Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Watchmen - Advance Screening

Options
13»

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 8,027 ✭✭✭fitz

I didn't get tickets. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

No tickets for me. :mad: godammit.

where is the premiere on amd what time?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

There's one in Vue in Liffey Valley at 1 minute past midnight Thursday night/Friday morning anyway, but damn you'd get home at about 3am.

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭bigslick

evad_lhorg wrote: »
    No tickets for me. :mad: godammit.

where is the premiere on amd what time?

Why is this important? Unless of course u are going to scream and punch your way in lol :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,228 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Fecking awesome!!!!

Although let down by Silk Spectre and Ozymadius and childish soundtrack.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭bigslick

duploelabs wrote: »
    Fecking awesome!!!!

Although let down by Silk Spectre and Ozymadius and childish soundtrack.

I actually like the soundtrack. Bearing in mind I have not seen the film (but will tonight), but have the soundtrack.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 897 ✭✭✭oxygen_old

Does anyone know of a Thursday screening for this movie?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

Vue Cinema in Liffey Valley.

00:01 Thursday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Brimmy

That's technically Friday...

There are no Thursday screenings.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,137 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Well I've seen it. My initial thoughts?

Hmmmm, overall I think it's a good adaptation & any omissions were justified against putting it into coherent cinematic package. Having said that, it felt a little heartless; it felt more like a succession of frames & a little disjointed. But maybe this is because of the various canned scenes, I'm not sure. Perhaps we'll need the full cut on DVD to get the best possible viewing. The characters were spot on, barry Ozy who just didn't look or feel right. The rest I thought were on the button, particularly Rorsharch by far.

As for the
    Lack of the squid & changed ending? It works. I went with a layman, and after the movie explained to him the novel's ending & its significance / meaning. His response? "Yeah, that wouldn't have worked. It would have looked stupid and utterly ridiculous". I agree with him, in a cinematic context, away from the medium of comic books the squid would have looked farcical & dumb, doubly so as the running time to include the squid subplot would have meant other more meaningful character elements would have been shelved.

Otherwise, I think Zynder did as good a job with the material as possible; it's impossible for any adaptation to 100% copy the source material - and when you do you get drudgery like the H. Potter movies - but it works. It won't satisfy all the fans though & I think non-geeks won't "get" it at all to be honest.

Edit: Oh and one other point. There's LOTS of gore. I don't remember this much from the book. At times it was totally OTT and un-needed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

I quite like it too. There are some gaps that made sense to me because I'd read the novel and would have made the film make some more sense if they were included (although way too long) but I think that even if you haven't read it you can still enjoy the film.

As for the gore, I'm wondering what the actual release cert will be. I was quite surprised that it said 16 at the start (although it did have something saying that it was being reviewed from 18)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

I saw the film at the movies.ie screening tonight, shall do a big rant later after I've had some much needed sleep but basicly it's not awful but its not really great either, its pretty average, except for the score thats just down right awful. Is it a good take on the comic? Not really but its not a bad take either, twas an average attmept. I had alot of the same issues I had with 300, while yes its great you tried to take panels from the comic and make them into scenes, some of those panels just don't work as film scenes, they work as comic pages, film is a different medium to comics and as such it should have been treated as a bloody film, I already have the comic, I've read it hundreds of times, I wanted to see a film not the comics blown up really really big with really bad too loud music. The acting is ok, set design and lighting pretty nice. Editing was ok but it could have been cut down alot in a few places. Overall its a competent film but nothing really amazing.

pixelburp wrote: »
    Edit: Oh and one other point. There's LOTS of gore. I don't remember this much from the book. At times it was totally OTT and un-needed.

+ 1 yeah there were a few spots I thought looked more like dawn of the dead then watchmen.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,137 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Well that's just it; it's good, but it's mostly just average. It did occur to me that maybe, just maybe this has fallen on the wrong side of The Dark Knight to capture the dark-superhero vibe, cinematically speaking. That that train has been & gone and Watchmen hasn't aged too well when transposing the themes & tone to the cinema.

But then it's not every day we get a film with peoples' intestines splattered on a ceiling. Maybe some people think this is awesome, but I don't.

just maybe this has fallen on the wrong side of The Dark Knight to capture the dark-superhero vibe, cinematically speaking. That that train has been & gone and Watchmen hasn't aged too well when transposing the themes & tone to the cinema.

I think the issue it might have is with the audience that doesn't know much or anything about the comic or comics in general as Watchmen [the comic] assumes an understanding of Sliver age comics and [the then] current comic book industry. While sitting through it I was trying to image my non-comic friends enjoying it and I could see them being very bored at load of places. The non-comic people going are going to think they are going to see another Dark Knight as alot of the tv spots and trailers have made it look like a run of the mile typical superhero movie which its not, there's not alot of action until a good bit into the film and theres alot of taking heads and voice overs which works in a comic but not in a film.

ztoical wrote: »
    I think the issue it might have is with the audience that doesn't know much or anything about the comic or comics in general as Watchmen [the comic] assumes an understanding of Sliver age comics and [the then] current comic book industry. While sitting through it I was trying to image my non-comic friends enjoying it and I could see thembeing very bored at load of places. The non-comic people going are going to think they are going to see another Dark Knight as alot of the tv spots and trailers have made it look like a run of the mile typical superhero movie which its not, there's not alot of action until a good bit into the film and theres alot of taking heads and voice overs which works in a comic but not in a film.

Yup, that was the precise remark from my non-fanboy friend. I delibrately wanted him to come because I thought it'd be an interesting exercise to compare and contrast; he grudgingly admitted, presumably thinking I would be offended, that in parts it felt long & quite boring. It's not just the Silver Age comics either that the viewer would need an understanding of; the costumes the characters wore were an intentional nod towards the history of the superhero movie & it's dodgy formed rubber outfits (look at Ozy's ludicruous outfit, complete with Batman & Robin nipples :D).

I do still think though, the morning after, that the Dark Knight has set a standard - for good or for bad - on how the "adult" superhero movie is perceived. Were I to use such an obnoxious term, I would say it captured the zeitgeist first. Cinematically that is. Were I to use the term ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 605 ✭✭✭ghouldaddy07

Saw it last night and enjoyed it. My only real problem was the soundtrack the only addition I liked was all along the watch tower. I feel its a good adaption but the soundtrack, pacing and the odd "300" slow motion let it down.

Casting was great felt all the actors portraed their characters perfectly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Brimmy

Saw what you like about the soundtrack but the opening to Dylan was fracking perfect.

I'm going again just to see that (the rest of the film itself and the fact that I have unlimited card so don't have to plop down e10 is just a bonus).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,764 ✭✭✭DeadParrot

I thought the soundtrack was great but oddly placed at times.
    99 red ballons....just why??

DeadParrot wrote: »
    I thought the soundtrack was great but oddly placed at times.
    99 red ballons....just why??
    Well the song is about ww3, but yes, it's placement in the movie was just plain jarring.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 269 ✭✭Boo-yah

Good to hear that most people's biggest issue with the film is the soundtrack, if that's the films biggest flaw then happy days :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

Well the song is about ww3, but yes, it's placement in the movie was just plain jarring.

it was oddly placed and really really loud

Pádraig Ó Méalóid, who is about the biggest Alan Moore fan as your going to find in this country, has posted his thoughts after seeing the film last night. Very interesting read but be warned major spoilers if you haven't read the graphic novel.

In case you were wondering what Watchmen would have been like if not for Zack Synder btw, I would say it likely would have looked like this ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 269 ✭✭Boo-yah

ztoical wrote: »
    Pádraig Ó Méalóid, who is about the biggest Alan Moore fan as your going to find in this country, has posted his thoughts after seeing the film last night. Very interesting read but be warned major spoilers if you haven't read the graphic novel.

Why are there so many reviews that fixate on Dr. Manhatten's blue member? Fair enough, I can understand it from people who never read the graphic novel but this guy, who obviously loves the graphic novel, complains about it too! Dr. Manhattan doesn't have the same hang ups as humans, he's essentially a God, why would he feel he has to wear pants? :D

Advertisement