Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things you wish were common knowledge.... but aren't!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,055 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

ScubaDave wrote: »
    Putting your phone on loud speaker and holding it 8 inchs from your face does NOT mean your allowed to use it while driving!
    I take it that this doesn't apply if the phone's sitting on the dash while on loudspeaker, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭daithip

Think the offence is actually to hold the mobile phone while driving, which would include texting and using the speaker.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,938 ✭✭✭deadwood

daithip wrote: »
    I'm not condoning it, dead and I've prosecuted lads for it, but it's a damn sight better seeing a guy peeing down an alley (not that I'd be looking, before the smart comments :rolleyes:) than in someone's doorway, that's my point.
    That's Mr dead to you, sonny.:D

I get your point. I find a gentle shove into the small of the back and "hello, it's not that cold, is it?" does wonders.

The alley may seem convenient it is there for a purpose. Could be access for somebodys business or a way that people walk to work.

You may have noticed all of the taxi drivers protesting lately that there is too many of them.

There is no excuse, use the toilet before you leave the bar, club, restaurant. Or wait 'til you get home.

And don't expect me to shake your hand!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Heckler

I was wondering about the abandoned cars i.e. failed ncts, clapped out etc, that are left on various roundabouts, side roads etc. Is there not some way that the various corporations who have to scrap them can give the Gardai reg numbers and find out who owns the cars to persue them ?

Someone I know had a scanner years back and says he used to hear Gardai in their cars routinely calling in reg numbers while driving around to check on outstanding fines or whatever.

Probably they can check it in-car now I don't know.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

DeVore wrote: »
    Actually I had written a big long off topic rant on this but I'm going to write it in a new post.

DeV.

Got a link?

This is the emergency services forum, so you have to back up what you say with evidence...

...oh wait...

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

daithip wrote: »
    Think the offence is actually to hold the mobile phone while driving, which would include texting and using the speaker.

Also, arguably, it depends on whether you are driving at the time or parked in traffic. Depends on the judge I suppose, although most DJs are nothing more than an extension of the local garda station to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Trojan911

Sparks wrote: »
    I take it that this doesn't apply if the phone's sitting on the dash while on loudspeaker, right?

Correct. The offence is committed if you are holding the phone and driving. So if it's down beside you or on the dash on speaker, you are ok (as long as it dosen't cause you to lose concentration).

A defence for using a phone when driving is using it to call the emergency services.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Com1186

A beaut......

person rings in and complains or you cant help with their problem WHAT IS YOUR NAME AND NUMBER GAURD...... doesnt fix the problem nor put fear into the garda....

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭TomRooney

mcguiver wrote: »

Blue light, sirens, if they are behind you and you cant see or hear them... see a doctor, and sell your car, cos you shouldn't be on the road.

just to note, it is not a legal requirement for a car to move off the road or out of the way of the Gardai whether the siren and lights are on or off, but would in my opinion be a sensible thing to do if it is safe to do so.

the reason i post this is because some Gardai seem to think they almost have the right to Ram you off the road if you happen to be in front of them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭TheNog

+1 to that and its mostly down to lack of training, tunnel vision and frustration of the amount of traffic on the part of the Gardai.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Trojan911

TheNog wrote: »
    +1 to that and its mostly down to lack of training, tunnel vision and frustration of the amount of traffic on the part of the Gardai.

I found that it was also frustrating when you know that time was of the essence to get to a scene, heavy traffic was a killer. Just had to grin & bear it sometimes in the London traffic.

Though I will hand it to Londoners, they moved pretty sharp when the need arose.

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭opti76

the fact thats its daddys car wont stop me from summonsing you for no licence or tax or headlights missing or dangerous driving or no l plates no fully licenced driver accompanying or tinted windows..

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

opti76 wrote: »
    ...or tinted windows..

Wasn't aware this was an offence.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Sully wrote: »
    Wasn't aware this was an offence.

I thought they could be 30% tinted but no darker ... so guards et al can still view in

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭Hooch

Presently there is a lazer that you attached inside and out to the vehicle to test how dark it is, but this is only on trial at the moment. We convict buy sitting into the drivers seat (legal right of a Garda to test your vehicle believe it or not) and viewing the drivers/passenger side mirrors. If your vision is blurred by tint then it is illegal and that is the evidence given in court.

And to get the tread back on track, nothing worse than on point duty with the Jeep parked across a road, lights flashing, blue lights on road, coned off and two nice big signs saying ''Road Closed'' and someone driving up ''can i go through Garda'' or ''Is the road closed Garda''.
    No my dear i just decided to try out all this flashy stuff in the middle of the road, and the signs, well i was just checking of they were in English!!!:D

Also, arguably, it depends on whether you are driving at the time or parked in traffic. Depends on the judge I suppose, although most DJs are nothing more than an extension of the local garda station to be honest.

For the purposes of the RTA the offence is holding a mobile phone while driving contrary to Section 3 RTA 1961-06 which includes holding it while on loud speaker, positioning it between your shoulder and head or even in your pocket (although that is an extreme), and parked in traffic is driving an MPV for this section.

In regard to your comment on distric court judges, i think that is very unfair. DCJ are very fair in this country. Can you back up this statement that they are an extention of the local garda station.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,004 ✭✭✭✭Esel

...includes holding it while on loud speaker, positioning it between your shoulder and head or even in your pocket (although that is an extreme).....
    Not being facetious, but is it really an offence to have the phone in your pocket?? That's where the vast majority of male drivers carry theirs, after all!

Not your ornery onager

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

And to get the tread back on track, nothing worse than on point duty with the Jeep parked across a road, lights flashing, blue lights on road, coned off and two nice big signs saying ''Road Closed'' and someone driving up ''can i go through Garda'' or ''Is the road closed Garda''.
    No my dear i just decided to try out all this flashy stuff in the middle of the road, and the signs, well i was just checking of they were in English!!!:D

Possibly something to do with the Irish tendency to declare roads closed but leave them open for locals/residents.

• Advertisement

esel wrote: »
    Not being facetious, but is it really an offence to have the phone in your pocket?? That's where the vast majority of male drivers carry theirs, after all!

im afraid it is, by da letter of da law. But really dats just to cover members detecting someone holding one and more importantly resting it on their shoulder. Its not inforced to dat level. It couldnt be. No member can search u for a mobile phone offence.

parsi wrote: »
    Possibly something to do with the Irish tendency to declare roads closed but leave them open for locals/residents.

spot on should have cleared dat up. Nothing worst than when it happens on a flooded bridge or at the on ramp to a motorway!

im afraid it is, by da letter of da law. But really dats just to cover members detecting someone holding one and more importantly resting it on their shoulder. Its not inforced to dat level. It couldnt be. No member can search u for a mobile phone offence.
    spot on should have cleared dat up. Nothing worst than when it happens on a flooded bridge or at the on ramp to a motorway!
    Whn wr 12yrold grls allwd jn da trffc crps?:D

deadwood wrote: »
    Whn wr 12yrold grls allwd jn da trffc crps?:D

O if i could only think of a sarcastic comment to throw back at you ya olde dinosaur. :D:D:D:D:p:p:p:p.

Dont tell me that you never came across this and it didnt bother you, even a small bit!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭FGR

Don't worry about it, nice guy; deadwood's used to reading txtsp33k when directing on Investigation Files.

And some l337 speak.

"pr053cu73 45 r3c0/\/\/\/\3nd3d'

Don't worry about it, nice guy; deadwood's used to reading txtsp33k when directing on Investigation Files.

And some l337 speak.

Prosecute as recommended???!!!!

Prosecute as recommended???!!!!
    dat's rite!

Nothing annoys deadwood anymore, nice guy. :D

And some l337 speak.

C u tmrw n my offs.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 lyingeyes

Advice needed on frequently recurring issue!!

garda: your exhaust is too loud
    little brother: the car passed n.c.t. with it
    garda: well its just failed my N.C.T, if i hear you again i'll impound the car, and where is your fully licenced driver??
    (little brother pointing to older brother): heavily intoxicated in the back seat
    Garda: does he have his drivers licence with him??
    little brother: no
    Garda: Your in a bit of bother so bukko!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭brayblue24

lyingeyes wrote: »
    Advice needed on frequently recurring issue!!

garda: your exhaust is too loud
    little brother: the car passed n.c.t. with it
    garda: well its just failed my N.C.T, if i hear you again i'll impound the car, and where is your fully licenced driver??
    (little brother pointing to older brother): heavily intoxicated in the back seat
    Garda: does he have his drivers licence with him??
    little brother: no
    Garda: Your in a bit of bother so bukko!!

Whatever about the decibel level of the exhaust pal on the back seat needs to be sober to qualify as an accompanying qualified driver.

Advertisement