Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things you wish were common knowledge.... but aren't!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭Hooch

gussieg wrote: »
    I had no idea there were so many gards on this site. How interestingly wonderful.
    Hmmm. I'll be more careful in future.
    As for those NCT geezers in NAAS, ooooh....dont get me started. some of them are decent guys just trying to do their job and keep safe cars on the road and unsafe off, but some of them are powerhungry RUDE dodgy chauvinistic bigoted people who seem to get a real kick out of wrecking someones day, by pointing out their left front headlamp is out of range by a few millimeters.
    It may be off topic but this is the first thread that came up when i put in the word NCT in the search.

I take it you failed so then in short:D:p!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭gussieg

haha ha. Oh yes.
    But if it were just me that would have been ok.
    That same individual and to befair it was just one guy, failed EVERY SINGLE car that morning, this I know because I stayed and saw him in action. Just so I didnt feel victimised.
    Nice of him. NOT.
    Oh and at another NCT centre, the car passed.
    It s not me Who failed officer, twas the car.
    OR maybe it was ME. Maybe he just didnt like the look of my attitude. Or my car.

Who knows.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

Thoie wrote: »
    *glances out window, looks surprised* Why would an unmarked car, running on lights and sirens, opt to undertake on the hard shoulder of the M50, rather than in the empty overtaking lane? Someone nearly swerved into him - presumably because they'd lost sight of him and thought he'd be coming up the outside.

Ah now, this is getting silly. Same thing again right now (though this time without the swerving). Does anything in particular happen around 10pm? Couldn't 100% swear it was the exact same car from here, but it certainly looked like it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

Can I ask where the "you can poo in a policeman's hat" myth came from ? I've been hearing it for years.

Alan Rouge wrote: »
    Can I ask where the "you can poo in a policeman's hat" myth came from ? I've been hearing it for years.

Open to correction....but i believe it was an old english law that a policeman had to give his hat to any pregenant woman to relieve herself. Long do away with there and never ever here in AGS

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,938 ✭✭✭deadwood

The hats don't have the soakage they used to.

More penny pinching by management. "They" (apparantly, "they" try out all our new equipment in some mystery station in the country/city) were going to buy super absorbant caps with a glockamoley/taser/pepper spray/4x4/email flexirigidbendycuff capability but some chief didn't want us getting notions.
    The RSU have them though.
    I saw them.
    In Limerick.
    They're bullet proof.
    I know.

Fact.

Can't say any more here, for obvious reasons.
    But...I know.

I bet in the shtates, you could have a right good gut buster in a cops cap and ne'er a drop would spill.

deadwood wrote: »
    The hats don't have the soakage they used to.

More penny pinching by management. "They" (apparantly, "they" try out all our new equipment in some mystery station in the country/city) were going to buy super absorbant caps with a glockamoley/taser/pepper spray/4x4/email flexirigidbendycuff capability but some chief didn't want us getting notions.
    The RSU have them though.
    I saw them.
    In Limerick.
    They're bullet proof.
    I know.

Fact.

Can't say any more here, for obvious reasons.
    But...I know.

I bet in the shtates, you could have a right good gut buster in a cops cap and ne'er a drop would spill.

LEGEND;)
    Fact....I know this!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭eddie.fandango

People who work in the video games industry do NOT sit around playing games all day!

People who work in the video games industry do NOT sit around playing games all day!

So what ye......go for lunch aswell:p

Or do ye try out new tv boxsets aswell:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭sunnyjim

Thought I'd add to this.

When you work in a beer research laboratory of a brewery, you do get to taste beer all day :D All tests done in triplicate of course!

Yours in ebriated,

'Jim

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

sunnyjim wrote: »
    Thought I'd add to this.

When you work in a beer research laboratory of a brewery, you do get to taste beer all day :D All tests done in triplicate of course!

Yours in ebriated,

'Jim

Emergency services?

:pac:

sunnyjim wrote: »
    Thought I'd add to this.

Yours in ebriated,

'Jim

Closely related to Emergency services!!!:D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭sunnyjim

Ah ****e, that'll teach me to pay attention to what window I have open!! I dread to think how many times I've done that in a thread, and not gone back to look!

Ambulances in Dublin....

What training have ambulance staff (is that what you'd call em ?:confused:) got ?
    - I heard they're only trained in basic first aid/CPR .
    Also, how many ambulances are available in Dublin in total and how many are available at any one time ? or are the two the same ?
    - I heard there's only 20 available at any one time.

Ambulances in Dublin....

What training have ambulance staff (is that what you'd call em ?:confused:) got ?
    Also, how many ambulances are available in Dublin in total and how many are available at any one time ? or are the two the same ?

Alan, don't tell anybody but, all they have are first aid boxes. Lots of them. And no training!:rolleyes:

I never said that I believed it :)

I never said that I believed it :)

You may want to mention that when posting. We can only go by whats in the post. I think there is a thread detailing the levels of training in the Ambo service if you want to go searching the forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭ROC1977

ScubaDave wrote: »
    If you are drunk, female and cannot get a taxi, Gardai are NOT obliged to drop you home!

Gardai CAN arrest you without wearing their hats!

and one that i feel i have to mention everynow and again,

Regular Gardai DONT CARRY GUNS!

The Gardai arresting without hats is a funny one. When I lived in England when I was young. They said the same about them. Something to do with their badges are on there hats, so without them they can't prove they are police. That's why in the Bill the always run back to the car to grab their hats first! lol (kids)

The drunk female one is a good one. From experince. A couple of years ago, myself and girlfriend were out having a drink. In one bar there were a group of teens drinking (no older than 16-18). One girl was drinking shot after shot. I said to my misses, she's going to be in some state later on.

Anyway we went off around the town , and later that night we saw that same girl out of it. Barely stand, didn't know where or who she was. Then I saw a car with 3 men getting out and calling the girl over. These guys wheren't Irish, but it looked dodgey. So I ran over and made out that she was with me, and told them to F%$k off. Which they did (thank God or I probably wouldn't be here now lol). My girlfriend and I asked the girl where she lives, but see was so bad she couldn't speak.

Anyway to get to the point. I flagged down a squad car and told them the situation. And I was told "not my problem, thats your problem now."
    Which I think was a disgrace. As I didn't even know the young girl, but at the same time, I what if it was my daughter. So we decided to try get her home. At the taxi rank I was we were called all sorts of names by people. Saying we were junkies, druggies, etc etc. Just becasue we tried to do the right thing. In the end we got the girl to where she said she lived. But spent from 11pm to 2am trying to do so. On Xmas EVE. At least I done my good deed that day anyway. lol

So should the Guards take drunken women/girls home. Yes if there is a danger to them they should. There job is to make sure people are safe isn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭CharlieCroker

ROC1977 wrote: »
    The Gardai arresting without hats is a funny one. When I lived in England when I was young. They said the same about them. Something to do with their badges are on there hats, so without them they can't prove they are police. That's why in the Bill the always run back to the car to grab their hats first! lol (kids)

The drunk female one is a good one. From experince. A couple of years ago, myself and girlfriend were out having a drink. In one bar there were a group of teens drinking (no older than 16-18). One girl was drinking shot after shot. I said to my misses, she's going to be in some state later on.

Anyway we went off around the town , and later that night we saw that same girl out of it. Barely stand, didn't know where or who she was. Then I saw a car with 3 men getting out and calling the girl over. These guys wheren't Irish, but it looked dodgey. So I ran over and made out that she was with me, and told them to F%$k off. Which they did (thank God or I probably wouldn't be here now lol). My girlfriend and I asked the girl where she lives, but see was so bad she couldn't speak.

Anyway to get to the point. I flagged down a squad car and told them the situation. And I was told "not my problem, thats your problem now."
    Which I think was a disgrace. As I didn't even know the young girl, but at the same time, I what if it was my daughter. So we decided to try get her home. At the taxi rank I was we were called all sorts of names by people. Saying we were junkies, druggies, etc etc. Just becasue we tried to do the right thing. In the end we got the girl to where she said she lived. But spent from 11pm to 2am trying to do so. On Xmas EVE. At least I done my good deed that day anyway. lol

So should the Guards take drunken women/girls home. Yes if there is a danger to them they should. There job is to make sure people are safe isn't it?

I wouldnt be taking her home, I'd be arresting her for S.4 Intoxication for being intoxicated to such an extent to be a danger to herself or others and get her parents down to the station at 2am to take her home!!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

I wouldnt be taking her home, I'd be arresting her for S.4 Intoxication for being intoxicated to such an extent to be a danger to herself or others and get her parents down to the station at 2am to take her home!!

You know I agree with CharlieCroker here. I've seen many's a woman and man get to such a point that they can't even stand never mind speak in a way that makes any sense and some men are just as vulnerable as some women in such a condition. I think it was her own fault to begin with for getting into such a state! and Gardaì cannot be and should not be babysitters and take people home ... perhaps ensuring they have someone with them who can assist them home though (in this case you) but it should not be up to the Gardaì to take them home imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭livvy

I totally see where you are coming from and feel you really did more than your share on xmas eve.

Re whose job is it to make sure people are safe - i feel it is the person's responsibility first, their parents if under 18. When they have failed to live up to their responsibilities i do believe the Gardai should step in.

In theory it sounds great - in practice virtually impossible to take on role of parent to every way ward teenager (and drunken adult) in the country. To be intoxicated is an offence - if this was enforced strictly half the country would be locked up on a friday night. Our drinking culture is at fault and until this culture changes our youth are always vunerable to the dangerous consequences of drinking to excess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭ROC1977

kerry4sam wrote: »
    You know I agree with CharlieCroker here. I've seen many's a woman and man get to such a point that they can't even stand never mind speak in a way that makes any sense and some men are just as vulnerable as some women in such a condition. I think it was her own fault to begin with for getting into such a state! and Gardaì cannot be and should not be babysitters and take people home ... perhaps ensuring they have someone with them who can assist them home though (in this case you) but it should not be up to the Gardaì to take them home imo.

I understand what your both saying. But I'm not that girls guardian, all I was doing was stopping her getting raped or worse by a bunch of men.
    Even arresting the girl would have been ok. What if I left her in the street? What then, and say the following day she's found raped or dead. What then?
    Just because its not in the guards job description doesn't mean they don't have to help.
    What is a Guards job on say a Saturday night in a city center. I've never seen a guard stop a fight. I've seen people attacked by gangs of yobs, and being kicked in the head. And the guards have just waiting until the assault is over before stepping in.
    But they will step in straight away when uses an alley as a toilet. lol
    I'm not having a go at the guards by the way.

Anyone see that program a couple of weeks ago on C4. Would you help a stranger? Its topical to my posts. 1/3 people in the UK said they would help a stranger in danger. the other 2/3 say they wouldn't in fear of what might happen to themselves for getting involved.
    I guess thats the world we live in today.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

I understand what your both saying. But I'm not that girls guardian, all I was doing was stopping her getting raped or worse by a bunch of men.
    Even arresting the girl would have been ok. What if I left her in the street? What then, and say the following day she's found raped or dead. What then?
    Just because its not in the guards job description doesn't mean they don't have to help.
    What is a Guards job on say a Saturday night in a city center. I've never seen a guard stop a fight. I've seen people attacked by gangs of yobs, and being kicked in the head. And the guards have just waiting until the assault is over before stepping in.
    But they will step in straight away when uses an alley as a toilet. lol
    I'm not having a go at the guards by the way.

Anyone see that program a couple of weeks ago on C4. Would you help a stranger? Its topical to my posts. 1/3 people in the UK said they would help a stranger in danger. the other 2/3 say they wouldn't in fear of what might happen to themselves for getting involved.
    I guess thats the world we live in today.

First off I can completely see where you're coming from and you're a good man for even thinking about helping a stranger like you did.
    I used to work this one girl who was fond of the demon drink and I'd see her out at 2am she would be on her own as her other mates would leave her! I would then leave my own gang to help ensure she got home okay. No-one at work would see where I was coming from...because she was 25 at the time they would say she was old enough to look after herself but I thought she wasn't! She could never see the possible dangers, she could never see what might happen when she was so vulnerable.
    When not drinking then she would be a good friend but even to this day she does not know when to stop drinking, when to call it a night!

The local gardaì know her and know what she is like but they would never intervene when they saw her like that either. I could never understand that until one night I saw a young guard trying to help one girl and she just started shouting abuse at him for trying to help her.

It can turn very nasty very fast for anyone and everyone involved in cases like this. I don't blame anyone for not wanting to intervene.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭timmywex

Ambulances in Dublin....

1) Paramedics and advanced paramedics, many levels above basic first aid! Paramedics can give certain drugs while advanced ones can give loads more, cannulate, intubate and the likes. check www.phecit.ie for more info if you want!

2) Dublin fire brigade provide 12 emergency ambulance sfor the dublin area, these are supplemented by a few more hse emergency ambulances in the outskirts of dublin. On top of that numerous hse ambulances do patient transfers.

DFB ambulance respond to about 17 calls in 24 hours! So yeh, there would be less than 20 answering 999 emergency calls at any one time generally

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭TheNog

I have another question for the Ambo lads.

Back in the 1980's my grandad drove and ambulance so I always knew him to work as an "Ambulance Driver".

My question is would he have been trained say to todays standards (taking into account of changes in medical practice etc etc) or would he have been just a driver or even trained to First Aid level?

TheNog wrote: »

Back in the 1980's my grandad drove and ambulance so I always knew him to work as an "Ambulance Driver".

My question is would he have been trained say to todays standards (taking into account of changes in medical practice etc etc) or would he have been just a driver or even trained to First Aid level?

Most of those drivers were just that nog. They were then up graded to what was then Emergency Medical First Responder, now Emergency First Responder. After that they were offered to upgrade to EMT. Most did, but a few didnt.

The EMTs were then upgraded to Paramedic with the last Paramedic course being completed in Midleton by emergency medical controllers from Cork, Kerry, Limerick and Waterford in Feb 2007. That completed all persons wishing to upgrade. Now anyone emtering the NAS trains to PHECC Paramedic

Most of those drivers were just that nog........

Ah.. so my information wasn't totally incorrect ? :)

Ah.. so my information wasn't totally incorrect ? :)

Tech speaking no.....but im refering to the mid/late 80s. The updating was done early 90s.....so your only 20 years late:D:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 buzzboy

TheNog wrote: »

Hi Back in the 70's 80's and up to 1996 the course that medics done was a course called the ambulance aid course to standards approved by the ambulance services council. Course duration 6 weeks and when the defib was introduced that took another week to complete on top of the 6. In 1997 the qualifacation EMT was introduced and all the medics that came out of NATS (National Training Training School) had EMT status. Medics trained prior to 97 had to go back to NATS for a 6 week conversion course if they wanted to (not compulsory) get the qualifaction of EMT. So i reckon your grandad didnt like being called an ambulance driver either:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11 buzzboy

Tech speaking no.....but im refering to the mid/late 80s. The updating was done early 90s.....so your only 20 years late:D:P
    Hi First conversion course was held in Nats in late 1997.

Advertisement