Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What have you watched recently?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,012 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

mrmorgan wrote: »
    Matchstick men

im not nicholas cage biggest fan and it did turn me off watching this for ages but he really was brilliant in this.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0325805/

its well worth a watch and sam rockwell plays a good part also.

I detest cage but this is a great movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

I detest cage but this is a great movie.

Cage can act when he wants to, he's just in amounts of garbage these days.

watched American Splendor last night, great movie, bout eternal grouch Harvey Pekar's rise from file clerk to underground comic phenomenon. Paul Giamatti is on great form and the intercutting between film and interviews with the real Harvey is well done, love the scene where Giamatti is sitting in the background chuckling at the real Pekar talking to his friend about jellybeans.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,147 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

krudler wrote: »
    watched American Splendor last night, great movie, bout eternal grouch Harvey Pekar's rise from file clerk to underground comic phenomenon. Paul Giamatti is on great form and the intercutting between film and interviews with the real Harvey is well done, love the scene where Giamatti is sitting in the background chuckling at the real Pekar talking to his friend about jellybeans.

Brilliant film, been years since I watched it. Equal parts film and documentary in many ways. Love the gag at the start with the trick or treaters where all the other kids are dressed as
    superheroes and harvey is just himself
    . I think it deserves a bit more recognition than it gets among comic book movies.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Brilliant film, been years since I watched it. Equal parts film and documentary in many ways. Love the gag at the start with the trick or treaters where all the other kids are dressed as
    superheroes and harvey is just himself
    . I think it deserves a bit more recognition than it gets among comic book movies.

Yeah, I love how off kilter it is, having Pekar imagine the animated version of himself popping up giving out to him. Anyone know what the movie about Walter Crumb he mentions is called? prob be a cool companion piece to it.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,147 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

krudler wrote: »
    Yeah, I love how off kilter it is, having Pekar imagine the animated version of himself popping up giving out to him. Anyone know what the movie about Walter Crumb he mentions is called? prob be a cool companion piece to it.

Yeah it's just called Crumb: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0109508/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

So I watched Leaving Las Vegas last night. I honestly don't know what to think of it, except for depressing. Jesus, its depressing.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,097 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

The Flowers of War

Oh Zhang Yimou! So close yet so very, very wrong! Christian Bale stars as an alcoholic mortician who stumbles into the middle of the Nanking Massacre to bury a priest. He soon finds himself stuck in a cathedral with a group of young orphan girls, a ragtag gang of prostitutes and the Japanese army banging on the door (with a sole Chinese soldier trying to hold them off). Initially this is an oddball (Bale makes a convincing asshole), visually striking (colours! in a war film!) piece that suggests it might it transcend the limitations of the story. But no, it's not to be. After a diverting first half the second descends into some of the most insipid, vomitous sentimentality imaginable. The plot becomes contrived beyond belief, and initial hints that this might challenge and subvert stereotypes are mere hints that soon regress to laziness and one-dimensionality. Even Spielberg's more mawkish efforts aren't as cheesy as some of the nonsense Yimou hurls at the screen in one sentimental moment after another.

There's some genuinely shocking, brutal moments, but this film has little interest in anything more complex than cartoonish heroes and villains. Given the tragic circumstances, this is partially understandable, but it does not a compelling film make, especially for Western audiences less connected with events. Stick with City of Life & Death. The Flowers of War shows promises, but pisses it away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Tonight "Narrow Margin" 1990 - charity shop promo DVD - 50 cents well spent. A taught thriller starring Gene Hackman as an Assistant District Attorney trying to bring-in a witness (Anne Archer) to a mob killing. There's serious skulduggery afoot when a mole in the DA's office reveals the whereabouts of the witness to the mob...a real goodie 9.5/10

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

The Cabin in the woods, really liked it

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭MiloYossarian

Goon I was a bit dissapointed when Seann William Scott dropped out of Kevin Smith's 'Hit Somebody' and ended up doing this because I thought he was perfect casting for somebody who is just put out on the ice to fight, and I was right, because he elevates this.
    It's such a simple film, it should not be so good. But it is, and now I'm thinking that 'Hit Somebody' is going to pale in comparison. Even though I love the song that that film is based on, and was really excited about it. The live version I heard (repeatedly) is fantastic, it has David Letterman shouting in the background. And it introduced me to Warren Zevon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Thirst: Just watched this thanks to Mickeroo recommendation in the recommended movies on tv thread so to him thanks ;):).

This is why i love Asian cinema there so different from mainstream Hollywood in terms of making films a little bit different and for adults baically they take risks. A Vampire film with a difference, if youve seen any of Chan Wook Park's films youll have an idea of what to expect suspense, twist and turns in the storyline, violence, humour and amazing cinematography with some beautiful visuals.

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭mrmorgan

CHRONICLE

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1706593/

if you are into all these movies about people with super powers. then this one is for you. worth a watch

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭splashthecash

nuxxx wrote: »
    The Cabin in the woods, really liked it

I watched this last night - thought it was very good. One of the best original horror movies I've seen since Saw (the first one, the 20 or so sequels don't count).

The only thing formulaic about the whole thing was the obligatory slutty, brainy, coloured, jock and stoner....but even at that, there is a reason for why these characters were there.

While not a full out horror in the full sense of the word, there are a couple of jumpy bits but its more so a good fun film with plenty to keep you entertained for approx 1.5 hours.

Thumbs up to Joss Wheaton - first this, then Avengers....the man is on a roll this year

• Registered Users Posts: 13,551 ✭✭✭✭briany

Last night I watched K-PAX starring Kevin Spacey as a man who believes he is a space traveler from a planet of that name and Jeff Bridges as the hospital psychiatrist who is tasked with snapping him out of that delusion.

This was a fun life affirming type drama in the ballpark of American Beauty or The Terminal with a little bit of One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest for good measure. Not to be taken too seriously though and not to be watched if you dislike Kevin Spacey.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭Goldstein

I Saw the Devil

Outstanding - right up there among the best films I've watched in the last couple of years. I'm not sure if it was the grade of film or post-production or what but it just looked astonishingly and vividly beautiful throughout. A brilliantly written, impeccably executed instant modern classic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭livinsane

Watched Ravenous tonight. Bordering on the ridiculous...but I still liked it. Despite the grim subject matter, I smiled all the way through. It is comical, probably intentional but not obviously so. I chose the film because it stars Guy Pearce but Robert Carlyle steals the show. Soundtrack is excellent (Damon Albarn involved) with some very atmospheric tracks at the beginning of the film. I reckon this film would split a group down the middle as to whether it's good or bad. It certainly masters the delicate art of "so bad it's good" films. Will suit lovers of garish horrors and could be considered a cult movie, I reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Fly Away Home : Beautiful film based on a true story about a young girl who looses her mother in a car accident; is not close to her father at the beginning but goes to live with him.
    Basicly she finds a nest dull of eggs on her fathers farm, nurtures them and when they hatch, the geese look on her as their mother.

It's a feel-good, soppy story that unites father & daughter after they teach the geese to learn to fly the route their mother would normally teach them to fly :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭saintsaltynuts

The Dark Knight Rises...Great Action Hero Movie beneath the hype.****/5.
    Ted...Take this at face value for a giggle you wont be disappointed...***/5.
    Cabin In The Woods.At first seems like a run of the mill horror but nothing's further from the truth.Thought it was really clever and that gave it an edge..***/5
    The Dictator...pure tripe..*/5.

Goldstein wrote: »
    I Saw the Devil

Outstanding - right up there among the best films I've watched in the last couple of years. I'm not sure if it was the grade of film or post-production or what but it just looked astonishingly and vividly beautiful throughout. A brilliantly written, impeccably executed instant modern classic.

The trailer for that director's new and first American film is up now. It's starring Arnold Swartzenegger. I'm super looking forward to seeing it since I watched I Saw The Devil.

This Means War It's diabolical. One or two good scenes, the paintball for example, but other than that it's poor.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭8mv

Watched Drive last night with my eldest. Very dissapointed to be honest after hearing so much positive about it last year. It had all the ingredients - good story and good actors but the director went in for too many brooding silences. We don't need everything spelled out for us but we should expect a reasonable amount of exposition and dialogue. It reminded me of that really annoying film with Pat Short (Garage?) a few years ago. Just a lot more violent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,005 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

8mv wrote: »
    Watched Drive last night with my eldest. Very dissapointed to be honest after hearing so much positive about it last year. It had all the ingredients - good story and good actors but the director went in for too many brooding silences. We don't need everything spelled out for us but we should expect a reasonable amount of exposition and dialogue. It reminded me of that really annoying film with Pat Short (Garage?) a few years ago. Just a lot more violent.

Funny you should say that, because I loved both! I hate going into a movie with pre existing expectations though, more often that not it leads to disappointment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 508 ✭✭✭craftypaddy

Goldstein wrote: »
    I Saw the Devil

great film, i highly recommend to all

• Registered Users Posts: 18,916 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

'The Signal'

Uneven horror/comedy that doesn't add up to a satisfactory whole, despite having a decent premise and looking good in the face of its low budget. 'The Signal' is a story told in three parts, with the opener being the most superior and exciting as it focuses on a slow breakdown of society, when people go mad due to the influence of a mysterious (an unexplained) signal. The second part deals with a domestic situation gone awry, as a planned party ends up a mess. The third part of the film ends with the survivors of the outbreak trying to escape the city.

'The Signal', directed by David Bruckner, Dan Bush, Jacob Gentry is a good idea, but unfortunately is let down terribly by an awful 2nd section. After a very interesting opener, the "party" chapter (or transmission) dispenses with the tense, serious take of the 1st part and goes for comedy. It's an awful production decision that nearly throws the whole film out the window and one it's a wonder why the producers thought that it would be a good idea. Its "comedy" is also completely unfunny, which is a worse crime.

Even so, when one considers that the whole thing was shot on a budget of $50.000, there's a quite a bit to admire. It looks well and the acting stays steady throughout, but its a pity that the film makers couldn't keep the story together for the whole show.

It's telling that the trailer features footage largely from the 1st and 3rd sections.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 974 ✭✭✭BarackPyjama

The Dark Knight Rises - An excellent end to an excellent trilogy ****/5
    Ted - Very funny. Probably could have been funnier but well worth a watch all the same ****/5
    Cabin in the Woods - Very original and reasonably entertaining horror flick ***/5
    The Bourne Legacy - I enjoyed it even if most didn't! Solid action flick but nowhere near as good as predecessors ***/5
    Contraband - Bland and often boring heist movie albeit with some good action and glimpses of solid acting from Ribisi and Wahlberg **/5
    The Hunger Games - Enjoyable action romp. A movie aimed at tweens with a pretty dark theme ****/5
    Warrior - Was taken by surprise by this one. Engaging cage fighter/family reconciliation movie with excellent performances from Tom Hardy and Nick Nolte *****/5

• Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Gamb!t

The Hunter - started out ok but seemed to run out of idea's.
    Thought the ending sucked.
    3/5

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Icarus Wings

Tsotsi was on last night on TG4 and I'm definitely glad I saw it! It won an Oscar in 2006 as the best foreign language movie.

It follows six days in the life of a youth living in a township in Johannesburg. Events in a difficult life have left him desensitised to the violence that he inflicts on others. After crippling a young woman and hijacking her car, he discovers a baby in the backseat. Frightened of the possible consequences, he takes the baby back to his home in the slum, where he begins to reevaluate his life and his relationships with those around him.

Although the plot seems quite simple, the movie provides a thought-provoking and poignant insight into how someone can fall into a life of crime and whether or not redemption can truly be achieved.

Definitely would recommend it to any movie fans! Even if you hate foreign language films, this one might just change your mind...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,551 ✭✭✭✭briany

Tony EH wrote: »
    'The Signal'

'The Signal', directed by David Bruckner, Dan Bush, Jacob Gentry is a good idea, but unfortunately is let down terribly by an awful 2nd section. After a very interesting opener, the "party" chapter (or transmission) dispenses with the tense, serious take of the 1st part and goes for comedy. It's an awful production decision that nearly throws the whole film out the window and one it's a wonder why the producers thought that it would be a good idea. Its "comedy" is also completely unfunny, which is a worse crime.

Even so, when one considers that the whole thing was shot on a budget of $50.000, there's a quite a bit to admire. It looks well and the acting stays steady throughout, but its a pity that the film makers couldn't keep the story together for the whole show.

It's telling that the trailer features footage largely from the 1st and 3rd sections.

I enjoyed that film all the way through and I respectfully disagree about the second section which I thought was demented. The way they tried to maintain the shaky facade of sanity in spite of overwhelming evidence to the contrary was hilarious and also unnerving and was, to me, the most inventive section of the film. I liked the other two sections as well, mind.

Overall that film blew away the Crazies remake for me which was just such a dull film. Plenty of action in that one but the one dimensional portrayal of the whole thing made it hard to care.

Anyway, I watched UHF there the other night. Weird Al plays a slacker who is given the run of a local small time TV station. Just a good old stupid 80s comedy with plenty of laughs. Recommended

Friends With Kids They touted it as 'From the people that brought you Bridesmaids.' But it's not a comedy. Not an all out comedy anyway. It's quite good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭Delightfully Pessimistic

Red State: OK movie, nothing special. As a fan of Kevin Smith I decided to give this a watch. It was VERY slow to start but after a half hour the movie finally picks up and becomes a reasonably entertaining action flick. The last 5 to 10 minutes are quite funny.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,916 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

briany wrote: »
    I enjoyed that film all the way through and I respectfully disagree about the second section which I thought was demented...

That's ok. People take different things from films.

I sort of understand what the producers were trying to do, but for me they failed. In addition, the generally excellent 1st section sets the viewer up for a vastly different film and the unfunny comedy (I didn't laugh) of the 2nd section didn't help the film along at all. By the 3rd, I just didn't care anymore.

Over all, I felt that the film would have been better if they had just stuck to what seemed to be the original story.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement