Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What have you watched recently?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Ruu wrote: »
    Dark Crystal, some of the oddest creatures I've ever seen. I see there is a sequel in pre-production.

To do the sequel in CGI would be the greatest insult to Henson and his crew's work. Not the greatest fantasy tale I recall but definitely one that shows an incredible amount of work went into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

Unthinkable. Excellent, excellent, excellent film. Truly a masterpiece in real life thriller genre.

i was stunned by this film. I non-stop thinking from time to time of 'what would i do if i am in that situation?'. too many decidions making blow my head -

this film is really unthinkable. (bad pun:P)

edit: btw, i love you Samuel Jackson, why are you always soooo gooddd?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭MickShamrock

Deathwatch - Pretty boring. Felt like I'd seen something similar before. Definitely will never watch again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 Limerick3

Alice in Wonderland on Bluray, the new Johnney Depp one. Its ok, not really my type of film

• Registered Users Posts: 3,170 ✭✭✭Ridley

Duggy747 wrote: »
    To do the sequel in CGI would be the greatest insult to Henson and his crew's work. Not the greatest fantasy tale I recall but definitely one that shows an incredible amount of work went into it.

Apparently it'll be a mix.

http://muppet.wikia.com/wiki/Power_of_the_Dark_Crystal (Possible spoilers)

Yes, it's a wiki but they've sourced their stuff. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,151 ✭✭✭rednik

Watched Seven on blu ray today. Great transfer with both picture and sound. I haven't watched it in a few years and it is a great film.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

Finally watched The Good, The Bad and The Ugly (I know, for shame) all the way through, loved it.
    Most Badassiest of all Westerns!

Toy Story 3 and the short Day and Night, amazing stuff from Pixar again.

And Waiting, with Ryan Reynolds and Justin Long, it was ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

The Thin Blue Line. Wasn't my favourite doc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

-Meant 'Robbie Coltrane', not Carlyle, as pointed out previous. Cheers, man.

I am literally nearly after having a combination of wetting myself, choking and having a heart attack from laughing at The Naked Gun. Clever it ain't, but funny, it most certainly is... The one scene where he is trying to sneak into an office and ends up burning the whole place down is worth it.

10/10

• Registered Users Posts: 4,053 ✭✭✭jimbling

Audition:

A friend of a friend recommended this movie some time ago. I eventually got around to watching it last night. I went in knowing nothing at all about it.

Oh, Dear GOD..... it is disturbing to a whole knew level. I, in general, am not a horror or a gore fan. I have extremely vivid dreams at times and I don't like to fuel them with gruesome or twisted ****. Well...... I'm now all set for nightmares for the foreseeable future :D

Looked it up after and found this on wikipedia....
    Wiki wrote:
    Audition had its share of audience walk-outs. When shown at the 2000 Rotterdam Film Festival, one enraged female viewer confronted Miike by shouting at him: "You're evil!"

During uncensored members-only shows at the Irish Film Institute in Dublin in 2001, some patrons collapsed in apparent shock. One audience member was rushed to the St. James's Hospital but later discharged himself.

I don't know if I would recommend this movie, but if you're into jap horrors etc then it is definitely one to watch. Maybe it is worth a watch just to be put through one of the most unwatchable scenes ever put on screen. I spent majority of it looking through my fingers :cool:

Also, I'm still a bit confused about some aspects of it, so if any movie buff could explain it, please pm me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,449 ✭✭✭blastman

Despicable Me (in 3-D!). There were some good laughs in it, and the minions are great. I want my own minions!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,758 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

blastman wrote: »
    Despicable Me (in 3-D!). There were some good laughs in it, and the minions are great. I want my own minions!

Well in today's climate if you can afford to pay someone minimum wage, congrats you can afford to have your very own minion! :p

OT, I saw Frozen recently, good film, very suspenseful and thought out, I enjoyed it, even if it was slow in parts and something seemed to be lacking something overall. 6/10

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭padma

Just watched "the kid" based on a true story, quite a good film, very sad at places, about a young guy picked on all his life.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1371160/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Asphyxia

I watched "Drag Me to Hell" last night it wasn't bad but It wasn't WOW either and pretty ridiculous in some parts considering it was meant to have been a horror. :confused:

Pocketfizz wrote: »
    I watched "Drag Me to Hell" last night it wasn't bad but It wasn't WOW either and pretty ridiculous in some parts considering it was meant to have been a horror. :confused:

It's not to be viewed as a traditional horror but rather it's a throw back to the splatter films of the 80s. It's comparable ion tone ot classics such as Evil Dead 2, Re-Animator, Frankenhooker, etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭padma

Also saw "Red" good film too

Vampires Suck - Made me laugh a good few times. It's a spoof, what more can you expect! I liked the two leads better than the two leads in the actual Twilight movies! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭SarahBM

HAIRSPRAY

went to see the show in the New Theatre in Oxford, and I had to watch the movie again when I got home. amazing. so funny!

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Emirates121

Saw Savage a couple of weeks :eek:

Thought the acting was a fair city standard to be fair , but some of the most brutal violence scenes iv ever seen ...

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Emirates121

couple of weeks back i meant .., forgive me first post and all that :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

Imitation of life - '50s women's weepie classic.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,033 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

couple of weeks back i meant .., forgive me first post and all that :D

Ahh, the rough and tumble of the first post!!:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,755 ✭✭✭A V A

watched killers with katherine heigle and thought it was great !!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Saw Buried last Wednesday, excellent film

• Registered Users Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭tim_holsters

Just watched She's Out Of My League, as the title suggests it's a gormless geek verses gorgeous girl type film.

I wasn't expecting much but it had it's funny moments and was really quite sweet. I rather liked it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭fillefatale

Boys Don't Cry, absolutely loved it, wasn't quite prepared for the amount of sexual violence, but it really made on impact on me.

Cry Baby, fantastic, hilarious John Waters film! Loved every moment!

Haha, two similar sounding films!

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭[Rasta]

4.3.2.1. - quite a cool movie, I must say I really enjoyed it.
    Blessed and Cursed - kinda random but funny out too :pac:

Jonah hex or whatever, absolutely rubbbbbbbish
    Unthinkable, I nearly died of boredom... jeez
    Predators, I couldnt expect much could I? haha
    the last seven - Its supposed to be a horror? pointless movie, doesnt work imo.
    The final - maybe if I was on acid, I might give it a 3/10 then.
    The Chosen one - worthless waste of time.
    The contract - most movies with morgan freeman are epic, this is an epic fail.
    The traveler - I dont see how these movies get anywhere.
    Black death - atrocious.
    Kandahar break - I expected a little more, was rather disappointed

Yes, I have watched quite a few movies recently :P
    most of which have been an utter waste of time :(

Defendor - Had it's moments, but wasn't as funny as I was expecting it to be. Not nearly as good as Kick-Ass.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,961 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Yesterday I recommended a film on TV before I saw it myself - such is the reputation that Bad Day at Black Rock has. Spencer Tracy, Robert Ryan, Ernest Borgnine, Lee Marvin, directed by John Sturges. It's a kind of Film Noir, but in a Western setting: a small desolate town in the middle of nowhere. It's 1945, the train stops at Black Rock for the first time in 4 years, and a quiet one-armed man (Tracy) gets off. His welcome lasts about two minutes, since he asks about a Japanese-American farmer who lives locally, and in the time it takes him to walk to the hotel, the town bullies are stalking him like hyenas. The suspense is incredible, but our hero has a few tricks up his empty sleeve ... :cool:

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18 legrandemac

Wall St. Money Never Sleeps.
    Very average, was expecting much better. The movie didnt quite know where it wanted to go and tried to mix estranged relationships and a love story with coroporate greed and failed miserably at doing all three. Shia Lebouf was seriously miscast! Michael Douglas was the only redeeming feature and did admirably (rather tragic looking at it now when considering his current condition). The movie couldnt be saved though and I believe the once legendary Oliver Stone has seriously lost his touch!
    5/10

Winter's Bone
    Pretty good, not quite as good as some film snobs like to believe but very interesting peak at the Ozark mountain lifestyle so removed from our own. Slow moving and difficult to follow at times. The mannerisms and dialogue were almost alien and the bleak landcape both depressing and mesmerising at the same time. Despite its slow pace the movie is suspenseful and keeps the viewer on edge most of the way through. Excellent performance by Jennifer Lawerence and hope to see more good stuff from her. Some people call this style of movie miserabilist because it focuses on very bleak, tragic, impoverished themes! It is, but to be honest its a refreshing contrast to the usual Hollywood drivle.
    7/10

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement