Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What have you watched recently?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 42,079 ✭✭✭✭Scorpion Sting

I recently watched The Woman in Black and The Muppets. I thought both were decent, didn't expect the Muppets to be as long as it was - it dragged on a bit in my opinion. I also saw Kung Fu Hustle, thought it was funny and had a lot of cool action sequences.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

2001: A Space Odyssey

Watched this in 1080p. Christ, does this film look good for being nearly 50 years old. Completely mesmirising movie.

Batteries Not Included

80's movie about a group of people living in an apartment block that's been threatened to be knocked down by a complete bastard to make way for skyscrapers. Bunch of little alien robots come along and help save the day.

Harmless, cheesy 80's movie.

Puss In Boots

Just meh. No real laugh out loud moments, a few smirks and that was about it. Not crap, but not particulary good either.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭adox

krudler wrote: »
    Jackie Brown on netflix, havent watched it in years, forgotten how good it is

Still probably my favourite Tarrantino film.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭skeleton_boy

Horrible Bosses - Nothing too original and I found it dragged in places. In saying that it was also entertaining in places, particularly scenes where Charlie Day was centric. Overall somewhat hit and miss but worth a watch.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,143 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Horrible Bosses - Nothing too original and I found it dragged in places. In saying that it was also entertaining in places, particularly scenes where Charlie Day was centric. Overall somewhat hit and miss but worth a watch.

The man's a legend.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭Finneen

Wrong box, silly all-star caper from the 1960s.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭Bipolar Joe

Leaves Of Grass: Edward Norton twice. Not that great, not rubbish either. Just kind of there.

The Winning Season: Sam Rockwell once. Divorced aspiring alcoholic coaches a high school girls basketball team. Sounds not great, but it is. The writer / director James Strouse also wrote Lonesome Jim, a fantastic movie you should all see.

Mystery Team: Brilliant comedy from the Interbutts sketch comedy troupe Derrick Comedy. Three eighteen year old children try to solve a murder mystery.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭loveacca

Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy. Good movie just watched it on DVD

• Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Hugo - charming, heartwarming and superb!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Shane St.

Really enjoyed it and felt it flew by. Any other movies in this ilk people?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

Super 8 - Disappointing, I like the nostalgia , I see what JJ/Spielberg are trying to do - make it appeal to people who grew up
    seeing ET, The Goonies, etc ... but the poor poor story doesn't help it.

the Alien was rubbish and
    creating a ship from all the metal ... cringeworthy
    3/10

Senna - Great Docu film ... and I'm not even into F1 ... but
    fantastic had me rooted. 9/10

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Flicking through Netflix and a friend and we turned on Gojira. Being stubborn I watched until the end. And, being honest, for such a dated, silly film it's actually unusually intelligent and enjoyable. Sure, there's a guy in a ridiculous dinosaur costume and the least persuasive aerial sequence I've ever seen. But it's a thoughtful and moving (if unsubtle) reflection on the Hiroshima / Nagasaki bombs, and the final bittersweet scenes and monologues are actually really well handled. Come for the cheese (death ray!) but this is a far better film than it has any right to be. Plus, Takashi Shimura!

And not a film, but just watched the last episode of Sherlock. Covering the same story as Sherlock Holmes 2, but many, many times more effective. Excellent television, and must admit it really shows up the Guy Ritchie films.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Over the weekend I watched:

Donkey not a bad film, a bit slow at the start but altogether good.

Underworld: Awakening good all rounder film which
    there'll be a sequel for
    , and it kept be entertained all the way though. I liked the fact that the
    dude from the previous one wasn't in it that much, which allowed them to produce a new character

War of the Arrows saw a dubbed english version of this. The dub was pretty good, with the mouths moving when there speaking: so no goldfish mouth moments :P Loved the film, lots of action, and the storyline was a twist of the basic
    girl gets kidnapped, boy kills everything to get girl back
    story, but the twist is very good.

Tower Heist was good, with the twists
    near the end
    nice.

=-=

Oddly enough, the first three were
    kind of the same storyline of girl gets kidnapped, main character rescues girl
    but told differently.

Also saw Puss in Boots a while back (last weekedn, I think?) which was great, and also an english dub of First Squad The Moment of Truth which was friggin loltastic awesome :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

Pathology.
    A horror about pathologists.Its ok, it passed 90 mins.

If a tree falls.
    Its a doc about the earth liberation people.its interesting but I found it hard to have sympathy for them.worth a look though.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

The Grey

Another solid film with Liam Neeson. Definitely not an action movie or whatever it was they tried to market it as. Very much a film of man versus the elements with a bit of wolves thrown in and a slab of philosophy.

Have to say, Neeson's character
    had the worst luck:

Wife dies, presumably.
    He's depressed.
    Decides to kill himself.
    Gets in plane crash.
    Loses all of his buddies during the trek to safety.
    Said trek leads him straight into the den, out of all of the wilderness he could've wandered into
    :pac:

Love the dialogue in it, especially from "fùckin' wolves" Neeson :D

First film of 2012 I thoroughly enjoyed

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭splashthecash

Crazy, Stupid, Love

Found it a very enoyable film with some really funny moments, great cast and a nice little twist towards the end.

Drive

Fantastic, fantastic, fantastic....loved every minute of it. Superb story, music, acting, tension...movie of 2011 for me

P.S. Ryan Gosling is fast becoming my favourite actor.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭Rabidlamb

Celda 211
    http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/cell-211/

Spanish prison riot with twist & turns.
    Just OK, not as engaging as some reviewers would have you believe.
    Prison baddies are a little bit cliched but the premise is engaging for a while.

Overall, 6/10.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 zooropa56

The Butcher Boy

This one was on my 'To Watch' list for many years. I can't believe I waited so long, really loved it. Great performace from Eamon Owens, great story - especially liked the way they protrayed francie gradually falling deeper and deeper into his imaginary world. It only had one enevitable ending!

I have to say that the original theatrical poster and DVD cover really put me off watching it for a long time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 638 ✭✭✭flanders1979

The Rite. Anthony Hopkins exorcism film.
    Don't waste your time like I did. I knew there was an exorcism theme, so I should have known better.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

Southern Comfort

Was on last night and its been years since I saw it so decided to see if it held up........
    Better than I remember. Was probably too young to get it first time around, always viewed it as a dileverence knock off. But thats dismissive, its a fine film in its own right. Some great dialogue and the last 15minutes or so are fantastic. Powers booth is brilliant. He's always cast as the bad guy(which he plays very well)but I think he makes an even better good guy. Well he's more of an anti-hero in this but I think southern comfort was his finest hour. Great score by Ry cooder aswell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭OldeCinemaSoz

the hangover 2

where did it all go wrong? :eek:

i love the original...best laughs i've had in ages...
    but the sequel...?

i began getting querlous after the first half hour as
    nothing much was happening...loads of tedious expostion...
    not a good sign...

then we're into bangkok and where were the laughs?

er, ladyboys...har...har...har... olde news... :rolleyes:

i see the hangover 2 got a 18 cert here...

speaks volumes... :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭stoneill

12 hours of ROOTS on True Movies on Saturday!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

"The Longest Day" (1962) on VHS - FREE from a local charity shop! At 172 minutes I broke it in two sessions but it didn't affect the continuity despite a gap of several days. As it says on the box, a cast of 43 (!) International stars, a budget of over $10 million and with 23,000 British and American troops used in the main battle scenes of the D Day landings - no mean production. The stars include such icons as Robert Mitchum, John Wayne, Henry Fonda, Rod Steiger, Richard Burton etc.etc.. It's in black and white which, to me anyway, suits WWII movies better than colour and never flags during the marathon production. If you haven't seen it, do, but don't expect gory beach scenes like those in "Saving Private Ryan" - in the 1960s the movie going public liked to keep their food down. :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

just watched Save the Green Planet

I'd forgotten how sad this movie gets

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭Ricardo G

Inbetweeners the movie, what a load of rubbish, worst acting, silly storylines and a VERY overated film...

Limitless, a great watch, one of those movies you hate to see an end to

• Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

juast watched Jackie Brown, only tarantino film i havent seen, another great film from him, dunno why it took me so long to watch,

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,143 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Watched two documentaries on Neyflix the past two nights.

Bustin' Down the Door: This is about the birth of professional surfing in the 70's. Its a pretty well made documentary, moves a long at a good pace, has a good story and is even pretty moving in places. It tells the story of a group of 6 Australians and South African surfers who moved to Hawaii's north shore to try and make a career out of their sport. Worth a look even if you're not a surfer. Narrated by Ed Norton.

Pearl Jam 20: Thought this was awesome. Cameron Crowe directed chronicle of the last twenty years of Pearl Jam. Great music through out, great band and a pretty damn good film. Maybe I'm biased because I've been a fan since I was a nipper but can't recommend it enough. Some of the unseen footage, particularly the Singles promo party, is pretty amusing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭skeleton_boy

The Curious Case of Benjamin Button - The tale of a man (Brad Pitt), who is born old and dies young. The film looks at identity, loss of loved ones and relationships through an unusual premiss. Pitt I felt was superb and the make-up some of the best I've see. However I felt the love story was very "Hollywood" and this film may be best enjoyed by an older audience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Watched Inglorious Basterds, not overly impressed, personally think Tarantino peaked at Pulp Fiction, didn't lilke Jackie Brown much, and Kill Bill vol 1 and 2 were a lot of style over substance.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭Finneen

Bend of the river - famous Western with Stewart tracking the men who left him behind in the mountains.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement