Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Local bargains and various deals

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

Got a voucher in the post from B&Q - if anyone wants it pm me.

Here's what it says:
    If you let us design your kitchen, bathroom, or bedroom between 18 Nov and 15 Dec and pay us a fully refundable deposit of €100, we promise to sell it to you at the January sales price plus we will give you an extra 20% off on top of our January sale prices because you've booked early. We will tell you what the new January sale price is between 16th and 23rd December.

They also say that the deposit is fully refundable if you decide not to proceed with the order.

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭holly8

dilallio wrote: »
    Got a voucher in the post from B&Q - if anyone wants it pm me.

Here's what it says:

They also say that the deposit is fully refundable if you decide not to proceed with the order.

pm sent

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Accountsplus

There can be good bargains found at the Galway Lions Club Radio Auction. Items are donated by businesses and individuals and then sold by auction on Galway Bay FM, with all proceeds going to local needy families.

Details on the items for auction can be found here - http://bit.ly/vWPdWz.

If you do your research, see something you like, you can pick up some items at very good prices. Last year, some items went at 50% of the list prices although it's more likely to be about 80%.

That list will be updated regularly as the auction approaches so keep an eye on it. It could be worth it. Dec 9 is the date of the auction.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,100 ✭✭✭dinneenp

There can be good bargains found at the Galway Lions Club Radio Auction. Items are donated by businesses and individuals and then sold by auction on Galway Bay FM, with all proceeds going to local needy families.

Details on the items for auction can be found here - http://bit.ly/vWPdWz.

If you do your research, see something you like, you can pick up some items at very good prices. Last year, some items went at 50% of the list prices although it's more likely to be about 80%.

That list will be updated regularly as the auction approaches so keep an eye on it. It could be worth it. Dec 9 is the date of the auction.

Is the auction on in the Lions Club on the 9th, at what time, do you have to pay in etc?
    Is it just a simple/standard auction and do you pay on the night for anything you win?

Cheers,
    Pa.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭deltakilo

It's usually on live on Galway Bay fm on Keith Finnegans show from 10am from the Ardilaun. This year I think its from the Eyre Square Shopping Centre.
    You can bid for items over the phone or by email. If you are successful they call you back and you can pay over the phone or when you are collecting the items.
    Usually some good items up for sale and you can bag the odd bargain while donating to a good cause.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 204 ✭✭GuessWho2009

I see on the whatsfordinner facebook page chip inn are doing a large doner kebab meal for €4.95

• Registered Users Posts: 11,983 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

I see on the whatsfordinner facebook page chip inn are doing a large doner kebab meal for €4.95
    If it was a Euro it would be too much based on reviews of that place.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭arandale

Yes, it on in the Eyre Sq. Centre this year.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

Grandmaster Flash with Abandoman playing in Roisin Dubh on 28th Jan.

First 50 tickets 10 euro each.

deltakilo wrote: »
    It's usually on live on Galway Bay fm on Keith Finnegans show from 10am from the Ardilaun. This year I think its from the Eyre Square Shopping Centre.
    You can bid for items over the phone or by email. If you are successful they call you back and you can pay over the phone or when you are collecting the items.
    Usually some good items up for sale and you can bag the odd bargain while donating to a good cause.

The list of items is up to 245 this morning and for the first year they will be taking bids by email before the auction goes live on Friday morning.

Gym memberships and annual car parking in town have gone quite cheaply in previous years. It just depends on how many are keen on the items.

• Advertisement

The list of items is up to 245 this morning and for the first year they will be taking bids by email before the auction goes live on Friday morning.

Gym memberships and annual car parking in town have gone quite cheaply in previous years. It just depends on how many are keen on the items.

call me stupid but how does it work?
    Do all bids have to be in before the auction date?
    Or is it like a real auction where there'll be live biding on the radio- e.g. Lot number and you enter your bid?
    If so the auction would go on for hours and hours/half a day?
    Do they announce who won each item and then move onto the next one?
    I'm just trying to figure out for an item such as 'Texoil Connell, Carnmore Cross Home Heating Oil voucher 150' it's as obvious day the value so is there any point in biding €100?

Cheers,
    Pa.

dinneenp wrote: »
    call me stupid but how does it work?
    There will be at least 250 items donated. They will be auctioned live on air between 9am and 1pm. That means at least 60 items per hour.

The auctioneer will have about 30 items open at any time - ie he's focusing on them and Keith Finnegan will be describing the items etc for the listeners. It goes out live on Galway Bay FM and obviously will also also be streamed.
    Do all bids have to be in before the auction date?

No, bids can be entered up to the time the auctioneer declares an item closed.

This year for the first time, "pre-bids" will be accepted before 9am on Friday. The bulk of the bids - last year 1700 bids - come in between 9 and 1.

Bids can be entered by phone, text, email or in person. The auction will be held in Eyre Square SC and the public are welcome to go look and place bids in person if they want. Full details for bidding are on the website.
    Or is it like a real auction where there'll be live biding on the radio- e.g. Lot number and you enter your bid?

Yes. Last year for the first time, they used a webapp to track the auction. So you can go to auction.galwaylionsclub.ie and you can see how many items are open, how many bids are in, the value of the last three bids and how many items have closed etc
    If so the auction would go on for hours and hours/half a day?
    4 hours from 9 to 1.
    Do they announce who won each item and then move onto the next one?
    No. They announce that the item is closed and move on to the next item but not the name of the winner. Some items - special interest, valuable etc may be left open for longer. Winners get called by a team of volunteers who arrange collection and payment.
    I'm just trying to figure out for an item such as 'Texoil Connell, Carnmore Cross Home Heating Oil voucher 150' it's as obvious day the value so is there any point in biding €100?

Its an auction. Items will be sold for the maximum price offered. That could well be 100 or some kind soul could give the full 150 or more. It has happened. As the donor has already donated the item, the full proceeds go to fund the aid given to the needy of Galway City and Surrounding Areas at Christmas time. Last year about 750 were helped through the auction.

Some items may have a reserve but they're very few in number. The donor may not want to let them go less than a certain amount.

Some people ring in that morning to donate items. They may not have known about the auction until that morning. Also, some people also ring in on the morning simply to make donations - they just want to help.

But every year, many items are sold below the normal retail value of the item. So there are likely to be bargains to be had.

Sorry for the length of the post. I just wanted to give full answer to the questions.

The Auction organisers have just added an FAQ on the Auction to their website. http://bit.ly/rJdnd1

That may also help.

Auction- got a €50 pharmacy voucher for €30.
    Cheers for letting people know about the acution.

Auction- got a €50 pharmacy voucher for €30.
    Cheers for letting people know about the acution.

You're welcome. Glad to hear you got good value.
    Thanks for supporting the auction.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

Someone in baragains posted Arches in Claregalway is doing an all you can eat breakfast for €5. Lunch deals too apparently for €6:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056479005

Someone on the same thread mentioned Fagan's doing a similar deal in the city.

newkie wrote: »
    Someone in baragains posted Arches in Claregalway is doing an all you can eat breakfast for €5. Lunch deals too apparently for €6:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056479005

Someone on the same thread mentioned Fagan's doing a similar deal in the city.

where is Fagans?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

holly8 wrote: »
    where is Fagans?

Down near the Meyrick Hotel on Eyre Square.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,920 ✭✭✭thesandeman

Im not sure if the poster in BA actually meant Fagins as they said it was off Shop St. I think they may have been thinking about that place on the corner of Abbeygate/Market St opposite Central Park.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

That's Finnegan's. And it's a savage good feed!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,920 ✭✭✭thesandeman

Yeah. It seems more likely they would be doing a cheap deal rather than Fagins.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Nice deal for the Ardilaun Hotel

"Leisure Club Day Pass for One Person with €25 to Spend on Lunch or Dinner (€15), or for Two People with €30 to Spend on Lunch or Dinner (€20)"

http://share.livingsocial.com/deals/196688?rpi=40656094&ref=personalized-link-box-40656094&rui=60657040

If three people use this link to purchase the deal, then i get my deal for free :pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Are there any good half price/lower price vouchers on any sites for meals out in Galway atm ?
    I've looked about but found nothing, asking in case I'm looking in the wrong places.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,555 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Are there any good half price/lower price vouchers on any sites for meals out in Galway atm ?
    I've looked about but found nothing, asking in case I'm looking in the wrong places.
    Follow the Oslo or the Cottage bar on Facebook. They do 2 for 1 deals on main courses on Mondays and Tuesdays, I can't remember which one is which day.

Robbo wrote: »
    Follow the Oslo or the Cottage bar on Facebook. They do 2 for 1 deals on main courses on Mondays and Tuesdays, I can't remember which one is which day.

Oslo on Mondays, Cottage on Tues

• Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Livingsocial have a steak dinner for two half price in The Galleon in salt hill. It's down from 43.50 to 21. Not too bad!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭galwaylad1980

Hi,

I bought one of the Da Roberto vouchers on Living Social, €20 worth of food for €10. Just wondering if anyone has used theirs for take away or do you have to eat in the restaurant to be able to use it?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Limit one per purchaser, additional as gifts • Limit one per table per visit • Bookings suggested on weekends • Valid for Da Roberta Pizzeria only • Other conditions apply • PROMOTIONAL VALUE EXPIRES ON May 11, 2012

But ring and ask.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Not the Restaurant but the Pizza joint, damn. Fairly hard to eat €20 worth of Pizza :D

Advertisement