost immediately after I paid, it stopped working on either iOS 8 or 8.

aaahhh Man!!! That's a bummer!

Never knew that.... many thanks for the update!

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭JimboJones99

Hi,

Sorry this has probably been asked loads of times already but hopefully you wont mind answering it again. I have just gotten an Iphone 5s through work. The provider with work is Three but I am Meteor so I need to unlock it.

I would prefer not to have to contact Three directly to unlock it as it might cause problems for work. Is there any other way to unlock it?

Thanks

Hi,

Sorry this has probably been asked loads of times already but hopefully you wont mind answering it again. I have just gotten an Iphone 5s through work. The provider with work is Three but I am Meteor so I need to unlock it.

I would prefer not to have to contact Three directly to unlock it as it might cause problems for work. Is there any other way to unlock it?

Thanks

eBay ...

Edit for link....
    http://www.ebay.ie/itm/IPHONE-4-4S-5-5C-5S-6-6S-6S-UNLOCKING-SERVICE-THREE-IRELAND-/231637513162?hash=item35eeabf3ca:g:6lEAAOSwyQtVujFS

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Mugatuu

I'm after making a feck of my iPhone 5S, have it jailbroken a good while on ios8, I was giving it to my friend and went to clear it by erasing all content and settings forgetting that it had to be unjailbroken first then cleared.

It's now stuck on a black screen with the apple symbol with a loading line underneath it. I've tried googling it and following instructions to restore it to no avail! Any help at all would be appreciated!

Mugatuu wrote: »
    I'm after making a feck of my iPhone 5S, have it jailbroken a good while on ios8, I was giving it to my friend and went to clear it by erasing all content and settings forgetting that it had to be unjailbroken first then cleared.

It's now stuck on a black screen with the apple symbol with a loading line underneath it. I've tried googling it and following instructions to restore it to no avail! Any help at all would be appreciated!

Try putting it into recovery mode and doing a restore from iTunes.

https://www.theiphonewiki.com/wiki/DFU_Mode#Entering_DFU_Mode_on_iPhone.2C_iPad_or_iPod_touch
    1. Plug your device into your computer with a USB cable.
    2. Turn off the device.
    3. Hold the Power button for 3 seconds.
    4. Hold the Home and Power buttons for 10 seconds.
    5. Release the Power button but keep holding the Home button.
    6. After about 15 seconds you will be alerted by iTunes saying that it has detected a device in Recovery Mode.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Mugatuu

Doge wrote: »
    Try putting it into recovery mode and doing a restore from iTunes.

https://www.theiphonewiki.com/wiki/DFU_Mode#Entering_DFU_Mode_on_iPhone.2C_iPad_or_iPod_touch
    1. Plug your device into your computer with a USB cable.
    2. Turn off the device.
    3. Hold the Power button for 3 seconds.
    4. Hold the Home and Power buttons for 10 seconds.
    5. Release the Power button but keep holding the Home button.
    6. After about 15 seconds you will be alerted by iTunes saying that it has detected a device in Recovery Mode.

Cheers Doge, will give that a go this evening and see how I get on

Advertisement