Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post pics of your watches ***Please NO QUOTING PHOTOS***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

This is it wrote: »
    It seems to have already done the rounds in here. Just need the lockdown to end so I can get a new battery for it. Thanks sparrowcar :)

If you're at all confident with tools I'd order a caseback opener and some batteries online and do a battery change at home myself. Maybe have a look on youtube first to see if it's something you'd feel comfortable doing.

I do it for all of my wife's quartz watches - for the price of one shop change I can probably buy 20-50 years of batteries :D

That's not to say that a jeweller's price is exorbitant - they need to be paid for their time too. But it just seems like (along with changing links in a bracelet) something that is relatively easy for people to do at home. Plus you'd get the watch ticking on your wrist sooner :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭scwazrh

Thirdfox wrote: »
    If you're at all confident with tools I'd order a caseback opener and some batteries online and do a battery change at home myself. Maybe have a look on youtube first to see if it's something you'd feel comfortable doing.

I do it for all of my wife's quartz watches - for the price of one shop change I can probably buy 20-50 years of batteries :D

That's not to say that a jeweller's price is exorbitant - they need to be paid for their time too. But it just seems like (along with changing links in a bracelet) something that is relatively easy for people to do at home. Plus you'd get the watch ticking on your wrist sooner :)

Do you replace the seals to maintain water resistance?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭This is it

I'd be handy with tools but at the same time I'd be afraid I'd botch it somehow. I don't know anything about watches. It took me longer than I'd care to admit to figure out I had to "unscrew" the crown to set the time... :/

scwazrh wrote: »
    Do you replace the seals to maintain water resistance?

I check water resistance with my own home-made water resistance tester:
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin//showthread.php?t=2057851692

If it fails I'll get some new seals - but haven't needed to get one yet (be careful when twisting to make sure you don't snap the rear case seal).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,837 ✭✭✭893bet

The SARB017 is 12mm.

Edit: But the curved lugs make it wear thinner than the actual dimensions.
    SNIP

Phew. Money saved but I still have green envy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

aidankkk wrote: »
    Looks like amazon photo link doesnt work

SNIP

Whats the gshock and steinhart?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭longshotvalue

The G Shock is this one, it was £59 in December

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07RRR54LX/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I bought The Steinhart here its and Aviation. In fairness to Steinhart i lost on of the strap bars and they send me on a set for €1 delivered.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Cyclingtourist

My BM8180-03E Eco-Drive Citizen field watch. The case is 37mm (not 40mm as you will see it described, 40mm includes the crown) the thickness is just under 10mm. Mineral crystal but what do you expect for €96 from your nearest Argos store.
    Here I'm wearing it today on my 19mm (7.5") wrist, and yes I'm a ciothóg. The supplied strap (18mm) is best replaced. I'm wearing it on a JB NATO using the alternative threading method.

508974.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭Roycropper63

Have one of those somewhere. Have a feeling my son could have ' borrowed ' some time ago. Great lume if I remember correctly...

Yes the lume is pretty good. Time you 'borrowed' it back if that's where it's gone.

It's the watch James Bond would have worn if he had been relying on his civil service salary instead of taking kickbacks from baddies. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Found this in a VdP charity shop on its original ss bracelet which was pretty beat-up. Replaced it with this nice rubberized strap with reddish stitching which cost more than the watch did.

509127.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭Lorddrakul

Found this in a VdP charity shop on its original ss bracelet which was pretty beat-up. Replaced it with this nice rubberized strap with reddish stitching which cost more than the watch did.

You jammy git!

A proper dive guy dial on a Komanderskie is a good find any time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭redlead

IMG-20200411-120059.jpg

Carrying on the Vostok theme. I updated the bezel to black and went for an orange rubber strap just for a bit of fun. Haven't gone near it in months but has been getting a lot of wrist time since the lockdown. Perfect for hanging around the house and doing a bit of work in the garden.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,837 ✭✭✭893bet

Summer orange.

The sooner the lock down ends the better as a lot are feeling pain but it is important at this time to be thankful for what you do have.

[IMG][/img]C5-CE0-BCB-3586-4121-8-EAC-B17-EB2-F1104-F.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭adam88

My first expensive watch. Bought this in Vegas in the pawn shop where Pawn Stars is filmed. Probably made a little too much for it but I fell in love with it the minute I saw it. Don’t wear it often but when I do it always attracts attention

509224.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Cassius99

Just said I'd post this. It was my first proper watch that I got as an early 18th birthday present. Must have it 18+ years at this stage. It's a Victorinox Swiss Army Officers watch, ref. no. 24205 (I think). Wore it almost everyday up to last year from around 2002, only ever required the odd battery change. Started losing time then but a quick service righted it. It's been well worn and battered and bruised but it's the watch I have the closest connection with.

4pmr0a1.jpg

Cassius99 wrote: »
    Just said I'd post this. It was my first proper watch that I got as an early 18th birthday present. Must have it 18+ years at this stage. It's a Victorinox Swiss Army Officers watch, ref. no. 24205 (I think). Wore it almost everyday up to last year from around 2002, only ever required the odd battery change. Started losing time then but a quick service righted it. It's been well worn and battered and bruised but it's the watch I have the closest connection with.

Does it still glow nicely? The "T Swiss Made T" marker on the bottom indicates it has radioactive tritium in the lume.

Nothing to worry about but I wouldn't go ingesting the watch :D

• Registered Users Posts: 21,249 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

adam88 wrote: »
    My first expensive watch. Bought this in Vegas in the pawn shop where Pawn Stars is filmed. Probably made a little too much for it but I fell in love with it the minute I saw it. Don’t wear it often but when I do it always attracts attention

I'm not sure i've seen that model before - really like it! The bracelet sets it off nicely too.

adam88 wrote: »

I love that and haven't seen it before either. What model is it? I always either love Breitlings or hate them. When they get it right, they really make some great pieces.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Cassius99

Thirdfox wrote: »
    Does it still glow nicely? The "T Swiss Made T" marker on the bottom indicates it has radioactive tritium in the lume.

For years I'd wake up in the dead of night and wonder how was it so bright...well that's question answered! Its lost a bit of its intensity over the years but is still one of the brightest I have.

[quote=Nothing to worry about but I wouldn't go ingesting the watch :D[/quote]

Noted! :D

• Advertisement

Cassius99 wrote: »
    For years I'd wake up in the dead of night and wonder how was it so bright...well that's question answered! Its lost a bit of its intensity over the years but is still one of the brightest I have.

That's exactly how tritium works - it has a half life of 25 years roughly (if I recall correctly) - which means every 25 years the strength of glow roughly halves.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭hitemfrank

My mother gave me a watch this morning that belonged to my grandfather. A Citzen Crystron that from checking online was made in March 1970 or 1980 (I assume its from 1980).

IMG-20200412-122854.jpg

I plan to order a new battery and break out the poly watch to try get out some of the scratches on the crystal.

I posted on here previously about my mother's first ever watch, which she is now wearing everyday after I sent if off for repair. Turns out she still has the second ever watch she owned too.

A ridiculously small Ardana. I know nothing about these at all and googling is not turning up much information.

IMG-20200412-122744.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭porker36

this is my certina ds phantom, had my eye on it for a long time, picked it up for I think about €400 in a sale in watcho, have yet to wear it as strap was to long for my wrists :( and got forgotten about, new strap on order and looking forward to some wristime

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭adam88

redlead wrote: »
    I love that and haven't seen it before either. What model is it? I always either love Breitlings or hate them. When they get it right, they really make some great pieces.

Breitling chronoliner. It also comes with a mesh strap that sets it off nicely

https://www.authenticwatches.com/breitling-chronoliner-y2431012-be10-443a.html

IMG-20200412-134404.jpg

Missed the link, thought it would be the same milanese mesh I have but see it isn't. Super comfy!

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭fulladapipes

As the weather gets warmer (a bit anyway), my wrist expands and so I have to put an extra link onto the Datejust bracelet. It's the fiddliest bugger of a bracelet I've ever dealt with. Each gold mini-link revolves 360, and you have to get two facing one way and one the other. A man had to have a gin and tonic when it was all done.

Grh3Sxs.jpg

FtBGl9g.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,240 ✭✭✭Oral Surgeon

As the weather gets warmer (a bit anyway), my wrist expands and so I have to put an extra link onto the Datejust bracelet. It's the fiddliest bugger of a bracelet I've ever dealt with. Each gold mini-link revolves 360, and you have to get two facing one way and one the other. A man had to have a gin and tonic when it was all done.

You deserved that manly drink after that job!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,521 ✭✭✭micks_address

Need some gin and tonic advice...lemon and lime slice or just lemon?

*SNIP*

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭barrier86

893bet wrote: »
    Summer orange.

The sooner the lock down ends the better as a lot are feeling pain but it is important at this time to be thankful for what you do have.

I’ll own that one day! Delicious looking

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭fulladapipes

Lemon rind apparently. It was made fo mr by an expert.
    Need some gin and tonic advice...lemon and lime slice or just lemon?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement