If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boardies deal - Wireless Music Streamer - 80% off original RRP!

Options
15678911»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Techless

Thanks Ash

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭moralproduction

thanks ash

received my stuff today,the streamer is a great little bit of kit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Ashley

Hi Techless

I have a SLA5520 reserved for you.
    Just mention your Boards name when you call in

Cheers
    Ash

Hi All

I looks like my supply of SLA5520 has now dried up:(

All stock in the shop has someones name on it.

If anyone drops out I'll post up but otherwise they ain't available no more.

A BIG THANKS to all who made this a very successful promotion...I hope you are all enjoying your medis streamers.

Cheers all
    Ash

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭joeswatch

Thanks Ash,
    Received the goods today. Unfortunately there was no "installation CD" with the SLA5520, though everything else was there. I looked everywhere in the box to no avail. Had a look online and I've downloaded "Media Manager Software, Version: PMM 3.3.12 English (UK)".
    Is this the same thing? Can you help in any way?
    thanks,
    joeswatch

• Advertisement

Hi Joeswatch

Sorry about that!

Click on this link bellow it will take you to what you need to down load.
    See page 9 of the instructio book and it will guide you.

tmplt=Cps&slg=ENG&sct=SU00312_SU&cat=MULTIMEDIA_SYSTEMS_CA&session=20090423133438_83.70.176.90&grp=HOME_ENTERTAINMENT_GR&ctn=SLA5520/05&mid=Link_Software&hlt=Link_Software

Once thats done you should be ready to roll

cheers
    Ash

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭brian ireland

joeswatch wrote: »
    Thanks Ash,
    Received the goods today. Unfortunately there was no "installation CD" with the SLA5520, though everything else was there. I looked everywhere in the box to no avail. Had a look online and I've downloaded "Media Manager Software, Version: PMM 3.3.12 English (UK)".
    thanks,
    joeswatch

You don't need the software. If you want i can tell you what to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,582 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

joeswatch wrote: »
    Thanks Ash,
    thanks,
    joeswatch

Just finished installing mine, the CD is still in the box, and i did not downloaded the MMS software either, standard window stuff will find it...

You don't need the software. If you want i can tell you what to do.

Thanks brian ireland. Would welcome a brief instruction as I don't want to mess things up. Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭brian ireland

kdobey wrote: »
    Hi.

I picked up my SLA today - infact when I went in I was over come and took away two of them. I just finished setting the second one up and they're both streaming internet radio just fine (listening to BBC radio5[1]). HOWEVER - it should be noted the FIRMWARE update[2] was neccessary BUT there lots of good reasons to update the firmware - uPnP/DLNA support is better[3] too.

Here are some details for anyone interested.....

Updating the firmware is a two (or three) step process you first need to register your device. That means going to internet radio on the menu entering your email address when prompted (useful tip: Track back key is delete backspace) then philips will sent you an email[4]. (i got the email in about 10 minutes). Go on the site via the link complete the web form - including setting a password then log off).

Now go back into internet radio on the device (a reboot might be a good idea - not sure). At this point your asked for your email address I spent ages at this point thinking it hadn't worked and going back to the philips web site - however - you need to enter the same email address but then instead - this time - you'll get prompted for your password you put on the website. Press ok and you get put back to the home menu. The third time you go in "internet radio" you see a list of internet radio providers - on the old firmware the only one is vTuner. At this point you'll find that none of the stations work (I tried a number). Now press settings and scroll down to the last item (or scroll up one - it wraps around). to "update firmware". Click this sit back and wait a few minutes - after a few minutes it comes back and you need to do the whole wifi set up again and go do the whole enter my email address thing again (just once with your password this time).

Since some one mentioned it, I did take a look to see if liverpool city radio was listed and if it would play but it's not BUT ALL is not lost - you can go to the Philips site and set up extra stations for your own SLA - just pop in the url etc. also mark certain stations favorites etc. With most of these players - due to rights issues - may BBC stations will not play to non-UK ip addresses - if you can hear it via your PC (winamp or WMP) then it will probaly work with this device. (unless it's using real (spit) audio codec).

I've not even looked at the cd that came with it - but from googleing i think it's best avoided. If you got vista or WMP 11 (or windows 7) they all have build it uPnP (DLNA) servers built in. Other wise you could try google Meida Server gmediaserver (never tried it myself). OR if (like me) you have a NAS on your network it might have server software.

In summary and by way of comparison, I also have a freecom musicpal which has many more little features then this and also has a (not great) speaker. The Musicpal has some nice stuff (weather rss feeds etc) and is a much more open platform but the DLNA stuff is buggy.
    The SLA on the other hand has better DLNA support a crappy philips website forced upon you but much better vTuner interface eg. when you go to the RTE station you don't just listen to what's on now - it also lists certain programs from the last few days so i can listen to last thursdays morning ireland or Marian Fu-loopy etc. - a pretty nice addition really. I also thing the philips is a bit slower interface (but still fine).

Sorry for the large brain dump - but I thougth it might help some of you guys out. Ash - I doubt these units are defective as Internet radio devices - but who can say for sure.

In all I'm very happy with purchase - Thanks guys. It's a fantastic bargain when you compare to similar devices.

Now I should go read the little manual I guess!!!
    Rgds
    Kevin

[1] Most of the principle BBC stations will not work on this or any (probably) internet radio device (using a UK proxy may by pass this)

[2] Both mine came with version software version 3.0.23.5223/Bootloader ver 3/ H/w version 157.1. After the update they are s/w ver 3.0.28.5944 (dated 29.09.2006)

[3] uPnP (Universal PLug and Play) means it will behave as a DLNA Media Renderer Device. It did this OK-ish on the old firmware but better on the new firmware. [Where better means a number of things but in summary old firmware windows 7 "play to" feature works with local content only. On new firmware windows 7 "play to" still works AND my nokia phone works as a DLNA control point (for local and remote content).

[4] While I didn't try it - if you not getting the email it may because of some spam blocker. Try going to the philips web site http://www.support.philips.com/support/html/index_gb_en.html (register mu product) and setting up and account manually when using the email address and password in step 2 of the process as described. I used the same username and password for the second DLA however firmware updated didn't work until after i changed the sla's device name and hard rebooted it (hold the power button for a few seconds - or yank the plug).
    ©

This post from Kdobey Should get you sorted. Sorry to steel your instructions Kdobey hope you don,t own the copyright, I couldn't improve on your instructions so i stole them :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭ikomj

Missed the boat on this offer - but if there is any cancellation, no show, return.........

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭PowerHouseDan

Got this Yesterday Very Happy with it, Setup Radio in About 2 min, Very Friendly Staff when i rang to order :)

©

This post from Kdobey Should get you sorted. Sorry to steel your instructions Kdobey hope you don,t own the copyright, I couldn't improve on your instructions so i stole them :D

Thanks Brian Ireland.

When I turned the unit on initially, got a brief flash of blue screen (not of inspiration) and the unit went dead. Then I got a flash of inspiration, I reset the unit and hey presto everything worked. I registered my e-mail address and now I'm up and running. Great little unit.
    Thanks for your help (and for Kdobeys).
    joeswatch

AshMiller wrote: »
    Hi Joeswatch

Sorry about that!

Click on this link bellow it will take you to what you need to down load.
    See page 9 of the instructio book and it will guide you.

tmplt=Cps&slg=ENG&sct=SU00312_SU&cat=MULTIMEDIA_SYSTEMS_CA&session=20090423133438_83.70.176.90&grp=HOME_ENTERTAINMENT_GR&ctn=SLA5520/05&mid=Link_Software&hlt=Link_Software

Once thats done you should be ready to roll

cheers
    Ash

Thanks again for your quick response Ash. Link didn't work but was able to download manual from the site. The experts posting here are absolutely correct ... no need for the cd. If anyone wants to they can download the Philips media manager from the website.
    Device works a treat! Thanks again for all your help and have a good break!
    Joeswatch

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Eventually got time to set mine up today with firmware and such. Web radio is fully functional now. Decent sound (although a line-out would have been preferable), quick response, found all my music folders without needing any extra s/w. All in all a great buy...all I need now is a can of black spray paint to match it in on the rack...
    Many thanks to the RS guys both on here and in Belfast.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.