Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moral dilemma?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭tylerdurden94

Willies post made alot of sense.

Lets get all Jessica Fletcher and Columbo on this so by process of elimination the persons who dont post in his are the main suspects/culprit! :p

(bad joke? maybe :o)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭ITT-Pat

JP Poker wrote: »
    Hypothetically speaking....

ffs, i'll give it to ya on thursday

• Registered Users Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭YULETIRED

What yer woomans new fiance 'Carfax' said (congrats by the way)

Jp stay professional, naming and shaming is not the way to go. It's your business.

btw that guy in Cavan who wrote his defaulting customers names on his shop window, I wonder what sort of crashing noise that window will make a peice of turf flies though it. (ill thought out plan)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭Trippie

You also have to take into account that naming him might not have the desired effect at all as it might not entice him to pay up any quicker. Just look at the well known taxi driver/dog trainer situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭kpnuts

Trippie wrote: »
    You also have to take into account that naming him might not have the desired effect at all as it might not entice him to pay up any quicker. Just look at the well known taxi driver/dog trainer situation.

"well known"? can you give us a bit more info to help us to google this. Sounds like some cabbie not paying his Pedigree Chum/walkies fees? Or did a dog trainer do a runner on his cab fare? :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭nicnicnic

I'd warn him that your gonna out him first.

this

• Registered Users Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

First of all I wouldn't go naming him on a public forum - i think it is out of line. If i was you, i would bar him from all of your events and continue to hassle him whenever you see him until he pays up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭nicnicnic

you could always sell the debt

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭kpnuts

sickpuppy wrote: »
    Call me old fashioned but certain things are worth beating someone over.#
    And this individual is obviously pulling the pi ss.
    You were good enough perhaps a little naieve to give someone benefit of doubt and they have basically giving you a 2 finger salute in the face not cool.
    500euro is a lot of work and this person needs to be named and shamed.
    Jp as someone whos been around poekr scene myself for 6 six years haerd some awful stories about gimps not paying back cash been done myself lesson learned wont happen again.
    Perhaps give him one final chance tell him or her hell be outed on boards unless he stumps up not as if youll be losing a friend now is it
    there will probably eb araft of other debtors after ya too good luck.

This.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Wreck

Warper wrote: »
    First of all I wouldn't go naming him on a public forum - i think it is out of line. If i was you, i would bar him from all of your events and continue to hassle him whenever you see him until he pays up.

No it's not out of line, not paying JP back when he clearly has had the money at certain points over the 18 months is what is out of line. Outing him here serves two purposes, warns the rest of us off loaning him cash and penalises the guy for not paying back the loan.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Warper wrote: »

:rolleyes:

He's given him 18months to pay him back and he's basically been told to **** off yet JP would be the one out of line? lol, Irish people are such retards.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭Lurker1977

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

I would let him know he has until Sunday or else you will start dropping hints without mentioning him. This really grinds my gears tbh but at least i have learned from previous incidents and will never lend out money again.

It does no harm letting the rest of poker forum know "who to avoid" when being asked for a lend

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭thenutpeddler

Lao Lao wrote: »
    Name and shame! It's something that seems not to be spoken about enough in poker and all/any loans are all hush hush. I got stung with lending a very well known player €400 several months ago. It was only when I started to look for the money back that I found out that he owed half of Dublin money. Despite ringing/txting said person several times and knowing that he has had 3 nice cashes totalling over 6.5K since November, i ain't seen a cent! HadI known that he owed money to other people, there is no way I would have lent them money.

Same guy owes me a oner for a year. I feel as if I got off light. Also learned a valuable lesson. I honestly don't know how I feel about outing people, it does get
    all a little witchhunty but on the other hand young/new players should be aware that there are people out there that prey on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,077 ✭✭✭smurph

Jp,
    Phone him and say that you are going to give him 3 working days to get his arse in gear and get the money lodged into your account or you will be naming him on Boards, and that he will be barred for All events that you are involved in or that you are tournament Director of in the future Considering all the good feedback you are getting I have a feeling that you will be doing alot of Tournament Director work over the next year or so...

The nicy nicy nudges haven't worked.

This kind of thing really pisses me off. He is clearly taking the piss, arsewipe of the highest order.....

I lent money to 2 people in the Fitzwilliam and I had to hunt one of the down and literally embaress them into giving me my €100 back, and they took a snot with me for looking for the money back... it was 6 months later that I had to get nasty with the stupid geebag.......

the other individual left a card behind the desk in the fitz with a thank you note and the money enclosed within 2weeks or me giving them the loan.....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

I gave FH a lend of €50 once, got it back within 3 days, unfortunately loads of people have been willing to lend me money, luckily none of them have outed me on boards yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,771 ✭✭✭carfax

:rolleyes:

He's given him 18months to pay him back and he's basically been told to **** off yet JP would be the one out of line? lol, Irish people are such retards.

Bearing that in mind and from my own experience; That is the reason that if you are the one to tell tales it will almost always back-fire on you or reflect badly on you in some way. Irish people are funny like that, a lot of people will think to themselves "well if he is telling me that this person is a thief [or whatever] then what is he saying about me to others".

I've been in JP's situation myself countless times in the past and lost the head about it once this year only for it to make me look an idiot.

Stephen.

P.S. €500 is pocket change to JP :D

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭doke

There may be problems with outing the person here, but I'd certainly spread the word around privately if I were you.

Best idea though is definitely to send sickpuppy around to administer a punishment beating. I'm hereby appointing him as my Debt Collector in chief.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 955 ✭✭✭sickpuppy

id sooner ignore the few dregs that owe me than batter them
    at least when they borrow a nifty they never come near you again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭jbravado

Solid dodging by the degen imo.

On a serious note I would in almost every case be against outing if the guy is sick or whatever but if he has loots and just doesnt feel like paying then Id out the fcuk of him. Id imaginge though his loot is probably long gone and its a case of too late.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

carfax wrote: »
    Bearing that in mind and from my own experience; That is the reason that if you are the one to tell tales it will almost always back-fire on you or reflect badly on you in some way. Irish people are funny like that, a lot of people will think to themselves "well if he is telling me that this person is a thief [or whatever] then what is he saying about me to others".

I've been in JP's situation myself countless times in the past and lost the head about it once this year only for it to make me look an idiot.

Stephen.

P.S. €500 is pocket change to JP :D

Unless you've an outstanding loan which you've dodged for 18months I wouldnt worry about it. I also dont see how JP can make himself look like an idiot. If people are allowed get with ripping people off they will continue to do it, If I lend him money subsequently to this event and found out later that he had a previous record for being awful with debts but people were too afraid to mention it because it's "out of line" I'd be pretty miffed.

I personnally cant understand the mentality of people to say it's out of order to out him, then again I cant understand how someone can allow themselves to be made a prat of for 18months aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭RoundTower

out him in the 50kth post in the BBV thread

kpnuts wrote: »
    "well known"? can you give us a bit more info to help us to google this. Sounds like some cabbie not paying his Pedigree Chum/walkies fees? Or did a dog trainer do a runner on his cab fare? :D

Someone "may" have sold an imaginary dog to some dealers who work in a club with a name like the OP and also to well known Dublin player. They may also have charged same for the upkeep and training costs of this imaginary greyhound.

Person may also not wish to go too close to a pub on Camden St. for similar reasons.*
    *Obviously this is just as I have heard it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭Ollieboy

I've want to start a thread similiar to this for ages and it really pees me off scum like this taking loans and have no intention of paying it back, I know they usually have a problem, but they give you the whole speech and than try to make a dick out of you.

To be fair JP this guy as made a total dick out of you and the same as happen to me over the last 18 months. I was told lie after lie and made promises after promise. It work its way up to over 500 at once stage and is currently down to $135 and I'm planning to get every bit back.

When I start on the Irish scene I promise myself never to lend money and I made a mistake in thinking this person was sound, had a successiful business and money and was wealthy and it was just a credit card problem. It actually makes me sick to see him and I can't be in the same room as him. I know I will lose it with him one of these days even if I get the money back buts its his fault now and he'll just have to deal with it as I feel he's made a total dick out of me. (not that hard before someone else says it).

I know another player who recently spot someone 5k online and is been mess about getting payment back even though this guy is cashing. He owes money all over the place and not just in Ireland. I reckon he'll be found in a ditch soon enough.

So should these players be out? I believe so, but the problem is his friends etc, as Jay found out last time and people always seem to make excuses for these people, but they have no right to ask for a loan if they have no way of paying it back. It really makes me sick.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

agony-aunt.jpg

Dear Ann

I lent money to someone who i didn't really know that well. Ah but they seemed like great craic and sure isn't that what counts !!

The only times i have really met them before was when i am getting my gambol on playing the pokerz. I lent him a hundo and he proceeded to split 10's against the dealers picture and then double 12 shortly after which he went broke. He did seem a bit degnish but sure he was sound so i threw him a few more quid.

My worst nightmare happened when this stand-up guy wouldn't pay me back. I feel violated and like a total idiot.

What should i do Ann ?

Ann Replies

These kind of bottled feelings will eat away at you so its time to let go and get on with your life. Sometimes people don't always do what they say they will but thats life. Don't be such a ****ing mug in future learn from your mistakes and just be thankful hes no friend of yours.

Opr

• Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭HIVeindhoven

You should always assume people you meet in a cardroom are degenerate welshers unless proven otherwise (degenerate until proven innocent).

Dont have too much sympathy for the people who get screwed when a guy you only know in a gambling environment fails to pay back a loan. It happened to me once in Dublin(for E300, eventually got it back) and i learned my lesson.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭Conbro

RoundTower wrote: »
    out him in the 50kth post in the BBV thread

Im missing something here whats the joke?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Conbro wrote: »
    Im missing something here whats the joke?

50,000th post just took place in the bad beat thread

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭Conbro

50,000th post just took place in the bad beat thread

Ye I gathered that Fran just couldnt understand why everyone was queueing up to thank RT:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭Ste05

Conbro wrote: »
    Ye I gathered that Fran just couldnt understand why everyone was queueing up to thank RT:confused:
    Cos we needed a landmark post for #50,000???

Anyway, best get back on topic here, serious business is still afoot.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement