Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Americans

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭Caoimhín

chimpanzee wrote: »
    Yes it is . :pac:

Are Americans a race now??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 726 ✭✭✭Mr. Frost

corny wrote: »
    You're not alone. No one likes the yanks. They're complete retards. My pet hate is how they're trying to remake the English language with their spelling variations! What really pisses me off the most is Irish people copying their lingo. Has anyone noticed a Southside Dublin accent is slowly becoming an American accent? :mad:

I don't like it when complete imbeciles speak for me. Just saying is all. :D

I happened to like Americans. I travelled across the country last year and they're nothing but friendly. And genuinely mean 'how are you' when they ask.

And it seems you hate Americans because even more stupid Irish people copy their lingo?! You'll go far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 chimpanzee

Caoimhín wrote: »
    Are Americans a race now??
    The UN doesn't decribe racism , but they do describe racial discrimination.
    the term "racial discrimination" shall mean any distinction, exclusion, restriction or preference based on race, colour, descent, or national or ethnic origin
    So from that I think it can be deduced that it is racism.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭0ubliette

NADA wrote: »
    Hi everybody. Now this thread isn't racists but it's amazing how much Americans and their culture wrecks my head. I know a few and they wreck my head with their ignorance. For starters their attitude to alcohol pisses me off to no end. I know 19 and 20 year old Americas here in Germany and they have an obsession with Alcohol. They are not allowed drink at home and here they think they are the bees knees because they have freedom. They do be saying "Omg Taylor had 2 beers last night and we had to carry him home and Corey wasn't much better after a shot of vodka". And they seem to think that because I've an Irish accent and spell **** differently that I am in some way inferior the ****ing idiots. What really pisses me off about them is their general ignorance. They all say they love the "european experience". This phrase makes me choke. I mean they are in ****ing Germany. Europe is not a country. Say Germany not ****ing Europe. Europe could also refer to France or Belarus. And in Europe there is much more cultural variation than Europe. It pisses me off that they do not realise this. Also it pisses me off that the averasge American 20 year old male is as mature as my 12 year old female cousin. They bitch about everything and are like big ****ing kids even when it comes to stuff such as who's turn it is to "ride" in the front seat. I'm not even going to mention the guy I met in New York who thought London was in Ireland. I really think they are so thick that we should bring all their women over here and make them suck every cock in Ireland! Anyway not to hijack my own thread I wanna hear some funny stories about Americans you boardsies may have encountered at some point in your life. Just a small video to cheer me up I should share with you....

Yeah! Theres no dumb, ignorant, violent drunken morons in Ireland, thats for damn sure. And there no elitist ass****s looking down on other nationalities either, no sir, not one.

In case you dont get it cause you dont seem the sharpest knife in the drawer yourself, this is sarcasm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Hi everybody. Now this thread isn't racists but it's amazing how much Americans and their culture wrecks my head. I know a few and they wreck my head with their ignorance. For starters their attitude to alcohol pisses me off to no end. I know 19 and 20 year old Americas here in Germany and they have an obsession with Alcohol. They are not allowed drink at home and here they think they are the bees knees because they have freedom. They do be saying "Omg Taylor had 2 beers last night and we had to carry him home and Corey wasn't much better after a shot of vodka". And they seem to think that because I've an Irish accent and spell **** differently that I am in some way inferior the ****ing idiots. What really pisses me off about them is their general ignorance. They all say they love the "european experience". This phrase makes me choke. I mean they are in ****ing Germany. Europe is not a country. Say Germany not ****ing Europe. Europe could also refer to France or Belarus. And in Europe there is much more cultural variation than Europe. It pisses me off that they do not realise this. Also it pisses me off that the averasge American 20 year old male is as mature as my 12 year old female cousin. They bitch about everything and are like big ****ing kids even when it comes to stuff such as who's turn it is to "ride" in the front seat. I'm not even going to mention the guy I met in New York who thought London was in Ireland. I really think they are so thick that we should bring all their women over here and make them suck every cock in Ireland! Anyway not to hijack my own thread I wanna hear some funny stories about Americans you boardsies may have encountered at some point in your life. Just a small video to cheer me up I should share with you....

For shame NADA, for shame. You must hate yourself.

• Advertisement

The UN doesn't decribe racism , but they do describe racial discrimination.

So from that I think it can be deduced that it is racism.

Ahh, well maybe i am a little old fashioned in using the Oxford English dictionary to define words rather than the UN website.

Mossy Monk wrote: »
    For shame NADA, for shame. You must hate yourself.

And the fact he go his username (probably) from an AMERICAN alt. rock band. :D

Ahh, well maybe i am a little old fashioned in using the Oxford English dictionary to define words rather than the UN website.

Careful now. You'll be a accused of trying to be English saying things like that. I said elevator once. :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,231 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

enda1 wrote: »
    What should people call them so? Its shorthand which everyone understands, what's the big deal?
    I have friends in Sao Paulo and Porto Alegre (Brasil) that you would upset by reserving the title "Americans" for only their dominant USA North American "bully" neighbor. If you travel in South America, as I have, I would recommend that you keep that subtle aspect of cultural sensitivity in mind.
    corny wrote: »
    My pet hate is how they're trying to remake the English language with their spelling variations!
    We "Irish" have got the "English" language right! Don't you just love the benefits derived from hundreds of years of domination? Give the Queen a big sloppy kiss the next time you see her.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,074 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

I don't recall meeting you. So that at least ruins your exhaustive survey. And it's not racist, just idiotic to think you can accurately label a group of over 300 million people by three people you met on holidays. (Besides - I don't believe that Americans can count as a race)

I think I'll make a sweeping generalizationsay that I hate everyone who generalizes. Mmmm... The ironing is delicous....

• Advertisement

Ahh, well maybe i am a little old fashioned in using the to define words rather than the UN website.

http://www.askoxford.com/concise_oed/racism?view=uk
    racism

noun 1 the belief that there are characteristics, abilities, or qualities specific to each race. 2 discrimination against or antagonism towards other races.

http://www.askoxford.com/concise_oed/race_2?view=uk
    race2

noun 1 each of the major divisions of humankind, having distinct physical characteristics. 2 racial origin or distinction: rights based on race. 3 a group of people sharing the same culture, language, etc.; an ethnic group. 4 a group of people or things with a common feature. 5 Biology a distinct population within a species; a subspecies.

Thats the old Oxford English dictionary for you , so you must be able to see it now.

This is going off topic but I hope I helped mate.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Donald-Duck

You could walk around a lot of parts of Ireland and get replies as stupid as those in the video from a huge amount of people.

This is going off topic but I hope I helped mate.:)

Nothing in that suggests it could be applied to Americans. Mate.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

I have friends in Sao Paulo and Porto Alegre (Brasil) that you would upset by reserving the title "Americans" for only their dominant USA North American "bully" neighbor. If you travel in South America, as I have, I would recommend that you keep that subtle aspect of cultural sensitivity in mind.

We Irish have got the "English" language right! Don't you just love the benefits derived from hundreds of years of domination? Give the Queen a big sloppy kiss the next time you see her.

So what adjective would you use? United States of Americans? Bit of a mouthful no?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭SoWatchaWant

I'm not even going to mention the guy I met in New York who thought London was in Ireland.

!!!!!ZOMG Someone from America thought London was in Ireland, what a dick!!!!!!!!!
    Why should the average American know that?? The world doesn't revolve around Ireland, you know. In fact, it's much closer to revolving around America.

I don't know which countries Minsk, Oslo, or Budapest are in. I keep forgetting whether Hong Kong is in China or Japan. These are bigger and more important countries than us. Am I thicker that an American:confused:

In case you haven't known, alot of us tar everyone from the African continent as "Nigerians" and people from Belarus, Slovenia or even Russia as "Polish". Oh, and anyone from any part of Asia is "Chinese".

Why not bitch about that?:confused:

So what adjective would you use? United States of Americans? Bit of a mouthful no?

North Americans? :P

OMG Someone from America thought Dublin was in the UK.

Why should the average American know that?? The world doesn't revolve around Ireland, you know. In fact, it's much closer to revolving around America.

I don't know which countries Minsk, Oslo, or Budapest are in. I keep forgetting whether Hong Kong is in China or Japan. These are bigger and more important countries than us. Am I thicker that an American:confused:

In case you haven't known, alot of us tar everyone from the African continent as "Nigerians" and people from Belarus, Slovenia or even Russia as "Polish". Oh, and anyone from any part of Asia is "Chinese".

Why not bitch about that?:confused:

NADA probably knows the major cities in every state. I'd be hard pressed to point out even a few states on a map of America, and the ones I do know are only because of tv/films

Nothing in that suggests it could be applied to Americans. Mate.
    3 a group of people sharing the same culture, language,
    same culture and language .Also you will see that alot of word are in the process of getting up to date decriptions . Also from what you can deduce UN desription of racial discrimination, It shouldn't matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

As an American who is living on the northside of Dublin, let me just say that the conslusions that I could jump to would rival many of the things said about Americans.

Most of the people that I have found that want to call everyone else 'stupid' or 'thick' generally come across as very similar to the people that they are putting down. Almost hiding their own insecurites by pointing out others and cowering behind an anonymous screename.

If you look at alot of the videos that you will find on YouTube etc, can be made in any country to try and make someone look stupid. It is quite easy to do.

After eight years of Bush in office, it is quite easy to try and paint everyone with the same brush, but at the end of the day, as I have stated about where I currently live, isn't fair to everyone.

As for the comment about Americans having a facination with alcohol......WOW ....did I really read that on an Irish based website ?? LMAO

• Registered Users Posts: 5,180 ✭✭✭twinytwo

Oh man i totally agree... Their main problem is that they think that they are better than everyone else.... But for my 2 cents... i was in france a few years ago and i was in the shop and there was an American couple in the queue infront of me and one turns to me and... " i cant understand what they are saying... cant they just learn american"... Im like :confused: wtf is american??.. oh you mean english:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

same culture and language .Also you will see that alot of word are in the process of getting up to date decriptions . Also from what you can deduce UN desription of racial discrimination, It shouldn't matter.

Well your assumption that the 300 million + population of the United States share the same language and culture is an inherently racist statement in itself.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,231 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

I'm not so sure that all the so called "Americans" in the USA know what to call themselves... I've been across the pond in the States for about 3 years now, and one thing that I've noticed is how many in this nation are seeking an old culture to identify with. For example, I have friends that have told me that they are "Irish Americans" or "French Americans" or "Japanese Americans" or "Chinese Americans" (even though born in the USA) and refer to the origin of their surnames.

My Brazilian friends call them US Americans, and their country USA. "Yanks" might work on the east coast, but I doubt those in the Deep South, Mid-West, Inter-Mountain North West, or West would identify with the label.

Even the original peoples of this land show some confusion, calling themselves "Native Americans" in one region or "Indians" in another. One friend I have says he is not "American," but rather Lakota Sioux of the Rosebud. He said the "American" label came with the invaders that stole the land.

Whenever someone begins to label others by nationality, gender, race, ethnicity (or whatever grouping name), they being to steal their individual uniqueness from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,096 ✭✭✭Lirange

Gringos?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Which "Americans" are you referring to? North Americans (3 countries), Central Americans (19 countries, plus 4 French, 3 Netherlands, 5 UK, and 3 USA territories), or South Americans (12 countries, plus 1 UK and 1 French territory)? :rolleyes:

I do believe that the North American Canadians have, in the past, refered to the North American UnitedStatesians as "The Damned Shatner-Stealers" :)

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

I'm not so sure that all the so called "Americans" in the USA know what to call themselves... I've been across the pond in the States for about 3 years now, and one thing that I've noticed is how many in this nation are seeking an old culture to identify with. For example, I have friends that have told me that they are "Irish Americans" or "French Americans" or "Japanese Americans" or "Chinese Americans" (even though born in the USA) and refer to the origin of their surnames.

This is due to a few factors, most notably political correctness which is another topic in itself.

In regards to be called 'Irish American', well.....you can blame the Irish who emigrated to Ireland for that one, and thi is how it played out.

I was a barman for many years in the States, and I used to deal with the Irish quite a bit. A friend of mine from Galway asked me 'why do all of these Yanks think they are Irish?'. I told him that I would explain to him one day.

A few years later we were at the christening of his son. I wlaked up to him and said 'show me my new countryman !!'

He proceded to scream 'that child is Irish and don't you forget it'.

I have done this at at least two dozen christenings of children who were born to Irish parents. These kids grow up and do the exact same thing to their kids, so the cycle continues on and on.

Another factor was that in the 'big cities' each new ethnic group lived in ghettos (yes it wasn't just a place for black people) made up of their own nationality. Therefore everyone in these neighborhoods were Irish, Itlalian, German etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭RATM

Seeing as all Americans are stupid it only follows that all Irish are drunks.

Lets have some drunken' Paddies to even this thread out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 257 ✭✭alexandros

Classy thread!!

What exactly is an “American”???
    I have lived in the states for about 15 years now, in 3 different states and 5 major cities.
    Everywhere I go and everyone I meet is from somewhere else.
    The Unites States was founded by… and is composed of… immigrants.

I have never met an “American” that had anything bad to say about the Irish or Ireland.
    (In fact.. the only European country that you will hear people talking **** about is France) (However I have found that to be true in Europe as well)
    However I will admit that most Americans would not be able to find Ireland on a map if there life depended on it.
    Could you find Bolivia?? Do you think the people there give a **** if you can?

In any major city in the US; you can’t walk down the street more than a couple of blocks in any direction without running into an Irish pub (or 5 in some cities).
    And if you hop in for a pint you might find one or two authentic Irish patrons, but the rest will be a mixture of people from all over the world who will brag about being as little as 10% Irish (whatever that means).

Don’t get me wrong.. there are A LOT of things wrong with the US and it’s people.
    You however …didn’t cover any of them.

But don’t worry about it too much.. the last president here did a good enough job of showing the world how insanely retarded the people here can be. They don’t need you.

I am so sick of the mentality towards life (in general) that (some) people seem to have in this country; that I would normally enjoy the opportunity to bi*ch about all the sh*t I have dealt with.
    Especially considering that I am ecstatic to be moving back to Europe this December.

But your little introductory rant just made me realize that you are right there on the same level with the people I was thinking about.
    If you want to see ignorance just scroll up and read the ignorant **** you wrote and later decided it was a worthy enough topic to start a thread on.
    Yay you!!
    How old are you ... 12?
    Go get laid.. it should help with all the angst.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭SoWatchaWant

As an American who is living on the northside of Dublin, let me just say that the conslusions that I could jump to would rival many of the things said about Americans.

Most of the people that I have found that want to call everyone else 'stupid' or 'thick' generally come across as very similar to the people that they are putting down. Almost hiding their own insecurites by pointing out others and cowering behind an anonymous screename.

If you look at alot of the videos that you will find on YouTube etc, can be made in any country to try and make someone look stupid. It is quite easy to do.

After eight years of Bush in office, it is quite easy to try and paint everyone with the same brush, but at the end of the day, as I have stated about where I currently live, isn't fair to everyone.

As for the comment about Americans having a facination with alcohol......WOW ....did I really read that on an Irish based website ?? LMAO

In fairness to the guy. I think he meant that you guys see it as more of a novelty than we do. He means, where we would drink six or eight cans, you guys would drink three or four and boast.

But that's understandable because of the drinking laws over there. Also I'm sure that many Americans over 21 could drink me under the table.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

What America has become - the 10 steps to fascism

• Advertisement

Lirange wrote: »
    Gringos?
    Ha! Well, you might find some consensus among those peoples who live in Mexico in terms of calling their northern neighbors this, but it's not exactly a positive label that most US Americans would identify with?;)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement