Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Americans

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,096 ✭✭✭Lirange

But Cisco Kid was a friend of mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

In fairness to the guy. I think he meant that you guys see it as more of a novelty than we do. He means, where we would drink six or eight cans, you guys would drink three or four and boast.

But that's understandable because of the drinking laws over there. Also I'm sure that many Americans over 21 could drink me under the table.

Trust me I understand.

I have been coming to Ireland since my father brought me back to meet the family in 1982. I worked as a barman for eight years in three different Irish owned bars/pubs/restaurants back in the 90s and have lived here for a while.

I have a greater understanding of alcohol and culture than most people lol

You have to look at the fact that these kids are getting alcohol for the first time (legally) due to the restrictions in place in the States. I have seen plenty of kids over here that when they turn legal are quite similar.

Like I said. It's very easy to paint everyone withthe same brush. It's just not fair nor is it valid.

Lirange wrote: »
    But Cisco Kid was a friend of mine.

I think that makes you Poncho.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭IzzyWizzy

My Brazilian friends call them US Americans, and their country USA. "Yanks" might work on the east coast, but I doubt those in the Deep South, Mid-West, Inter-Mountain North West, or West would identify with the label.

There is a word which is basically 'United Statesish' (estadounidense in Spanish) in a lot of the Romance languages. We don't have a word like that in English - 'American' is the correct and accepted term to describe a citizen of the USA. If the Brazilians don't like that, tough sh*t, to be honest. I taught classes full of them in my last job and I got really tired of being 'corrected'. In English, citizens of the United States are Americans, full stop (or period? :rolleyes:)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,226 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

IzzyWizzy wrote: »
    'American' is the correct and accepted term to describe a citizen of the USA. If the Brazilians don't like that, tough sh*t, to be honest. I taught classes full of them in my last job and I got really tired of being 'corrected'.
    Your cultural sensitively for "them" will endear you to many of "them?" But why should you care, because you are an authority of the English language and know in your own mind that you are absolutely "correct?"
    Like I said. It's very easy to paint everyone withthe same brush. It's just not fair nor is it valid.
    Spot on!

• Advertisement

Spot on!

Thanks.....my mother was a Presidential Delegate for Bill Clinton.

Some of us turned out alright. lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭Pal

I don't know which countries Minsk, Oslo, or Budapest are in. Am I thicker that an American:

That's a leading question.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭steo87

NADA wrote: »
    Now this thread isn't racists but

You just started your thread with a variation of "..I'm not a racist but..." so therefore you are, in fact, a racist

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

End troll.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement