Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Protest at U2's tax exile status

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

You are kidding?
    Only Protestent families who took the soup cannot vote.:D
    I'm Protestant and can vote in the general election.
    There was obviously some mix-up when it came to you.
    The constitution states that CoI and CoE protestants are only allowed vote in local elections.
    You should contact your local authority ASAP.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,815 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

Terry wrote: »
    There was obviously some mix-up when it came to you.
    The constitution states that CoI and CoE protestants are only allowed vote in local elections.
    You should contact your local authority ASAP.
    In all seriousness, I was only joking in the previous post, but you are soooo wrong.
    There are only 3 criteria for eligibility.

In order to be able to vote in a general election:
    -You must be a citizen of Ireland or Britain
    -You must be 18 years of age on the day the Register of Electors comes into force, i.e., February 15
    -Your name must be on the Register of Electors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

In all seriousness, I was only joking in the previous post, but you are soooo wrong.

In order to be able to vote in a general election:
    -You must be a citizen of Ireland or Britain
    -You must be 18 years of age on the day the Register of Electors comes into force, i.e., February 15
    -Your name must be on the Register of Electors.
    Bollox, there go two of my excuses for not voting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Bollox, there go two of my excuses for not voting.

Under 18?!:D

Go and read the entire constitution. Learn if off like a Muslim person would learn off by heart the Koran ;):D

gurramok wrote: »
    ?!:D

Go and read the entire constitution. Learn if off like a Muslim person would learn off by heart the Koran ;):D

Just in case you are not taking the p1ss which I hope to god you are:D, here is the relivant part of the constitution which has been in place since the formation of the state(on this issue)
    All citizens, and such other persons in the State as may be determined by law, without distinction of sex who have reached the age of eighteen years who are not disqualified by law and comply with the provisions of the law relating to the election of members of Dáil Éireann, shall have the right to vote at an election for members of Dáil Éireann.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Just in case you are not taking the p1ss which I hope to god you are:D, here is the relivant part of the constitution which has been in place since the formation of the state(on this issue)
    All citizens, and such other persons in the State as may be determined by law, without distinction of sex who have reached the age of eighteen years who are not disqualified by law and comply with the provisions of the law relating to the election of members of Dáil Éireann, shall have the right to vote at an election for members of Dáil Éireann.

ROFL, can't believe you actually looked it up! :p;)

gurramok wrote: »
    ROFL, can't believe you actually looked it up! :p;)
    Whew, you had me going there. ;)
    I was thinking he can't be that much of a moron and still be able to use a computer.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭asdasd

Huge getout clause there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

Comparing an ordinary Joe Soap buying toiletries up North to save <100 euro is not the same as a man/ band, and other artists don't forget, trying to swindle the government out of 100's of milions, if not Billions of Euro that could go on Education and Healthcare. (I know the government are a sham). Is Denis O' Brien not lumped into this crowd also?? (Made over a Billion from the Irish, won't give back).

Its like that silly argument, when an employee takes a work pen home, just some ordinary pen. Then someone says, "That's stealing, how would you like it if I took your television, pc, etc. . . . . . "
    Move to Malta
    O'Brien had considered the flotation of Digicel on the New York Stock Exchange and he has taken up residence in Malta. Malta charges no tax on worldwide assets or income brought in by permanent residents[13]. Residence, for tax purposes, means renting or buying a property with a minimum value and visiting Malta at least once within one year of becoming a resident.

O'Brien owns in excess of 87 per cent of the Digicel group, which is owned by way of Digicel Ltd based in Bermuda, another territory with an attractive capital gains tax regime.

He had been a tax resident of Portugal when he sold Esat Telcom in 2000 and this enabled him avoid Irish capital gains tax, which made him somewhat of a controversial figure in Ireland.

Taken from Wikipedia

I have added this, because I am still wondering why U2 are taking all the heat, in relation to tax evasion, when JP McManus and the likes are just as bad. Or are we just talking artists here?

Furthermore, someone mentioned the US Corporations here in Ireland, getting tax breaks, as being in the same league?
    I have to disagree that corp's employing 10's of 1,000's of workers here, is on a par with four guys hiding their money in other countries, avoiding millions of euro in tax, (our money originally)?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭ecom

I have added this, because I am still wondering why U2 are taking all the heat, in relation to tax evasion, when JP McManus and the likes are just as bad. Or are we just talking artists here?

whats this about tax evasion though? There is no law being broken here by any of the aforementioned people....U2, Denis O'Brien etc. They have each moved some of their tax affairs abroad yes, but that is perfectly legal.

How hypocritical are we as a nation when we welcome with open arms foreign companies who take advantage of Irelands low low Corporation tax rate and set-up here (Intel, Microsoft etc etc) and provide thousands upon thousands of jobs, yet when a few wealthy individuals who still spends millions in Ireland, choose to minimise their tax bill in the same way these multinationals have done, we get on our high horses!

Take Denis O'Brien for example, yes he has moved most if not all of his tax affairs out of the country but look at his legacy. He started up a mickey mouse company which split into Digifone / O2 / ESAT BT / BT, all of which pay millions upon millions in taxes to the state each year. Not to mention the thousands of jobs he directly or indirectly helped to create, and the millions in taxes that the employees of these companies pay each year. Like the guy or not, there are thousands of people in employment right now because he is/was a good businessman and took risks. (i have no affiliation with Denis O'Brien whatsoever, but I appreciate people who take risks and provide employment).

U2 recently moved 'some' of their tax affairs outside the state also, however they continue to spend money in this country by living here and contribute a significant amount of money to numerous Irish charities (most of which is not done in the public eye).

As a taxpayer here I welcome people like U2 and Denis O'Brien. We really need to stop believing everything we read in newspapers.
    I don't know. Ireland has a very different attitude to success than a lot of places, certainly than over here in the United States. In the United States, you look at the guy that lives in the mansion on the hill, and you think, you know, one day, if I work really hard, I could live in that mansion. In Ireland, people look up at the guy in the mansion on the hill and go, one day, I'm going to get that bastard.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭masonman

A bit OTT, How exactly does U2's or anyone else's Tax Money Aid the World's poor?

Doesn't our Tax Money go on TD's Hairdos and Private Jets? :p

Advertisement