Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HSP season 5

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,720 ✭✭✭El Stuntman

zuutroy wrote: »
    I dunno, I think it would be an enjoyable experience to play with a mix of poker legends and amazing players and be on a TV poker show. Even if you were like -10ptbb/100 (unlikely) your expectation would be no worse than -$50k for the entire filming which is a pretty small drop in a $9m ocean.

from what I saw in EP1 of the current ESP:

Doyle: old nit, seems more interested in food these days :pac:

Elezra: on happy drugs, probably dangerous :eek:

Greenstein: nit, smartarse - there's only one of them allowed at the table when I'm playing :pac:

Benyamine: busto staked loser, speaks French (makes him a double loser imo)

Negreanu: another smartarse

Durr: space alien :rolleyes:

Ziggy: evil space alien ;)

Eastgate: seems like a tool, I don't like him anyway :pac:

why the hell would I want to play poker with that crowd when I can lie on a beach somewhere and drink pina coladas out of coconut shells?

the only one I'd enjoy playing with is Gabe Kaplan

• Registered Users Posts: 55,474 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Did Peter Eastgate get out of his tax committments to the Danish government? If he didn't he would have had to pay 40% on the first 4m, and 75% (!!) on anything over that. Thats over 70% of his winnings altogether. He could only keep just under $2.5m.

No idea if he got out of it though, I'm sure he has creative accountants.

Hey, if an Irishman wins this year, he can jumpstart the economy! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭DeadMoney

Eastgate was one of the biggest winners on Prima in the HSNL games before he won the WSOP, so I don't think he's anything near out of his depth at that table and even if he wasn't, there's very few people who if they won the ME would turn down a seat on HSP imo.

Didn't know this. Heard somewhere that he played mid stakes. My mistake. I think my jealousy of him just grew larger.

Are these vids up on youtube yet, or is it just the sample clip?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

yeah but if you played with them, then maybe you might have something to base those opinions on, over and above what you've seen of them on the telly. :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 754 ✭✭✭robinblinds

DeadMoney wrote: »
    They're on pokertube

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,720 ✭✭✭El Stuntman

yeah but if you played with them, then maybe you might have something to base those opinions on, over and above what you've seen of them on the telly. :p

why would I want to destroy my irrational prejudices formed on the basis of heavily edited TV footage?

I hate you

no wait...you're OK

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,938 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

If, and that is the biggest IF of all, I was the WSOP champion, I wouldn't want to be sitting down for 200k with players that 200k didn't mean anything to, I'd want to be sitting down with 20k playing people who want to play against the champion, try to bluff me off a pot or out play me.

I was very disappointed in the game, I liked this show in the past, but I think Durr is trying to hard to make himself into a poker celebrity

• Registered Users Posts: 7,754 ✭✭✭ianmc38

yeah Eastgate is defininitely not out of his depth. That's crazy talk. He's pretty big winner at HSNL on Stars and some other site, not sure which and I know he recently busted PeachyKeens stars roll...

I thought the show was ok. I love Eli Elezra. The guy is an absolute legend. The best part is Eli is like any regular fish you find in a $1/$2 game live. Everytime he limps a hand like 69s in EP, it makes me laugh hysterically.

I thought Eastgate played the A6 hand fine. Of course raising the turn he probably stacks Durr, but once it gets to the river, I dont think there's alot of value in raising. Eastgates image was pretty snug and if he suddenly raises that river, I dont think Durr would have put him on a bluff or a missed draw.

They should get Doyle off the show imo. Like watching a home game at the local hospice.

There are so many other games going on within the game that we see.

Loads of props and other variations of hands being played by other players.

Elezra, Brunson and Greenstein are famous for this. In fact the whole game is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

from what I saw in EP1 of the current ESP:

Doyle: old nit, seems more interested in food these days :pac:

Elezra: on happy drugs, probably dangerous :eek:

Greenstein: nit, smartarse - there's only one of them allowed at the table when I'm playing :pac:

Benyamine: busto staked loser, speaks French (makes him a double loser imo)

Negreanu: another smartarse

Durr: space alien :rolleyes:

Ziggy: evil space alien ;)

Eastgate: seems like a tool, I don't like him anyway :pac:

why the hell would I want to play poker with that crowd when I can lie on a beach somewhere and drink pina coladas out of coconut shells?

the only one I'd enjoy playing with is Gabe Kaplan

Lol nh

Clareman wrote: »
    I was very disappointed in the game, I liked this show in the past, but I think Durr is trying to hard to make himself into a poker celebrity

In fairness I'd say there are probably more people who actually have an interest in poker that don't know who Eric Seidel or Alan Cunningham is than don't know who Durrr is...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭BigCityBanker

DeadMoney wrote: »

he was deffo a common sight at 50/100 before he made his way to vegas this year.

Also - Eastgate isnt a big personality, he is not out looking to have his ego massaged like so many others would, he is a down to earth 20 something yr old guy who has made it big style. The stock of both Durr and Negranu went down a long way in my estimations after there carry on in the immediate aftermath of the A6 hand.

I dont think he looks all that different on HSP than he does any other time you see him, I was at EPT copenhagen a few weeks back and he was hanging around chilling out, making time for anybody that wanted to talk to him or congratulate him - if you didnt know what he looked like you would never know it was Peter Eastgate, reigning WSOP champ. Meanwhile goons upstairs in the cash games winning DKK20k pots were going around like they owned the city of Copenhagen.

I think the poker playing community as a whole are very lucky to have him as the current champ, a) he is european b) he is a decent individual with a refined personality c) he was a legitimately established high stakes poker pro BEFORE he won the main event. He is the all round champion, far more desireable that unknowns like Yang/Gold etc and also far more desireable champ that a cock like Hellmuth. So what he might not have extracted maximum value from a strong hand - we are all guilty of it at different points - I hate the way ppl are using this hand in general as way of pointing out any of his weaknesses.

He has thus far and I expect will continue to wear the title of champion well - I couldnt be happier for him or to have him as the reigning champ.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 panelb/sprayer

but people the best all together is all in

he was deffo a common sight at 50/100 before he made his way to vegas this year.

Also - Eastgate isnt a big personality, he is not out looking to have his ego massaged like so many others would, he is a down to earth 20 something yr old guy who has made it big style. The stock of both Durr and Negranu went down a long way in my estimations after there carry on in the immediate aftermath of the A6 hand.

I dont think he looks all that different on HSP than he does any other time you see him, I was at EPT copenhagen a few weeks back and he was hanging around chilling out, making time for anybody that wanted to talk to him or congratulate him - if you didnt know what he looked like you would never know it was Peter Eastgate, reigning WSOP champ. Meanwhile goons upstairs in the cash games winning DKK20k pots were going around like they owned the city of Copenhagen.

I think the poker playing community as a whole are very lucky to have him as the current champ, a) he is european b) he is a decent individual with a refined personality c) he was a legitimately established high stakes poker pro BEFORE he won the main event. He is the all round champion, far more desireable that unknowns like Yang/Gold etc and also far more desireable champ that a cock like Hellmuth. So what he might not have extracted maximum value from a strong hand - we are all guilty of it at different points - I hate the way ppl are using this hand in general as way of pointing out any of his weaknesses.

He has thus far and I expect will continue to wear the title of champion well - I couldnt be happier for him or to have him as the reigning champ.

As long as Durrr never wins it - his aura of smug is Clooney-esque

but people the best all together is all in

What does that mean in English?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭fatguy

Whenever I see Durrr I'm overwhelmed by the urge to steal his lunch money. Please tell me I'm not the only one.

Durrr is socially awkward full stop! I don't think he is a prick or anything but the way he tries to convey himself as a nice guy amongst other players just doesn't come out well on TV. His darth vadar style voice doesn't do him any favours either. If you look at the likes of Ivey or Antonious in comparison, they come across as 'super cool' individuals, and thus make great poker celebs. The same applies to most poker celebs as they have at least some feature that makes for good TV.
    Durrr does not have near the same presence or personality so I don't think he will become the next BIG poker celeb. It's pretty much Hollywood at the end of the day. I've no doubt he'll continue to crush for some time to come though and we'll be seeing a lot more from him.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

Good to see the Gabe and AJ are still on form with the commentary, Gabe's "Two and a half men" crack when Doyle was looking at durrr and Benyamine was funny.
    Also lolled when Eli brought Doyle a fruit pie and Doyle gives him a "Good boy."

Meanwhile goons upstairs in the cash games winning DKK20k pots were going around like they owned the city of Copenhagen.

Ah you were drunk, in fairness.

• Advertisement

lafortezza wrote: »
    Good to see the Gabe and AJ are still on form with the commentary, Gabe's "Two and a half men" crack when Doyle was looking at durrr and Benyamine was funny.
    Also lolled when Eli brought Doyle a fruit pie and Doyle gives him a "Good boy."

:D

Thats was good.

I think the point of the first show is to set the scene and ease the viewer in, as opposed to having a constant barrage of hand after hand after hand.

At the end of the series I don't think there will be many complaints of it lacking in action.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 356 ✭✭Mullicker

Not that impressed by daniel negranau. I can see him having another bad season, dont particularly like him anyways. Greenstein seems the most solid of the old guys. The internet guys are boring except for durrr(really loose), and Eastgates frown is amusing.

I hope Gabe returns to the table!

What's Ziigmund's story? I was under the impression he was ****e?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

Eastgate played the A6 hand fine imo.

I think Daniel butchered the J2 hand(wtf @ pf) pretty badly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭tylerdurden94

Was just wondering, how many people are there that play the stakes they play be it 300/600 or 500/1000 whatever the limit is. It doesnt seem like you would have that many "fish" or whatever you wanna call it playing up at these levels so are they just passing money back and forth?

Do they ever drop down and play smaller stakes just for an extra few $$$$$ like 10/20 25/50?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭Mr.Plough

Didn't think it was a bad show. Thought durrrr came across alot better than his previous tv appearances. Doyle came across as more of a cnut.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭ITT-Pat

Ah you were drunk, in fairness.
    zing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Slash/ED

Was just wondering, how many people are there that play the stakes they play be it 300/600 or 500/1000 whatever the limit is. It doesnt seem like you would have that many "fish" or whatever you wanna call it playing up at these levels so are they just passing money back and forth?

Do they ever drop down and play smaller stakes just for an extra few $$$$$ like 10/20 25/50?

eli-elezra.jpg

It's not like there's nobody who they'd have a big edge over who plays those games.

Also I think Eastgate not raising the A6 was completely fine, and agree above that Negreanu butchered the J2 hand not just pre, winning the absolute minimum postflop

Also agree that Doyle is starting to come across quite moany on TV lately, perhaps annoyed at the skill level of the young kids? And Durrr is a class player, but an absolute tool, it'd have to be bad for poker if he became the big face as he has the talent to do. Most big online players come across as socially retarded nerds who were probably bullied alot in school, guess it's not just coincidence...They should all be like Phil Galfond and the world would be a better place.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,646 ✭✭✭cooker3

I much rather someone who sucks wins the WSOP main event. Anything that deceives the masses makes me happy. God bless Chris Moneymaker

Also, I always under the impression ziggy was terrible at least by HSNL standards

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭Rakeline

I think having Doyle and Eli and the likes is getting old there are alot of top online players that would have a much better game. I think Durr showed he is one of the very best around and Ziggy just didnt play feed him vodka i say heres the kind of stuff he does online.

Advertisement