Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do you think we can improve After Hours?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Kiera wrote: »
    There's been a lot of it the last few weeks. Not good!
    Im sorry!!:(
    I get lonely and here is the only place I dont completley repulse people......as much..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭Tom Trojan

Eliminate displaying lengthly quoted articles. Example: Dutch bloke gets thrown out of England... (AH thread now running). A sentence or two OK, otherwise Link?

• Registered Users Posts: 82,256 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I'd like to see images too but that would probably get abused quickly.

Overheal wrote: »
    I'd like to see images too but that would probably get abused quickly.
    Me too. But wouldn't that overload the server? AH is too popular (compared to other forums that allow pics).

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,064 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Tom Trojan wrote: »
    Me too. But wouldn't that overload the server? AH is too popular (compared to other forums that allow pics).
    I doubt server load would be that much of an issue. Most pictures would be hosted externally. It's mainly the muppettry we're worried about.

• Advertisement

It's mainly the muppettry we're worried about.
    Good point. They would keep you busy.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Bryn wrote: »
    Ban anybody who answers a question with "yore ma" !!!!
    Sez the first man in with a YM reference! :P
    Kiera wrote: »
    Can we quit the flirting on threads? Take it to pm or VM people.
    VM.... oh the innuendo :D

/serious hat
    With the greatest of respect to the AH mods and the job you guys do, maybe reconsider using 'STFU' etc as a moderating instruction. it only demeans and infuriates the poster. Politeness and firmness are appreciated but that's a bit insulting imo and is only giving ammunition to the recipient for their feedback thread.

No to images - that would be impossible to manage.

Yes to thanks - it's been very successful here.

As for the rest, if it aint broke.....

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

One way to improve afterhours is to encourage those posters with children to have them pitted against the children of other posters in deadly combat in a pit or cage or something. The have the footage on a live feed.

Hope this helps:)

Pighead wrote: »
    When deleting a user's posts it might be an idea to send the user a quick PM to let them know why said post was deleted. It'll save them from making the same mistake again and ultimately become a better user.

I think this is the first sensible post I've ever read from Pighead...

I'm scared..

And.

+1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Epic Tissue

SteveC wrote: »
    No to images - that would be impossible to manage.

Well, people at the moment can post links to an image, so if the image appeared in the thread only after you click the link it would be the exact same but more convenient for viewer. It would be just like the way Youtube vids can be embedded but they don't auto play.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

Out with the new, in with the old imo.

Allow images to be posted. Maybe have it so that it is posted as a link or thumbnail but when you click it, it expands?

Is already possible to do that, here is an example.

Bryn wrote: »
    Ban anybody who answers a question with "yore ma" !!!!

Just add it to the word filter like ****, ****, ******* & *** like names related to certain unmentionables.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,064 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Is already possible to do that, here is an example.
    That won't work. That requires image tags to be enabled which would allow anyone to embed any type of picture.
    Just add it to the word filter like ****, ****, ******* & *** like names related to certain unmentionables.

That won't work either, unfortunately. yooooore maaaaa

That won't work. That requires image tags to be enabled which would allow anyone to embed any type of picture.
    I know, I was just highlighting the fact that thumbnails were available.

That won't work either, unfortunately. yooooore maaaaa

Mis-spelling it just makes the poster out to be even more of an eejit, it would deter them from posting those words. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 28,898 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Overall I am very happy with after hours, it's got a good atmosphere with friendly people. I would have a few suggestions mostly based around cutting out of certain threads.

- Merge more threads. For example at times there does 5 or maybe 6 anti fianna fail threads running at amy time. Personally I think they should be merged.
    - Move more threads. I think serious political threads should me posted in politics, not AH. Obviously there will be some threads of a political nature but lately it's out of control.
    - Stop or infract people who correct grammar. Only anally retentive people do it and it is seriously annoying at times.
    - Alert people of deleted posts if possible. "yore ma" posters shouldn't be notified because it's in the charter.
    - I like Javaboys new bold writing when giving warnings. It makes the post stand out from the rest.

I'd also like to take this opportunity to say well done to dr bollocko and javaboy for hitting the ground running as mods.

This might mean lots of extra work for already dedicated mods so I don't know how feasible these points are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭deadhead13

FYP - fixed your posters are not funny or even vaguely amusing, just very annoying and should be dealt with accordingly. One such "joker" provoked my first infraction. Pleas of justifable outrage were ignored.

I know your going to- so knock yourselves out.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,636 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

I understand and appreciate that so many AHers are annoyed by the sight of a YM posting and that on the majority of occasions the joke is tired and unfunny and adds nothing to the thread but...
    YM is a classic longstanding response on a forum that claims to be here for posting light-hearted thread. Just because long-time users of AH are jaded with seeing the same old joke again and again does not mean that newcomers to the site are not being amused and entertained by it.

The majority of Ahers post a YM at some stage, some more then others, but trying to curtail it or stop it is really a bit of a draconian move and will be time consuming to police too I would imagine. I read that moderators are removing multiple instances of YM's from threads. Could these multiple postings simply be because the posters have not yet seen the YM posted in the thread?
    1: The moderators delete the YM.
    2: A reader sees an opportunity and posts a YM
    3: CODA

In banning YM you could be setting a precedent for others longstanding jokes to be removed or banned. Personally I find YM a big funnier the ‘Atari Jaguar’ but it's down to MY sense of humour. If you decide to ban YM because it is tired and unfunny then can someone start a campaign to have ‘Atari’ banned? Would 'IBTL' be taken away too? What about 'I for one welcome'? There are numerous running gags in AH and removing one sets us up for having others removed too. These are a part of what makes AH such a refuge from the mundane world, from the rest of the forums.

New posters are the most likely people to use the YM response and you have to ask yourself why this is. Remember back in the day when you were a newbie, nervous about making that first announcement in public. You've lurked for a while, gotten a feel for the place and you realise that when you post you are going to either be ignored or ridiculed, neither of which are pleasant options, so what do you do? Go with a safe 'Yore Ma' response. It gets your username up there on the screen and your posting count starts to rise to get you out of the dreaded 1-100 range. YM is a safe option for newcomers to post, to dip their toe in the waters of AH.

Might I ask if there has ever been a poll of AH about the YM issue and if it should be banned? I'll start searching after I post this but a pointer would be nice. :)

Will banning YM improve AH? No it won't because AH will still be riddled with running gags past their sell by date.
    Is it worth the grief of trying to moderate and delete all postings of YM, followed up by a PM to the miscreant explaining just why their post has been deleted and the poster is banned followed the subsequent crying and moaning in feedback/prison? No it's not.
    Is it worth the risk of losing your Atari Jaguar for? Yes it is…but only if you can replace it with a ZX81.
    It’s already well known that YM postings in AH are frowned upon and are seldom appreciated but you cannot ban them or as has been suggested ban a poster for typing ‘Yore Ma’.

No 'tl:dr' responses please, they just ain't funny.;)

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Its annoying, anal, and irritating. About the only word you could justify it for is "c*nt" as its one of the very few that actually causes offence. As a nation, we've always been known to fire in a few effs and blinds, and have still managed to produce one or two writers of note, therefore I see no reason why we should develop a stick-up-the-arse mentality about it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

Just sue the swear filter?

[nofilter]fuck[/nofilter]

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,542 ✭✭✭Captain Darling

6th wrote: »
    Just sue the swear filter?

What did the swear filter ever do on you??:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

A new subforum "Outrageous things I've read in a UK newspaper and need to share" :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

What did the swear filter ever do on you??:D:D
    It told him to fuck off

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,542 ✭✭✭Captain Darling

Pighead wrote: »
    It told him to fuck off

You can't account for that fucking swear filter its very ****ing unreliable.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

- Merge more threads. For example at times there does 5 or maybe 6 anti fianna fail threads running at amy time. Personally I think they should be merged.
    Thats one thing I will be looking at more closely. Particularly with the explosion of recession threads I will try and get more mega-merges going on if it is needed.
    - Move more threads. I think serious political threads should me posted in politics, not AH. Obviously there will be some threads of a political nature but lately it's out of control.
    You would be v. surprised at the amount we do move however there is a facility in AH for political commentary on a more barstool level than the politics forum that I wouldnt like to lose... Sometimes this devolves into a few posters having an epic battle of words over a number of days that has the rest of us asleep but we can leave them at it.
    When a political question comes up in AH its hard to know if it will merit reasoned discussion when you can only view the OP.
    - Stop or infract people who correct grammar. Only anally retentive people do it and it is seriously annoying at times.
    It depends. Like we don't approve of TXT SPK for example. Sometimes a poster hasn't used paragraphs and it makes things impossible to break down.
    I think we could stop people alright but I don't ever see it resulting in a negative experience for anyone. I'd have to go case by case on that one too.
    - Alert people of deleted posts if possible. "yore ma" posters shouldn't be notified because it's in the charter.
    I do tend to mail users of deleted posts if I feel there is any merit in it or I have the time to do so. Again its case by case. Perhaps a post has to be deleted because it has a phone number or similar, so I would pm the user and let them know where I can but will endeavour to this more in future.
    - I like Javaboys new bold writing when giving warnings. It makes the post stand out from the rest.

He stole that from Wibbs. Poor wibbs.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,452 ✭✭✭Blisterman

Nodin wrote: »
    Its annoying, anal, and irritating. About the only word you could justify it for is "c*nt" as its one of the very few that actually causes offence. As a nation, we've always been known to fire in a few effs and blinds, and have still managed to produce one or two writers of note, therefore I see no reason why we should develop a stick-up-the-arse mentality about it now.

Yes, particularly if people are posting links.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

I like Javaboys new bold writing when giving warnings. It makes the post stand out from the rest.
    He stole that from Wibbs. Poor wibbs.

He's like some kind of reverse Robin Hood.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,636 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Earthhorse wrote: »
    He's like some kind of reverse Robin Hood.
    Dooh Nibor :confused:

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Allow images to be posted. Maybe have it so that it is posted as a link or thumbnail but when you click it, it expands?

Agreed, most of us have broadband now and I can't see why we should make do for those unfortunate to be stuck with a low speed connection. Sure they'll only be dissapointed when they try to open the links anyways ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

OldGoat wrote: »
    Dooh Nibor :confused:
    Nibor Dooh

Advertisement