Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FAQ: Unlocking, Jailbreak, Cydia, etc - All discussion goes here

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Masala

I have a Jailbroken 4S but using software version 5.0.

I now find that some Apps need minimum version 6 to download. (Trying to get Ryanair App down but no luck)

So - have a dilemma!! I like being Jailbroken.. but need the App!

What are my options for staying Jailbroken and getting up a few levels on software??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭Savage Tyrant

Masala wrote: »
    I have a Jailbroken 4S but using software version 5.0.

I now find that some Apps need minimum version 6 to download. (Trying to get Ryanair App down but no luck)

So - have a dilemma!! I like being Jailbroken.. but need the App!

What are my options for staying Jailbroken and getting up a few levels on software??

Update to 7.1.2 and jailbreak with Pingu.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭131spanner

mcw92 wrote: »
    I wouldn't buy it based on it using a gevey sim. They are a lot of hassle compared to having it factory unlocked.

Indeed, thanks for the sound advice! Having looked around, a factory unlocked one can be bought for €65 extra (and probably less if I kept looking), so that seems like a more reliable option. Thanks again!

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭14murphy

Folks been out of the jailbreak loop for a while . whats the easiest way to jailbreak an iPhone 5S on the latest software. I just want Cydia and all that stuff. Any quick advice ?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 4,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭nava

14murphy wrote: »
    Folks been out of the jailbreak loop for a while . whats the easiest way to jailbreak an iPhone 5S on the latest software. I just want Cydia and all that stuff. Any quick advice ?

Upgrade to 7.1.2 after use Pangu to jealbreak

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,928 ✭✭✭dodzy

131spanner wrote: »
    I've my eyes on a iPhone 4s on Adverts, which was on the Softbank Japan network but has been unlocked by Gevey Sim. I haven't officially offered money for it yet and I'm wondering if it'd be a good purchase?

Seems to be in good nick externally, but would the fact that it's originally from Softbank make it a hassle to operate?

I'd have no problem paying a bit to get a proper unlock sorted after buying it, but is this one a dodgy purchase..? (I'm on Vodafone, btw).
    unnecessary hassle. 220 will get you an unlocked unit.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭Glebee

Glebee wrote: »
    Any body know how long it usually takes for O2 to come back with an unlock. Ive send in a request for an unlock on a old iphone 3GS I had lying around. Been 2 days and no contact back from them.
    ** Silly me, I see on the 02 site it usually takes 2-3 days for unlock code to come back.

Ok so it been a nearly a week and no unlock code received yet from O2. Do they usually take this long and what other options have I got??:)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 4,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭nava

Glebee wrote: »
    Ok so it been a nearly a week and no unlock code received yet from O2. Do they usually take this long and what other options have I got??:)

Contact them again, maybe try the Talk To section here in Board.

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Saint Sonner

Hi looking some advice I have an iphone4 and I've just got new iPhone 5s.

What's the best way to transfer all my info from one phone to the other. I was thinking this would be a good way of tidying up my phone eg deleting lots of numbers I don't need any more.

Any tips?

Thanks?

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Saint Sonner

What's the best way to transfer all my info from one phone to the other. I was thinking this would be a good way of tidying up my phone eg deleting lots of numbers I don't need any more.

Any tips?

Thanks?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Simply Red

Anybody know of any tweaks other than activator for locking your device?

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭logic

Any tips?

Thanks?

Itunes has a backup / restore, you back up your old phone and restore it on to the new phone. All your info (sms, pics, music, apps etc) should go across. Worked for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭Liamario

Is iphone 5 unlockable via jailbreak?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,483 ✭✭✭✭guil

Liamario wrote: »
    Is iphone 5 unlockable via jailbreak?

If you mean via ultrasn0w the answer is no and most likely never will be.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

so is ios8 gonna get cracked does anyone know?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭basill

Pangu released a tweet yesterday saying they are working on it. I read somewhere else that the ios 8 beta released to developers around 6 months ago and the iOS 8 released yesterday are the same build number so you would hope the jailbreakers should be almost there?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

Cool thanks..havent been jailbroken in too long..looking forward to seeing how it goes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 877 ✭✭✭Magnate

This is why I love Apple..

So I was jailbroken and decided to upgrade to IOS 8. I thought I'd chance just upgrading directly through iTunes without un-jailbreaking it first. It was a bit of a disaster, it froze and I had to restore. It was my first time ever restoring a phone but it couldn't have gone smoother! 10 minutes later and it's as if nothing had ever happened!.. Well I'm not jailbroken anymore (I don't think?) but I no longer have a need to so I'm happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭livEwirE

As of September 2014 what is the best method to use to Jailbreak the ATV2 please and then install XBMC? Looking for a good solid guide for a n00b and want to know which is the best software to use :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭massy086

livEwirE wrote: »
    As of September 2014 what is the best method to use to Jailbreak the ATV2 please and then install XBMC? Looking for a good solid guide for a n00b and want to know which is the best software to use :)

what firmware is it running????

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭gillamandango

Am looking for an iphone 6..

If i buy an unlocked one in the USA, will it work in Ireland with Vodafone?

Also, if it was locked to Verizon or whatever network in the USA, would I be able to unlock it here in ireland?

Thanks in advance

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,839 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

livEwirE wrote: »

iclarified.com is the best place for info on jailbreaking.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭livEwirE

massy086 wrote: »
    what firmware is it running????

Not sure, it belongs to a mate of mine and I haven't got it yet.

@ whiterebel - will check that out thanks :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭Beano

probably better off asking a mod to move this to a more appropriate forum. The US uses different frequencies to Ireland so they may not work. Some us networks dont even use GSM so a phone made for those networks definitely will not work.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 zwitek

Does 3.ie unlocks iphones upon requests? what is the story with this network. I bought iphone 6 locked with this network and would like to unlock it. Appreciate any advise.

I submitted an unlock request to emobile for my 4s as I'm upgrading to the 6. I got an email saying its process and detailing the procedure for unlocking.

In the procedure it states that I need to insert the new sim (from a different operator) and when the process is finished that the phone will now be locked to the network of the sim I insert. Is this really the case? If so is it possible to totally unlock it?

Ideally I want to be able to chop and change networks on it rather than get it locked to another.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,483 ✭✭✭✭guil

zwitek wrote: »
    Does 3.ie unlocks iphones upon requests? what is the story with this network. I bought iphone 6 locked with this network and would like to unlock it. Appreciate any advise.
    Three won't unlock it until the end of contract.

I submitted an unlock request to emobile for my 4s as I'm upgrading to the 6. I got an email saying its process and detailing the procedure for unlocking.

In the procedure it states that I need to insert the new sim (from a different operator) and when the process is finished that the phone will now be locked to the network of the sim I insert. Is this really the case? If so is it possible to totally unlock it?

Ideally I want to be able to chop and change networks on it rather than get it locked to another.
    No that's a load of crap and has been posted here numerous times. Once it's unlocked it stays unlocked.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,928 ✭✭✭dodzy

guil wrote: »
    No that's a load of crap and has been posted here numerous times. Once it's unlocked it stays unlocked.
    Spot on, coupled with the fact that simply inserting a SIM will not magically unlock any iphone. You will need to connect to itunes to activate the unlock via restore, and as Guil has stated, once done, its unlocked for life.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

Is there anywhere that will unlock a three iPhone 5s? Switching phones and want to give my old one to my girlfriend. Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭massy086

Is there anywhere that will unlock a three iPhone 5s? Switching phones and want to give my old one to my girlfriend. Thanks.
    probably only 3

Advertisement