Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moral dilemma?

Options
  • 18-02-2009 4:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭

Hypothetically speaking, a well know player and boards.ie member arrives at a tournament which you are running that has a buy in of €500. Said player comes up tells you that he forgot his wallet and asks if you can spot him and he will pay you back next week. Foolishly you agree.

Roll on 18 months…

You ring the player, Pm him on boards he agrees to lodge the money into your bank account, which he doesn't. You then see him at most of the major events in Ireland, Irish Open, Winter Festival and Deepstack events and every time you ask about your money you're given some excuse.

Said player has recently come into money and you ring him again and nicely ask about payment and are given another excuse.

What do you do?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭smcb

forgive the man as he is your father?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭Gholimoli

i would talk to him one last time saying that if he does not pay you you will out him.

there is no excuse in my book for this kind of crap...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,911 ✭✭✭Washout

Saw on the news that a shopkeeper put a list on their window of all the people who were not paying up.

Name and Shame the way to go?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Wreck

Out him on boards, even if only to prevent others from loaning him cash. Also the thread may entertain me for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Hectorjelly

Yeah out him so other people don't make the same mistake

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭Icarus152

Burn the witch.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭connie147

Its an awkward one JP, but I'd agree with the lads. Its not like you havent given him oppertunities to repay you, and seeing him at all these major festivals must make your stomach churn. I'd give him another chance, but I'd also tell him that if he fails to come up with the goods you'd out him on this forum. That should do the trick.

Connie.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,513 ✭✭✭RoadSweeper

I'd warn him that your gonna out him first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,533 ✭✭✭ollyk1

Take a leaf out of Jay's playbook i reckon. :D:D

P.S. JP can I can have a fiver???:p

• Registered Users Posts: 36,139 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭flushje

Little ****, get some junkie to rob him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭smcb

put him inside a big tractor wheel and roll him down a really bumpy hill

• Closed Accounts Posts: 955 ✭✭✭sickpuppy

Call me old fashioned but certain things are worth beating someone over.#
    And this individual is obviously pulling the pi ss.
    You were good enough perhaps a little naieve to give someone benefit of doubt and they have basically giving you a 2 finger salute in the face not cool.
    500euro is a lot of work and this person needs to be named and shamed.
    Jp as someone whos been around poekr scene myself for 6 six years haerd some awful stories about gimps not paying back cash been done myself lesson learned wont happen again.
    Perhaps give him one final chance tell him or her hell be outed on boards unless he stumps up not as if youll be losing a friend now is it
    there will probably eb araft of other debtors after ya too good luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

I cant believe you've let it last 18months, pathetic.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,498 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

I would imagine that considering this player is a boards regular then he will read it and the threat of possible outage *should* be enough for him to pay up sharpish

• Registered Users Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭tylerdurden94

You have show a certain amount of courtesy towards this player so far, i think its time for one last chance and if he does not pay up what he owes you when then i think its time to name and shame him. I think the shock of been outed will make up cough up the €€€€€

• Registered Users Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭YULETIRED

Let him know you are disappointed that he has taken advantage of you and that until further notice he is barred from any event you run, as his account with you is effectively in arrears. 500 quid is increasingly becoming a lot of money so it's kind of hard to just write it off however use this experience as an example to anyone who presses you for an advance or 'spot' in the future. I realise you are very friendly with a huge % of the Dublin players but in this regard you have to protect your business/livlihood. If I ever approach you for a 'spot' into a tournament you have my permission to throw a cocktail susage (or carrot stick If I go veggie :-) at my face as you refuse.
    Outing is something you have to be careful about, it's easy for the guys on here to say it.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,846 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

JP, if you are intending naming this person, please give us a headsup first. I remember the previous controversy, but I don't think naming him in this manner was allowed. I will clarify with the others first, but until further notice don't name here please.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Lazare

in before popcorn pic

• Registered Users Posts: 5,294 ✭✭✭ionapaul

I assume he / she knows about this thread? Leave it a few days, if you haven't been paid by then, time to out them. Only way to get it sorted I think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭tipp86

I have a feeling the player is probably on this forum and this thread is his last chance before been outed.

I hate this kind off stuff and now when it comes to poker i will only loan 3 or 4 people who are my friends outside poker.

I have maybe taken a loan 2 or 3 times and allways payed it back within a day.

The worst part of it all is that he seems to be playing away no problem, has he had the cheek to enter any of your games since?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,533 ✭✭✭ollyk1

5starpool wrote: »
    JP, if you are intending naming this person, please give us a headsup first. I remember the previous controversy, but I don't think naming him in this manner was allowed. I will clarify with the others first, but until further notice don't name here please.

Booo

It's obvious to me Dom that JP was bluffing here and had no real intention of naming and shaming but was instead trying to apply pressure on the individual concerned. Now you've gone and undermined the bluff he was running.

Booo I say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 955 ✭✭✭sickpuppy

Id also demand some interest off said snake in the grass.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 481 ✭✭The C Kid

Ban the OP for posting a thread that is thoroughly boring and useless without names.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,764 ✭✭✭DeadParrot

I think Willie's suggestion was by far the most sensible (wow, would'ya thunk it?? ) ;)

oh and....
    costanzaPopcorn.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭Flushdraw

JP Poker wrote: »
    Said player has recently come into money and you ring him again and nicely ask about payment and are given another excuse.

What do you do?

I'm sure you have said persons phone number? All you need to do is text and let them know you've been looking for advice on boards, he/she can read the thread if they wish but you're not willing to wait much longer. Give them another 3 days to come up with the funds.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,771 ✭✭✭carfax

Hi JP,

You can't reveal the name on here in my humble opinion. As, probably the most well known and biggest tournament organiser in the country I think it will stand to you not to be talking out of shop.

...I never give any loans anymore, but I think you have to swallow this one mate. Just my opinion though.

Stephen.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,139 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

Don't name him directly, drop hints so that other posters on boards will know who you are on about and can spread the word. You would be doing the community a favour by letting people avoid him and escaping from being owed money like you are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭Lao Lao

Name and shame! It's something that seems not to be spoken about enough in poker and all/any loans are all hush hush. I got stung with lending a very well known player €400 several months ago. It was only when I started to look for the money back that I found out that he owed half of Dublin money. Despite ringing/txting said person several times and knowing that he has had 3 nice cashes totalling over 6.5K since November, i ain't seen a cent! HadI known that he owed money to other people, there is no way I would have lent them money.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement