Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post pics of your watches ***Please NO QUOTING PHOTOS***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭Mredsnapper

I like the mk2 reissue. I like white speedy hands not the metal ones on '57's.

Btw. Read somewhere that they are under £4k

here- Is the link
    http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.php?t=292596

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭fulladapipes

Having looked at that thread Mredsnapper, I'm not so sure about the Mark II now. I was speaking to an (the?) Omega dealer today who's seen both and said a) the '57 was nicer; and b) they won't have any until the summer at the earliest (why on earth, if they're for sale already in London and the UK and Ireland are lumped in together as one market by Omega).

Anyway, while I was there, I tried on this co-axial 9300...which doesn't wear as large as you'd think given it's 44.25mm. The legibility of this was amazing - much better than my normal Speedy which I put side-by-side. Not sure why that is.

Speedmaster9300_zps3534106c.jpg

Having looked at that thread Mredsnapper, I'm not so sure about the Mark II now. I was speaking to an (the?) Omega dealer today who's seen both and said a) the '57 was nicer; and b) they won't have any until the summer at the earliest (why on earth, if they're for sale already in London and the UK and Ireland are lumped in together as one market by Omega).

Anyway, while I was there, I tried on this co-axial 9300...which doesn't wear as large as you'd think given it's 44.25mm. The legibility of this was amazing - much better than my normal Speedy which I put side-by-side. Not sure why that is.

That's a nice watch alright. Looks like your wrists can handle the size.

Not my wrist - sorry I robbed that from Hodinkee - should have credited them. It is a fine watch though. It retains enough of the original Speedy vibe yet has that elusive date function!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,384 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

What was the price on th Co axial 9300

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

• Advertisement

€6,600 RRP. You'd get it for a bit less though, I'm sure. The Submariner I have would have to go.

€6,600 RRP. You'd get it for a bit less though, I'm sure. The Submariner I have would have to go.

That's a big chunk of change....

It is indeed. I took the plunge a while ago though, so would be flipping rather than adding money to anything. That's why it'd need to be a keeper. There's something about a Speedmaster though...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 limk2014

My first time posting in this forum. I'll try get some pics of my collection up. Here's my Tudor watch

Very nice. What year is that?

• Advertisement

Very nice. What year is that?

It's 1946. My grandfather gave it to me

• Registered Users Posts: 5,919 ✭✭✭OldRio

limk2014 wrote: »
    It's 1946. My grandfather gave it to me

In monetary terms that watch is priceless.

I also have this watch which I know very little about. It has Cylinder 10 Steine written in it

Steines means 'stones' I think, so I reckon that could refer to jewels?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

OldRio wrote: »
    In monetary terms that watch is priceless.
    In actual terms it's not exactly cheap either. :) A Tudor from the 40's is Very cool L. Kudos.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

OK so not exactly watches, but since this is also the Timepiece forum...

My two aircraft cockpit clocks.
    297186.jpg

The one on the right I got years ago and is a so called "Mig Clock" from the former Soviet Union, made in 1983. It came in a packing case with it's official documentation, including timekeeping tests. They were fitted to a number of aircraft types, not just Migs. Pulgs on the back for attaching power(27 volts)Ticks loudly. Nicely accurate too. Nicked Based on a Jaegar movement IIRC. Has a chronograph as well as a second timezone in the top subdial. Pretty cool. Here's a pic with one in situ(Mig 29 apparently)
    airclock_mig29-cockpit.jpg

The one on the left is a Dodane Type 11. Also a chronograph. Fitted to jets like the Mirage and also Helicopters. Here it is in the former(left of center).
    040320_mirage2000.jpg
    Mine is missing the chrono button, just below the 6/30 on the dial. It turns out Dodane are still going strong and still a family business too. :) They still have the parts for these apparently.

Interesting company history. Since the 1950's they also produced wristwatch chronos(the type 21) for the French air force along with such names as Breguet. Very nice they were too.
    dodane_type21_front
    And they're still making funky pilots chronos. Might be worth a look for someone looking for a watch more out of the ordinary than the usual big names and with a deep and continuous history in aviation. http://www.dodane1857.fr/Chronographe-Type-21_4.html
    Their website can be flaky at times though.

See Micro, no keyboards in sight. :D

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

OK a little sideways, but a bit of a warning/word to the wise if any of you wear your watches on G10/NATO straps. I've had this happen before, but TBH had forgotten about it, only to spot it this morning on one of my watches. Basically Nato straps can put quite the bit of force on springbars and the nylon on the non leather ones can grab at the springbar shoulders over time and you can end up with this;
    297488.jpg

Bent springbars, one was ready to fall out. In the past I've sourced shoulderless ones that are thicker, but forgot the standard cheap arse ones were on this particular watch. The Seiko diver ones are a good example(a couple of quid on ebay), much thicker, though this may be an issue on some lugs if the space is tight. The marathon SAR ones are even tougher, but if you don't have drilled lugs they're so tough you usually have to cut them out. No biggie if you're running a Nato strap.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

I posted a while ago how my NATO stopped my watch from hitting the ground when a spring bar failed. But it's possibly likely that had the watch been on a normal strap, the spring bar would not have failed in the first place.

As an aside, my latest watch has screw in bars instead of spring bars. Makes things so much easier - especially with the choice of 7 straps it came with!

I had coffee with a mate this morning and noticed he was wearing this. It's not a Speedmaster, but a Seamaster, bought in 1981 in the US when he was studying there, and it cost $625 which was a lot of money then, apparently. It's still his daily wearer, but badly needs a service. Anybody know anything about it??

IMG_20140307_115645_1_zps7f4a543f.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Ryath

Eoin wrote: »
    I posted a while ago how my NATO stopped my watch from hitting the ground when a spring bar failed. But it's possibly likely that had the watch been on a normal strap, the spring bar would not have failed in the first place.

As an aside, my latest watch has screw in bars instead of spring bars. Makes things so much easier - especially with the choice of 7 straps it came with!

Which watch is that?

http://www.steinhartwatches.de/en/APOLLON-Automatic,453.html

This is tempting me at the moment really like the versatility of it how you can change the look of it and as you say with screw bars very handy if I wanted to change between leather, rubber or a bracelet.
    I'm probably going to resist though I still have a long term goal of getting a Stowa flieger so trying to avoid the temptation to buy cheaper watches till I get it.

• Advertisement

That's a very nice Omega. Very cool steel with 18 karat gold embedded in the case. Very 80's :) I recall seeing them as time only, non chronograph ones, but not one like that(I think there was even a quartz digital version). That would be worth a few bob I reckon. It doesn't say automatic on the dial so is it quartz? That would be less valuable, but still... I presume it's an auto if he needs a service though?
    Eoin wrote:
    Yea, ironic in that the one major advantage of Natos may actually cause the issue. TBH I've had it happen rarely enough and only on cheap generic "H Samuel" type springbars. On the Seiko diver bars they don't budge. It can depend on the design of the lugs too, some exert a higher pressure on the strapbars than others, particularly on a Nato strap. I've not had this issue on any of the leather Natos I've had even with the cheaper bars, I suspect it's the nylon grabbing that adds to it. Screw in bars are the best IMHO. Fixed are just for nutters like me. :D Rolex bars are very strong and the holes in the lug are deeper(I couldn't get them to fit a non rolex. Mad pricey too).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Ryath wrote: »
    Which watch is that?

http://www.steinhartwatches.de/en/APOLLON-Automatic,453.html

This is tempting me at the moment really like the versatility of it how you can change the look of it and as you say with screw bars very handy if I wanted to change between leather, rubber or a bracelet.
    I'm probably going to resist though I still have a long term goal of getting a Stowa flieger so trying to avoid the temptation to buy cheaper watches till I get it.

It's a Maranez Layan - I posted a pic a few days ago on this thread. I didn't realise at the time that it was such a rip off of a Radiomir. It has a brass case, so a bracelet won't suit it, so it's just a collection of leather and NATO straps.

The normal spring bars aren't too bad to change though - the only problem I've had changing a strap with screwbars was with a recent Hamilton where the end links were incredibly snug with the lugs, so you had to try and depress the spring while pulling the end link away.

I think you're right to hang on though and save up if you've something in mind.
    Wibbs wrote: »
    It can depend on the design of the lugs too, some exert a higher pressure on the strapbars than others, particularly on a Nato strap.

What design would cause a problem - the lugs being too high off the wrist?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Ryath

Didn't realize that was a collection of straps in the pic thought they were other watches. Have a getat pan homage with screw bars but I'm not tempted to put it on anything else. I have a seiko orange monster on a bracelet I'm thought about getting some rubber straps for but was worried about finding the spring bars too fiddly. Have replaced broken springbars in the past but wouldn't see myself switching straps regularly with them.

I'm trying resist temptation alright but a Stowa is a good chunk of money to invest in a watch at the minute for me and I'd like to get something new.

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭m4r10

While screw in bars are a bit safer, I almost lost my latest addition because the screw fell off the watch. Lucky me I did change beforehand the bracelet with a rubber band and it gripped the tube much better than the bracelet would have and that saved the watch from a serious fall.

That's to teach me to use the Loctite glue which I purchased and it's still unused :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,767 ✭✭✭amacca

I've had springbars on a seiko skx007 bend on me when I fitted a mesh bracelet to it (wjean) trouble is the fatter stronger springbars won't go through the openings at the end of the bracelet so it looks like ill have to get better quality standard sized ones or fatter wrists

I suspect I won't have as much trouble achieving the latter as the former.

What design would cause a problem - the lugs being too high off the wrist?
    Something like that yea E. The bars above came from my 1960's Lip divers watch. It seems to be hard on bars for some reason, even though the lugs point downwards well enough. My same vintage Heuer though bigger and heavier doesn't budge on the bars. I dunno why TBH. *goes off to weld permanent bars to all my springbar lugs*. :)
    amacca wrote: »
    I've had springbars on a seiko skx007 bend on me when I fitted a mesh bracelet to it (wjean) trouble is the fatter stronger springbars won't go through the openings at the end of the bracelet
    Yea he thicker Seikos are damn solid lugs(the SAR's even moreso) but that is a problem with them. They'll only fit certain straps/lugs.
    so it looks like ill have to get better quality standard sized ones or fatter wrists

I suspect I won't have as much trouble achieving the latter as the former.
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 19,696 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Have a panerai back in the stable

Base zero, all the pam you need imo :)

4B7E7C3C-969B-4B01-8096-A0864E04E6A9_zpsqwgdwfb1.jpg

Looks Friday thread familiar;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,384 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

Cyrus wrote: »
    Have a panerai back in the stable

Base zero, all the pam you need imo :)

Agreed, cant beat a Base Zero

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,262 ✭✭✭Homer

Love it Cyrus.. It's the one watch I still very much regret flipping.. Will pick up one again soon hopefully.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement