Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hysterical but appropriate reaction - Emergency Budget coming very soon

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭norwegianwood

gazzer wrote: »
    I wonder if Bertie is in hiding? That f*cker and his minister for finance have ruined this country.

He got out at the right time anyway,crafty little git....

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

galah wrote: »
    yes, it's pretty bad - but even with the lower wages and higher deductions, you do get a pretty good standard of living in Germany - for everyone, not just the richer people.

Cost of living is a lot cheaper, healthcare is superb, and even social benefits are great. And I won't even mention pretty much free childcare, cheap higher education, environmental awareness, good infrastructure, proper public transport - you get the picture.

Crap - why am I here again? Ah yes, because of that Irish guy I 'stole' from the pool of eligible Irish bachelors. I also took most of your sandwiches, but, I'd like to emphasise, NOT one your jobs. Just in case the 'foreigners go home' crowd reads this thread.
    You're on the dole?
    How ****ing dare you?

Rabble rabble rabble.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

jester77 wrote: »
    Ah, now I get you :D

True, but it hurts when you see the size of what is taken out of your wage each month, for the same salary in Ireland I would nearly have an extra €900 in my pocket every month. But I guess that is why Ireland is in the mess it is!

Yep, nobody was out protesting and ranting that they didn't want the tax cuts and spend it on Health instead.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

galah wrote: »
    yes, it's pretty bad - but even with the lower wages and higher deductions, you do get a pretty good standard of living in Germany - for everyone, not just the richer people.

Cost of living is a lot cheaper, healthcare is superb, and even social benefits are great. And I won't even mention pretty much free childcare, cheap higher education, environmental awareness, good infrastructure, proper public transport - you get the picture.

Crap - why am I here again? Ah yes, because of that Irish guy I 'stole' from the pool of eligible Irish bachelors. I also took most of your sandwiches, but, I'd like to emphasise, NOT one your jobs. Just in case the 'foreigners go home' crowd reads this thread.

Most things run very smooth and the standard of living is decent for the middle class upwards. I like the social welfare system, if you are made unemployed you get 66% of your last salary for 12 months, so it gives you a chance to get sorted unlike in Ireland where you could land in real trouble.

But there is no minimum wage, they can't afford to bring one in. There were surveys done and if they were to bring in a min wage of, I can't remember was it 6.50 or 7.50, then it would result in over 500,000 job losses. The least well off have it fairly bad. I had to laugh at a recent prime time program where they were interviewing people who lost their jobs. One guy was sitting there in his big house and the plasma TV in the background moaning that he didn't know what he was going to do. I've seen similar programmes here where a family would be living in a one bed apt. with just a mattress on the floor of the bedroom for everyone to sleep on. Too many Irish are disillusioned!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,289 ✭✭✭dresden8

Terry wrote: »
    Date/Time 	Action 	Moderator
    19:13, 3rd Mar 2009	Thread title (original 'Prepare for the pain - Emergency Budget coming very soon') changed	Terry

Seemed apt considering there has been no official word from the government about an emergency budget.
    I'll happily change it back and apologise if this happens.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2009/0304/economy.html

The Taoiseach has insisted the Government will take whatever measures are necessary to stabilise the public finances in a supplementary Budget to be introduced in the first week in April.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Quote:
    The Taoiseach has insisted the Government will take whatever measures are necessary to stabilise the public finances in a supplementary Budget to be introduced in the first week in April.

Problem is....Cowen and his minions are the ones who has been pussyfooting around for the last 8 months dithering while the crisis has gotten worse. They didn't make hard decisions in October and are simply back to square one now. Their figures are proving to be incredibly inaccurate and can anyone really trust a thing they're saying?

They're telling us nothing about what went on in Anglo...not releasing any info on a bank that we, the people, now own.

Are they hoping that people will conveniently forget before the local and European elections? Or do they think they can ride it out until then and we'll still vote for the local FF Gombeen councillor?

They're going to get slaughtered either way so maybe, just maybe, it is time for Fianna Fail the "Soldiers of Destiny" and the "Republican Party" to actually you know put the Republic first.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭old boy

Problem is....Cowen and his minions are the ones who has been pussyfooting around for the last 8 months dithering while the crisis has gotten worse.

They're going to get slaughtered either way so maybe, just maybe, it is time for Fianna Fail the "Soldiers of Destiny" and the "Republican Party" to actually you know put the Republic first.

having for a few lifetimes putting themselves and their cronies first they willnot change, the old saying about a lepord and its spots is true

• Registered Users Posts: 7,437 ✭✭✭tritium

Still no change in the thread title.......

I remeber a few years ago a survey showed that most Irish people would be unwilling to have a 1% tax hike in return for better health services. That really said everything to me about how the country was running. Another time a lady was whining to me about the bin tax, complaining her husband payed enough tax, and 'all those rich people' should be taxed to pay it. we have a shocking entitlement attitude in this country that says someone else should always pay for the things we get.

That said, do we really expect good financial management from a government that have consistently got their budget estimates wrong even in the good times? Seriously, when the Taoiseach of the day used to come out and tell us they'd underestimated tax take by a few billion, didn't anyone think that was a bad thing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

tritium wrote: »
    I remeber a few years ago a survey showed that most Irish people would be unwilling to have a 1% tax hike in return for better health services.

I've never heard of the survey but I don't think it's far to imply people are selfish for not agreeing to this. Yes to more taxes if you could guarantee better services but nobody can guarantee that.

Audit everything and get value for money before the health budget is ever increased again.
    Might take a year to review everything and then you can raise taxes if you want if it's needed.
    Possibly it won't be needed if they can strip waste out. Or maybe it'll be more then 1% that's needed. Either way a better decision would be made after the audit.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

dresden8 wrote: »

Javaboy sorted it. I wasn't arsed reading all this depressing crap.
    Alessandra wrote: »
    You said it.. That is why we need decisive leadership at this time. What better way to lead than by example. Give up their perks etc. Let's all pitch in together and lessen the blow.. They are not tackling the core issues but are scraping away at the periphery. It is very disconcerting that week on week the figures are worse than previously estimated. Makes me wonder is it a guesstimate. If they stopped rowing back on every decision and cut to the chase we might save a few billion in the meantime.
    There you go. Post of the week and it's overlooked becuase it's not all me me me.

Instead of whining like little bitches about the tenner a week rise in taxes, just listen to this dude.
    This is a nationwide problem. The world does not begin and end on your ****ing doorstep.
    Fúcking Cetilc tiger ****. Every thing is about you. It's all everyone else's fault but yours. You poor little things. Come here and let daddy give you a hug.

I've never seen anytihng like this in my life. Every ****ing thread is people bitching and moaning about who pays what and who earns what and all sorts of other petty little crap.
    Cop the **** on. Everyone is feeling the pinch here, you selfish bunch of... brats. That's what you are. You're all little brats who are crying because the world didn't work out like you thought it would.
    Have some balls and ****ing deal with it. We're all in this together and your whining isn't ****ing helping.

But Tubridy and Bono and taxes and Gerry Ryan and taxes and pay cuts.
    Fúck them. You are not them and you never will be. You are you and you have to deal with this recession like the rest of us. Go and play that three chord pussy guitar crap somewhere else.

But Lenihan and cowen and taxes and money and taxes.
    STFU you miserable little prick.
    You don't want them in power after the next election? Then go out and campaign for the ****ing opposition instead of coming here and depressing us all with talk of doom and gloom. Fúcking moany bastards. you've enough money to pay for internet. When you can't afford food and rent, then I'll listen, you jumped up little *****.

I think these pills are making me angry.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

There you go. Post of the week and it's overlooked becuase it's not all me me me.

Instead of whining like little bitches about the tenner a week rise in taxes, just listen to this dude.
    This is a nationwide problem. The world does not begin and end on your ****ing doorstep.
    Fúcking Cetilc tiger ****. Every thing is about you. It's all everyone else's fault but yours. You poor little things. Come here and let daddy give you a hug.

I've never seen anytihng like this in my life. Every ****ing thread is people bitching and moaning about who pays what and who earns what and all sorts of other petty little crap.
    Cop the **** on. Everyone is feeling the pinch here, you selfish bunch of... brats. That's what you are. You're all little brats who are crying because the world didn't work out like you thought it would.
    Have some balls and ****ing deal with it. We're all in this together and your whining isn't ****ing helping.

I think there pills are making me angry.

Spot on Terry, if I could give double thanks I would! :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,193 ✭✭✭Turd Ferguson

/Moves gun across the table and away from Terry

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

But Tubridy and Bono and taxes and Gerry Ryan and taxes and pay cuts.
    Fúck them. You are not them and you never will be. You are you and you have to deal with this recession like the rest of us. Go and play that three chord pussy guitar crap somewhere else.

But Lenihan and cowen and taxes and money and taxes.
    STFU you miserable little prick.
    You don't want them in power after the next election? Then go out and campaign for the ****ing opposition instead of coming here and depressing us all with talk of doom and gloom. Fúcking moany bastards. you've enough money to pay for internet. When you can't afford food and rent, then I'll listen, you jumped up little *****.

I think these pills are making me angry.

But, but, I'm not a selfish brat. I shouldn't have to pay.

Terry is my daddy?

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭road_2_damascus

I have my own very small business operation which has done little or nothing since last June, I also have a sideline which is very quiet at the moment. I have outstanding rent.. (small money) on the premises I just closed. I am not on the dole.. and I couldnt give a ****e :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭procure11

TO Baldbear

You said social welfare should be cut(I agree ) but saying things like people walking about town while Paddies are working is uncalled for,we disliked and still feel bitter about the way we were treated by the brits,you wont like it if you saw a similar post where somebody in the sates said we yankees are working while the paddies are getting drunk( or something similar).Remember what is good for the goose is good for the gander.We have a lot of illegal irish immigrants (undocumented we call it) in the US and they are not stifling them or treating them like dirt.Generation to come would remember us on how we treat our immigrants while we are demanding respite for ours.

Advertisement