Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post pics of your watches ***Please NO QUOTING PHOTOS***

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

First off let me say I aboslutely know nothing about watches, so you will have to forgive me. My grandfather gave me this watch, he said he got it about 30 years ago, not sure how accurate that is but it is very worn and scratched from him wearing it over the years.
    I like it and place a decent bit of personal value in it. As I said, I know pretty much nothing about watches, for all I know this could be a very cheap poor brand. I havent seen anybody else on here wearing the brand Citizen so I dont know. I might get a bit more interested into them as I age, im only 20.
    I have a very thin wrist, incase anybody thinks it looks a bit big.

e76jE.jpg

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,111 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Say hello to your scrawny wristed twin. Meh it means we can wear vintage and look good. :D Citizen are a good brand and it looks like an early enough analogue* quartz. It wouldn't have been a cheap watch back in the day. Looks nice and retro too. For me the history of a watch is everything, or a large part of it. It's why I love vintage watches. Every time I look at the time I'm reminded other eyes have marked out their time looking at it too. So much better when it's a family member like in your case. That's the real value for me. :)

*not digital.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭pad180

does anybody know anything about this watch
    waltham serial number 3058004

• Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭Anjobe

pad180 wrote: »
    does anybody know anything about this watch
    waltham serial number 3058004

Look here http://www.nawcc-info.org/WalthamDB/LookupSN.asp

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭pad180

Anjobe wrote: »

any idea what it could be worth ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Zagato

pad180 wrote: »
    any idea what it could be worth ;)

Can't see very well in the pic, but Waltham made an awful lot of pocket watches. Really depends on how much gold is in it I'd say.

Why not look here, will give you an idea

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

The new strap has arrived, the crappy bracelet is off, my nuclear submarine is now ready to attack :D

205536.jpg

205537.jpg

205538.jpg

Another new strap arrived today, it frames herselve's latest acquisition :D

205553.jpg

As you can see, the watch has no second hand. Instead the eyes of the duck move back and forth in sync with the tic-tac ...so they do :D

Great fun altogether !

Link to a picture of the mechanism ...note the zero jewels
    http://uhrforum.de/attachments/215041d1298660290-wo-sind-die-wackelaugen-001.jpg

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,111 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Brilliant! :D

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭Homer

I thought the eyes were rolling because the angle and direction the crown is going :p

• Advertisement

*runs to ebay* :D

• Registered Users Posts: 30,113 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

at the end of that video, it highlighted some videos of the users other clocks :D

• Registered Users Posts: 19,890 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

My new (to me) omega seamaster pro quartz, sold the Tag F1 gulf (quickly i know) and got this in as a grab and go, beater, holiday watch.

Its in lovely condition and a lovely size but not sure about the blue,

if anyone is interested in it and has something similar to trade send me a pm :)

644335db.jpg
    420c41f7.jpg
    786769bc.jpg
    7af6d461.jpg
    d1ee5467.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

Me likes. There was one on TZ for buttons. Did you buy?

Bullseye1 wrote: »
    Me likes. There was one on TZ for buttons. Did you buy?

no mine is in better nick than that one ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭CarltonBrowne

I've had the G-P for a while but the buckle is a new incoming; finally got this to the stage I wanted it to. New crown (the old one fell off :eek:) new alligator strap and an OEM buckle. G-P accessories are proving a little difficult to get hold of; they gave me a list of their approved UK resellers and I was finally successful on the 5th one down the list; Selfridges.
    GP1.JPGGP2.JPg
    GP3.JPG
    GP4.JPG
    GP5.JPG
    GP6.JPG

I've had the G-P for a while but the buckle is a new incoming; finally got this to the stage I wanted it to. New crown (the old one fell off :eek:) new alligator strap and an OEM buckle. G-P accessories are proving a little difficult to get hold of; they gave me a list of their approved UK resellers and I was finally successful on the 5th one down the list; Selfridges.

beauty of a watch, im guessing a vintage one of some sort?

any more details :)

The previous owner had a thread up somewhere else (Watchuseek??) and the view was that it was from the early 80's and the movement is an A. Schild automatic. I have had the caseback off and when I get a minute I'll take a movement photo. It's quite a nice size for vintage; about 36mm and the size of the lugs, being quite generous, give it quite a bit of presence. Here's a wrist shot.

According to Roland Ranfft "the movent is either an FHF 90-5 (18000bph) or FHF 905 (21600bph)"
    http://www.ranfft.de/cgi-bin/bidfun-db.cgi?10&ranfft&&2uswk&FHF_905
    13042012.JPG

Had a very pleasant meeting with Monty of this parish on Saturday in Twickenham and managed to liberate this from him together with a bottle of Chimay. The bracelet on this thing is something else and there is quite a significant piece of heft for a vintage piece. I think it needs a new spring bar at 6 o'clock and I'm coming round to the point of view that a bit of a light refinishing might be in order.

JLC1.JPG
    JLC2.JPG
    JLC3.JPG
    JLC4.JPG
    JLC5.JPG
    JLC6.JPG
    JLC7.JPG
    JLC8.JPG

• Advertisement

The JLC reminds me a lot of my iwc ingenieur 3227 :)

What kind of money would something like that GP run me (if you dont mind me asking) its a stunner

Not at all; it was originally sold on TZ-UK for £140. I swapped it with the buyer for a slightly scruffy Precista PRS20 so the value of that trade would have been marginally more. I've seen a couple similar on Ebay in the upper £200s but they've mostly looked like cut and shut jobs and I wouldn't touch them with yours :).

Not at all; it was originally sold on TZ-UK for £140. I swapped it with the buyer for a slightly scruffy Precista PRS20 so the value of that trade would have been marginally more. I've seen a couple similar on Ebay in the upper £200s but they've mostly looked like cut and shut jobs and I wouldn't touch them with yours :).

jeebus, that is some value :eek:compared to a similar vintage DJ or something

It's also a very good reason not to buy a new G-P.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭Reloc8

Carlton that GP is a beaut - excellent pick up at the price too. A keeper for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭MrSparkle

That GP is really nice - I love the dial. That's a fantastic price you picked it up at.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

I've been on eBay and there is alot of very low prices GPs on there. Are these fake or do vintage GPs really sell that low? One of the oldest watch makers it doesn't make sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

I've been on eBay and there is alot of very low prices GPs on there. Are these fake or do vintage GPs really sell that low? One of the oldest watch makers it doesn't make sense.
    Hard to get a nice, original one though.

Yea they are generally far cheaper than equivalent marques. Not that unusual in the vintage market either. Longines would be another marque that are similarly cheaper than equivalents. Pre 70's Zenith ditto. Take a roughly equivalent Omega and Longines and GP the Omega is likely a third more expensive(at least). This won't last too much longer IMH, so there are bargains to be had. Like Monty said though it can be hard to find an original unmolested one

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭dancrowley

Long time waiting for this, but I finally got my hands on it (I'm overseas so had to wait for a visiting colleague to hand-carry it from home).
    It's one of the few "special" edition Fliegers that Stowa released early in the year and I was fortunate enough to be one of the 19 recipients.

At 40mm, it's the smallest of my pack, but I feel it fits well.

The lume shot is a result of charging the lume with my iPhone flashlight.

photo_1.jpg

photo_3.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement