Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FAQ: Unlocking, Jailbreak, Cydia, etc - All discussion goes here

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭The Guvnor

The phone is in the process of being restored.

Thanks all.

I never checked but does the iPhone5 support 4G?

A non-successful update :(

At the last step - the screen prompt said to disconnect the phone and insert sim card.

Unfortunately the phone did not get disconnected before the sim card was inserted.

We get the 'Activation Failed' notice on the phone.

On iTunes 'The Sim Card In This Phone Does Not Appear to be supported'.

I am just wondering if the final step of not disconnecting could be the reason or if the phone is actually locked?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,483 ✭✭✭✭guil

Try it without the sim in but it sounds like it isn't unlocked at all.

Thanks Guil.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭fatknacker

I've a Canadian friend who gave me an iPhone 5, which he found dead. I was told I had to get it unlocked in its country of origin though. Is this correct?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,613 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

Father sent me over an iPhone 4 from Scotland. It's a T-Mobile one. The problem I'm having is that it has no SIM card and I'm unable to bypass the setup screen unless a valid SIM card is inserted. I tried my own SIM card but it's invalid (locked, no doubt). I get this message:

The SIM card inserted in this iPhone does not appear to be supported.
    The SIM card that you currently have installed in this iPhone is from a carrier that is not supported under the activation policy that is currently assigned by the activation server. This is not a hardware issue with the iPhone. Please insert another SIM card from a supported carrier or request that this iPhone be unlocked by your carrier. Please contact Apple for more information. I've googled around on how to unlock my phone and I haven't got a clue what I'm supposed to be looking for.

I rang up a place in Kilkenny that specialize in unlocking phones but the lad told me they aren't able to unlock phones from T-Mobile, and told me to get in touch with the original carrier to get it unlocked. I tried that but they told him (my dad) that they wouldn't be able to unlock it from there to be used in Ireland. So I'm stuck now.

I know very, very little on unlocking phones. I'm not as big a phone enthusiast as much as a majority of society appears to be nowadays. So am I going to have to accept that this phone I have is nothing more than paperweight?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,839 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Father sent me over an iPhone 4 from Scotland. It's a T-Mobile one. The problem I'm having is that it has no SIM card and I'm unable to bypass the setup screen unless a valid SIM card is inserted. I tried my own SIM card but it's invalid (locked, no doubt). I get this message:

The SIM card inserted in this iPhone does not appear to be supported.
    The SIM card that you currently have installed in this iPhone is from a carrier that is not supported under the activation policy that is currently assigned by the activation server. This is not a hardware issue with the iPhone. Please insert another SIM card from a supported carrier or request that this iPhone be unlocked by your carrier. Please contact Apple for more information. I've googled around on how to unlock my phone and I haven't got a clue what I'm supposed to be looking for.

I rang up a place in Kilkenny that specialize in unlocking phones but the lad told me they aren't able to unlock phones from T-Mobile, and told me to get in touch with the original carrier to get it unlocked. I tried that but they told him (my dad) that they wouldn't be able to unlock it from there to be used in Ireland. So I'm stuck now.

I know very, very little on unlocking phones. I'm not as big a phone enthusiast as much as a majority of society appears to be nowadays. So am I going to have to accept that this phone I have is nothing more than paperweight?

He shouldn't have mentioned Ireland at all. He needs to request the unlock from T-Mobile. They may text him then to tell him it is unlocked after a few days, or keep checking by syncing with iTunes. He would then need to connect it up to iTunes, on his account and the unlock will take place. Doesn't matter where you are.

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭14murphy

I bought an iPhone 6 from a friend who is in sever debt. He couldnt finish his bill off with Vodafone. Is their anyway to unlock the phone without having to go through Vodafone ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭naasrd

14murphy wrote: »
    I bought an iPhone 6 from a friend who is in sever debt. He couldnt finish his bill off with Vodafone. Is their anyway to unlock the phone without having to go through Vodafone ?

There is but it's very likely Vodafone will block the handset because it's still in contract and still their phone. You have, more or less, bought a bricked phone as it will be rendered useless for use in Ireland in a matter of days.

naasrd wrote: »
    There is but it's very likely Vodafone will block the handset because it's still in contract and still their phone. You have, more or less, bought a bricked phone as it will be rendered useless for use in Ireland in a matter of days.

Vodafone don't block phones that were on contract. The reps have stated so a few times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭14murphy

guil wrote: »
    Vodafone don't block phones that were on contract. The reps have stated so a few times.

So whats my best way to try use it. I bought it from him for €50 he never took care of it smashed the screen up, silent and home button are bust too. I want to give it to the missus and she's on meteor. If seen the lads on ebay saying they can unlock them or the new grevey sims ? Has anyone had any experience with either ?

