If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boardies deal - Wireless Music Streamer - 80% off original RRP!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭selfbuilder1

Got mine today in the post. A great bargain and great service. Will be buying my next AV stuff from Richersounds. Still trying to get the internet radio working. If successful will post a reply here. Seems to be a common problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

I can't get the Internet Radio working either. My network settings are correct, but it just doesn't register.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭MAJJ

I gave it about an hour and no joy either. I added the MAC address in my router, it sees my wireless network but won't connect. I have checked the WEP key again and again, it's an old router.

Using Vista on the PC and have enabled sharing in the MC Library, even turned off the firewall.

Any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭podge3

MAJJ wrote: »
    I gave it about an hour and no joy either. I added the MAC address in my router, it sees my wireless network but won't connect. I have checked the WEP key again and again, it's an old router.

Using Vista on the PC and have enabled sharing in the MC Library, even turned off the firewall.

Any ideas?
    Does your Streamer show an IP address? Can you ping it from your PC?

I think if we're all having issues connecting to Internet Radio, it's probably not us :)

• Advertisement

Just to clarify, the issue I'm having is that the unit is connected to the Wireless in my house, but I can't load Internet Radio as the unit won't register with Philips.

How many of us are having that issue?

ned78 wrote: »
    I think if we're all having issues connecting to Internet Radio, it's probably not us :)
    Yep, seems to be a worldwide problem - something to do with the registration server, apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,140 ✭✭✭✭Esel

John, I got a call from Ash earlier this week to say he was waiting on stock and would call me back. Haven't heard from him so far. I'm pretty sure I was in the first wave, so would hope to be getting one at the original price....sending you a copy of e-mail.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 14,345 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

the internet radio seems to be an ongoing problem was trawling the web and found these

http://www.streamiumcafe.com/vBulletin/showthread.php?t=20729&highlight=sla5520+internet+radio+registration

http://www.streamiumcafe.com/vBulletin/search.php?searchid=34404

maybe john could find us a contact in phillips to sort this out ! cant see why you need to register dont need to on my soundbridge but the mp3 streaming is fine
    i'm glad i bought the soundbridge it was a toss up between that and the phillips the phillips is ok for 25 quid but i wouldnt pay any more for one

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,113 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Yup, same problems here. Can't Update or use Internet Radio without registration. And registration fails consistantly occasionally with a "Server connection down" message.

I did register the unit on the Streamium site, but that seems to make no difference.

Seems to be a few on-going issues with Philips and their somewhat poor servers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭MAJJ

podge3 wrote: »
    Does your Streamer show an IP address? Can you ping it from your PC?

Hi Podge, thanks for the interest. No IP address shown, on power up it displays network problem (check config). It can see my SSID but won't/cant connect. Signal reads excellent.

I checked the WEP key on the router and even set it up wireless on the PC again with the key, to confirm it.

The PC can connect to the router, is the anything else I need to check on the PC?

Thanks,
    majj

Anyone else have luck getting the unit to play Internet Radio over the weekend? I'm still stumped.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭basskebab

Anyone else have luck getting the unit to play Internet Radio over the weekend? I'm still stumped.

Picked up the streamium over the weekend. Great little thing, easy to set up and stream music from my PC, but I can't get it to register for internet radio either.

As ednwireland said above, there's a thread on the Phillips support site with a lot of people suffering from the same prob.

Looks like the problem is that the Phillips server isn't processing registrations for the streamer. If it successfully registers you should get some extra options in the Streamium Management section of your club phillips account which allows you to set up the radio stations. This isn't happening at the mo

Reading through the various forum posts, it seems that the Philips server has been down since late Jan/early Feb.

• Company Representative Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: John

Guys,

Apologies for the lack of response - I was away in Wicklow getting drowned and blown to bits over the weekend so I did not have any access to Boards.

Ash from The Philips Shop has been in touch with Philips this morning to try to get a technical help bod to look at the internet radio issue with the SLA5520 - you can give him a call on 01.474.0788 and he will post here when he gets a response.

In the event that there is an issue with internet radio on the 5520 we have no problem issuing a full refund and we will keep you posted - apologies that I cannot help you personally - I have not had a chance to play with one of these yet myself!

Thanks again,

John Mc

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭ipnface

Yeah the Phillips media server provided is not good and the internet radio seems to have been discontinued for this model.

However there is a better freeware solution on the internet that will get everything working for you. It's called tversity. It will monitor your files as well as take streaming audio links from the internet, basically any radio station you can play in your media player will take in tversity and it will even transcode the station if its not playable by the phillips player. I got this wireless streamer the other day too and have it setup with Tversity and it's all good.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,345 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

thanks ipnface tried tversity and got a couple of streams working just need to work out how to do bbc radio now. not a prob having more software running as I have a windows home server and all its doing at the moment is streaming audio

ipnface wrote: »
    internet radio seems to have been discontinued for this model

John, can you or Ash confirm this please?

byte

Well, personally, I don't want or need to use TVersity, so would prefer if the radio could stream by itself.

I was kinda hoping that somebody somewhere made a modified firmware to make it work with Reciva instead, but no luck yet! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭quenching

Yep, all I want it for is radio streaming and I can't get that to work either. Oh, and the supplied Philips software is Windows only, so those of us with Macs will need to use other software for music file streaming, its easily found and most is free. BUT, internet radio was the only attraction for me and ifs that's no longer supported then I'll have to return it I'm afraid. No big deal at all and still a bargain if all you want is a wireless streamer for files.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭basskebab

thanks ipnface, downloaded tversity and was able to use it to get radio stations to the streamer

• Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

byte wrote: »
    Well, personally, I don't want or need to use TVersity, so would prefer if the radio could stream by itself.

Well - you would have needed the Philips software running on a PC anyway, and the reviews I read reckoned it was slow and a processor hog, so TVersity wouldn't be too much of a step back from the standard specced set-up.

alastair wrote: »
    Well - you would have needed the Philips software running on a PC anyway, and the reviews I read reckoned it was slow and a processor hog, so TVersity wouldn't be too much of a step back from the standard specced set-up.

Not true. The SLA5520 should be able to stream Internet Radio on it's own, without having a PC running. That was the point which made a few of us here purchase it. Having to have TVersity running on a PC (And having to have a PC powered on if you want to listen to 'net radio) makes the whole setup a bit of a calamity.

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭moralproduction

are these still available if so ill take one

• Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

Not true. The SLA5520 should be able to stream Internet Radio on it's own, without having a PC running.

Apologies - my mistake.

byte

Not true. The SLA5520 should be able to stream Internet Radio on it's own, without having a PC running. That was the point which made a few of us here purchase it. Having to have TVersity running on a PC (And having to have a PC powered on if you want to listen to 'net radio) makes the whole setup a bit of a calamity.
    Exactly! I can stream from PC and NAS fine without using the software provided by Philips. It can happily stream from any UPnP drive.

Just a bit peeved about the radio part, which would be handy since FM where I am is poor.

• Company Representative Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: John

Guys,

apologies again regarding the radio streaming via the 5520 - I know Ash has been hassling like crazy to get meaningful tech support.

Again - we have no problem refunding any of these (we would do than anyway under our 14 day policy) and we are happy to refund delivery charges as well.

Also sorry that I'm not able to respond during the day - I'm away being brainwashed into new TV & Audio models (yummy) - back on Thursday when normal service will resume!

I'll try to answer all PM's and posts tonight and get all orders & issues sorted but if there are any queries don't hesitate to call:

The Philips Shop: 01.474 0788 (Philips Stuff only)
    Richer Sounds: 01 671 9666 (everything!)
    My office ( The long suffering Ursula!) : 01 843 9231 (Anything!)

Thanks as ever,

John Mc

PS we are just starting to prepare for our twice anually open box sale - which will happen exclusively on boards before the end of March - details to follow!

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

byte

johnmc wrote: »
    PS we are just starting to prepare for our twice anually open box sale - which will happen exclusively on boards before the end of March - details to follow!

:eek: I look forward to that! Hopefully, there'll be a decent centre speaker on offer, as I'm in need of one atm (my crappy JBL has finally died).

WRT the Streamium, I won't be bothering to send it back, as it's still a cheap streamer, just a shame about the radio, as it'd have been nice.

apologies again regarding the radio streaming via the 5520 - I know Ash has been hassling like crazy to get meaningful tech support.

Again - we have no problem refunding any of these (we would do than anyway under our 14 day policy) and we are happy to refund delivery charges as well.

Hey John,

Do you think Ash will have any success in speaking to Philips about getting Radio streaming working? I'd prefer to hang onto mine if there's a chance.

• Advertisement

..we have no problem refunding any of these (we would do than anyway under our 14 day policy) and we are happy to refund delivery charges as well.
    I'm happy to keep mine even if the radio doesn't work. Hopefully Philips will get this sorted.

Even if they don't, its still a great bargain as a streamer.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.