Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FAQ: Unlocking, Jailbreak, Cydia, etc - All discussion goes here

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

Here's a list in alphabetical order of some tweaks I've got installed, and I'll try to describe what use they serve:

Activator. Gestures and button pushes to launch applications. Currently using for double tap on the lock button to turn on the flashlight, and in conjunction with another app, running my finger along the bar at the top changes brightness level. Very handy tweak. (SpringFlash, Swipebright)

Anti Tint. Disables the blue colour on the status bar which I didn't like.

Auxo. Better app switching.

Bars. Improved accuracy on the signal strength bars, handily lets you know your strength in quarter bar steps.

Bolt. Removes the battery icon and just leaves %. Shows an electric bolt sign when charging. Nice to use because the battery icon just gets in the way when you've got % turned on.

Browser changer. Allows you to change the default browser used when clicking links. Really useful app for me as I use chrome all the time.

Camera tweak. Bring some very nice features to the camera app like timelapse and timer. Also allows more control over exposure and focusing.

Dashboard X. Widgets on springboard.

Folder Enhancer. Allows more apps in folders. Useful to keep things organised instead of having 5 "games" folders.

Forecast. Nice addition to the lockscreen, works with the weather app to display the current temperature of your location.

Gesturizer. Allows you to create custom gestures to open applications, unlike activator these gestures can be drawn by you, meaning you could possibly have a gesture for each of your apps, and it could all be very useful. But, from my experience it would always have been quicker just to open the app manually. Still worth mentioning as it's quite cool.

iCleaner. Respringing causes a large amount of information to be cached, and that coupled with the installing and removing of lots of apps and tweaks, your phone can become full of useless information, this app deletes that information. Each time I've run it it has reclaimed at least 150MB.

Screen Extender. Stretches apps which haven't been adapted for the iPhone 5. Worked flawlessly so far.

SpringFlash. As mentioned in relation to Activator, springflash allows you to set a gesture to toggle your flashlight on and off. MUCH quicker than any other app or widget for your flashlight. This has been the most useful tweak.

Springtomize 2. Plenty of things to play with, too much to describe, what I've used it for is resizing my app icons and changing my dock.

Swipebright. With activator you can slide your finger on the status bar and change the screen brightness. Very handy, a bit finicky to get it to accurately change the brightness but still very handy.

UnlockFX. Something nice to look at when unlocking the phone, it just changes the animation. No real use just an aesthetic tweak.

Winterboard. One everyone has.

3G Unrestrictor 5. HD youtube videos, uploading in full quality, downloading apps more than 50MB. Must have app.

%hook's law. App speeds up animations and adds a slight bounce to everything. Makes the phone feel much more responsive, and looks very nice.

These are mostly all of the apps which have stayed on my phone after trying. I'd like to encourage others to post a list like this just so we can see what others are using, and hopefully find some helpful tweaks from each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭naasrd

david75 wrote: »

I do! and i think thats causing it all! thanks so much! i'm stil gonna have to do a restore but thanks a million!

hope they fix auxo, it's a beauty.

Yeah, very classy. The memory leaked caused havock all this week.

Aloud can be set to read out texts, selected alerts, notifications and announces who incomming caller is, but where it really shines is if you're out in the rain, earphones on and a call or text comes in, rather than take your iphone out in the rain it will read you the text or announce the name of the caller.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

So i upgraded to the 6.1.1 that was released for 4s and a lot of apps/tweks/themes dont work with it. Just a heads up for anyone thinking about it.

• Registered Users, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

Anyone having trouble removing call from the call log ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,478 ✭✭✭✭guil

sharkman wrote: »
    Anyone having trouble removing call from the call log ?
    Just tried it there and had no problem

• Registered Users, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

guil wrote: »
    Just tried it there and had no problem
    Must be just me ! Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭themacdaddy

Is anyone having an issue with SMS notifications not showing up since the update/jailbreak? It was working fine up until the Jailbreak but its seems to only working intermittantly since the jailbreak process. Anyone think I should restore the re-jailbreak?

I posted this issue last week.

In case anyone is having the same issue its due to the fact that notifications aren't showing if you use an HTML based lock screen. It's only happening on IOS 6.

can anyone explain mywi to me?

my understanding is that it lets you use your iPhone as a wifi source for your laptop/iPad.

am I wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭JayC5

david75 wrote: »
    can anyone explain mywi to me?

my understanding is that it lets you use your iPhone as a wifi source for your laptop/iPad.

am I wrong?

In a nutshell, yes.

Check and see if you can do this already though, I'm with 3 and I can use the wifi hotspot setting already on the phone without any issues. I was in Thaland recently also and was using a DTAC sim and that worked also without issue. So, if it works for you as is then don't bother forking out for it. If, however, your network provider blocks you from using your phone as a hotspot, then I'd check here with others using the same network provider to ensure mywi works as it would be an awful waste of twenty quid just for a dud icon

• Advertisement

Miwi also hides the fact that you are tethering. Some providers charge through the roof for doing so

• Registered Users Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

Can you guys suggest some add ons for a jail broken apple tv 2 (seasonpass)

I have xbmc installed but what else can I use the device for, for example can i install a browser

if I have bridge installed do I need chrome download manager? I wonder

• Registered Users Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

Some tweaks I have installed, I won't repeat what FrozenFrozen has posted above but I have a lot of what he has listed installed on my own phone

f.lux - after biteSMS probably my favourite tweak. And it's so simple - it warms the colour temperature of your iPhone at night time, so you don't get blinded when you look at it at night. Simple, brilliant

Wraparound - another tweak so simple you'd wonder why the hell it's not in iOS to begin with - when you get to your last page of apps, swiping again will bring you back to the start, and vice versa. Costs 99c though

AndroidLock XT - I love this. Just your standard Android unlock mechanism, and way better than inputting an unlock code every time you use your phone too.

AsktoCall - Again, such a simple tweak. When you press on a number, you slide to confirm you want to make the call, dead handy. Think of all the times you've accidentally called someone! now, no more.

LowPowerBanner - turns the annoying low battery alert into an unobtrusive banner. I've lost count of the times I'm watching something and the battery alert comes up, stopping what I'm watching. That doesn't happen any more thanks to this!

Password Pilot - Auto-inserts your Appstore password. Handy.

Screen Extender - Makes apps that haven't yet been optimised for iPhone 5 fullscreen. Super.

Software Update Killer - Hides software update and app badges

Zephyr - Handy multi tasking gestures, the most efficient of which is to swipe up to close an app, instead of pressing the phone button.

Jailbreaking is awesome :)

how can you accidentally call someone

by having an unlocked phone in your hand, quite easily.

Roar wrote: »
    by having an unlocked phone in your hand, quite easily.
    just as easy as it is to press end call or lock the screen

just as easy as it is to press end call or lock the screen

not so much when you've accidentally made a call and put the phone into your pocket.

not so much when you've accidentally made a call and put the phone into your pocket.
    i'd call that careless rather than accidental, how can you accidentally be on the phone app and accidentally hit the small portion of screen with the number on it, Do you regualarly put your phone in you pocket unlocked?

a new low has been reached on boards.ie

• Advertisement

T-K-O wrote: »
    a new low has been reached on boards.ie

indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

Some tweaks I have installed, I won't repeat what FrozenFrozen has posted above but I have a lot of what he has listed installed on my own phone
    [...]
    Jailbreaking is awesome :)
    Great list roar! Just found AskToCall from it.

I was actually bothered by how many times I've accidentally dialed a persons number instead of copy pasting it to send to someone, with this app I won't be delayed by having to wait for the phone call to be ended. Although I've never accidentally dialed someone in my pocked on my iPhone, this will make sure it doesn't happen, too. I think it's a good app...

i'd call that careless rather than accidental, how can you accidentally be on the phone app and accidentally hit the small portion of screen with the number on it, Do you regualarly put your phone in you pocket unlocked?

Boy, you must be great fun at parties.

I insatlled XBMC on my atv2 about 6 months ago. Is it a good idea to update XBMC? If so do I just ssh in and download the latest version.

Also is anyone using Nito and what do they use if for?

thanks..

• Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭gingernut79

T-K-O wrote: »
    I insatlled XBMC on my atv2 about 6 months ago. Is it a good idea to update XBMC? If so do I just ssh in and download the latest version.

Also is anyone using Nito and what do they use if for?

thanks..

I only ever used it to update XBMC, but it is handy enough for doing that. There are other features in it that can be installed, depends on your setup.
    There is a tool now on a certain site, does the ssh'ing for you. Used it the other week after re-jb'ing ATV.

I only ever used it to update XBMC, but it is handy enough for doing that. There are other features in it that can be installed, depends on your setup.
    There is a tool now on a certain site, does the ssh'ing for you. Used it the other week after re-jb'ing ATV.

SSH in is not a problem I can do that from the computer. I installed XBMC and then NITO so NITO has XBMC listed as not installed.

If I installed the NITO XBMC will that over write my older version... My instinct tells me this could be problematic.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,610 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

Hi All

I Installed an app on Cydia and now the phone keeps re-springing to "Safe Mode". I un-installed the said app and its still in SM. I ran crash reporter (it shows Springboard as the fault) & iCleaner but no joy.
    Any ideas :(

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭curiousb

SORTED! My own stupidity of course, nothing a reboot didn't fix.

I am on contract with Three which used to allow tethering, but now doesn't (at least for me now).

I have jailbroken my iPhone and purchased MyWi to get around this but I can't get it working and am wondering if it is something I am doing or is it because Three are not allowing tethering and it is being blocked.

I have it installed with no problems, but when I turn on wireless tethering, the device does not appear in my wireless list on my iPad or laptop. Likewise with USB or bluetooth.

Has anyone done this successfully and is there any steps I am missing?

Thanks.

Hi All

I Installed an app on Cydia and now the phone keeps re-springing to "Safe Mode". I un-installed the said app and its still in SM. I ran crash reporter (it shows Springboard as the fault) & iCleaner but no joy.
    Any ideas :(

Is it Auxo by any chance?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,610 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

naasrd wrote: »
    Is it Auxo by any chance?

Nope I remove Auxo the other day. Crash reporter told me backgrounder was the cause but that was installed weeks ago. I removed backgrounder and its fine now.

Advertisement