Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What have you watched recently?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,916 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

High Noon - brilliantly entertaining film. A semi real-time delivery, a memorable soundtrack, great cinematography (love that repeated shot of the train track) and some excellent performances (especially from star Gary Cooper) are what draw you in. But the undercurrent of cynicism is what gives it that extra push towards greatness. John Wayne has called the film one of the most 'unAmerican' films ever made, and that's no bad thing. It makes this one of the great stories of one man vs the world, and I'd rank it up there with Rashomon / Yojimbo as the most endearing of their era. It all culminates in an exciting, tense battle that lives up to the rest of the film's urgency. The finely paced eighty-four minutes fly by. A truly great Western.

One of the greatest revisionist westerns ever made. Only watched it a couple of weeks ago myself.

Another great is 'The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance'. If you haven't...you should.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭cml387

High Noon - brilliantly entertaining film. A semi real-time delivery, a memorable soundtrack, great cinematography (love that repeated shot of the train track) and some excellent performances (especially from star Gary Cooper) are what draw you in. But the undercurrent of cynicism is what gives it that extra push towards greatness. John Wayne has called the film one of the most 'unAmerican' films ever made, and that's no bad thing. It makes this one of the great stories of one man vs the world, and I'd rank it up there with Rashomon / Yojimbo as the most endearing of their era. It all culminates in an exciting, tense battle that lives up to the rest of the film's urgency. The finely paced eighty-four minutes fly by. A truly great Western.

One of Hollywood's most famous crane shots, as Coop walks down the street to meet the train,the camera pulls up and backwards to reveal that he is utterly alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Capote and Infamous- both about Truman Capote's research into the killings in Kansas in 1959 which he turned into his seminal novel In Cold Blood. Hoffman's portrayal seems less like a impersonation than Toby Jones's in Infamous does but they're both worth a watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭MiloYossarian

livinsane wrote: »
    Then I watched Picnic at Hanging Rock. Deliciously eerie with some of the strangest moments I've seen on film, without the use of special effects. The incredible pan pipe soundtrack was foremost in creating a dreamlike ethereal effect, and apparently the director placed a wedding veil over the camera lens for certain shots. The ending might frustrate some viewers though!

Picnic At Hanging Rock is such a great film. It's one I'll try not to watch again just in case that I don't like it as much. Scared the crap out of me.

Wrath Of The Titans = Wrath Of The ****eans. Nah, it wasn't all that bad, certainly better than the first one(Not the original).

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭mrmorgan

I watched the women in black last night. It wasnt a bad film with a few jumps during it. I kept waiting for Harry to pull the wand out though ha.

Another one I watched tonight was panic button about these four strangers win a prize to new York but not is all as it seems on the journey there. Well worth a watch

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,173 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

KenSwee wrote: »
    ....And the point of this movie is?
    Luc Besson has become the John Carpenter of this decade; dishing out total crap to all you will watch. Thankfully it will be my last.
    Keep away from the burgers and try making commercials Luc.....

:eek:... Lets get him lads!

... :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,959 ✭✭✭✭bnt

I missed the whole Harold & Kumar thing first time around, and only saw the first film (White Castle) last year. I just watched Guantanamo Bay, and was pretty impressed. It's smart about its dumbness, if that makes sense: Harold & Kumar are not stupid, just clueless; their naive intelligence works against them, in the extraordinary situations in which they find themselves. We get to see Kumar when he's not stoned, and his character makes more sense now.

(It has to be said, though, that trying to light up a bong - even a fancy smokeless bong - on a trans-Atlantic flight can only be described as, well, stupid!)

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭MiloYossarian

Bachelorette It's so good, not as funny as Bridesmaids but certainly as good if not better. Can't wait to buy it. I'll probably watch it at least once or twice a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

bnt wrote: »
    I missed the whole Harold & Kumar thing first time around, and only saw the first film (White Castle) last year. I just watched Guantanamo Bay, and was pretty impressed. It's smart about its dumbness, if that makes sense: Harold & Kumar are not stupid, just clueless; their naive intelligence works against them, in the extraordinary situations in which they find themselves. We get to see Kumar when he's not stoned, and his character makes more sense now.

(It has to be said, though, that trying to light up a bong - even a fancy smokeless bong - on a trans-Atlantic flight can only be described as, well, stupid!)

the first one is stupid fun, its crap, but its entertaining, and it has Neil Patrick Harris playing himself in it :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,098 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Once Upon a Time in Anatolia - pleasantly narcoleptic Turkish police procedural drama. The first half hooked me - the barren landscapes, blinding headlights, surreal banter and ambiguous themes. An extended midpoint stop at a rural village provides some fascinating contrasts and comparisons with the main plot. An almost dreamlike quest through the Turkish mountains as a motley crew search for a dead body. The second half is trickier to get a grasp on, but there's lots to like. There's moments of unexpected black comedy that liven up what often seems like it could be a very dour film indeed. A running plot strand about a woman who just upped and died is referenced throughout, and provides some of the most satisfying and unusual thematic resonances. Bits and pieces certainly test anyone's patience, and some of the revelations and ideas are purposefully vague to an extreme. But it mostly rewards the effort you put into it. There's still plenty of insight after dawn, but the late night sojourn the makes up the film's opening half is the film at its aesthetic best.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

The Hunger Games

Been hearing the hype for months. One of the most talked about films around in 2012

Was good, I liked it but I fail to see what the huge hype was over

The Ox

Swedish film, set in 19th century

To do with crime and punishment and people struggling to survive.
    You could sort of think of the Irish famine

However, the man went into prison, brutal hard labour and he came out fat as a fool, just obese.
    Why did the production team decide to do this?? It was just distracting. Maybe they were trying to contrast starvation outside versus prisoners being fed, I dunno

Good film though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Flight 93

Not to be confused with the Paul Greengrass film United 93.

I've seen both and I think Flight 93 was far better. Smaller budget, made for TV film but it was better then the full blown film with the well known director

Well you all know the story

It was excellently done and I enjoyed it a lot

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 110 ✭✭the_djoker

The Dictator - absolute rubbish! not one funny moment .... just trying too hard and the jokes are sooooo bad.

The Descent - decent horror flick , I was surprised I liked it .

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

The Hunters - a promising horror premise let down by a bad script, excessive use of post-production washout, and bad acting. If you're wondering what an incoherent and rubbish version of the excellent Kill List would be like, this film answers that question. Avoid. (Saw it on Netflix, so at least it didn't cost me much to watch...)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

Eden Lake - Charming idyllic British film about the triumph of community spirit over evil yuppies.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Q_Ball

21 Jump Street - Surprisingly funny. Enjoyed it despite myself.

Man on a ledge - Not great but not bad either. Sam worthingtons accent is atrocious though. The ending was muck but the movie kept me interested for the most part. Ed Harris has aged!

Q_Ball wrote: »
    21 Jump Street - Surprisingly funny. Enjoyed it despite myself.

Man on a ledge - Not great but not bad either. Sam worthingtons accent is atrocious though. The ending was muck but the movie kept me interested for the most part. Ed Harris has aged!

i loved 21 jump street. best comedy i seen in a very long while

• Registered Users Posts: 13,551 ✭✭✭✭briany

Last night I watched Everything Must Go starring Will Ferrell as a recently laid off man who, as a last ditch effort to leave his old life as an alcoholic behind, decides to sell all of his personal possessions. It was an idea that was kind of forced upon him at first since his wife threw all of his stuff into the front garden and his AA sponsor kept on suggesting the idea thereafter.

Not your typical Will Ferrell comedy which is OK by me as I dislike typical Will Ferrell comedies. Actually, I'd call this a straight drama as much as anything. If you enjoyed a film like Punch Drunk Love, there's a good chance you'll enjoy this.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 39 Malown

Compulsion - like Rope with the same story. Two educated guys commit a murder and try to get away with it expect one left his glasses behind.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,012 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

Change Up. Reluctantly watched it with the OH and found it very funny.:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭tim_holsters

Snowtown. The Aussie serial killer film.

I don't think I've been as perturbed and unnerved watching a movie since I dunno maybe Dogtooth but even that had moments of levity but Snowtown is unremittingly bleak from start to finish.

I highly recommend it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭tim_holsters

Double.

anyone here ever see the boondock saints with billy connolly.

its a great film and surprising enough not many people have seen it

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

mrmorgan wrote: »

Yep, and the sequel. ;)

Yep, and the sequel. ;)

great film aint it.

what the sequel like?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭z6vm1dobfnca3x

Senna - Despite my non-existent interest in Formula 1, it turned out to be a fascinating insight into the life of the extraordinarily ambitious Ayrton Senna.

3:10 to Yuma - Had never gotten around to seeing it before. Excellent performances from Russell Crowe and Christian Bale. Plot was full of clever twists and turns.

Ted - Simply outrageous and undoubtedly hilarious. I was surprised that the jokes in the film were a lot funnier than the ones in trailer!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Gee Bag

mrmorgan wrote: »

I rarely ever turn off a film, but I felt compelled to do so with this muck. One of the worst I have ever seen.

There's a great doc called Overnight about the tosser who made the Boondock Saints.

Gee Bag wrote: »
    I rarely ever turn off a film, but I felt compelled to do so with this muck. One of the worst I have ever seen.

There's a great doc called Overnight about the tosser who made the Boondock Saints.

think so ya. im very fussy when it comes to movies but i really enjoyed this one

• Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

I watched The Intouchables for the second time last night, it's a phenomenal film, I really enjoyed it. It's such a feel good film, which tbh I wasn't expecting after I saw the trailer. Honestly, I can't recommend it enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭h2005

Bourne Legacy. Was a big fan of the last 3 but this was muck just the same plot with different actors.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement