Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A+A Beer, Friday 20th, 8:30pm, Duke on Duke St

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭OK-Cancel-Apply

If I'm not mistaken, that window in the photo looks out onto Upper Duke Lane. We were sitting next to the stairs. I actually wandered around for a while before finding the table myself.. I went upstairs, came down again and then spotted the little dinosaur. I suppose I could have easily missed it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

If I'm not mistaken, that window in the photo looks out onto Upper Duke Lane. We were sitting next to the stairs. I actually wandered around for a while before finding the table myself.. I went upstairs, came down again and then spotted the little dinosaur. I suppose I could have easily missed it too.
    Speaking of looking familiar... I could swear that I've seen Dades, robindch and Galvasean somewhere before, and Robindch knew who I was as soon as I walked up and fondled the triceratops!

Rhino! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Yeah how would a monkey be riding a dinosaur?

We'll have no anachronisms here, thank you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

Galvasean wrote: »
    Rhino! :mad:

if having a horn makes you a rhino then call me a rhino

... I'll get my coat ....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

Yeah how would a monkey be riding a dinosaur?

Very carefully I would imagine

• Advertisement

Ohh ok.... don't know why I had dinosaur on the brain! I don't think I ever looked directly at it either! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Splendour

aabeers.jpg

Top points for whoever can spot Wally in this photo.

Just one Wally ..? ;)

Cool hair Ok-Cancel-Apply.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

Top points for whoever can spot Wally in this photo.

finally spotted - juvenile and very clever:D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,964 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

Looks good craic. Well done for organising.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,247 ✭✭✭stevejazzx

aabeers.jpg

just out of shot were myself and scofflaw...who it turned out looked very familar and then we relaised we had a mutual friend.
    maybe they aren't as many atheists in dublin as i thought

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

stevejazzx wrote: »

just out of shot were myself and scofflaw...who it turned out looked very familar and then we relaised we had a mutual friend.
    maybe they aren't as many atheists in dublin as i thought

Theres actually only 3. We pretend theres more by sock puppetry. The person holding the camera and at least one seated at the table actually don't exist IRL.

Nodin wrote: »

Theres actually only 3. We pretend theres more by sock puppetry. The person holding the camera and at least one seated at the table actually don't exist IRL.

Well, the truth is that there are even fewer than that. I'm the only one who went. This photo was faked - I set up and posed four latex dummies at a vacant table. :p The one on the left kept falling over.

Well, the truth is that there are even fewer than that. I'm the only one who went. This photo was faked - I set up and posed four latex dummies at a vacant table. :p The one on the left kept falling over.
    Did anyone bring a Bible?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Latex men are very expensive, but as the religous tend to hog the straw variety, I suppose its something we'll have to live with....

I don't think so. Didn't see one there anyway. Maybe we should organise an atheist Bible reading... it'll be sort of like Mass, except we read from the 'bad' parts! :pac:
    Nodin wrote:
    Latex men are very expensive, but as the religous tend to hog the straw variety, I suppose its something we'll have to live with....

LOL! Maybe a 'latex man' argument should be like a straw man, only one that somebody keeps using over and over!

I don't think so. Didn't see one there anyway. Maybe we should organise an atheist Bible reading... it'll be sort of like Mass, except we read from the 'bad' parts! :pac:

That would have to be the "God Delusion" but wouldn't that mean a belief in something collectively -which is bad ?

CDfm wrote: »
    That would have to be the "God Delusion" but wouldn't that mean a belief in something collectively -which is bad ?

Reading = believing?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

wouldn't that mean a belief in something collectively -which is bad ?
    Only if it's made up!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Goduznt Xzst

a friend of mine used to always carry a pocket bible with him on nights out, especially if we where heading out to the beach for a fire and a few beers. Never knew why he did so as he was an atheist until one night when a bunch of drunken teen yobs stumbled over to our fire to hassle us. Out came the Bible and my friend flicked open a random page and said "oh good, we where about to begin a bible study, would you's like to sit down and listen to a few scriptures". The horrified looks on their faces followed by their silently leaving and walking away led to an applause from the rest of us for our friend to which he responded "all other things being equal, religious weirdos trump all other weirdos hands down"

Out came the Bible and my friend flicked open a random page and said "oh good, we where about to begin a bible study, would you's like to sit down and listen to a few scriptures". The horrified looks on their faces followed by their silently leaving and walking away led to an applause from the rest

Mighty - a few years back a monk i know monastary had part of is garden buldozed in an the local bar/hotel put a beer garden in. Beer and music being kind of against the retreat business -tempers got freyed. CD arrives from yonder and had a great night putting the world to rights in Toners on Saturday night. Sunday 12 o clock a crowd of hungover people plus monk (who hadnt been that keen to start with) assend on monastery for the outdoor rosary- for a few weeks it was a sort of an underground thing and a pilgrimage by trainee nurses. You even had a bunch of Roscommon or Cavan football supporters( I think) showing up in a minibus on their way to a match one Sunday to meet the nurses and pray -at which time the Prior put a stop to it.

• Advertisement

Galvasean wrote: »
    Reading = believing?

Ah bless ya - you are getting all allegorical.

That would be hillarious. Regular meetings, reading the very worst part of the Bible.

That would be hillarious. Regular meetings, reading the very worst part of the Bible.

Tim are you comin out of the closet as a christian -you know a member of group of people ,reading bible etc regularily for enjoyment.

You know something? I think we've stumbled upon a great idea! An 'alternative' Mass, to help people make up their minds about Christianity, or for people who are too scared/guilt-ridden to break free... Only genuine Bible passages, and sermons derived from those teaching should be read. It could be in a disused church or hall. Whoever looks the most like a priest could dress up and do the readings. :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

reading bible etc regularily for enjoyment.
    People read it for enjoyment? It's about as much fun as Vogon poetry...

robindch wrote: »
    People read it for enjoyment? It's about as much fun as Vogon poetry...

Four guys got on a bus on Friday joined together by religion and got of at the next stop as they had left Wally in the Pub. How Christian is that?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

How Christian is that?
    Somewhere between a four and a six I'd say.

What do you reckon?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭DapperGent

It talks so much and says so little.

You know something? I think we've stumbled upon a great idea! An 'alternative' Mass, to help people make up their minds about Christianity, or for people who are too scared/guilt-ridden to break free... Only genuine Bible passages, and sermons derived from those teaching should be read. It could be in a disused church or hall. Whoever looks the most like a priest could dress up and do the readings. :)

OK-Cancel-Apply - they should coin the phrase Liberal Atheist just for you.

IN the USA Atheist groups are paranoid about being infiltrated by Christians and there you are doing the atheist "blasphemy" thing and making it Christian friendly.

• Advertisement

OK-Cancel-Apply - they should coin the phrase Liberal Atheist just for you.

IN the USA Atheist groups are paranoid about being infiltrated by Christians and there you are doing the atheist "blasphemy" thing and making it Christian friendly.

That's teh thing about atheists, yo'd never know what you're gonna get! :pac:

Advertisement