Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Employed?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Travelling in my caravan, Boss.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,160 ✭✭✭✭banshee_bones

i work part time and also recieve casual jobseekers benefit. However the poll doesnt give an part time option. I also happen to know alot of people in the same boat as myself.
    you also forgot returning to education as an option.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

Yes, being made redundant soon
    I've currently got two jobs and am working about 55-60 hours per week.

I also only have myself and my girlfriend to thank, no "God".

• Registered Users Posts: 10,511 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

Rb wrote: »
    I've currently got two jobs and am working about 55-60 hours per week.

I also only have myself and my girlfriend to thank, no "God".

I'm a cool atheist blah blah blah. It's a figure of speech.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,452 ✭✭✭Blisterman

Student
    Well, out of 83 people, so far only 9 are unemployed, which my calculations make as barely more than 1 in 10.

So, things aren't really as bad as people here seem to make out.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Well the live register rate for January shows 9.2% of the workforce are signing on.
    So 9/10 people have some sort of employment

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭deadhead13

Blisterman wrote: »
    Well, out of 83 people, so far only 9 are unemployed, which my calculations make as barely more than 1 in 10.

10% unemployment is pretty bad by anyones standards.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Iang87

no dude it is if you did this poll a year ago there would already be 1500 voters but cos people have no money they lost their broadband so they cant get online.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

dsmythy wrote: »
    I'm a cool atheist blah blah blah. It's a figure of speech.
    I worked my ass off to get these jobs, and now I work my ass off to keep them so nobody but me is getting credit for it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Student
    Was let go last month, and am still waiting to see if I can get dole. Girl in the dole office said it could take up to 12 weeks to process a dole claim.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,088 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Student

10% is a pretty bad level of unemployment.

Edit: Why the public poll, is this some kind of government spot check to find the dossers?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 6,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭silvervixen84

Yes, still busy which is great. Have to go back to it in 10 mins though, mmmm lunch!

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭destroyer

dsmythy wrote: »
    Hey! Quit hogging the jobs!

l would love to work less but commitments mean i cant at the
    moment

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭destroyer

deadhead13 wrote: »
    10% unemployment is pretty bad by anyones standards.

Not really, unless you grew up knowing only the celtic tiger.

We had 20% unemployment in the 80's even though lots of people
    were emigrating.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭katzenjammer

Emigrated and unemployed
    I just handed in my notice!! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭Puddleduck

I just handed in my notice!! :eek:

Can I has yer Job>?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭MIN2511

robinph wrote: »
    10% is a pretty bad level of unemployment.

Edit: Why the public poll, is this some kind of government spot check to find the dossers?

Nah... I don't work for the Goverment... Just thought to make it public....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Where can I vote yes without thanking your god?

Emigrated and unemployed
    Puddleduck wrote: »
    Can I has yer Job>?

If it's a crappy part time job you want.... Be my guest! But I want it back in July :mad:

If it's a crappy part time job you want.... Be my guest! But I want it back in July :mad:

Er yes, yes of course. Just apply for it in writing..and send a check.

Although if it involves working with the public you can keep it. Both myself and potential employers soon find out I dont like dealing with people.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,821 ✭✭✭RxQueen

cut to 3 days a week atm.. 40% pay cut the joys !>.<

Emigrated and unemployed
    Although if it involves working with the public you can keep it. Both myself and potential employers soon find out I dont like dealing with people.

Ahhh, then you'll have to keep looking I'm afraid. High levels of working with tourists, children and idiots in this job.... After a year and a half I learned an important life lesson; People are annoying.

Ahhh, then you'll have to keep looking I'm afraid. High levels of working with tourists, children and idiots in this job.... After a year and a half I learned an important life lesson; People are annoying.

If you want to learn all about the public in the shortest amount of time, work for a shop, you see all kinds of idiots.

Frankly, Id rather shovel Sh!te

• Registered Users Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

I heard that 9 in 10 unemployed people don't have the internets.

I'm employed at the moment, working and average of 65-70 hours a week. Can't really see those hours reducing, which, in a fucked up way I should be glad about :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

Yes, part-time. I have a job until/if Asda come in (July is the latest rumour). Drapery though, not grocery..BUT I work in a Dublin flagship so it's safer than eh other Dunnes would be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 654 ✭✭✭sillyputty

Student
    I got made redundant at Christmas, been looking ever since applying for new jobs all the time hopefully something will turn up soon.

I will love to know what we can do to help us out of our current situation. I am tried of accusing the Government and blaming them for the recession. We are not the only country in recession, many countries have been affected so it's OUR fault...

How do we make things right?

Not looking for kick the foreigners out etc, because if the foreigners(myself included) are thrown out think of all the Irish people in Oz, America, Canada and New Zealan who will have to come home...

MIN2511 wrote: »
    I will love to know what we can do to help us out of our current situation. I am tried of accusing the Government and blaming them for the recession. We are not the only country in recession, many countries have been affected so it's OUR fault...

How do we make things right?

Not looking for kick the foreigners out etc, because if the foreigners(myself included) are thrown out think of all the Irish people in Oz, America, Canada and New Zealan who will have to come home...

Higer taxes and wage cuts is whatll help us. People also need to quit bitching and moaning over every little thing. I also think the full extent of the mess needs to be made public so we know what were dealing with and also so we dont lose any more face worldwide when it comes to marketing. At the same time I think that the weakest shouldnt be the first ones targeted (dole, special needs etc)

Dont worry, the recession worries me a little too but like anything well come out of it eventually, except this time we wont have a boom to come out into, we should just level out.

Higer taxes and wage cuts is whatll help us. People also need to quit bitching and moaning over every little thing. I also think the full extent of the mess needs to be made public so we know what were dealing with and also so we dont lose any more face worldwide when it comes to marketing. At the same time I think that the weakest shouldnt be the first ones targeted (dole, special needs etc)

Dont worry, the recession worries me a little too but like anything well come out of it eventually, except this time we wont have a boom to come out into, we should just level out.
    If wages are cut, i hope it will be from the top... Minimum wage is quite low as we speak...
    I agree, the poorest people are the first to bear the brunt of it all

• Advertisement

MIN2511 wrote: »
    If wages are cut, i hope it will be from the top... Minimum wage is quite low as we speak...
    I agree, the poorest people are the first to bear the brunt of it all

Its like someone said to me. You make the cuts at the top and work your way down, not start at the bottom and work your way up. Reducing minimum wage and cutting the dole are ridiculous ideas, thats targeting those that cant afford it. Start with those that can. Sure, we all have to take a hit, but at least be fair about it.

Advertisement