Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Local bargains and various deals

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭board_stiff

You can get €50 to spend on food & drink for €25 at the Royal Villa in Salthill
    http://livingitup.ie/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 KZJ81

Worth looking at livingitup on Facebook, they're giving prizes away each week. Must be only starting out with 84 fans so far. 1st weeks prize is 10 fitness classes worth 100e.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 GalwayGirl1975

cool - royal villa is probably my favourite restaurant in Galway - well defo in Salthill - love the booth - never heard of livingitup before but saw an article about them in this week's advertiser - recognise the guy in the picture - think he was ahead of me in the Jes - nice eyes :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,206 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

JohnCleary wrote: »

Jesus, that's savage. I love eating in Padraicins, but it's so bleeding expensive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Might catch that offer myself.

JohnCleary wrote: »

The steak incurs a €5 supplement just to let ye know... confirmed by e-mail enquiry. Still good value though and sure I prefer to cook my own steak anyhow!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭cfeeneyinterior

Good deal here for Leisureland gym and pool membership for 6 weeks for €29. Seems like a good bargain seeing as the dark and cold evenings are coming back?
    http://www.smartsearch.ie/deals/browse?id=195

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭inisboffin

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Bought the Leisureland gym and pool membership earlier and haven't recieved any email. Just wondering how long it normaly takes to get a confirmation email?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭moonflower

JJayoo wrote: »
    Bought the Leisureland gym and pool membership earlier and haven't recieved any email. Just wondering how long it normaly takes to get a confirmation email?

I haven't gotten an email, but I got a text with the voucher code.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 276 ✭✭July

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭martyboy48

July wrote: »
    Wouldn't go for it.. '30 point car service' in my mind would be more like most points are inspecting light/horn/wipers ect work and then maybe just do oil and filter..
    Would love to see what the 30 items they do are..
    I wouldn't use this to replace the usual service i get my mechanic to do..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

inisboffin wrote: »

Redeemed my €19 Two-Course Lunch for Two voucher today. It was meant to have a value of €42... so naturally I went for the most expensive menu options - €11.50 pork and coriander burger and €5.50 desert. That's €17... x2 = €34. :confused:

Looking at the offer page again I see the offer is meant to include "specials such as panfried hake" - when we said we had the voucher the specials menu was taken away again and were told the specials were not part of the deal.

It was a delicious lunch but feel a bit hard done by, would have definately gone for the fish on the specials menu... the table beside us had it and it looked great! :(

foto joe wrote: »
    Redeemed my €19 Two-Course Lunch for Two voucher today. It was meant to have a value of €42... so naturally I went for the most expensive menu options - €11.50 pork and coriander burger and €5.50 desert. That's €17... x2 = €34. :confused:

Looking at the offer page again I see the offer is meant to include "specials such as panfried hake" - when we said we had the voucher the specials menu was taken away again and were told the specials were not part of the deal.

It was a delicious lunch but feel a bit hard done by, would have definately gone for the fish on the specials menu... the table beside us had it and it looked great! :(

Well that's not good. Did you point out the price discrepancy or did you spot it afterwards. If it states it on the voucher I would ring them to see what they have to say about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

Unfortunately, this type of behaviour is getting more common.

A friend of mine availed of a deal in another restaurant in Salthill recently.

When he showed them the voucher, they immediately took away the menu, and gave them a sheet of paper with a very limited menu.

He compared the prices on this sheet to the prices on an a-la-cart menu on another table, and discovered that they had added 25% to the prices.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

I think the trick is not to tell them you have a voucher and show it to them after you have finished the meal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭the keen edge

I think the trick is not to tell them you have a voucher and show it to them after you have finished the meal.

Yeah some of these guys are right chancers.

I had some offer voucher for pizza in Bistro Bianconi before, now it said like they all do, to mention the voucher at time of ordering.

So I thought fcuk that, they'll just scrimp on the toppings and besides the offer was for any pizza from their menu, and not their take of a more economical version.

Anyway on collecting and paying for the pizza I pull out the voucher. The guy working there was not impressed. Started on about how the voucher must be mentioned on ordering.
    So I ask him to explain why he needs to know about the voucher on ordering, up to this point all that has happened was a pizza has been made which my voucher enables purchase at a reduced price. I asked the guy, in what way have I by failing to mention the voucher affected this?.

He couldn't answer me, just repeating the same auld rubbish about needed to know on ordering. Chancers!.

This kind of carry-on will be the detriment of business' and completely goes against the whole point of these cheap offers.

My reason for saying this....
    Generally you'll buy a voucher for a place you normally wouldn't bother. So you order your food, let's say example with a value of €40, for €20.
    You get your meal, enjoy it and feel you got your value for €20.
    BUT, you think to yourself "Normally this would cost me €40" hence value is not felt, hence you never return to said establishment.

When people use these vouchers, they should get the exact same treatment as they normally would, the whole idea (well I thought) was sell these vouchers at a loss (or break even) and profit from the return business they should generate.

I had some offer voucher for pizza in Bistro Bianconi before, now it said like they all do, to mention the voucher at time of ordering.

So I thought fcuk that, they'll just scrimp on the toppings and besides the offer was for any pizza from their menu, and not their take of a more economical version.

Anyway on collecting and paying for the pizza I pull out the voucher. The guy working there was not impressed. Started on about how the voucher must be mentioned on ordering.
    So I ask him to explain why he needs to know about the voucher on ordering, up to this point all that has happened was a pizza has been made which my voucher enables purchase at a reduced price. I asked the guy, in what way have I by failing to mention the voucher affected this?.

He couldn't answer me, just repeating the same auld rubbish about needed to know on ordering. Chancers!.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

Recently redeemed a living social voucher in the Townhouse Restaurant. We got the normal menu and there were no exemptions. Even the steak didn't carry a surcharge (quite often it is +€ 5.-)
    The food was lovely and the staff very attentive. It was a steal at the voucher price, but we wouldn't have minded paying the full price so will be back!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭restingpilgrim

You would think they would realisethat by providing an inferior product which they claim is worth the higher price it is highly unlikely to generate new custom. e.g. a pizza with very little topping is hardly going to scream value.

I never had a problem in a different kind of service or product with Bianconi when it was open, I was a fairly regular customer. I asked about the voucher thing first, and the guy, think it was the owner, said, it was to do with the way the order was punched in. Definitely the case for delivery. PLU code, is that the name of it? That makes sense for accounting reasons, but have no idea why anywhere would do a separate menu or not let you order specials IF it says it on the menu.

It's also 'etiquette' to tip on the original (pre discount) amount, not that anyone will if they get cr*p serice.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,983 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Redeemed one in Harry Fitz a while back and like some others i was told it was only for battered whiting, no cod or haddock etc. Bit of a snotty attitude from them aswell if i remember correctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Unrealistic

You would think they would realisethat by providing an inferior product which they claim is worth the higher price it is highly unlikely to generate new custom. e.g. a pizza with very little topping is hardly going to scream value.
    Or they have read the extensive analysis conducted on Groupon and understand that most people who use these vouchers would only make the purchase at the discounted price and won't come back to pay full price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭the keen edge

The thing is, it's only a discount if your getting 100% of the service for <100% of the original price for that service.

Some of these businesses think an discount is offering a service for <100% of the original price, and then providing you with <100% of the service.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭funnyname

Recently redeemed a living social voucher in the Townhouse Restaurant. We got the normal menu and there were no exemptions. Even the steak didn't carry a surcharge (quite often it is +€ 5.-)
    The food was lovely and the staff very attentive. It was a steal at the voucher price, but we wouldn't have minded paying the full price so will be back!

Ditto

Redeemed one in Harry Fitz a while back and like some others i was told it was only for battered whiting, no cod or haddock etc. Bit of a snotty attitude from them aswell if i remember correctly.

Yeah i liked there fish, but the person who served me, the owner i presume had a right attitude on him.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭ramius

This is an invtiation for 20% off in B&Q Galway tomorrow night the 3rd of Nov between 4-9, just print off the attached voucher to get 20% off. The other stores around the country are having similar events tomorrow night but i dont know if they will accept the Galway voucher

aww excellent i need some paint........... sniff ..............it really is good, any in black good sir?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

€2 car parking plus a free sightseeing return bus tour from the racecourse to town. Valid 3 December to 24 December.
    http://www.galwaycity.ie/GeneralNews/221111_01.html

Advertisement