Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kerry GAA Discussion Thread Mod Warning Post #4167

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

stuba wrote: »
    Edit: Is Páirc uí Chaíomh not out of action this year with the renovations?

Even though planning has been granted, everyone expects legal challenges/appeals/An Bord Pleanala involvement etc.

Someone from Cork I was talking to reckons it will definitely end up in the High Court and there's no real clear idea of when PUC will actually close.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭ciarriaithuaidh

Yeah there's no way the new stadium project will start this year in Páirc uí Chaíomh anyway. A lot of hoops to be jumped through before the go-ahead is given.

Which reminds me, anyone know the current status of the Kerry GAA centre of excellence in Currans? Is sod being turned on that this year?

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭stuba

Ah never realised that. Was looking forward to the day out in Killarney. It isnt the same above in Cork, even getting to Páirc uí Chaíomh is a disaster in itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭duchalla

Asked a buddy of mine where will Cork be playing their home games during the redevelopment. He reckons Frank Murphy wont want to lose out on any revenue by moving the Munster championship games against the likes of Kerry in football or Tipp in the hurling to smaller venues in Cork. He said the game against Kerry would be played in Kilarney for 2 years while the redevelopment is going on and then played in PUC for 2 years instead of every 2nd year. Makes sense I spose.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

stuba wrote: »
    Ah never realised that. Was looking forward to the day out in Killarney. It isnt the same above in Cork, even getting to Páirc uí Chaíomh is a disaster in itself.
    Ah I dunno about that, I enjoy walking up the hill to Fitz park on a sunny day, but popping down the narrow lanes of Ballintemple can be just as good for atmosphere imo

With that said, getting to PUC from the city can be a bit painful, still a pint in the sextant and a stroll down the Marina is nice - I look forward to see what the redevelopment does for the area, should bring some nice change.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

D'Agger wrote: »
    Don't think the renovations are starting until July so it should be available

unless it falls down before then....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Prop Joe

Brian McGuire off to the states for the summer,Guess he knew playing time was at a minimum this summer.Felt he never got a real cut at the starting 15,He would defo be one of my 1st choice subs anyway.

Hopefully he will get his cut at it next year

Prop Joe wrote: »
    Brian McGuire off to the states for the summer,Guess he knew playing time was at a minimum this summer.Felt he never got a real cut at the starting 15,He would defo be one of my 1st choice subs anyway.

I agree, he's better than Sherwood and a few others in my book. Anyway, he's young enough yet, hopefully he'll recharge the batteries and we haven't seen the last of him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭legendary.xix

Kerry will be away to Kildare in the next round of the Ring championship.

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭amadain

amadain wrote: »
    TOMMY Walsh has been placed on the Sydney Swans' long-term injury list as the Irishman continues his recovery from a severe hamstring injury.
    AFL spokesman Patrick Keane announced on Twitter on Tuesday that the Swans had put Walsh on their long-term injury list but had yet to upgrade a rookie as a replacement.

Walsh, 26 later this month, has played just five games for the Swans since crossing from St Kilda at the end of 2011.
    The forward played two games last year, but his season ended in round 10 against Essendon when he tore his hamstring off the bone in the first quarter.

TOMMY WALSH WILL make his return to action Sunday for the Sydney Swans nearly 12 months after suffering a horror hamstring injury.

Walsh will line up for the Sydney Swans reserve side against UWS Giants in a game that is the warm-up for the AFL Round 8 clash between Sydney Swans and Hawthorn at ANZ Stadium.

The match caps Walsh’s comeback after a gruelling recovery from injury since tearing the hamstring off his bone last June in an AFL Round 10 clash between Sydney Swans and Essendon.

The 26 year-old, who won an All-Ireland senior medal with Kerry in 2009 before departing for Australia, has played for the Sydney Swans since October 2011. He had originally played for St Kilda.

Last month Kilkenny hurler Michael Fennelly, who spent time in Australia from last December to February on work experience with the Sydney Swans, spoke about witnessing Walsh’s efforts to recover form injury.

He described it as an ‘uphill battle’ for the Kerry native to reignite his AFL career as Walsh enters a defining year with his contract up at the end of the 2014 season.

• Advertisement

amadain wrote: »
    TOMMY WALSH WILL make his return to action Sunday for the Sydney Swans nearly 12 months after suffering a horror hamstring injury.

Walsh will line up for the Sydney Swans reserve side against UWS Giants in a game that is the warm-up for the AFL Round 8 clash between Sydney Swans and Hawthorn at ANZ Stadium.

The match caps Walsh’s comeback after a gruelling recovery from injury since tearing the hamstring off his bone last June in an AFL Round 10 clash between Sydney Swans and Essendon.

The 26 year-old, who won an All-Ireland senior medal with Kerry in 2009 before departing for Australia, has played for the Sydney Swans since October 2011. He had originally played for St Kilda.

Last month Kilkenny hurler Michael Fennelly, who spent time in Australia from last December to February on work experience with the Sydney Swans, spoke about witnessing Walsh’s efforts to recover form injury.

He described it as an ‘uphill battle’ for the Kerry native to reignite his AFL career as Walsh enters a defining year with his contract up at the end of the 2014 season.

Bit of after-timing there..that game happened yesterday and he came through it fine apparently. Glad to hear that, even if I think he's never going to make the top grade and would rather he was back home..but that's just me being selfish!

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Mike Frank Hustle

Bit of after-timing there..that game happened yesterday and he came through it fine apparently. Glad to hear that, even if I think he's never going to make the top grade and would rather he was back home..but that's just me being selfish!
    Walsh is getting everything he can out of Australia, with his injury concerns at the moment it is the best place for him. I know a selfish view but hopefully when he has fully rehabbed he might look at a move back to the kingdom!

Any word on killarney man Padraig Lucey on about his en-devours down under. Still involved in "the recruit" last I heard. Great opportunity for the tall fella.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

Prop Joe wrote: »

Have you any info on whether it's just for the summer?

From the bit below sounds like it's a bit more than just a summer job in the US.

Looking at the appearance stats for the squad there are only 5 defenders in the current Kerry squad with more Championship appearances than McGuire [Marc, Aidan, Killian, Enright and Crowley] Fionn Fitz has the same number of appearances as McGuire but more starts.

When you look at their ages both, Marc and Aidan must be very close to retirement. Once these 2 go, we will have a very inexperienced defensive unit for inter-county. As such losing lads like McGuire who already have 2 seasons of intercounty experience and would have picked up a 3rd this year, and are coming into their prime footballing years is far from ideal, especially in terms of squad depth.

http://www.kerrygaa.ie/news.php?item=1583&full=y

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Kerry will be away to Kildare in the next round of the Ring championship.

Kildare seem to be improving as the year is going on,always a tough game against them but we should come through it

Down knocked out by Derry,bit of a surprise.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,101 ✭✭✭klairondavis

Kildare seem to be improving as the year is going on,always a tough game against them but we should come through it

Kildare have not been putting our best 15 hurlers out on the field this year. Kerry should be at least five or six points too good for us in Newbridge, possibly more if Keegan's influence is curtailed.

http://hoganstand.com/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=216069

Just saw the article in the above link on Hoganstand.com. Now I know Pat Spillane was one of the greatest players of all time, but he is really annoying me with some of the sh*t he's coming out with these days. Touting himself for Kerry under 21 manager repeatedly when he constantly makes it obvious he is well out of touch with the modern game is bad enough..but this is just embarassing.

"My nephew is the best minor in the country right now"..:rolleyes:
    Yeah, like games against Clare and a weak Tipp team in May are how you make such outlandish judgements..and of course, it's massively biased comment, not to mention the fact that Killian (who IS showing good signs in fairness) may not thank him for drawing such attention to him before a Munster final is even played...and going on to call for him to be playing Senior next year already?!! Talk about going overboard..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭wonga77

He is pretty good though to be fair, though I agree with your comments

Yeah, I've been surprised by Down but had suspected Derry would win at the weekend. We lost our 2 games when attempting to defend our the Ring title two years ago. Down have now suffered the same faith. Unlike two years ago though, they'll have to enter a relegation type system. The 2B loser play a relegation play-off, with the loser taking on the Rackard winner in a promotion/relegation play-off. They should safely navigate at least one of those safety nets.

Kerry winning in Newbridge,just coming up to half time

Kerry 3-7
    Kildare 11pts

The close game I expected having seen Kildare in Tralee last year.

• Advertisement

Ya Kildare pucked away last years game,

Today's game finished

Kerry 3-18
    Kildare 1-16

Wicklow won as well today beating Armagh by 6 points,3-19 to 3-13

Have to get through these tricky away games in the Ring championship. Kildare and Wicklow are dark horses.

Right shock last night with Dr Crokes losing to Rathmore in the County Championship,first game losing down here in 6 years in the Championship

What's the story with Kenmare not been able to field a team?

I hope it was the effects of the last few weeks Kerry training, but the form of some Kerry players was worrying at the weekend. Anthony Maher was anonymous for Feale Rangers. David Moran very poor for Rahilly's according to several sources. Buckley taken off injured for Crokes. Bryan Sheehan was good apparently on 40 for South Kerry.

Some kick in the nuts for Crokes..but they'll regroup I'm sure.

No harm for Crokes to have a summer off tbh - while I know they've strolled the county the past few years, they've consistently seemed leggy when playing in the All Ireland Club Championship.

The break will do them good and they'll no doubt regroup.

Glad to see East Kerry beat Legion Saturday also! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Prop Joe

Interesting to see Aidan O Mahoney have a stormer v Daithi Casey the weekend.Also Shane Ryan ( the minor keeper ) kicked 8 points from corner forward.

No harm for Crokes to have a summer off tbh - while I know they've strolled the county the past few years, they've consistently seemed leggy when playing in the All Ireland Club Championship.

The break will do them good and they'll no doubt regroup.

Glad to see East Kerry beat Legion Saturday also! :)

:confused: Break? Summer off? You do realise Crokes are playing Kenmare next weekend in the back door?

Crokes are far from finished in this year's competition and if anything this could be the kick in the backside that drives them on even more.
    Narries v Feale Rangers and Kierans v Legion are the pick of the games in round 2 and will both be interesting.
    Certain people here mightn't like to hear it, but can see Feale Rangers beating Rahilly's. They were rusty against Stacks, but game will have done them good and Maher can't possibly be as bad again, plus David Moran is struggling with injury.
    Legion v Kierans is a tight call. Brendans should see off Currow who are really not a Senior c'ship team anyway.
    Round 1 replay between West Kerry and Miltown/Castlemaine with losers playing Kilcummin. Either of them would beat Kilcummin in my view.

:confused: Break? Summer off? You do realise Crokes are playing Kenmare next weekend in the back door?

No I hadn't realised that....obviously

No I hadn't realised that....obviously

I wasn't trying to be smart, but as a guy who seems fairly clued into club/county activity I thought you'd know the Kerry c/ship has had a backdoor for a few years now.

• Advertisement

I wasn't trying to be smart, but as a guy who seems fairly clued into club/county activity I thought you'd know the Kerry c/ship has had a backdoor for a few years now.

Ah no I was being smart there, back to work after the BH weekend sure you know yourself, grumpy out! I'm grand now I'm home on the lazyboy! :)

Was this weekend the first round? I was half guessing it was the second for some reason, been playing in Cork the past few years and if you win the first round and lose the 2nd your out!

Also - as you're seeing - I'm not as clued in as I used to be....some could argue I was never clued in :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement