Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What have you watched recently?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 508 ✭✭✭craftypaddy

two films starring tim roth before he went to america to become the star we all know

made in britain story of a skin head rebel
    meantime story of a family struggling on the dole in uk

both films are only half decent but the acting of tim roth is brilliant, two complete different characters played very well

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Once Upon a Time in Anatolia

A fascinating and very slow-moving police procedural that takes place over a 24 hour period as a doctor, a prosecutor and a police chief lead the search for a murdered corpse through the dark and desolate highlands of Anatolia.

My first introduction to Ceylan’s work was his previous film, the excellent Three Monkeys, which I distinctly remember raving about on here a few years ago. I also liked Climates, though not as much. This is even more cerebral and minimalist than that his previous films. But it still features Ceylan’s trademark long takes and wide angles of vast empty landscapes, as well as some incredibly night-time digital photography that would dazzle Michael Mann. He also chooses to forgo music entirely in exchange for a extremely ambient soundtrack that balances silence with the natural sounds of wind and rustling trees.

It’s probably too slow for most people and it ends on a very mysterious note, but for those willing to give it the time, the film offers an compelling and atmospheric meditation on death, guilt and human nature. I think I probably need to see it again to offer final judgment on it, but I thought it was a superb.

I saw it at JDIFF, but it opens in the IFI next month.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Ricardo G wrote: »
    Limitless, what a load of rubbish, worst acting, silly storylines and a VERY overated film...

This seems to go better.

The Inbetweeners was disappointing to say the least, but sure you couldnt have been expecting too much were you? it had its moments but was overall poor, the usual standard for tv shows that try to do films

Limitless, could have been so much better, really bad film all things considered

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Re Watched Star Wars episode 5: The Empire Strikes Back a couple of days ago as the missus had never seen it (she had never seen any SW film up till last week) so Im giving her a crash course in the ways of the force.

Really happy too cause you would forget how good some of these films were!

Empire is excellent, a great chapter in a great story, looking forward to Return of The Jedi tomorrow night :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭McGrath5

Senna I have zero interest in F1, but oh my god what a film! If you haven't seen this, watch it! Cannot recommend this enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭adox

The Woman In Black Just about watchable. Very thin storyline and characterization, but enough jumpy moments to justify the watch.

Was hoping for so much more.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Caveman1

Watched Tower Heist & Jack & Jill over the weekend - both crap , thats all I really have to say about them. On a brighter note I finally got around to watching 300, What a film cant believe im only after watching it after 6 years

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

"Gunfight at the OK Corral" 1956 - the one with Burt Lancaster (Wyatt Earp), Kirk Douglas (Doc Holliday) and a very young Denis Hopper. Still compares very favourably with "Tombstone" and, for me, is Kirk Douglas' finest hour. Part.1. of a three part DVD box set which includes "Hud" and "Once Upon a Time in the West". €3.00 from Chernobyl Children charity shop - you couldn't beat it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭Finneen

Out of the past - lush and famous film noir but overrated.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Just watched The Bang Bang Club on Netflix, excellent film that didn't get a huge amount of promotion on release. Shot in South Africa itself about the bunch of white photographers who took pictures of the horrific group violence (hard to watch some of the scenes which are very graphic) that took place just before the first interracial elections in April 1994, extremely well directed and shot with big scenes with hundreds of extras, I thought it did, the brilliant (non fiction) book of the same name its based on, justice. No stars apart from Ryan Phillippe but all very good especially the guy who plays Kevin Carter (it also covers his trip to Sudan where he took that (in)famous picture of the starving girl stalked by a vulture), it asks awkward questions about machismo and the effect taking non stop photos of horrific murders has on a person. If you don't know the story I wont go into anymore detail but suffice to say
    not all the main characters survived
    . 4/5.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭Finneen

High noon - overrated Western that looks like it had two directors with some of it looking like a TV show.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,547 ✭✭✭billyhead

Just watched 310 to Yuma (the film with Christian Bale). Thought it was a very good western-Highly recommend it

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

A Quiet Life

A slow burning crime drama about a former Italian gangster living as a chef in Germany whose dark past catches up with him when his estranged son arrives at his doorstep, forcing the old man to take action to preserve his "quiet life". Servillo is excellent in the lead role and the film is a well executed character study of a man trying to escape his violent past, but the ending feels botched and the plot is far too heavily trodden to be anything but predictable.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭OldeCinemaSoz

DEATH WISH II

The Winner could only deliver a gem like this;
    revenge and payback at it's finest with a rape scene
    that puts even the fanboy
    notorious I SPIT ON YOUR GRAVE to shame...

A REAL Winning formula. :)

9/10

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Warrior

Really enjoyable film if a little cheesy in places. I quite enjoyed the little excerpts of footage from ESPN's MMA Live programme throughout which really added some nice authenticity to the whole thing.

Nick Nolte as the father was perfectly cast and did a tremendous job.
    The scene in t's he hotel room when he's listening to Moby Dick whilst stumbling about drunk was pretty moving and rather upsetting. Despite the back story of him being an alcoholic and wife beater, it was at that moment when I started feeling quite sorry for him.

Action is really edge of your seat and adrenaline pumping stuff.

Highly recommended.

Grown Up's

KILL IT!!! KILL IT WITH FIRE!!!! You would think a film with Chris Rock, Kevin James and Adam Sandler in it would produce some sort of laugh...

Not once did I laugh. Awful film, awful dialogue.... Just awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

Take Shelter

Loved it. I love Michael Shannon and he once again does not disappoint. Fantastic actor.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,959 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Finally saw Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy yesterday: but I missed the first two minutes or so that showed the return of Prideaux to London after the shooting. Without that crucial information, I basically saw a different film to the one everyone else saw - so I have an excuse to see it again. :cool:

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Con Air - one of the dumbest films I've ever seen. But it actually embraces the stupidity, which makes a change. It's an awful film in most traditional senses - especially the woeful soundtrack - and cheesy as hell. But it hit some sort of spot, and suited the mood I was in.

Nicholas Cage is beyond ridiculous in it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Children Of Men:

This DVD had been gathering dust in my collection so took it for a spin last night. Pretty decent film.

It reminded me a bit of 'V For Vendetta' in that it's set in a futuristic British facist society minus the super hero aspect to it.

It's a pretty entertaining film overall and really excellently shot. Camera work is sublime particularly
    in the car driving through the forest and hordes of people begin attacking the vehicle and the camera does a full 360 motion from inside the car to get the full scale of what's happenign. Very well done.

Despite the ongoing war, I like how Clive Owen's character just stays the same throughout without the need to turn into some uber hero type character. He remains reckless and relies on basic instinct. He's quite a believable character in that he's a "normal" guy and just got caught up in the ravages of civil unrest.

Excellent film overall. I don't really have a clue about the in's and out's of camera work and how to get the best possible shot but it's really striking and excellently done so that it keeps the audience in the centre of all the action.

Recommended.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,144 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

That_Guy wrote: »
    Children Of Men:

Despite the ongoing war, I like how Clive Owen's character just stays the same throughout without the need to turn into some uber hero type character. He remains reckless and relies on basic instinct. He's quite a believable character in that he's a "normal" guy and just got caught up in the ravages of civil unrest.

Not to mention he's in flip-flops for the entire film too :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Con Air - one of the dumbest films I've ever seen. But it actually embraces the stupidity, which makes a change. It's an awful film in most traditional senses - especially the woeful soundtrack - and cheesy as hell. But it hit some sort of spot, and suited the mood I was in.

Nicholas Cage is beyond ridiculous in it though.

I love how a chase through a tunnel in Vegas (which doesnt exist) leads to a character being flung onto a rock smashing....thing in a scrapyard, it makes NO sense.

Con Air is what The Expendables should have been. I miss when Bruckheimer made manly action movies involving skull crushing and cheesy one liners about bunnies. He only makes kiddie crap now.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Moon

A must see film for anyone like their science fiction. A character driven film in which Sam Rockwell gives an incredible performance. They squeezed the life out of their £5m budget, I believe it will stand the test of time better than most sci fi films.

The Grey

Liam Neeson vs. nature & wolves is what they marketed it as and that what it pretty much is but more. It has good characters and a philosophical edge to it that makes you think. The plane crash was done brilliantly too. Well worth watching

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Funglegunk

Con Air is what The Expendables should have been. I miss when Bruckheimer made manly action movies involving skull crushing and cheesy one liners about bunnies. He only makes kiddie crap now.

"You ain't gettin' neah, mah dawdah."

I absolutely love Con Air as well, have to say. Wonderfully entertaining silliness. And Malkovich is great in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,881 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

Terminator 2: Judgement Day

As good as ever. Watched the original Terminator last week so had to watch T2 yesterday on me day off, of course!

The first time I saw it, I was maybe 9/10? My pal was staying in my house and his Dad rang to say he'd rented T2. Despite our pleas, he wouldn't drop it round to us (cos he wanted to watch it himself, naturally!) so we legged it round to his house straight after breakfast the next morning, pulled the curtains in his front room and watched it... with his Da goin "wait til ye see this bit... wait til ye see what he does here..." every two minutes :D

Awesome movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,959 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Con Air was the first film Bruckheimer made after the death of his friend and colleague Don Simpson; things were never quite the same after that, I suppose.

Last night I watched Caché (Hidden), one of those films beloved of critics. It was OK, I suppose. I had to consult the review thread to try and see what I missed, especially regarding the apparently limp ending. I thought more could have been made of the apparent subjectivity of the actors, though the implication is that it was all real e.g.
    Georges tells Anne that the police confirmed that Majid really did commit suidice - but can we trust his version of events?
    Well, I can now say I've seen it, but I don't know whether I learned anything from it.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭Goldstein

Tintin: It was actually a fairly brilliant adventure movie. Wasn't expecting it to be anywhere as entertaining as it was. Snowy the dog was fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭OldeCinemaSoz

BLUE THUNDER

Forget the rubbish tv series, this one delivers the goods.
    A brilliant early '80s action adventure with the legendary Roy
    Scheider and bad boy Malcolm Mcdowell.

Tremendous stuff and it's just gotta be seen on a big ginormous screen
    like the Savoy 1. :cool:

"Catch you later!!!" ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭Tindie

St.Francisville.Experiment.2000
    I liked the history part of story and found that interesting and the acting was decent for a found footage movie, one of the early ones.

The movie is very slow burner at times but the ending was really good and surprising,

There some good tension at times but not all times and there were a few to many fake scare scene added to movie, Like cat jumping out of no were and boy saying BOO! and some one scared of a fart!
    With all that out there way,

I think it's worth watching movie 4 out of 10

There are much worst movie then but there a lot more better ones as well!

Class of Nuke 'Em High (1986)
    That was a lot of fun to watch, really enjoyed it, really funny,
    Movie was so 80's , with the effect, i was really good!
    8 /10

The Women in black (1989)
    Start of really slow, had some good tense moments, the bed scene was just really odd but the ending was bit chilling gave me the chills.
    Acting was Great from everyone. I give this movie 6/7 out of 10

Chronicle (2012) Good , mostly fun movie but god the Andrew Dad was nuts!
    What hell was wrong with him.
    Anyway, I enjoyed the rest of movie and really entertaining.
    8 out of 10

Stag Night (2009) This movie was hard to watch because of the Cameraman, as it was shaking way to much for normal movies, Even Chronicle had less Shaky Camera compare to this movie.

This movie is worth watching, I think, it dose have bloody moment here and there and the acting was not bad at all but that's about it,

At the end of the movie, I laughed after last scene, i found so bad that it was funny.
    4 out of 10

The Women in Black(2012)
    It seem to be a lot more darker then old version. (Which i only saw two
    Tuesday ago for THE first time and I loved it )
    But i can not say the same thing about this movie at all.
    Found the movie really dull most of the times, this movie had a even slower start then the original and did not find any of the scene scary at all or
    creepy.
    There was to many fake scares scenes in this movie, which got really boring quick and also made the scary scene feel really forced also it felt like the movie was missing half the story.
    Did connect with Dan in this movie at all, most of time never say anything and never talks, What point of dog in this movie, in old version Guy and Dog connected but in this movie, it dose even seem say anything to dog and then dog goes missing, i dose even care.
    The ending just make the movie even worse, 4 out of 10

The original (7/10) is far more superior then this remake, i felt connected with main guy in that movie and found it more intense and creepy.
    There was a lot more of a story in there as well
    The ending of that movie was chilling as hell and gave me the creeps for a few days
    Much better this silly ending they had in this remake!

Dead Dudes in the House (1991)

I have no idea what to say about it!

Did not think it was a funny or even that fun to watch ( which I thought it would be) , it was a strange one,

I though it wound be a lot more gory then it was however there were some good gory scenes.

Evil old lady killing teens and then teens come back from dead acting like normal humans and kill there friends.

Acting in this movie was suitable for these kinda of movie.

The evil old lady was A little creepy :P

I have no idea what to rate this movie at all.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭duckysauce

Dempsey wrote: »
    Moon

A must see film for anyone like their science fiction. A character driven film in which Sam Rockwell gives an incredible performance. They squeezed the life out of their £5m budget, I believe it will stand the test of time better than most sci fi films.

rockwell was amazing, on a side note James Zabiela (dj) did an essential mix based on the movie which was also crackin.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement