Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kerry GAA Discussion Thread Mod Warning Post #4167

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Stacks are pretty overrated IMO. People are talking as if nearly all their forwards are good enough for the Kerry panel, I wouldn't even have most of them on the Tralee team.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Bullseye500

keane2097 wrote: »
    Stacks are pretty overrated IMO. People are talking as if nearly all their forwards are good enough for the Kerry panel, I wouldn't even have most of them on the Tralee team.

True, I don't think any of them are near the Kerry panel. With regards to them being overrated I don't know about that I think they have the best chance of putting it up to Crokes out of all the Kerry teams.South Kerry could also be a threat if they get going and key players are fit.

The forwards struggled to break down Milltown/Castlemaine last Sunday be interesting to see how that replay goes tomorrow night.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Prop Joe

From PaddyPower

Dr. Crokes evens

Kerins O Rahillys 7/1
    Austin Stacks 8/1
    Feale Rangers 9/1
    South Kerry 9/1
    St. Kierans 10/1

Dingle 14/1
    Mid Kerry 16/1
    East Kerry 20/1
    West Kerry 20/1

Legion 25/1
    Rathmore 25/1

St Brendans 33/1
    Milltown Castlemaine 33/1

Kilcummin 40/1
    Kenmare 40/1
    Laune Rangers 40/1

St Michaels/Foilmore 66/1
    Shannon Rangers 66/1
    Currow 100/1

Strand Road are looking like a massive lay as second favourites at the moment. Squad is going to be decimated by people going abroad this summer.

Some nice odds there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

Strand Road are looking like a massive lay as second favourites at the moment. Squad is going to be decimated by people going abroad this summer.

Any word on whose heading abroad?

Boom__Boom wrote: »
    Any word on whose heading abroad?

There's a bunch gone already, and when we were beaten by Stacks in that town league game the other week the word was that something like another 8 of the starting 15 from that day were going as well.

Micheal Quirke is retired as well of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

There's a bunch gone already, and when we were beaten by Stacks in that town league game the other week the word was that something like another 8 of the starting 15 from that day were going as well.

Micheal Quirke is retired as well of course.

Really not a great sign for the championship if one of the stronger teams is going to be hit like that.

Even without Cooper, it's still hard enough to see past Crokes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,443 ✭✭✭wonga77

Crokes are still ahead of the pack even without Cooper. Theres a group of a few teams behind them and anyone of them are capable of beating each other, It depends on which district teams gets their act together

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭ciarriaithuaidh

Even allowing for ups and downs the Kerry Senior c/ship has dipped in standard massively. This is not good for development of players or from a spectator point of view.
    I'd love if the board made a couple of hard calls to rectify some of the issues.

First on my list would be "No team outside Division 1 of League allowed to compete in Senior c/ship". This would mean only clubs who were truly prepared for it would be allowed into the competition. Otherwise, they would play with their divisional team.

Applied right now for example, this would mean Laune Rangers players would play with Mid Kerry and Legion players would join up with East Kerry. Both those divisional teams would improve immeasurably.

The downside of course is that clubs would kick up a huge fuss...playing Senior c/ship is a matter of pride, but to me, it would be for the greater good. Plus, if a club can't get into division 1 then they can't claim to be a true senior club in my eyes.

There would need to be a bit of help given to divisional team for preparaton leading up to the championship also. Clubs have no obligation to release players for training or challenge games and in a lot of cases, don't. There are many cases of Divisional teams going into a 1st round game not knowing what sort of squad they will have, which of course never leads to any kind of success. A few designated weekends in April/May at the very least would allow divisional teams to assemble their best squad.

None of this will happen in reality of course. A few years back one club with a huge tradition was allowed to play Senior c/ship despite operating in Division 3 of the Co League which shows the power of the clubs and how hard it is to implement anything like what I described above. Maybe the board should look back in time and ask themselves if Tom O'Sullivan (failed to make Kerry minor squad in 1996) would have made the grade and won those 5 Celtic Crosses were it not for East Kerry's 3 in a row of 1997 to 1999 which he played on? Did Bryan Sheehan, Declan O'Sullivan, Killian Young benefit from the strong South Kerry teams of the 2000's? Did Feale Rangers do a lot for Anthony Maher and Paul Galvin?

Of course, there are things outside our control like emigration and students heading to the U.S/Britain for the summer to earn some cash, all teams are effected to a degree, but we can only control the controllables.
    No system or solution is perfect, but the current standard and situation are doing Kerry football no good whatsoever.

• Advertisement

Kerry beating Derry 2-18 to 0-0 in the hurling at half time!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭legendary.xix

Kerry 4-31
    Derry 0-11

Good win for the hurlers. They move on to Round 2A.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12 Sizing Waterford

good win for the stacks today over castlemain. Was that shane crowley playing that fellas were recomending for the kerry panel?

Can't believe Strand road are being touted as second favourites for the championship, especially with all the players going away.

Their backline is absolutley muck, few of them getting the run around by a division 2 outfit tonight...wont name players..

good win for the stacks today over castlemain. Was that shane crowley playing that fellas were recomending for the kerry panel?

On the bench.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Poor_old_gill

Can't believe Strand road are being touted as second favourites for the championship, especially with all the players going away.

Their backline is absolutley muck, few of them getting the run around by a division 2 outfit tonight...wont name players..

Very poor this year and wont be anywhere near a championship.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,828 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

Even allowing for ups and downs the Kerry Senior c/ship has dipped in standard massively. This is not good for development of players or from a spectator point of view.
    I'd love if the board made a couple of hard calls to rectify some of the issues.

First on my list would be "No team outside Division 1 of League allowed to compete in Senior c/ship". This would mean only clubs who were truly prepared for it would be allowed into the competition. Otherwise, they would play with their divisional team.

Applied right now for example, this would mean Laune Rangers players would play with Mid Kerry and Legion players would join up with East Kerry. Both those divisional teams would improve immeasurably.

The downside of course is that clubs would kick up a huge fuss...playing Senior c/ship is a matter of pride, but to me, it would be for the greater good. Plus, if a club can't get into division 1 then they can't claim to be a true senior club in my eyes.

There would need to be a bit of help given to divisional team for preparaton leading up to the championship also. Clubs have no obligation to release players for training or challenge games and in a lot of cases, don't. There are many cases of Divisional teams going into a 1st round game not knowing what sort of squad they will have, which of course never leads to any kind of success. A few designated weekends in April/May at the very least would allow divisional teams to assemble their best squad.

None of this will happen in reality of course. A few years back one club with a huge tradition was allowed to play Senior c/ship despite operating in Division 3 of the Co League which shows the power of the clubs and how hard it is to implement anything like what I described above. Maybe the board should look back in time and ask themselves if Tom O'Sullivan (failed to make Kerry minor squad in 1996) would have made the grade and won those 5 Celtic Crosses were it not for East Kerry's 3 in a row of 1997 to 1999 which he played on? Did Bryan Sheehan, Declan O'Sullivan, Killian Young benefit from the strong South Kerry teams of the 2000's? Did Feale Rangers do a lot for Anthony Maher and Paul Galvin?

Of course, there are things outside our control like emigration and students heading to the U.S/Britain for the summer to earn some cash, all teams are effected to a degree, but we can only control the controllables.
    No system or solution is perfect, but the current standard and situation are doing Kerry football no good whatsoever.

On a similar theme our club have played 11 games in the last 11 weeks and are out the next two weekends too. 13 games in 13 weeks. After that we will have 4 games in the next 13 weeks. During the summer. When pitches are good and it'll only rain three-quarters of the time.
    Then come October, November and December if you are still in the club championships and (un)lucky enough to get a run in the divisional championship, you could be out every weekend in those months too.

And then you start training in January again.

BPKS wrote: »
    On a similar theme our club have played 11 games in the last 11 weeks and are out the next two weekends too. 13 games in 13 weeks. After that we will have 4 games in the next 13 weeks. During the summer. When pitches are good and it'll only rain three-quarters of the time.
    Then come October, November and December if you are still in the club championships and (un)lucky enough to get a run in the divisional championship, you could be out every weekend in those months too.

And then you start training in January again.

Spot on the timing of games really puzzles me sometimes.

The pitches are best during the summer yet there's a lack of games played at these times!

On the bench.

the groins must still be causing him problems.

the groins must still be causing him problems.

This fella hasn't made an appearance for stacks all year, the previous posters touting Shane were trolls.Don't believe any of that nonsense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 Mike Frank Hustle

Legion have shown serious improvement under Peter Keane and a side for the future. Although someway off the Crokes Legion could still battle with the rest as they have shown so far in the club champ. Still think they will have to wait there time to upset their noisey neighbors.

Legion have shown serious improvement under Peter Keane and a side for the future. Although someway off the Crokes Legion could still battle with the rest as they have shown so far in the club champ. Still think they will have to wait there time to upset their noisey neighbors.

True some great young players including the Keane brothers..see Aidan Slattety back involved if he can get back in proper shape there's another great addition.Handy player in his minor days.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Mike Frank Hustle

True some great young players including the Keane brothers..see Aidan Slattety back involved if he can get back in proper shape there's another great addition.Handy player in his minor days.
    Don't like to be speculating but is he not in his 30's. I'm afraid his minor days are long behind him still a good club player all the same. His younger smaller brother Kieran has potential though.

Don't like to be speculating but is he not in his 30's. I'm afraid his minor days are long behind him still a good club player all the same. His younger smaller brother Kieran has potential though.

I think you're getting the brothers mixed up Frank,Kieran is the older brother as far as I know.

How is Seamus Scanlan playing these days does anyone know? As an outsider I always used love watching this man play the game in the right way. Either foot he could kick it over the bar it didnt matter to him. Perhaps if he was from a different county he would of got more credit because kerry produce so many good players over the years. An animal of a man on and off the pitch or so im told hehe.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

excellent win for the minors tonight, hammered Tipp by 17 points.

dare we believe this is finally a team good enough to win an All ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

excellent win for the minors tonight, hammered Tipp by 17 points.

dare we believe this is finally a team good enough to win an All ireland?

That was a great win,thought it would be tough game to win given the strides Tipp have made at Minor level in the past few years,

Killian Spillane must be some talent 10 points,7 from play.

Looking forward to seen how the year pans out for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭ciarriaithuaidh

Yeah that's a very good result for the minors in fairness. Was going to go up to it, but work commitments caught me.

Cork struggled a bit down in Dungarvan, won by 6 in the end. On paper at east, Kerry would appear to have a stronger team than Cork this year, but the Munster final will be in Páirc uí Chaíomh which is worth a few points to Cork and we've seen before that minor teams can be fickle in terms of form and performance on a given day.

This team does have the talent to go close to an AI and has a good manager also..a combination we haven't had in a long time in my view. Makes July 6th even more interesting!

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭stuba

Spillane is something else, kicked all his points with ease. Could have had a few more if he wanted to aswell. If we win midfield against anyone I think we can beat anyone, forwards are lethal, and midfield is one our strongest in god knows how long. Tougher challenges lay ahead. It was hard to tell tonight were we so good or were Tipp so poor. A bit of both really, I guess.

Edit: Is Páirc uí Chaíomh not out of action this year with the renovations?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

stuba wrote: »
    Spillane is something else, kicked all his points with ease. Could have had a few more if he wanted to aswell. If we win midfield against anyone I think we can beat anyone, forwards are lethal, and midfield is one our strongest in god knows how long. Tougher challenges lay ahead. It was hard to tell tonight were we so good or were Tipp so poor. A bit of both really, I guess.

Edit: Is Páirc uí Chaíomh not out of action this year with the renovations?

Don't think the renovations are starting until July so it should be available

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement