Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things you wish were common knowledge.... but aren't!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,082 ✭✭✭✭Random

Also... what a complete waste of a Garda's Time. In fact I think its a humilation of the Gardai involved. I was happier when I thought they were buying it for themselves !!

What he said to be honest ! Garda have enough problems getting to calls in time without spending half their time down the chipper.

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭Zuppy

dredre wrote: »
    Out of Dublin, many local fire chiefs wont dispatch to an RTC if the ambulance service requests them until the ambulance actually arrives on scene and confirms they are needed. This leads to long delays, so I would call the fire service AND the ambulance service seperately.

Either the fire or ambulance service will notify the Gardai if you ask (And often even if you don't). Depending on the incident, you might have time to ring Gardai yourself as well and avoid the chinese whispers between controls.

In Cork the Ambulance Service only seem to call the Fire Brigade AFTER they get to the scene.

Gardai and Fire Service usually don't trust anyone to call other services (for multi service call) and ring around.

Fire Service has regional controls but has no national governing body or minimum national standards, which means when you see loads of firemen milling about in different gear and trucks it looks like a ragtag outfit.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭CharlieCroker

Random wrote: »
    What he said to be honest ! Garda have enough problems getting to calls in time without spending half their time down the chipper.

You think that's bad? A prisoner gets a FREE (albeit basic) meal if they're in custody long enough. It's part of their rights.
    A prisoner also needs to be checked every 30 minutes which means while they get a break and food, the member-in-charge who's looking after them cant take a break unless there's somebody to cover for them.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,479 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

You think that's bad? A prisoner gets a FREE (albeit basic) meal if they're in custody long enough. It's part of their rights.
    A prisoner also needs to be checked every 30 minutes which means while they get a break and food, the member-in-charge who's looking after them cant take a break unless there's somebody to cover for them.

While it might seem bad for the individual garda who is stuck doing mic duty for a full shift, on the other hand, it is the responsibility of the well funded government to make sure that there are enough gardai to cover such functions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,938 ✭✭✭deadwood

While it might seem bad for the individual garda who is stuck doing mic duty for a full shift, on the other hand, it is the responsibility of the well funded government to make sure that there are enough gardai to cover such functions.

"Exigencies of the service" is a motto that management live by. It's an all-encompassing get-out-of-jail card, i'm afraid.

• Advertisement
  • Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

<off topic> Which is why we have a health care system where doctors and nurses put their own health on the line working ridiculous hours to fill in the gaps.

I have refused treatment (an injection) because the doctor was on his feet over 20 hours and was yawning while waving a needle at me. You should have seen the furor that caused....

DeV.

DeVore wrote: »
    <off topic> Which is why we have a health care system where doctors and nurses put their own health on the line working ridiculous hours to fill in the gaps.

I have refused treatment (an injection) because the doctor was on his feet over 20 hours and was yawning while waving a needle at me. You should have seen the furor that caused....

DeV.
    This him?
    5206-2863.gif

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Actually I had written a big long off topic rant on this but I'm going to write it in a new post.

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭brayblue24

deadwood wrote: »
    This him?
    5206-2863.gif

He's a great man for a cert when you need one though!

brayblue24 wrote: »
    He's a great man for a cert when you need one though!
    And he'll never refuse animal leave!

• Advertisement

Just because the bar/nightclub is full and you are too drunk to get in anywhere does not give you the right to piss in the street!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭sunnyjim

Just because the bar/nightclub is full and you are too drunk to get in anywhere does not give you the right to piss in the street!

Err, imagine its 4am in the city centre. Food places are closed, and the pubs and clubs have been kicking people out since 2am, not letting anyone back in. The queue for the taxis is manic, as the nightlinks are finished.

Are you still gonna go for someone who's takin a wee down an alley? Or would you prefer they piss themselves?

Yours sincerely,

Sunnyjim.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭djtechnics1210

It's be funnier to see them piss themselves!!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭TheNog

yeah like follow them around to make sure they dont pee anywhere.

sadistic but funnily so

Or whats really funny is when you stop someone and tell them to stop pi*sing (which is impossible to do as we all know) they end pi*sing all over themselves.
    Very sadistic but funny

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭TheNog

you are sick LOL

Right.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭eroo

sunnyjim wrote: »
    Right.

Simple, go home before 4am!!!! Clubs kick out at 2 or half 2.. just get some grub and go off home.

Exactly eroo, if the tight feckers bought some food they could use the toilet in there.
    Diageo obviously haven't gotten their point across to peter p*ssy down laneways

Exactly eroo, if the tight feckers bought some food they could use the toilet in there.
    Diageo obviously haven't gotten their point across to peter p*ssy down laneways

Or reuse yer empty bottles! :pac:

• Advertisement

eroo wrote: »
    Simple, go home before 4am!!!! Clubs kick out at 2 or half 2.. just get some grub and go off home.

Maybe re-read my post. After they have closed, and we're all hanging around waiting for taxis.

Diageo have been trying to get through to me for a while. They even employed me to try sort me out - they've just made me worse!

sunnyjim wrote: »
    Maybe re-read my post. After they have closed, and we're all hanging around waiting for taxis.

Hold it in! t's not easy, but it is doable;)

:rolleyes:

75 minutes waiting for a taxi is not do-able. Well, maybe if you're a bloke it is. For a girl, it's pretty much not gonna happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭daithip

When you gotta go you gotta go, we've all been there, but just do it out of the view of the rest of the population ;)

daithip wrote: »
    When you gotta go you gotta go, we've all been there, but just do it out of the view of the rest of the population ;)
    And let someone else clean it the next morning.
    Nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭maglite

http://www.aiglacockgullam.com/projects/city_westminster.shtml

Have to say thou, its a fact of life when you need to go you need to go. If your out of eyeshot it should be ok.

maglite wrote: »
    If your out of eyeshot it should be ok.
    But not if that means on someones car/doorway/garden/wall, does it?

Maybe i'm just old fashined. I hate when people spit too.

A couple more things I wish people did.

READ THE INSTRUCTIONS ON THE PASSPORT FORM!

If you have difficulty, fine i'll help as best I can. The amount of people who come in with a blank form, 3 screaming kids and no i.d.:mad: It's all there on the form if you take 5 minutes.

*Note to other members when helping people with forms. As a young guard, I met an elderly man once who forgot his glasses so I filled in his form for him. When I asked him to sign it he did so with some effort. He sheepishly admitted he couldn't write and the "forgot my glasses" line had served him well over the years. Just bear it in mind before you send someone packing for not having a form filled in. Also remember, they might just have forgotten their glasses!*

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭daithip

deadwood wrote: »
    And let someone else clean it the next morning.
    Nice.

I'm not condoning it, dead and I've prosecuted lads for it, but it's a damn sight better seeing a guy peeing down an alley (not that I'd be looking, before the smart comments :rolleyes:) than in someone's doorway, that's my point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭ScubaDave

Another thing - since i seen it today.....

Putting your phone on loud speaker and holding it 8 inchs from your face does NOT mean your allowed to use it while driving!

Advertisement