14murphy wrote: »
    So whats my best way to try use it. I bought it from him for €50 he never took care of it smashed the screen up, silent and home button are bust too. I want to give it to the missus and she's on meteor. If seen the lads on ebay saying they can unlock them or the new grevey sims ? Has anyone had any experience with either ?
    If you know anyone with Vodafone bill pay or prepay, they can request the unlock from nac.vodafone.ie

You can get 3 phones unlocked per year with bill pay. Not sure with prepay.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,604 Mod ✭✭✭✭horgan_p

Another victim of officialiphoneunlock.co.uk
    Stay away from there. Thought I was smart enough to know a scam when I saw it. Obviously not.

horgan_p wrote: »
    Another victim of officialiphoneunlock.co.uk
    Stay away from there. Thought I was smart enough to know a scam when I saw it. Obviously not.

How did they sting you?

£20 to go on a "pre order list" - then a further £30 to do the actual unlock.
    I strongly suspect that if I had given them the extra £30 they would have come back with " unable to unlock but for just £20 more we can do a global unlock"

Theres a pretty vocal facebook group about it. The mail I got asking me for the next £30 had a definite tone of "dont try to ask for your money back" to it.

So I'm going to try to get the iphone unlocked from 3 directly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Masala

Any unlock jailbreak out yet on IOS 8.1.3??

I think the days of software unlocks are over.

horgan_p wrote: »
    I think the days of software unlocks are over.

They have been over since 2010

• Registered Users Posts: 3 aaronpryan

Does anyone know anything about running iOS 6 apps on iOS 8? Reason I'm asking is I've got an older version of the Facebook app, but it doesn't seem to work right. Everything else is working okay except for when you go to type a message in it. The message bar sorta like jumps to the top and you can't see what you write.

Any help would be appreciated. Ta.

iPhone 5S 64 GB.
    iOS 8.1
    App: Facebook 6.4

guil wrote: »
    They have been over since 2010

It's hard to believe that you could actually unlock an iPhone back then via a jailbreak. My first iPhone was unlocked that way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭Savage Tyrant

iOS 8.3 Jailbreak now available from Taig
    Very simple to do, though I did have to roll back to a slightly older version of iTunes

• Registered Users Posts: 8,951 ✭✭✭Doge

It's a leaked jailbreak and is buggy apparently.

http://www.iphonehacks.com/2015/06/taig-warns-users-not-to-install-leaked-taig-2-1-0-2-1-1-jailbreak-packages.html

I'd wait until Taig release an official jailbreak.

• Registered Users, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

Doge wrote: »
    It's a leaked jailbreak and is buggy apparently.

http://www.iphonehacks.com/2015/06/taig-warns-users-not-to-install-leaked-taig-2-1-0-2-1-1-jailbreak-packages.html

I'd wait until Taig release an official jailbreak.

It has been released offecially ..

http://www.iclarified.com/45679/where-to-download-the-taig-jailbreak-from

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭Tallaght Saint

I live in Canada and got the 6 Plus on contract in April. Had some bad health news so have to move back to Ireland within a few weeks. Went into my phone company, Telus, to see how much it would be to buy out the remainder of the 2 year contract. I was quoted $1300! Obviously I don't have the money for that so is there a way i can unlock the phone to use it at home or will it be just an expensive paperweight?

I live in Canada and got the 6 Plus on contract in April. Had some bad health news so have to move back to Ireland within a few weeks. Went into my phone company, Telus, to see how much it would be to buy out the remainder of the 2 year contract. I was quoted $1300! Obviously I don't have the money for that so is there a way i can unlock the phone to use it at home or will it be just an expensive paperweight?

You should be able to buy an unlock on eBay for your carrier for about 150 euros. Just check their rep and feedback and you'll be sorted in a few days. Hope the health improves.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭micko123

Hi there, my ipad is on 7.04. It tried a jailbreak using evasion 7 and received an error message about failure to retrieve package from the internet. I followed some threads online with advice to go into windows/sys32/hosts/etc and type I a command which I did. this moved me further along the process until the error message came up again and now i'm stumped. can anyone advise how to proceed or should I use different jailbreak software?

Thanks

You should be able to buy an unlock on eBay for your carrier for about 150 euros. Just check their rep and feedback and you'll be sorted in a few days. Hope the health improves.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Unlock-Telus-iPhone-6-6-Plus-within-24-48-HOURS-Guaranteed-/171856747574?hash=item280375dc36

This seem legit?

Yeah, that's your guy. Not a bad price either.

Would this unlock work when the phone is on the 9.1 beta?

• Advertisement

Would this unlock work when the phone is on the 9.1 beta?

Yes, it doesn't matter what the phone is running. Unlocks are not effected by that.

Advertisement