Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The religious come a' knockin

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

My gf came upon these a few years back outside of trinity college. The Asian girl stopped her and asked if she'd give her a hand with her assignment because she couldn't read it properly. She then had her basically reading bible passages, and it was only when the Asian girl started asking her odd questions and things like, "Who is the mother?" that she realised that this girl was just an odd bible-thumper with a focus on this "God is female too" thing.

I've only ever encountered real life religion spam once in my adult life. Just told the JW's that "I have no interest in having this discussion" and they promptly left without fuss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,045 ✭✭✭Húrin

LZ5by5 wrote: »
    Yup, how dare people be pissed off when they are told they are sinners for living a life that doesn't harm anyone else.
    If we dismissed everything that pissed us off then we would be quite ignorant. For instance, the fact that global warming is happening is something that pisses a lot of people off for various reasons. But that doesn't mean that it's legitimate to use that annoyance to close their mind to that message.
    Dades wrote: »
    It's funnier how "worship" is such a deal breaker for an all-loving creator.

Aren't mods supposed to be broadly in favour of keeping threads on-topic?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

Húrin wrote: »
    Aren't mods supposed to be broadly in favour of keeping threads on-topic?
    Y'arr they be more guidelines than rules. pirate_wink.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

If we dismissed everything that pissed us off then we would be quite ignorant. For instance, the fact that global warming is happening is something that pisses a lot of people off for various reasons. But that doesn't mean that it's legitimate to use that annoyance to close their mind to that message.

On the one hand we have Global Warming, something that could be potentially disastrous for our planet and its' inhabitants. On the other hand we have Homosexuality, which is not a threat to human life.

LZ5by5 wrote: »
    On the one hand we have Global Warming, something that could be potentially disastrous for our planet and its' inhabitants. On the other hand we have Homosexuality, which is not a threat to human life.

Does this mean that only facts which have life-or-death dimensions are true? I don't see how your post refutes my point. It's quite obvious that I wasn't saying the two issues are similar. However, the reaction to dismiss them is pychologically similar if not idential.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭Stercus Accidit

Does this mean that only facts which have life-or-death dimensions are true? I don't see how your post refutes my point. It's quite obvious that I wasn't saying the two issues are similar. However, the reaction to dismiss them is pychologically similar if not idential.

Can you tell us then for a "fact" if homosexuality is wrong and needs to be cured then?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

seamus wrote: »
    religion spam

I like that term. Expect to see me using it a lot in future.

Can you tell us then for a "fact" if homosexuality is wrong and needs to be cured then?

For the purpose of this discussion it doesn't matter. My point is that it's stupid to dismiss an idea merely because it pisses you off. It is fine to dismiss it if the idea is false.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Hurin, we all enjoy a little off topicness once threads have served their purpose. You seem to be involved in plenty of it yourself.

And let's forget it was your post that prompted the shift.

For the purpose of this discussion it doesn't matter. My point is that it's stupid to dismiss an idea merely because it pisses you off. It is fine to dismiss it if the idea is false.

Perhaps it pisses them off because it is false?

• Advertisement

Galvasean wrote: »
    Perhaps it pisses them off because it is false?
    That's fair enough if you have the confidence to be sure that claims are false.

That's fair enough if you have the confidence to be sure that claims are false.

Considering the claim in discussion is that homosexuality can and needs to be cured by prayer, yes I (and others here) am extremely confident that said claims are false.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

It also stands to reason that if homosexuality can be "cured" through any means, then it can also be "given" to a person. As a bonafide ridiculously heterosexual male, I am more than willing to submit myself as a guinea pig so that religious people can "give" me gay and prove their claims.

That is, because I'm 101% confident that they will fail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

Yes because those two things (global warming and homosexuality) are the same thing :rolleyes:

You are ignoring why people "close their mind" to your religion's message. I think if the reason to believe global warming was happening was "God says so" a lot of people would close their mind to that as well

seamus wrote: »
    I am more than willing to submit myself as a guinea pig so that religious people can "give" me gay and prove their claims.
    You might not be so enthusiastic when they send Ted Haggard over to your house to "give you gay". :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Goduznt Xzst

I'd personally like for Hurin to come a'knocking. What fun that would be :rolleyes:

Me: *opens door* Good Morning!
    Hurin: Is it though? Your have clearly been brainwashed by your social constructivism to wish me a good morning when in fact you can't know whether or not this morning will be good. Further, your wish for my morning to be good shows your moral universalism, a proof for the meta-ethical divine command theory.
    Me: *closes door*

• Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭swiss

seamus wrote:
    My gf came upon these a few years back outside of trinity college. The Asian girl stopped her and asked if she'd give her a hand with her assignment because she couldn't read it properly. She then had her basically reading bible passages, and it was only when the Asian girl started asking her odd questions and things like, "Who is the mother?" that she realised that this girl was just an odd bible-thumper with a focus on this "God is female too" thing.
    That sounds like the same group alright, and possibly the same person as I encountered.

This has gotten me thinking about the wider context of people calling around to the door in order to push a particular agenda, whether it be to get you to vote a particular way, to buy a product or service, to get you to donate to charity, or as in this case to proselytise for a religion.

In theory, I don't have a problem with it at all, with the proviso that you can simply say "sorry, not interested" and they walk away without quibble. In reality, it is usually an interruption that you can do without as you're sitting down to watch telly, have dinner, or play left 4 dead with your mates.

Is this then something you just live with? Or would there be some merit in putting yourself on some kind of 'do not disturb' list where if you are part of an organisation that calls to peoples doors you should consult this list and respect the wishes of those who decide to opt out?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

swiss wrote: »
    In reality, it is usually an interruption that you can do without as you're sitting down to watch telly, have dinner, or play left 4 dead with your mates.

Invite them in to play. You could run a pool on how long they'll last before they run.

(Am I stereotyping? Very sorry.)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭swiss

Invite them in to play. You could run a pool on how long they'll last before they run.

(Am I stereotyping? Very sorry.)
    At least they could use their turn undead ability.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Mena

swiss wrote: »
    Is this then something you just live with? Or would there be some merit in putting yourself on some kind of 'do not disturb' list where if you are part of an organisation that calls to peoples doors you should consult this list and respect the wishes of those who decide to opt out?

We used to have a good few people coming to our door, be they J.Witness or S.Sellingsomething. Was a right pain as they would always arrive at a time when we'd gone to bath, sat down to eat or whatever.

I used to have a sign up on my house on the dark continent... I put it up here for a laugh... you've all see it... "Trespassers will be shot... survivors will be shot again".

It's either worked very well and we only get a very few people at the door now (with a great conversation piece) or they just generally slowed down coming to our area.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 321 ✭✭CPT. SURF

Sorry if this is a bit off topic again but I find the existence of homosexuality and the Church's rejection of it to be a dagger into the heart of Christianity.

The Christian premise is that no-one is born gay, homosexuality is a choice. By that definition, every gay person has chosen to be gay. Therefore every straight person has chosen to be straight. As a straight man I can say for sure that there was never a point in my life where I said to myself..."Hmmm, will I be gay or will I be straight? I guess I will just be straight, seems like the easier route"

NO! This is obviously laughingly ridiculous.

CPT. SURF 1
    Christianity 0

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

IMO, the idea is false. Hence why I dismiss the notion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

CPT. SURF wrote: »
    Sorry if this is a bit off topic again but I find the existence of homosexuality and the Church's rejection of it to be a dagger into the heart of Christianity.

The Christian premise is that no-one is born gay, homosexuality is a choice. By that definition, every gay person has chosen to be gay. Therefore every straight person has chosen to be straight. As a straight man I can say for sure that there was never a point in my life where I said to myself..."Hmmm, will I be gay or will I be straight? I guess I will just be straight, seems like the easier route"

NO! This is obviously laughingly ridiculous.

CPT. SURF 1
    Christianity 0

The Christian premise is that homosexual acts, not inclination, are a matter of choice.

Accuracy 1
    CPT. SURF 0

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,169 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

PDN wrote: »
    The Christian premise is that homosexual acts, not inclination, are a matter of choice.

Accuracy 1
    CPT. SURF 0

Did God give them the inclination to screw with their heads?

Not for here, people.

There's a big thread in Christianity if anyone wants to pursue the, um, ins and outs of that particular Christian premise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭mickeydevine

Dades wrote: »
    You might not be so enthusiastic when they send Ted Haggard over to your house to "give you gay". :eek:

That's not fair Dades, the devil made him do it.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭kiffer

I was walking through Trinity a few years ago, I was approached by a couple, a young man and a young lady, neither was Irish, I could tell from their accents, they both had different accents, sufficiently different to be obvious to me.
    They got my attention and one (the guy I think) asked, "Excuse me do you go to college here?", now as a Trinity student I think you get used to sometimes being a bit of a tour guide, "Where is the book of Kells?", "Where is that Dinning hall they used for Harry Potter?" (what?) and random other questions from people, as well as the usual new students trying desperately to find a building that has at least two or even three names... the name on the map, the name the students use and the name the older members of the faculty might use... point is... I'm used to random people asking questions...

So anyway... I say something like "Sure, are you lost?, is there something I can help you with?"
    They start into an obvious spiel... they get a line or two in before I realise they're getting a bit recruity ... I interrupt and ask if they themselves are trinity students? or tourists?... They weren't students and it became rapidly apparent that they didn't know much about each other, I asked one where she was from and the other was surprised by the answer, that sort of thing... It seemed that they knew very little about each other other than first names. I let them back to their spiel to see where it's going and tell me how they are recruiting/gathering the leaders of tomorrow so that we can all meet and blah blah blah...
    I told them I wasn't interested Power, or Politics or being a Leader of Tomorrow... I had no interest in going to their meeting place or orientation centre... or what ever it was they called it.
    I'm pretty sure I was polite at this stage, and they seemed a bit confused that I wasn't interested.
    Once they finished talking to me and I said no thanks, they headed off. I thought this all seemed a bit odd and so I followed them at a distance and they headed straight for Front Arch and left the campus...

I don't think they were religious ... I just thought it was really really odd.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭ChocolateSauce

kiffer wrote: »
    I was walking through Trinity a few years ago, I was approached by a couple, a young man and a young lady, neither was Irish, I could tell from their accents, they both had different accents, sufficiently different to be obvious to me.
    They got my attention and one (the guy I think) asked, "Excuse me do you go to college here?", now as a Trinity student I think you get used to sometimes being a bit of a tour guide, "Where is the book of Kells?", "Where is that Dinning hall they used for Harry Potter?" (what?) and random other questions from people, as well as the usual new students trying desperately to find a building that has at least two or even three names... the name on the map, the name the students use and the name the older members of the faculty might use... point is... I'm used to random people asking questions...

So anyway... I say something like "Sure, are you lost?, is there something I can help you with?"
    They start into an obvious spiel... they get a line or two in before I realise they're getting a bit recruity ... I interrupt and ask if they themselves are trinity students? or tourists?... They weren't students and it became rapidly apparent that they didn't know much about each other, I asked one where she was from and the other was surprised by the answer, that sort of thing... It seemed that they knew very little about each other other than first names. I let them back to their spiel to see where it's going and tell me how they are recruiting/gathering the leaders of tomorrow so that we can all meet and blah blah blah...
    I told them I wasn't interested Power, or Politics or being a Leader of Tomorrow... I had no interest in going to their meeting place or orientation centre... or what ever it was they called it.
    I'm pretty sure I was polite at this stage, and they seemed a bit confused that I wasn't interested.
    Once they finished talking to me and I said no thanks, they headed off. I thought this all seemed a bit odd and so I followed them at a distance and they headed straight for Front Arch and left the campus...

I don't think they were religious ... I just thought it was really really odd.

Dude, you totally missed your chance for an S&M threesome.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭kiffer

Dude, you totally missed your chance for an S&M threesome.

I've no hankering for spankering!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Did God give them the inclination to screw with their heads?

Inclination or not, wouldn't it be physically impossible to screw someone with your head? It would be painful for the person getting screwed and would mess up your hair. :eek:

head-up-ass.jpg

Advertisement