Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What have you watched recently?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭OldeCinemaSoz

POSEE just finishing up on good ol' TG4.

Always a good cowboy on there when there's feck all
    else on the other channels... :rolleyes:

With The Dern and The Douglas in the cast
    you couldn't go far wrong.

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,341 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

kryogen wrote: »
    Haha I have actually be thinking the same myself! Cant believe Im considering it but I am more then likely gonna end up seeing it!

I'm goin to see it tomorrow, i liked phantom menace, the kid who played anakin was corny as fuck and jar jar probably should have been shot dead in the first few seconds of the movie but i thought liam neeson was great in it and the final fight seen was fairly decent

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

I agree Neeson was good alright, and I thought Darth Maul could have been such a great character, but the film just sicked balls overall.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

I think Darth Maul was the best thing about the prequels and at the same time I think they could have done more with him.

Dempsey wrote: »
    I think Darth Maul was the best thing about the prequels and at the same time I think they could have done more with him.

I feel the exact same, think he was a potentially excellent character, was very good as it was, could have been so much more though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,971 ✭✭✭teednab-el

Watched Sydney(1996) the other night. Class. Samuel L Jackson was good in it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

The Iron Lady

I read some terrible reviews on this but I thought it was realy quite good
    I love Iain Glen in anything, the man can do no wrong. Only has a minor role

The young Welsh actress who plays Thatcher was good and quite pretty

Jim Broadbent was just charming, playing the fool and messing around

Yes, could have done with more flashbacks and less scenes in the house. The trailer is not like the film at all

But I enjoyed it anyway.
    Found it a lot better then J Edgar

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭stealinhorses

Chronicle - started off really well, but the plot was never really that strong and near the end it became a bit messy. Very original, but I thought it could have been much better.

Man on a Ledge - this was pretty bad IMO. If this was a film about a man actually wanting to commit suicide by jumping off a building, it could have been really good, but as one can figure out from the trailer, it ends up being really poor really quickly.

88 Minutes - another average B-class thriller with Al Pacino. Nothing worth mentioning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭Mindkiller

P4DDY2K11 wrote: »
    but i thought liam neeson was great in it and the final fight seen was fairly decent

Liam Neeson never really did anything in it though. All I remember of him is standing about delivering his lines like a robot. But to be fair, so did everyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Mindkiller wrote: »
    Liam Neeson never really did anything in it though. All I remember of him is standing about delivering his lines like a robot. But to be fair, so did everyone else.

that 70min redlettermedia review of episode 1 does a brilliant deconstruction of why Neesons character is completely pointless, he's good in the role but just looks bored, filming episode nearly put him off acting apparently.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Yeah, Qui-Gon originally only had a very small role in the film. But Lucas saw Rob Roy or something and decided to give Neeson Obi-Wan's role. He just did a find and replace on the script to change the names. This is why Obi-Wan is standing around doing nothing most of the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭irishh_bob

in fairness to big liam , you can type that **** but try saying it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭sillo

Tree of Life: Well I can certainly see how this one has been divisive! What an enigma of a movie. The genesis scene was so ridiculously gorgeous - it reminded me of DA's The Fountain, one of my favourite movies ever. Not many people have the guts to tackle such huge theme's and yet keep it so personal at the same time - all in all, I really enjoyed this movie even if it did feel like it was lagging in places.

Take Shelter: Chilling tale of a life that just completely implodes. The lead actor delivers an incredible performance, portraying intense internal struggle with a classic understated quality which is really hard to nail down. Really liked this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Blazing Saddles (1974) what can one say? :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

mike65 wrote: »
    Harumph!

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭OldeCinemaSoz

Side stepping the STAR WARS fanboy drivel, :rolleyes:

The "last film I ever saw" (kissing the pink
    wasn't it?) was CARRY ON ABROAD.

Always a good laugh. Just like most of the series.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Gosford Park

Years since I watched this. It's such a great film with an amazing cast. Altman at his finest.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,971 ✭✭✭teednab-el

Watched The Mexican tonight on tg4. Good.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,781 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Moneyball - watched this since the Rugby was called off.. and there wasn't a frozen field in sight for the whole film! :)

Really enjoyed it - Pitt was excellent (as per usual) and Hill was great too. Hoffman felt under-used but was decent.

Cracking script by Aaron Sorkin too. Recommended!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Hmmm...overrated sh1te? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 43,781 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Tony EH wrote: »
    Hmmm...overrated sh1te? :D
    Not in the slightest IMO..

.. a true comedy classic!

I'm not particularly a Mel Brooks fan but Blazing Saddles is fantastic!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Basq wrote: »
    Not in the slightest IMO..

.. a true comedy classic!

I'm not particularly a Mel Brooks fan but Blazing Saddles is fantastic!

Ah well...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,231 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Side stepping the STAR WARS fanboy drivel, :rolleyes:

The "last film I ever saw" (kissing the pink
    wasn't it?) was CARRY ON ABROAD.

Always a good laugh. Just like most of the series.

I can never understand what you are saying...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭GAAman

Birneybau wrote: »
    I can never understand what you are saying...

Agreed, it is like one person is having a two sided conversation and only saying every second sentence aloud

I watched Spaceballs I have a huge soft spot for the classic farces and this is no different. Too many quotes I would be typing all night!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

teednab-el wrote: »
    Watched The Mexican tonight on tg4. Good.

Watched it last night too but as I was online at the same time I missed some of the subtleties and will have to buy it on DVD to fully enjoy - bit like the Bourne Trilogy and the Matrix. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Paddy Samurai

Belleville Rendez-vous

Mad stuff,but beautiful art work.Well worth a look.
    While it does not feature any sex or violence, Belleville Rendez-Vous is animation solely for adults. Shot through with sadness and satire, nostalgia and complexity, French animator Chomet's first full-length feature mixes a cracking, comedic (practically dialogue-free) adventure yarn with a hymn for times lost into something unique and cherishable

http://www.empireonline.com/reviews/reviewcomplete.asp?DVDID=9795

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

The Warrior - thought it was brilliant. Nick Nolte is superb in it, brilliant final fight also.

Then watched (Hostel 3) no idea how we have it, must have been a rental by the missus, woeful film, one of the worst I've seen. Token gore, token story.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

The Warrior - thought it was brilliant. Nick Nolte is superb in it, brilliant final fight also.

Then watched (Hostel 3) no idea how we have it, must have been a rental by the missus, woeful film, one of the worst I've seen. Token gore, token story.

• Advertisement

Genius

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement