Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What have you watched recently?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,173 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

The Tall Man (2012) with jessica Alba.

Stay away from this movie!
    Its that bad.
    Starts off as your usually horror movie. Small town USA. No money in the town as the mine closed down. But it gets worse. Peoples children have been going missing. Abducted by a mysterious figure known as "The Tall Man"

Cue introduction of jessica biel whose husband died and just so happens to have a son. You think you know what happens next, right?
    Its gets mental. Yes Biel's "son" does get abducted but not by the tall man, but the childs actual mother. Beil is the one who is abducting kids. At the end of the movie we learn her husband isnt dead .... they are apart of some "organisation" ... abducting kids and giving them new parents so they can have better lives :rolleyes:

But the biggest problem isnt the plot. The movie just doesnt tell you whats going on. I summerized the above. But you watch it and be thinking to yourself "what is going on!?"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭sprucemoose

Winters Bone is very good
    Winter's Bone is not very good, it's unbelievably brilliant.Watched it on Sat after sky plusing it when it was on Sky Arts ages ago.Have to admit the scene with the
    chainsaw the river
    was tough to watch but brilliantly acted.Kinda weird to see the brother from Eastbound & Down (John Hawkes) as a character like Teardrop but apparently he's even weirer in that thing Martha Marcy May Marlene?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,998 ✭✭✭grohlisagod

Dracula (1992)

Headf*ck of a film. Oldman is brilliant especially as the old count, Hopkins is strong and Winona Ryder is beautiful as always. It also looks amazing and I loved the use of shadow.

However, the film is messy and I wanted to punch Keanu Reeves every time he opened his mouth. Just left with a feeling that it had more to offer than it ultimately did. Still well worth watching.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭johndoe99

watched "Cool Hand Luke" last night, been years since i saw it last. Paul Newman and George Kennedy were just amazing actors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

Jacobs Ladder

Easily one of my favorite films of all time. Just love everything about it. Still freaks the **** out of me too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,341 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

In her skin - Crazy australian drama based on a true story, left not knowing how i feel about it at the moment, it was creepy as fúck

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,099 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

The General - a film whose epic scale and force have lost little of their impact after eight decades. A series of elaborate and expensive setpieces that still look absolutely terrific, with many stunts that have yet to be equalled. A simple but effective story keeps things chugging along nicely (literally). Mr. Keaton was most definitely the man.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 363 ✭✭FishBowel

Check out Great locomotive chase - it's a Disney film based on the same true story.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 DaenyB

Watched back to the future for the first time ever last night (I also don't understand how I never saw it before just one of those films I missed!) great 80s fun, exactly what I wanted!

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭OldeCinemaSoz

Diamonds Are Forever.

Just caught up with it on the box via RTE2 HD.

Smart.

Anyways...and as usual...9/10.

:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

DaenyB wrote: »
    Watched back to the future for the first time ever last night (I also don't understand how I never saw it before just one of those films I missed!) great 80s fun, exactly what I wanted!

One of my favorite films plain simple 80,s fun a proper classic.

Paprika: Just finished watching this on Film4 a anime film with amazing visuals it was a compicated feeling and after watching this and Akira in the last week im startign to get the feeling the the general vibe for anime. But I loved it all the same a great storyline, with nice twists and turns and some stunning visuals.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Grasshopper89

I only recently watched...

Jeff Who Lives At Home - Thought it was fantastic!! 10/10 Indie Film!!

The Grey
    - Ive heard people complain about it, but I loved it!!

Killer Joe -
    Sooooo Miss leading Trailer!! Don't want to spoil it but something happens in the film that made me want to leave and never eat chicken again. Terrible Film.

Batman: Dark Knight Rises - Obviously Amazing!! I dont want to focus on the fact the Joker isn't in it cause he was so funny and creepy but Bane as much as I thought Id hate him he was great. Great Film!! This is the Way Batman films should be!! MORE MORE MORE Pleeeeeease!!!

Man On a Ledge - Excellent!! I slagged and slagged it cause of the dumb title like "Snakes on a Plane" - Like how far can the story go out from the title, it's like calling a film "Jack got shot in the leg but survived on Wednesday". ANYWAYS that aside, I was bored and watched it, it was so good.. like very edge of the seat, feeling like your the main character! There's even a really sexy girl in a tight jumpsuit -WOWSER. So it is a must watch for sure, you wont regret it! Great Story.

- Still haven't Seen Snakes on a Plane though.. Don't think I ever will.. stupid film. ... :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Hunger Games - Kinda meh.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Diamonds Are Forever.

Just caught up with it on the box via RTE2 HD.

Smart.

Anyways...and as usual...9/10.

:)

one of the worst Bond movies by far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

I only recently watched...

Jeff Who Lives At Home - Thought it was fantastic!! 10/10 Indie Film!!

Man On a Ledge - Excellent!! I slagged and slagged it cause of the dumb title like "Snakes on a Plane" - Like how far can the story go out from the title, it's like calling a film "Jack got shot in the leg but survived on Wednesday". ANYWAYS that aside, I was bored and watched it, it was so good.. like very edge of the seat, feeling like your the main character! There's even a really sexy girl in a tight jumpsuit -WOWSER. So it is a must watch for sure, you wont regret it! Great Story.

- Still haven't Seen Snakes on a Plane though.. Don't think I ever will.. stupid film. ... :D

Was going to watch Jeff who lives at home but then you said Man on a ledge was excellent :D terrible film which showed potential for the first 20 mins and then it just got crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭MiloYossarian

Jeff Who Lives At Home, I watched that too last night. It was fine. Not really a fan of the Duplass brothers full stop. I call them the Dumbass brothers because I'm funny and clever.

Haywire, one time I pooped in my pants and when I took my pants off what I saw looked a lot like this film. Just joking, just being funny and clever again, it's a theme I'm running with. It was okay.

Carnage, I loved it. I'm a big fan of films like this anyway eg 'Twelve Angry Men', 'Tape', 'Rope.' I think Gary Glitter did the soundtrack for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

Woddle wrote: »
    Was going to watch Jeff who lives at home but then you said Man on a ledge was excellent :D terrible film which showed potential for the first 20 mins and then it just got crap.

Watch Jeff, really good film, just don't take the premise literally

Jason Segal and Ed Helms are brilliant in it. Two very versatile actors

It's almost a feat of genius that Segal, along with Neil Patrick Harris, are able to make HIMYM watchable considering how bad the other characters are

The Raid, forgot about The Raid, it's quite good. Probably better than 'quite' good.

Gone ....and already forgoten. Nah, I actually quite enjoyed it. It was like a growed up thriller as if written by a female teen lit novel writer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

"Circle of Friends" (1995) - Sunday Times promo DVD, 50 cents from a local charity shop. Nice escapist stuff from the late Maeve Binchy. Set in Ireland of the 1950s - which was very well recreated - it's the story of three country girls and their romantic entanglements. Doesn't sound much but it's good fun and despite the miscasting of Chris O'Donnell in one of the lead roles it works. Minnie Driver is excellent as his love interest. Colin Firth is also miscast as the son of the local big house Protestant/Anglo family but who comes across as English rather than Protestant - a common failing in Irish films. Lots of other well known Irish actors (Mick Lally, John Kavanagh, Tony Doyle etc.) give the film an authentic feel to it. 8/10

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,099 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Post deleted for posting link to copyrighted work.

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭StonedParadoX

Winter's Bone is not very good, it's unbelievably brilliant.Watched it on Sat after sky plusing it when it was on Sky Arts ages ago.Have to admit the scene with the
    chainsaw the river
    was tough to watch but brilliantly acted.Kinda weird to see the brother from Eastbound & Down (John Hawkes) as a character like Teardrop but apparently he's even weirer in that thing Martha Marcy May Marlene?

have you watched martha marcy may?.. what did you think of it and what did you think of the impromptu song in the middle?

love the movie and the song

last movie i saw was Trainspotting. I aint seen that film since it came out in 96 so it was as fresh as it was now back then or however you say that phrase
    Jeff Who Lives At Home, I watched that too last night. It was fine. Not really a fan of the Duplass brothers full stop. I call them the Dumbass brothers because I'm funny and clever.

Haywire, one time I pooped in my pants and when I took my pants off what I saw looked a lot like this film. Just joking, just being funny and clever again, it's a theme I'm running with. It was okay.

Carnage, I loved it. I'm a big fan of films like this anyway eg 'Twelve Angry Men', 'Tape', 'Rope.' I think Gary Glitter did the soundtrack for it.

i watched carnage too and was surprised how well it kept going even when you thought it was about to run dry it still kept going and still kept me interested.
    Brilliant
    and like you i love these type of films
    not sure what you'd name the genre but do you know any more films like carnage and 12 angry men?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,959 ✭✭✭✭bnt

I'm halfway through Control at the moment, the biopic of the band Joy Division focusing on singer Ian Curtis. It isn't what I was expecting, in a good way: some of the early scenes and dialogue are extremely funny, and evoke that shambolic "anyone can start a band" idea very well. The actors are actually making the music, not miming, which works because Joy Division weren't really technical musicians either. I know how the story ends, of course, but for now I'm enjoying seeing these characters in action.

For example, the opening act for their first gig (as Warsaw) is a guy named John Cooper Clarke reciting hilarious "poetry". If I tried quoting it here, I'd get banned, but it's on the IMDB Quotes page for the film. :eek:

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 18,916 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

'Forbidden Planet'

This 1950's sci-fi classic was the 'Star Wars' of its day and was/is beloved by nerds, 50's lovers and space geeks everywhere. Featuring a cast that includes the likes of Leslie Neilsen, Anne Francis and Walter Pidgeon, it tells the story of the crew of the spaceship C57D who lands on Altair IV, with a mission to discover what happened to expedition that disappeared 20 years before. They're greeted by a Dr. Morbius and his daughter Altaira (who's named after the planet). Also present is "Robbie the Robot", who went on to be a star in his own right. Morbius isn't happy that the ship has landed, but allows the captain (Neilsen) and some of his crew to visit him carry out what they need to do on the planets surface. Unfortunately for the crew of teh C57D, there is a strange monster also present on the planet, which Morbius says killed the rest of the members of the original expedition 20 years ago. The Captain and his crew must find out what the creature is and how to defeat it.

Despite the somewhat clunky story (even for the 50's) 'Forbidden Planet' works very well, if only within the frame of 50's sci-fi. It still looks quite impressive today, if one takes its age into account and the 2:35.1 "Cinemascope" frame is filled well enough. The (oscar nominated) effects were so good for its time that the full size mock up of the spaceship did the rounds on numerous TV shows for years. Likewise, "Robbie the Robot" turned up again and again until well into the 80's. There's some really terrible and awkardly inserted "romance" moments (for the ladies :D ), but they don't really pull too much from the film.

Its music was innovative too and it was the first time that an all electronic score was used in a film. It suits the whole production perfectly.

When the film was first shown in 1956, it must have blown peoples minds. I can only imagine how people must have felt when they saw it. Probably the same way I felt when I saw 'Star Wars' for the first time in 1977. Its audience is, more than likely, restricted to aforementioned geeks and film fans these days. I'd imagine that most younger people would collapse in a puddle of LOL's if they were sat down in front of it.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Sucker Punch Extended Edition - I watched this out of curiosity more than anything else. When Sucker Punch came out, I was one of the folks who more or less enjoyed it for what it was, so I was curious to see what the "uncut" version featured over the theatrical release.

It's still a flawed film - most of the changes are very minor, an extra couple of seconds here and there - but there are a couple of bigger additions as well. The first one is the "Love Is The Drug" musical sequence, which works really well and is a neat way of establishing the musical element of the film. It definitely should've been in the theatrical release. The other one comes towards the end,
    after Babydoll has decided to sacrifice herself so that Sweetpea can escape
    , and comes off as unintentionally creepy. It provides a much more obvious seque to the final sequence, but doesn't really make sense IMO.

Having watched it again a couple of times after its theatrical release, I still think that it would've been stronger had someone reined in Snyder's music-video tendencies. The core components of the film are fine for the narrative, but he really goes out of his way to spell out every single bit of the plot and this, coupled with the overused slow-motion, drags the film down. (Of course, if I had my way, the film would also end with
    the shot of the hammer and Babydoll's lobotomy, overlaid with the Old Man saying "And just one more thing-", and then cutting to black immediately after the hammer strikes
    . But I'm a nasty person like that :D.)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

The Tall Man (2012) with jessica Alba.
    Jessica Biel!
    Know your Jessicas. :)

Chronicle, It's a really excellent film. I can't believe how much I enjoyed it. Loved it. Having said that I was not looking forward to watching it, so it was the surprise factor as well. Like a live action, low budget Akira. In fact there's no reason to ruin Akira with an American remake now at all, because the makers of Chronicle did it alot better than they're going to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

Saw Ted today.

What a heap of crap!

One of the worst movies I've seen in a long time!

Attenberg

If there's anything that deserves to be called a 'movement' these days, its the so-called Greek New Wave. After seeing three recent Greek films - Dogtooth, Unfair World and now Attenberg - they all have their fair share of unusual visual quirks, emotionally stunted protagonists and deadpan comedy so deadpan it often struggles to be defined as comedy.

Attenberg's surreal first act - opening with two female friends engaging in this absurd parody of kissing, followed by the duo jumping around like animals - suggests this may just be weird for weird's sake. But as the film progresses, it emerges as an unusual, engaging coming of age story that follows Marina's (Ariane Labed) relationship with her 'slut' best friend, dying father and her potential deflowerer (played by Dogtooth director Giorgos Lanthimos). It grows on you as it progresses, especially as director Athina Rachel Tsangari shows herself able to discuss and critique current Greek society in interesting, unexpected ways.

It's a purposefully emotionally cold film, and the quirky visuals and comedy do occasionally overdose on the oddness. Mostly, though, it's a surprisingly smart story about a curious young woman and her bizarre entrance into the 'real world'. It may not resonate with as large an audience as Dogtooth did, but it's well worth a look.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 14 HidePork

Slumber party massacre - as bad as it sounds, an escaped psycho kills off high-school girls with a large power drill.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement