Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Watchmen - Advance Screening

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Where have these screenings been held in the past?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,295 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Cheers for the heads up!
    Screenings have been in Savoy / Cineworld / Dundrum and Lighthouse in the past, will likely be one of the first two I'd say.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 8,027 ✭✭✭fitz

Entered earlier, fingers crossed. Doesn't seem to say when the screening is going to be though....

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,137 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Awesome sauce - nice way to get new users like me ;) Signed up anyway so fingers crossed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 605 ✭✭✭ghouldaddy07

cheers for the tip.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27 defness

Thanks for the info man great shout! Hopefully win some

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,589 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

cant wait for this flick!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,626 ✭✭✭Stargal

Thanks for the heads up on that, fingers crossed...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

I'm in and if I won Dark Knight tickets I can win these, c'mooon!

Also I think there's a new Star Trek trailer attached to Watchmen.

BopNiblets wrote: »
    I'm in and if I won Dark Knight tickets I can win these, c'mooon!

Also I think there's a new Star Trek trailer attached to Watchmen.
    That would most likely be US only, I'd say.

• Advertisement

Cheers for the heads up!
    Screenings have been in Savoy / Cineworld / Dundrum and Lighthouse in the past, will likely be one of the first two I'd say.
    :( Dublin is a bit far to go to watch a flick.

/hovers over local cinema ticket booking site

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭Asmodean

Yeah it is unfortunate that Dublin only ever gets to host these advanced screenings.

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭Mauricmo

Any other competions going to win tickets?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Brimmy

Mauricmo wrote: »
    Any other competions going to win tickets?

You really are determined to get your tickets in this life or the next.. :pac:

Oh this is exciting, I have a stalker now!

Not really a stalker, more just a friendly watcher. That being said if you win tickets and I don't...

Ahhhhhh I cant access Movies.ie!!!!!!!!!!!
    Anybody else having this problem?

Yup.

If it's dead does this mean no one gets to see Watchmen early? :(

Im am terrified that when it comes back online someone will have won the competition. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

I actually won one of their Watchmen spot prizes in their message board last week but still waiting on an email with all the details

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

word is paramount appealed the cert that it got.

it was meant to be 18s here , like the UK, but now its a 16s cert. apparently there was a review pannel (including keving fecking myers) that got to see the film yesterday to make their decision.

looking forward to this myself.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,589 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

From reading the reviews online, Empire, Total Film and the UK Times gave it positive reviews, as did Harry Knowles, altho I take his with a pinch of salt

The News of the World slated it! :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,137 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Really? What did it say? I have had a funny feeling for a while that the mainstream media were going to hate the movie; either not "getting it", or just reading way too much into certain strands.

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭bigslick

Looking forward to this, have my tickets for it via a spot prize and screening is to take place early next week. I imagine will be Tuesday from experience, and more than likely Cineworld (That might have been confirmed actually).

In preperation I bought the graphic novel and will have it read by then.

pixelburp wrote: »
    Really? What did it say? I have had a funny feeling for a while that the mainstream media were going to hate the movie; either not "getting it", or just reading way too much into certain strands.

Im too lazy to post links but I will to a quick summary of the reviews behind the spoilers. I wont go into plot specifics.
    Positive reviews, particularly in relation to Rorshach and Manhattan. Also the opening is meant to be excellent, even the news of the world loved it. Downsides are Silk Spectre's performance and there is a bit of debate over the novel's famous "love scene". Also there is alot going on so it has at times to emotionally feel for the characters with the exception of Manhattan. The ending is new and will split fanboys. Also the CG of manhattan is ropey in parts seemingly.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,295 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Just saw an email from movies.ie in my inbox there, and was excited, only to discover it was a reminder for the Marley & Me competition :( However, the email also said the draw would be taking place soon for Watchmen tickets.

The site really is impressive for screenings though - have got to see plenty of quality films on there (just saw Doubt last night - decent, but certainly worth it at a price of free). Just a shame that probability of getting tickets decreases dramatically when the words 'Bat' or 'Watch' followed by a derivative of the word 'man' are mentioned :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 269 ✭✭Boo-yah

faceman wrote: »

I'd see that as a good thing tbh :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭fugazied

Awesome, so excited by this film, hopefully it won't be a dog! x.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭Auvers

faceman wrote: »

aye heres the review

*edit*

Just read the review and the only thing I can say is

This idoic review makes me want to see the film even more than before

example
    "And secondly, there’s a superb ‘history of costumed crimefighting’ montage that sets out the film's backstory in a series of ultra-slow-mo scenes to a plaintive Bob Dylan track.

That’s the good stuff. Walk out after that, and you won’t miss a thing.

Because what follows is a near frame-by-frame adaptation of the original comic, which makes the key mistake of assuming that what works well on the page, will work equally well on the big screen. "

Sweet jesus how dare they make it excatly like the comic book :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭JCDenton

I actually won one of their Watchmen spot prizes in their message board last week but still waiting on an email with all the details

That reminds me - I won some tickets as well, but never heard from movies.ie since...

Is that just me??

Advertisement