Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hysterical but appropriate reaction - Emergency Budget coming very soon

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,513 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

Dam...

So as a public servant on top of my 40euro a week pension levy (for a pension i'll probably never get) im going to get an increase in income tax...

Is it worth being a CO in the civil Service?
    After the pesnion levy, wages of €370 pw, while somebody on the dole get €205 + rent allowence + a medical card. Hardly fair?

The dole needs to be cut, why did they get an €8 increase in January despite everyone else taking cuts and the cost of living dropping?

I think the dole will be hit alright. Probably take away more recent increases.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭pobber1

Darragh29 wrote: »

Ha brilliant, but 69cent is a bit steep!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

dsmythy wrote: »
    http://www.finance.gov.ie/viewdoc.asp?DocID=5699

They the numbers. Work out the percentages yourself though :p
    I don't see anything there about an emergency budget.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,875 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

I would just like to add that anyone that thinks that FF had any say in the way this country has gone is a moron. FG the power hungry shower of **** would have done a far worse job.

The recession in Ireland has been pushed upon us by our ties with much larger countries, as these larger countries tighten their belts they will be considering us less and less, and thats what will trully fcuk us over. €8100 helicopter flights for a 2 hour seminar is not helping, but its not the cause of the recession. Finger pointing by people who suddenly can't live without the luxuries that they foolishly accustomed themselves to during an overinflated bubble where suddenly people thought for a second that providing some basic services for people was suddenly warrant enough for some of the ludicrous charges that were banded about.

There are genuine people that did not do this during the boom and for them I genuinely feel sorry, but the rest, and including those who like to blame FF and whoever else they can ye can all just rot in the remnants of your jumpped up little lives.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭11811

Feck this I'm off to Canada, according to Biggins they have it sussed!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭pobber1

Terry wrote: »

It was just on the 6 o'clock news but the government are not calling it an emergency budget. But let's face it that's exactly what it is, well at least that's what George Leeeeeeeee said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭n0fX

Dam, well the dole needs to be cut first imo...

Why did they get an €8 increase in January despite everyone else taking cuts and the cost of living dropping?

After the pesnion levy, wages of €370 pw, while somebody on the dole get €205 + rent allowence + a medical card. Hardly fair?

One parent Family needs to be looked into as well....the amount of people scamming this is shocking.

Yeah attack the most vulnerable in society, people who have worked and paid taxes for years, people with young children and mortgages. Lets reduce their already pathetic €200/week !! (I'm not on SW by the way, I just think targeting unemployed/elderly/sick is not the way to go). I can assure you 99% of people on the dole would gladly trade places with a public service CO in a flash.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭Redpunto

na na ne na na ...................... i've got my fingers in my ears.................................i cant hear you.......................................

• Closed Accounts Posts: 406 ✭✭Disease Ridden

n0fX wrote: »
    Yeah attack the most vulnerable in society, people who have worked and paid taxes for years, people with young children and mortgages. Lets reduce their already pathetic €200/week !! (I'm not on SW by the way, I just think targeting unemployed/elderly/sick is not the way to go). I can assure you 99% of people on the dole would gladly trade places with a public service CO in a flash.

Nah I'd say its closer to around 80% in fairness!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,665 ✭✭✭gary the great

n0fX wrote: »

Ye but why an increase of €8 pw when everyone is taking a hit and the cost of living is dropping?

And believe me, theres a lot of people on jobseekers allowence that have never worked a day in their lives, ye its means tested but they still never contributed. People are disillusioned to whats going on with our social welfare system.

And 99% of people would not trade positions with a CO, way way way less....why work when you can get your rent paid for, a medical card and only come out with €165 less cash a week?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

I would just like to add that anyone that thinks that FF had any say in the way this country has gone is a moron. FG the power hungry shower of **** would have done a far worse job.

The recession in Ireland has been pushed upon us by our ties with much larger countries, as these larger countries tighten their belts they will be considering us less and less, and thats what will trully fcuk us over. €8100 helicopter flights for a 2 hour seminar is not helping, but its not the cause of the recession. Finger pointing by people who suddenly can't live without the luxuries that they foolishly accustomed themselves to during an overinflated bubble where suddenly people thought for a second that providing some basic services for people was suddenly warrant enough for some of the ludicrous charges that were banded about.

There are genuine people that did not do this during the boom and for them I genuinely feel sorry, but the rest, and including those who like to blame FF and whoever else they can ye can all just rot in the remnants of your jumpped up little lives.

eh your talking out of your arse and thats from someone who completely understands the affect the worldwide downturn is having on us.

who do you think are the people who created our close ties with the other big countries? id hazard a guess its probably the people who have been controlling our country

the goverment are not totally to blame and yes the reason their ineptitudes are coming to the fore is because of the global downturn, that doesnt change the fact the ineptitudes exist

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

dsmythy wrote: »
    Every country is frucked. But some are more frucked than others.
    which reminds me of this from Animal farm

'' all animals are equal , but some are more equal than others ''.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Standard rate up to 23%

Middle up to 43%

Upper.. whatever you are having yourself.

drink fags petherol to get a wahck

Childers allowances to be looked at later... property tax...

All incomes to come within the tax net....

Whew... going to be rough... fasten seat belts...

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

latchyco wrote: »

I dont remember that :confused:
    All I remember is "Ohhh ohhh oh god". Not a pleasant film really

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

latchyco wrote: »

And as they looked from Cowen & Harney to the pigs and back again, they found it harder to tell which was which.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

FF, the power hungry shower of **** couldn't have done any worse of a job.

Lol.....fixed that for you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭Caoimhín

Well i have my guns, tins of beans and a generator up here in the northern forests. And if i get lonely while chaos descends, well... theres always the dog....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭Highsider

IMO it's time to half the public sector pay (yes half) and cut the dole by a third at least. Also we need to close the doors to foreign nationals coming to work and live here (we are full up) and finallly all goverment ministers should have their pay reduced by two thirds. Yes there is other stuff we could do but if the country wants to stay afloat we must act yesterday. Drastic times call for drastic measures.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

pobber1 wrote: »
    Ha brilliant, but 69cent is a bit steep!

We've 2 bids lads, we're not there yet but we're getting there!!! :D:D:D

A lot done, more to do!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

I dont remember that :confused:
    All I remember is "Ohhh ohhh oh god". Not a pleasant film really
    I cant remember the film much myself tbh ,it's that quote from the book I remember most .
    javaboy wrote: »
    And as they looked from Cowen & Harney to the pigs and back again, they found it harder to tell which was which.
    Pigs with their snout in the bucket all look the same .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

http://cgi.ebay.ie/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...m=270352935855

I was just thinking, I hope Seanie Fitzpatrick doesn't have an EBay account or we really are f*cked!!! :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,546 ✭✭✭baldbear

The people who have never worked a day in there lives shouldn't get the dole they should get food vouchers etc. I mean the guys who walk around towns, standing at the corners like there fathers and all belonging to them get on my tits and then you have an ordinary Paddy working all his life and gets let go and what happens? he has to wait months to get what he's entitled to. Aggh :mad: Anyway i'm off to run around in the nip to let some steam off

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭Caoimhín

baldbear wrote: »
    Aggh :mad: Anyway i'm off to run around in the nip to let some steam off

Life is like a field of thistles, everywhere you go you meet a prick!

Thats my bit of wisdom for today, goodnight all.

Edit; im not calling you a prick baldbear, im sure your a very nice person. I am referring to the people you were referring to.... ahem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭ronbyrne2005

Check out this post on politics.ie .Is it any wonder the country is heading for bankrupcy.

on pat kenny this morning an actuary showed that even after the levy PS workers were only paying 10% of the real value of their pension fund on retirement. Gardai who started at age 20 on 33k and finished at 50 on 53k were getting a pension fund worth 1.2 million having paid in 120k! also an 80k tax free lump sum. MAdness. Not only are our PS workers getting much better pay AND conditions than private they are also getting million euro pension funds for peanuts. They are also miles ahead of real economies in europe like France etc

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

I think you need to take a long, hard look in the mirror before you start calling names or pointing fingers with regard to ignorance.

If you believe that Fianna Fail haven't compounded our current situation, then you're deluded.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Mena

Terry wrote: »

Link. Not an emergency budget though (yet).
    RTE wrote:
    New Govt cuts & taxes this month: Cowen

Tuesday, 3 March 2009 20:21
    The Taoiseach has told the Dáil that more Government spending cuts and/or higher taxes will be announced before the end of the month.

Brian Cowen said the measures would be announced to plug the growing gap in the public finances.

He said that by the end of March the Government will come up with whatever measures are necessary to keep the deficit on target, whether by spending cuts or raising taxes.

He said the Government would take whatever steps are needed to ensure that the framework set out will be adhered to.
    Brian Cowen was responding to Fine Gael leader Enda Kenny, who asked what decisions the Government had made in response to today's Exchequer figures.

Figures from the Department of Finance showed an Exchequer deficit of just over €2bn for the first two months of the year as tax revenues continued to fall.

Tax receipts for the first two months were €5.76bn, compared with €7.56bn in the same period last year, a fall of 24%.

VAT receipts were 17% lower at just under €2.25bn, while income tax was more than 7% down at just over €2bn.
    The Government said earlier this year that it expected tax receipts this year to fall by around 10% from 2008.

Mr Kenny said that what is needed is a Budget that is fair, that is comprehensive, and that covers all the sectors of the economy.
    According to the terms of an amendment to a motion to be proposed in the Dáil tonight, the Government made the decision to bring in new measures by the end of March at this morning's Cabinet meeting.
    Earlier, Green Party Senator Dan Boyle told the Seanad that if tax receipts deteriorate any further, the Government could introduce a new Budget and a new Finance Bill.

He said it was hoped the fall in November and December's Exchequer returns had been corrected but he said if it had not, the Government had the option of introducing new measures.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,289 ✭✭✭dresden8

It won't be a budget, it'll be "further adjustments"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 888 ✭✭✭shamblertine

I haven't read this thread but thought I'd chime in with my unwanted opinion anyway. The government should grow a pair and cut dole by half (people in the UK survive on something like £45 a week with no rent allowance) we should get real and have a more sensible dole amount. Public sector pay reduced by 20%, and medical cards should be taken off the pensioners again, but this time don't bottle it and cave in to their protests.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Dam, well the dole needs to be cut first imo...

Why did they get an €8 increase in January despite everyone else taking cuts and the cost of living dropping?

One parent Family needs to be looked into as well....the amount of people scamming this is shocking.
    Job in the private sector it is then.

I said this before the shít hit the fan and I'll sat it again now.
    There are an awful lot of people who will be eating their words as far as the dole is concerned before this recession is over.

If you think your job is safe, then think again. No job is 100% safe in the current climate.
    I'd think hard about throwing stones in glass houses. You may need that glass as a roof over your head before the end of the year.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 888 ✭✭✭shamblertine

dresden8 wrote: »
    It won't be a budget, it'll be "further adjustments"

yeah it'll be grand lads, its just a "temporary refund adjustment" :D

Advertisement