Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FAQ: Unlocking, Jailbreak, Cydia, etc - All discussion goes here

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Tinder Surprise

Hi.

I am looking for advice to update my iPad which is jailbroken on iOS 5.01

Some add-ons are broken within XBMC and I am guessing its because I need to update to KODI.

I have tried update XBMC via CYDIA but was told the iOS needs to be 5.1 to install KODI.

What is best way to get the iPad updated but also maintaining the jailbreak, or having the ability to re-jailbreak?

THANKS.

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭Tallaght Saint

naasrd wrote: »
    Yes, it doesn't matter what the phone is running. Unlocks are not effected by that.

Unlock worked like a dream. Thanks for your help!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭naasrd

Unlock worked like a dream. Thanks for your help!

Anytime.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

Hey guys,

I have a 6+ which is locked to AT&T. I went into one of those dodgy looking gadget shops and the guy said he can unlock it for 80 quid. Is there a catch here or should I go for it?

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭Tallaght Saint

Anytime.

Another question,

If i restore my phone, that won't undo the unlock would it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭Savage Tyrant

Hey guys,

I have a 6+ which is locked to AT&T. I went into one of those dodgy looking gadget shops and the guy said he can unlock it for 80 quid. Is there a catch here or should I go for it?

There's plenty of AT&T unlocks on eBay for a fraction of that price.
    I'd say that's what he is likely to do with your phone plus his own mark up.
    Just do it on eba yourself with someone with high positive feedback.

All that assuming that the phone isn't in a current contract or stolen.

Another question,

If i restore my phone, that won't undo the unlock would it?

No, once it's unlocked it's permanent.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,532 ✭✭✭WarZoneBrother

Currently my iPhone is on iOS 6.1.2 but I can't seem to get a link to download evasion 1.4 to jailbreak.. Anyone know what I have to do?.. I can update to 7.1.2 I think...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Sorry if thuis has been asked 10 times already. But can a jailbroken apple tv do a software update? Tried loads of times but its "unsuccessful".

I can access things if I chose "install later" so its no big deal one way or other.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭massy086

gimmick wrote: »
    Sorry if thuis has been asked 10 times already. But can a jailbroken apple tv do a software update? Tried loads of times but its "unsuccessful".

I can access things if I chose "install later" so its no big deal one way or other.

if youn do a apple update it will kill your jailbreak

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,198 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

• Registered Users Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭Doyler92

I want to play Pokemon on my iPhone as if it was a game boy advance. Does anyone know is this possible? It's an iPhone 6 running iOS 9.1.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Tinder Surprise

Hi.

I am looking for advice to update my iPad which is jailbroken on iOS 5.01

Some add-ons are broken within XBMC and I am guessing its because I need to update to KODI.

I have tried update XBMC via CYDIA but was told the iOS needs to be 5.1 to install KODI.

What is best way to get the iPad updated but also maintaining the jailbreak, or having the ability to re-jailbreak?

THANKS.

Anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,951 ✭✭✭Doge

Anyone?

I dont think you can. You can only update to the oldest iOS apple are still signing.

When a new version of iOS comes out they keep signing the older version for about a week or 2.

So youd have to go with iOS 9 and make sure the oldest version theyre signing is jailbreakable.

Edit: the oldest signed version out at this moment is 9.1 and its non jailbreakable.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,928 ✭✭✭dodzy

Anyone?

I'm guessing its an 1st gen ipad ? If so, you will be maxed out at 5.1.1 as far as I recall. You could update to this (you will lose the JB during the process) and then just apply the JB again. If you are on 5.0, then you should have the facility to update the device without the need for itunes / pc.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Swish87

My girlfriend has an Ipad that she has only just gotten back from her ex boyfriend, she wants to use it, but his password is still on the device. She has tried to rest it, but now its asking for the apple Id and username that was set up using the account. Is there a way around this? She asked him for the information, but he is ignoring her and wont respond. Any advice would be grateful. If she bought it for him, could she go back to that specific shop?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭massy086

Swish87 wrote: »
    My girlfriend has an Ipad that she has only just gotten back from her ex boyfriend, she wants to use it, but his password is still on the device. She has tried to rest it, but now its asking for the apple Id and username that was set up using the account. Is there a way around this? She asked him for the information, but he is ignoring her and wont respond. Any advice would be grateful. If she bought it for him, could she go back to that specific shop?
    It can only be reset with the original apple id

• Registered Users Posts: 8,477 ✭✭✭brianregan09

I'm new to iphones, but if its apple locked is that it ? Can it not be unlocked asking as I'm thinking of buying 2nd hand

I'm new to iphones, but if its apple locked is that it ? Can it not be unlocked asking as I'm thinking of buying 2nd hand

No to the first question, yes to the second.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,928 ✭✭✭dodzy

No to the first question, yes to the second.

It won't be locked by Apple. That'll be a network lock. All unlockable after required contract fulfillment or an advance payment in lieu of early unlock request.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

I have a jail broken Apple TV 2. Is it possible I can add new apps to the home screen? Or does the jailbreak prevent it?

• Registered Users Posts: 49 nigmatron

i have a jailbroken iphone 4s ios 7.0.6, i have unlocked it via sam but it doesn't seem to work for the 48 mobile network. it accepts now the sim card and shows signal but not any 48 logo and cannot make/receive any calls? any ideas? thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Meursault

Hi All,

I have an I Phone 4. It was working ok until earlier today, until i tried to access the internet and it slowed to a crawl. i tried to exit the internet (by hitting the circular button at the bottom of the phone), but it didnt work. i then tried to turn off the phone, but it just froze and then the black screen with the Apple icon appeared. it since appears to be turned off and cannot be turned back on. however one thing i did notice is that the phone vibrates when i turn on/off the mute button on the side. also, when i connect it to my laptop, i can see the songs i have downloaded from i tunes and i can alo download my photos to the laptop.

does anyone have any advice about how to turn the phone back on? it is about 5 years old and i need to upgrade, but its just annoying me because nothing actually happened to it and it was working fine earlier.

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 10,483 ✭✭✭✭guil

Similar happened a few times to me with an iPhone 4. Hold the power and home buttons together until an apple appears on screen and it will reboot.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭Savage Tyrant

I can't be the only person that gets an email for a new post on this thread and gets a little flutter of hope that a new Jailbreak has released? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Meursault

guil wrote: »
    Similar happened a few times to me with an iPhone 4. Hold the power and home buttons together until an apple appears on screen and it will reboot.

Many thanks guil, that worked for me!

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Jean Luc Discard

Hi all

I was given an unwanted Eir 5s and was wondering can you use a Meteor Sim in it as the same network "technically"

• Registered Users Posts: 10,483 ✭✭✭✭guil

Afair they are the same network code so it will work.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,951 ✭✭✭Doge

Does anyone here use the jailbreak alternative service called ipawind?

It even lets you install cydia without jailbreaking.

The catch is that its 15 dollars per year, but works on all devices including the Apple TV 4 and even fhe Apple watch!

I jailbroke 2 versions of ios and each time i got crashes in apps especially in browsers.

This might fair better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28 Tyler Durdenn

I have a question about unlocking American iPhones.

I am moving to America shortly and was hoping to get an iPhone SE (I'm on a contract with 3) before i left, however they are hard to come by.

Would it be possible to wait until I get over there, buy an Iphone SE there(would I need to buy into a lengthy contract? I'm only going for a couple of months) and then get it unlocked when I return to Ireland use use my 3 SIM card?

Any advice is much appreciated.

Advertisement