Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Americans

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭Caoimhín

chimpanzee wrote: »
    same culture and language .Also you will see that alot of word are in the process of getting up to date decriptions . Also from what you can deduce UN desription of racial discrimination, It shouldn't matter.

Well your assumption that the 300 million + population of the United States share the same language and culture is an inherently racist statement in itself.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,335 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

enda1 wrote: »
    So what adjective would you use? United States of Americans? Bit of a mouthful no?
    I'm not so sure that all the so called "Americans" in the USA know what to call themselves... I've been across the pond in the States for about 3 years now, and one thing that I've noticed is how many in this nation are seeking an old culture to identify with. For example, I have friends that have told me that they are "Irish Americans" or "French Americans" or "Japanese Americans" or "Chinese Americans" (even though born in the USA) and refer to the origin of their surnames.

My Brazilian friends call them US Americans, and their country USA. "Yanks" might work on the east coast, but I doubt those in the Deep South, Mid-West, Inter-Mountain North West, or West would identify with the label.

Even the original peoples of this land show some confusion, calling themselves "Native Americans" in one region or "Indians" in another. One friend I have says he is not "American," but rather Lakota Sioux of the Rosebud. He said the "American" label came with the invaders that stole the land.

Whenever someone begins to label others by nationality, gender, race, ethnicity (or whatever grouping name), they being to steal their individual uniqueness from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭Lirange

enda1 wrote: »
    So what adjective would you use? United States of Americans? Bit of a mouthful no?
    Gringos?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Which "Americans" are you referring to? North Americans (3 countries), Central Americans (19 countries, plus 4 French, 3 Netherlands, 5 UK, and 3 USA territories), or South Americans (12 countries, plus 1 UK and 1 French territory)? :rolleyes:

I do believe that the North American Canadians have, in the past, refered to the North American UnitedStatesians as "The Damned Shatner-Stealers" :)

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

I'm not so sure that all the so called "Americans" in the USA know what to call themselves... I've been across the pond in the States for about 3 years now, and one thing that I've noticed is how many in this nation are seeking an old culture to identify with. For example, I have friends that have told me that they are "Irish Americans" or "French Americans" or "Japanese Americans" or "Chinese Americans" (even though born in the USA) and refer to the origin of their surnames.

This is due to a few factors, most notably political correctness which is another topic in itself.

In regards to be called 'Irish American', well.....you can blame the Irish who emigrated to Ireland for that one, and thi is how it played out.

I was a barman for many years in the States, and I used to deal with the Irish quite a bit. A friend of mine from Galway asked me 'why do all of these Yanks think they are Irish?'. I told him that I would explain to him one day.

A few years later we were at the christening of his son. I wlaked up to him and said 'show me my new countryman !!'

He proceded to scream 'that child is Irish and don't you forget it'.

I have done this at at least two dozen christenings of children who were born to Irish parents. These kids grow up and do the exact same thing to their kids, so the cycle continues on and on.

Another factor was that in the 'big cities' each new ethnic group lived in ghettos (yes it wasn't just a place for black people) made up of their own nationality. Therefore everyone in these neighborhoods were Irish, Itlalian, German etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭RATM

Seeing as all Americans are stupid it only follows that all Irish are drunks.

Lets have some drunken' Paddies to even this thread out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 257 ✭✭alexandros

Classy thread!!

What exactly is an “American”???
    I have lived in the states for about 15 years now, in 3 different states and 5 major cities.
    Everywhere I go and everyone I meet is from somewhere else.
    The Unites States was founded by… and is composed of… immigrants.

I have never met an “American” that had anything bad to say about the Irish or Ireland.
    (In fact.. the only European country that you will hear people talking **** about is France) (However I have found that to be true in Europe as well)
    However I will admit that most Americans would not be able to find Ireland on a map if there life depended on it.
    Could you find Bolivia?? Do you think the people there give a **** if you can?

In any major city in the US; you can’t walk down the street more than a couple of blocks in any direction without running into an Irish pub (or 5 in some cities).
    And if you hop in for a pint you might find one or two authentic Irish patrons, but the rest will be a mixture of people from all over the world who will brag about being as little as 10% Irish (whatever that means).

Don’t get me wrong.. there are A LOT of things wrong with the US and it’s people.
    You however …didn’t cover any of them.

But don’t worry about it too much.. the last president here did a good enough job of showing the world how insanely retarded the people here can be. They don’t need you.

I am so sick of the mentality towards life (in general) that (some) people seem to have in this country; that I would normally enjoy the opportunity to bi*ch about all the sh*t I have dealt with.
    Especially considering that I am ecstatic to be moving back to Europe this December.

But your little introductory rant just made me realize that you are right there on the same level with the people I was thinking about.
    If you want to see ignorance just scroll up and read the ignorant **** you wrote and later decided it was a worthy enough topic to start a thread on.
    Yay you!!
    How old are you ... 12?
    Go get laid.. it should help with all the angst.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭SoWatchaWant

As an American who is living on the northside of Dublin, let me just say that the conslusions that I could jump to would rival many of the things said about Americans.

Most of the people that I have found that want to call everyone else 'stupid' or 'thick' generally come across as very similar to the people that they are putting down. Almost hiding their own insecurites by pointing out others and cowering behind an anonymous screename.

If you look at alot of the videos that you will find on YouTube etc, can be made in any country to try and make someone look stupid. It is quite easy to do.

After eight years of Bush in office, it is quite easy to try and paint everyone with the same brush, but at the end of the day, as I have stated about where I currently live, isn't fair to everyone.

As for the comment about Americans having a facination with alcohol......WOW ....did I really read that on an Irish based website ?? LMAO

In fairness to the guy. I think he meant that you guys see it as more of a novelty than we do. He means, where we would drink six or eight cans, you guys would drink three or four and boast.

But that's understandable because of the drinking laws over there. Also I'm sure that many Americans over 21 could drink me under the table.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

What America has become - the 10 steps to fascism

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,335 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Lirange wrote: »
    Gringos?
    Ha! Well, you might find some consensus among those peoples who live in Mexico in terms of calling their northern neighbors this, but it's not exactly a positive label that most US Americans would identify with?;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭Lirange

But Cisco Kid was a friend of mine.

In fairness to the guy. I think he meant that you guys see it as more of a novelty than we do. He means, where we would drink six or eight cans, you guys would drink three or four and boast.

But that's understandable because of the drinking laws over there. Also I'm sure that many Americans over 21 could drink me under the table.

Trust me I understand.

I have been coming to Ireland since my father brought me back to meet the family in 1982. I worked as a barman for eight years in three different Irish owned bars/pubs/restaurants back in the 90s and have lived here for a while.

I have a greater understanding of alcohol and culture than most people lol

You have to look at the fact that these kids are getting alcohol for the first time (legally) due to the restrictions in place in the States. I have seen plenty of kids over here that when they turn legal are quite similar.

Like I said. It's very easy to paint everyone withthe same brush. It's just not fair nor is it valid.

Lirange wrote: »
    But Cisco Kid was a friend of mine.

I think that makes you Poncho.

• My Brazilian friends call them US Americans, and their country USA. "Yanks" might work on the east coast, but I doubt those in the Deep South, Mid-West, Inter-Mountain North West, or West would identify with the label.

There is a word which is basically 'United Statesish' (estadounidense in Spanish) in a lot of the Romance languages. We don't have a word like that in English - 'American' is the correct and accepted term to describe a citizen of the USA. If the Brazilians don't like that, tough sh*t, to be honest. I taught classes full of them in my last job and I got really tired of being 'corrected'. In English, citizens of the United States are Americans, full stop (or period? :rolleyes:)

[quote=[Deleted User];59193479]'American' is the correct and accepted term to describe a citizen of the USA. If the Brazilians don't like that, tough sh*t, to be honest. I taught classes full of them in my last job and I got really tired of being 'corrected'. [/QUOTE] Your cultural sensitively for "them" will endear you to many of "them?" But why should you care, because you are an authority of the English language and know in your own mind that you are absolutely "correct?"
    Like I said. It's very easy to paint everyone withthe same brush. It's just not fair nor is it valid.
    Spot on!
    Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Advertisement

Spot on!

Thanks.....my mother was a Presidential Delegate for Bill Clinton.

Some of us turned out alright. lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭Pal

I don't know which countries Minsk, Oslo, or Budapest are in. Am I thicker that an American:

That's a leading question.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭steo87

NADA wrote: »
    Now this thread isn't racists but

You just started your thread with a variation of "..I'm not a racist but..." so therefore you are, in fact, a racist

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

End troll.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement