Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Online gambling accounts affecting your chances of a mortgage

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭Flipper

cooker3 wrote: »
    Would banks care about Neteller and or Moneybookers transfers?
    was thinking this too...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭Mr Minraise

This is nonsense.
    You have done nothing illegal or wrong in any way. The cretins in the banks are simply trying to justify their reluctance to do business of any kind.
    The irony of these fools declining solid business because the borrower has used some of their own money to gamble within their limits is really quite funny. I guess they would have preferred if you were taking bets that were leveraging at 25:1 mortgages for properties built for 90K and sold for 450K to Hairdressers in Arizona who earn 25K, or maybe maybe betting on Irish property at 50 Million an acre when everyone knew they were drawing dead, i.e. buying Bank shares.

Over the next few weeks there will be of some of money the Bank of England are printing flowing back into the system and if you are still interested in buying you will find that it pays to shop around.

It doesnt matter if its legal or not.

Everyone here seems to bitching about how the banks have ruined everything by their over-zealous lending policies in the past. Now that they're trying to implement more stringent ones people are still moaning.

The fact of the matter is that the banks now have very little money to be lending out so they can pick and choose their customers. If your a bank manager and 2 different people are applying for a mortgage with the same credit rating, assets etc., your going to give the money to the person who doesn't have a history of gambling.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭Hoki

just make sure you click the " for non gaming use " button ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 507 ✭✭✭bobbbb

Jayminator wrote: »
    OMG please read my OP. I got a call today from the bank to say it was within their policy to decline applications with signs of usage of gaming sites.

I seriously lol @ banks falling over you to give you a mortgage. You must be a first time buyer. And if not a 1st time buyer then please list for me these banks so I can approach them

I read your post.
    You said a all from the bank, not banks.
    There are lots of banks.
    I dont need to list them.
    You can approach any of the banks.

You'd think nobody was getting mortgages the way you are going on. Believe it or not they are. Perhaps you're a bad credit risk for other reasons too. Maybe you gamble a large percentage of your income. Maybe you dont save enough. Do a fresh credit check on yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,720 ✭✭✭El Stuntman

bobbbb wrote: »
    I read your post.
    There are lots of banks.

You'd think nobody was getting mortgages the way you are going on. Believe it or not they are. Perhaps you're a bad credit risk for other reasons too. Maybe you gamble a large percentage of your income. Maybe you dont save enough. Do a fresh credit check on yourself.

ugh, tool :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,198 ✭✭✭POKERKING

I had similar situation to OP.

Im first time buyer, went into bank(one of the biggest around) and the mortgage advisor was sure id get the loan no problem, credit rating bla bla all the usual criteria and more met but after i filled the forms and all i told him exactly what i worked at(i work for an online poker company and are prob one of the only irish companies around expanding during the recession, my jobs 100% secure) and mentioned it involved gambling, the next day i get a call saying the underwriter had refused the loan, no specifics, i was a dead cert the previous day...i also play but only have deposits on my cc which they didnt request but im sure they checked, i cashout via cheque but the lodgements dont appear as a gambling company(??) afaik....anyway went to a broker didnt mention anything about gambling, as its not obv from the company name and approved and loan offer in writing, closing in <3 weeks.....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭Ollieboy

POKERKING wrote: »
    I had similar situation to OP.

Im first time buyer, went into bank(one of the biggest around) and the mortgage advisor was sure id get the loan no problem, credit rating bla bla all the usual criteria and more met but after i filled the forms and all i told him exactly what i worked at(i work for an online poker company and are prob one of the only irish companies around expanding during the recession, my jobs 100% secure) and mentioned it involved gambling, the next day i get a call saying the underwriter had refused the loan, no specifics, i was a dead cert the previous day...i also play but only have deposits on my cc which they didnt request but im sure they checked, i cashout via cheque but the lodgements dont appear as a gambling company(??) afaik....anyway went to a broker didnt mention anything about gambling, as its not obv from the company name and approved and loan offer in writing, closing in <3 weeks.....

To be honest your example is different, you were turn down because of the company/industry you work in. I would have got legal advise in this instant and tried to take a civil action for discrimiation, or report it to the financial regulartor etc.

If anyone is applying for a mortage or loan, get your accounts clean for at least a year, remove your blog etc, try to get your name remove from any site that might mention you in the same paragraph as poker/online and tell them nothing about it. Tell them your a builder, or even better a future politican, that should get you the loan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Jayminator

Ollieboy wrote: »
    Hi Jay,

I have to disagree with your view on buying the property, I don't think we've hit the bottom and this still worries the bank, I reckon theres another 30/40% to fall from current prices. Your point about people taken property of the market is true, but as these house hit negative equity, people will panic and sell. As for PR by the banks, there in the high court everyday taking homes away from families and nobody cares. Most families are just walking away from the houses and handing back the keys. This problem is going to get a lot worse and I reckon you'll see low house prices for 5 to 10 years.

Hi Ollie,
    I ll refer you to a post of mine on the opening page. I said the vendor of this property has already suffered a 50% total drop in value having accepted our offer. I refer in that post to this purchase being for a family home and not an investment.

As people approach negative equity they simply wont sell or cant sell.

You are wrong with the main street banks being in the high court repossessing family homes every day. The sub prime lenders e.g ''Start Mortgage company'' are in the high court repossessing homes and even at that it aint every day. You can get the figures from Start Mortgages somewhere and they aint as high as you may think.

People may be handing back keys but this also makes no sense as the government as part of the bail out of AIB & BOIre have an embargo on house repossessions for 12 months.

The fact of the matter is that the banks now have very little money to be lending out so they can pick and choose their customers. If your a bank manager and 2 different people are applying for a mortgage with the same credit rating, assets etc., your going to give the money to the person who doesn't have a history of gambling.

OK OK I'm gonna reveal more personal info here on my loan app. Not only was it a 70% LTV mortgage I also mentioned it was supported with added security. This added security was not property but it left the bank with a 0% risk on the deal so you work it out.

So if you were the bank manager you refer to above and client A offered you the above security but had 5 gambling transactions on a current account over 8 months who ya gonna lend the money to?

bobbbb wrote: »
    I read your post.
    There are lots of banks.

Ok this is a level I think but anyway.. Here goes.

I am not a bad credit risk. I posted some additional personal info regarding my loan a couple of posts up.

Nobody is getting mortgages. Sorry I ll clarify that. 1st time buyers are the preferred customers for reasons already posted. 1st time buyers are getting loans as a condition by the government of the bail out of AIB & BOIre.

My 5 gambling transactions in total amounted to 1% of my income / turnover. If I said these 5 transactions totalled €xK then you could go do the maths but I would nt be as vulgar as that.

I save plenty as its a very good time to be saving. Did you know you can get over 7% interest on savings accounts with some of the banks. You can get over 5% APR on lump sum deposits with some of the banks.

I recently did do an ICB credit check on myself. (it costs €6 and can be done online). They rated me 526 out of a possible 550.

Anything else you would like to know?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭thedini

Ok this is a level I think but anyway.. Here goes.

I am not a bad credit risk. I posted some additional personal info regarding my loan a couple of posts up.

Nobody is getting mortgages. Sorry I ll clarify that. 1st time buyers are the preferred customers for reasons already posted. 1st time buyers are getting loans as a condition by the government of the bail out of AIB & BOIre.

My 5 gambling transactions in total amounted to 1% of my income / turnover. If I said these 5 transactions totalled €xK then you could go do the maths but I would nt be as vulgar as that.

I save plenty as its a very good time to be saving. Did you know you can get over 7% interest on savings accounts with some of the banks. You can get over 5% APR on lump sum deposits with some of the banks.

I recently did do an ICB credit check on myself. (it costs €6 and can be done online). They rated me 526 out of a possible 550.

Anything else you would like to know?

Why didn't you get 550?:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 647 ✭✭✭fintan

Just do all your on-line deposits via paypal?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,434 ✭✭✭cardshark202

RoundTower wrote: »
    so you're really just mad that the banks are lying to you about their reasons? Really? You've dealt with banks for the last 20+ years and you are only now angry that they are lying scum?

Well given this is the first very bad experience he's had with a bank, its understandable really.

thedini wrote: »

LoL dini, I never got the 550 cos they re bad at maths too them banks. And look @ bobb thanking ya cos he does nt even get your joke..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭JP Poker

thedini wrote: »

I worked in banks in both Ireland and UK for just under 4 years, I was in a supervisory position and reviewed loans that some of our bank managers gave out, bit of an internal auditor.

Perfect scores are very hard to get.

Many factors are taking into consideration, not just your ability to and willingness to repay:

Age: Banks generally assume a persons working life to end at 65.

Work: Bar Tenders score low as they are more likely to be involved in car accident when leaving work late with drunk drivers out on the road.

Etc...

Have to say I really feel for Jay, I think someone has suggested this already but your best option may be going to a mortgage broker.

Gl

• Registered Users Posts: 45,335 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Id say there might be a fair few mortgage refusals following Cheltenham this week !:D

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭thedini

JP Poker wrote: »
    I worked in banks in both Ireland and UK for just under 4 years, I was in a supervisory position and reviewed loans that some of our bank managers gave out, bit of an internal auditor.

Perfect scores are very hard to get.

Many factors are taking into consideration, not just your ability to and willingness to repay:

Age: Banks generally assume a persons working life to end at 65.

Work: Bar Tenders score low as they are more likely to be involved in car accident when leaving work late with drunk drivers out on the road.

Etc...

Have to say I really feel for Jay, I think someone has suggested this already but your best option may be going to a mortgage broker.

Gl

Geez, I was joking.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,091 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

OK OK I'm gonna reveal more personal info here on my loan app. Not only was it a 70% LTV mortgage I also mentioned it was supported with added security. This added security was not property but it left the bank with a 0% risk on the deal so you work it out.
    /simpsons

Bank employee takes a look at Jayminators "mortgage application"

Bank employee: These are just pictures of actors from famous poker movies! This is disgraceful, Jayminator!

Jayminator: All right! So I snapped! You don't understand the crushing loneliness and greed.

Bank Employee #2: Don't worry, Jayminator. We'll get you all the help you need.

Jayminator:[gradually becoming unhinged] No! Don't put me away! [holds up two handfuls of diamonds] I'll give you diamonds. Everybody wants diamonds! Diamonds will make everything all better! Diamonds! Diamonds!

[cut to the interior of a plane. The Bank employees, except for Bank Employee #3, are carrying an impressive quantity of diamonds]

Bank Employee: What a nice guy.

Bank Employee #2: Very nice.

Bank Employee: Hey, Bank Employee #3, check it out. [holds two diamonds up to his eyes. The camera cuts to his point of view,
    which looks like an image from an insects' compound eye] Diamond-Vision!

Bank Employee #3: Buzz off!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,162 ✭✭✭Dearg81

Moneybookers deposits(via laser) shows up on my current a/c as "POS-BB-MONE-EUR" so i doubt they would care or notice that unless you are depositing every day or 2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭mark renton

Online gambling accounts affecting your chances of a mortgage

Wow just heard this on radio this mornin, good to see boards is well ahead as usual...

It mentioned as little a 30 euro per week will have an affect. Wonder does it take into account how much has been deposited as a result of gambling

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,705 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

yea some chap was on spin there at around 1ish talkin about it - and the ways around it - like have a bank account just for gambling...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,402 ✭✭✭Goodluck2me

Ollieboy wrote: »
    To be honest your example is different, you were turn down because of the company/industry you work in. I would have got legal advise in this instant and tried to take a civil action for discrimiation, or report it to the financial regulartor etc.
    Seriously?
    Ace2007 wrote: »
    yea some chap was on spin there at around 1ish talkin about it - and the ways around it - like have a bank account just for gambling...

Better to withdraw from the ATM's than use the Laser in the fitz/SE ect.

Better to withdraw from the ATM's than use the Laser in the fitz/SE ect.

but for online i mean...
    and also i have a limit on the amount i can take from atm - no where need to limit for a lazer in fitz/se

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Einstein

NickyOD wrote: »
    AIB refused me a pretty a small loan last year after I had a perfect credit rating and had never missed a payment on 3 previous loans all of which I paid off early. I had a current account with them for 10 years and a credit card for 2 years.

Switched to Halifax and they had no problem giving me the same small loan despite evidence of online gaming on a relatively a new account. I don't know though if their policy is different for larger loans or mortgages.
    I asked for a €1200 overdraft last christmas with PTSB. They refused. I have a mortgage, pension and savings account with them.

I then got a call from the same bank 2 weeks later offering me a pre-approved 15k car loan.

Muppets tbh.

Last friday night I goes to the ATM and enters in to withdraw 200 Euro.... Suddenly a message appears "Insufficient Funds" ...hhmmm I thought - is that me or them??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,162 ✭✭✭Dearg81

john47832 wrote: »
    Last friday night I goes to the ATM and enters in to withdraw 200 Euro.... Suddenly a message appears "Insufficient Funds" ...hhmmm I thought - is that me or them??

Now now John, don't be stealing your jokes from the radio :P

I'm a giver not a taker :) Share the happiness

Just to let people know we got this sorted and approved last wednesday afternoon so me & missus Jay are very happy. Whats my plans now........

1) Get into the house before the summer

2) GET A 2ND CREDIT CARD FROM A DIFFERENT BANK FOR POKER PURPOSES ONLY.

The reality here folks is that they are simply using every excuse not to lend so be careful.

Jay

so ur marriage is safe jay... :P
    SE/fitz regulars will be happy to hear your getting a 2nd cc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭Ollieboy

Ace2007 wrote: »
    so ur marriage is safe jay... :P
    SE/fitz regulars will be happy to hear your getting a 2nd cc.

with a very big limit...lol

wp mate. gl with the deal

Advertisement